Bombers 26 - Lions 20, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ugly game.

Defences dominated.

Stats and comments coming.

Jennings has zero confidence at this point.

Late drive for a TD.

Burnham on a swing pass.

Onside effort. Not close.

Time out BC. My gawd. Slowest end to a CFL game ever.

Another TD to Burnham.

Do we have an onside kick in the arsenal?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Two words for that game. Ughh Lee.

Jennings got hammered and hammered some more. Anybody want to play QB for the Lions?

Nichols did not play well, but he did not really have to.

2017-10-14_1600.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Receiving, such as it is.

2017-10-14_1603.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hard fought game. Yup.

Is Jennings a poor quarterback? Not in my opinion. We make him into a human piñata. Throw it sooner. But no one is looking back. There is no outlet. Our receivers are well covered. He should throw the ball away. True. How many throw aways would we have per game? Quite a few methinks. Can he find an open receiver when the defence is all over him? No. LOL Did we have a good game plan to deal with the pressure the Bombers brought? No. Ummm ... No. Methinks June Jones, or Paul LaPolice, could get some excellent production out of Jonathon Jennings. (This is just an opinion on Jennings. I will not debate it.)

OK. That is Jennings.

How about the offensive game planning? Play calling?

Pass protection?

We played tough on defence. Did we make the Bombers look bad? I will have to look at the tape. Or did the Bombers not play well offensively? We were intense. Solly :thup:

Special teams? Ummm ... not good. Punt returned for a touchdown. Two horrible efforts at onside kicks at the end when we, amazingly, were still alive.

Talent? Fire how many of them? Or maybe the International O Linemen. Or the International D Linemen. Or maybe half the team. Like Rocky Bridges said: "I coached them good. But they sure did play bad." (repeated quote) My opinion. --> Lack of talent is not why our record is the way it is. (See June Jones. Same team. Same talent. Different results.)

Individual coaching? Coaching of units? Feel free to criticize or defend. This CFL fan will make no comment at this time, but my views have been stated many times on this site over the years.

As I noted in the ownership thread, David Braley needs to do Wally Buono a favour and sell the team. Otherwise, Wally will hold to his loyalty to Braley and stay next year. Would it be any better? Methinks, in his heart, Wally wants out. But Braley is holding on and holding on. For what? More money? $20,000,000? Not going to happen. If David Sidoo loses interest, due to Braley dithering, this fan will be very disappointed.

Just IMO ...

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WINNIPEG — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers bounced back from their tough Week 16 loss by defeating the BC Lions 26-20 in a strong defensive performance at home on Saturday. The Lions rallied back late to bring the game within a score near the end, but the Bombers’ defence stood strong to seal the victory and clinch a playoff spot.

Defence and special teams led the way for the Bombers all game long, and defensive back Kevin Fogg made a big impact with both an interception and a pivotal 88-yard punt return touchdown that gave Winnipeg early momentum.

TJ Heath added a 64-yard interception return touchdown late in the game, and the Bomber’s defensive brought heavy pressure to Jonathon Jennings for all four quarters.

Despite losing star receiver Darvin Adams early in the game due to an upper body injury, the Bombers found a way to move the ball and grind out a tough win.
https://www.cfl.ca/games/2438/bc-lions- ... /#/preview

Don Miller
Legend

:dizzy: This Team has been poorly coached on special teams for years, nearly every team has successfully performed an onside kick or ran a third down kick on us. Our punt return coverage has given up huge chunks of yardage and TD's. Kari Jones is NOT the answer as OC I never thought I would say Chap ball was better. Rainey and Williams wasted talent. We run the ball well and then we stop?? Our O and D lines are woeful. Time to sell this Team and start and new regime. I will not buy season tickets until I see the positive changes. I have been a loyal fan since 1959 Willie Fleming Randy Duncan era. We have many good players at skill positions but out GM has not fixed the most critical part of the Team, Protection an a Pass rush...
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Don Miller wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:57 pm
:dizzy: This Team has been poorly coached on special teams for years, nearly every team has successfully performed an onside kick or ran a third down kick on us. Our punt return coverage has given up huge chunks of yardage and TD's. Kari Jones is NOT the answer as OC I never thought I would say Chap ball was better. Rainey and Williams wasted talent. We run the ball well and then we stop?? Our O and D lines are woeful. Time to sell this Team and start and new regime. I will not buy season tickets until I see the positive changes. I have been a loyal fan since 1959 Willie Fleming Randy Duncan era. We have many good players at skill positions but out GM has not fixed the most critical part of the Team, Protection an a Pass rush...
Here here. I'm with you. Such sub par coaching. Dorazio, Jones, Washington, Simmons. Don't let the don't hit your ass on the way out. Pitiful.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have lost 7 of their last 8 games and are on the brink of elimination. One more loss or one more win by both Edmonton and Saskatchewan will eliminate them from the playoffs for the first time in the David Braley era. It has been a good run but the wheels have fallen off.

When teams are struggling, it doesn't take much to shatter their confidence. We've seen the Lions play well for three quarters and then give up big plays or make critical turnovers in the fourth quarter when the game is on the line. Or the offence plays well but the defence and special teams don't.

Today the defence played an outstanding game, holding the Bomber offence to 3 field goals, one of which was set up by an interception and one by a partially blocked punt. Matt Nichols was held to 172 yards passing and Andrew Harris to 52 yards rushing on 16 carries (3.2-yard average). Solomon Elimimian played like the leader he is, leading all players with 11 tackles. Chandler Fenner and Micah Awe added 7 tackles each and Buddy Jackson had 4. Jackson was a huge upgrade on Anthony Gaitor at field corner. For the first time in two years, the wide side of the B.C. secondary was not a huge liability. The Bombers' longest reception was 14 yards.

The defensive effort, unfortunately, was wasted. Jonathon Jennings was terrible. We can debate why, but it seems to me that the Lions did not have a good game plan to give him confidence, and when Jennings' confidence is shaken and the passing game isn't working, he makes poor decisions that hurt the team even more. That happened today, giving up 10 points on 2 interceptions but the problems started from the opening play of the game when the Lions tried a deep fly pattern to Chris Williams. It went downhill from there. The Bombers did a good job of doubling Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham, knowing Jennings locks onto those two receivers. As a result, he held the ball too long and made some poor throws. The game plan didn't seem to give him a lot of quick passes to build his confidence and keep the defence off balance. Jennings wound up completing 24 of 39 passes for 267 yards and 2 late TDs but most of that offence came after the game was all but decided. Jeremiah Johnson ran the ball well, picking up 67 yards on 11 carries (6.1-yard average) but it wasn't enough.

The Bombers didn't try any special teams trickery today. They didn't need to. They got an early TD from Kevin Fogg on an 88-yard punt return when Chandler Fenner lost contain and they partially blocked a Ty Long punt, leading to a Winnipeg field goal drive.

The Lions have lots of talent on offence and defence. Jennings has the physical tools to be a great quarterback. The team just hasn't come together this year. A change in ownership, management and coaching can't come soon enough. The fans are restless.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:12 pm
The Lions have lost 7 of their last 8 games and are on the brink of elimination. One more loss or one more win by both Edmonton and Saskatchewan will eliminate them from the playoffs for the first time in the David Braley era. It has been a good run but the wheels have fallen off.

When teams are struggling, it doesn't take much to shatter their confidence. We've seen the Lions play well for three quarters and then give up big plays or make critical turnovers in the fourth quarter when the game is on the line. Or the offence plays well but the defence and special teams don't.

Today the defence played an outstanding game, holding the Bomber offence to 3 field goals, one of which was set up by an interception and one by a partially blocked punt. Matt Nichols was held to 172 yards passing and Andrew Harris to 52 yards rushing on 16 carries (3.2-yard average). Solomon Elimimian played like the leader he is, leading all players with 11 tackles. Chandler Fenner and Micah Awe added 7 tackles each and Buddy Jackson had 4. Jackson was a huge upgrade on Anthony Gaitor at field corner. For the first time in two years, the wide side of the B.C. secondary was not a huge liability. The Bombers' longest reception was 14 yards.

The defensive effort, unfortunately, was wasted. Jonathon Jennings was terrible. We can debate why, but it seems to me that the Lions did not have a good game plan to give him confidence, and when Jennings' confidence is shaken and the passing game isn't working, he makes poor decisions that hurt the team even more. That happened today, giving up 10 points on 2 interceptions but the problems started from the opening play of the game when the Lions tried a deep fly pattern to Chris Williams. It went downhill from there. The Bombers did a good job of doubling Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham, knowing Jennings locks onto those two receivers. As a result, he held the ball too long and made some poor throws. The game plan didn't seem to give him a lot of quick passes to build his confidence and keep the defence off balance. Jennings wound up completing 24 of 39 passes for 267 yards and 2 late TDs but most of that offence came after the game was all but decided. Jeremiah Johnson ran the ball well, picking up 67 yards on 11 carries (6.1-yard average) but it wasn't enough.

The Bombers didn't try any special teams trickery today. They didn't need to. They got an early TD from Kevin Fogg on an 88-yard punt return when Chandler Fenner lost contain and they partially blocked a Ty Long punt, leading to a Winnipeg field goal drive.

The Lions have lots of talent on offence and defence. Jennings has the physical tools to be a great quarterback. The team just hasn't come together this year. A change in ownership, management and coaching can't come soon enough. The fans are restless.
Great post
Blitz
Team Captain

The Lions’ offence faced major pressure throughout the first half, with quarterback Jonathan Jennings struggling to find time to throw the ball against the Bombers’ stout defensive front. Running back Jeremiah Johnson ran the ball well in the first half with 56 yards on the ground, but BC’s passing game had a difficult time getting the team into scoring position. The Lions were forced to punt the ball away on their first six drives of the game. (cfl.ca)
Jennings continued to face heavy pressure every time he dropped back to make a play. With his passing pocket collapsing and defenders clogging his throwing lanes.... (cfl.ca)
Well, guys, guys, you know, you know, we just didn't execute, you know, you know.

Prior to this game, Wally Buono said the theme remained the same. Our Leos needed to 'execute". Manny Arseneaux said exactly the same thing.

Sometimes, I feel like, instead of being a regular football fan, I'm in a 'church of football' , with the same ritualistic sayings repeated as if they are gospel.

Our defense had a very good game overall. They held Matt Nichols to 172 yards passing. We finally covered Andrew Harris out of the backfield and held him to 33 yards in pass reception yardage.

But, as with most of our losses (7 losses out of the last 8 games), if one unit has a decent game, you can be sure the other two units will not. Over the past two games our offence put up 720 yds. of passing but our defense failed us. In this game our offence and special teams failed us.

But overall this is a poorly coached football team. The lack of discipline, the penalties, the incredibly poor pass blocking, the design of many passing plays, the special teams breakdowns and poor blocking is a reflection of our coaching staff.

The jumped route interception on the throw to Manny Arseneaux was an excellent example of how poorly our offensive passing design is, combined with our predictability. Rather than running a crisp sideline pattern, Manny ran a route or was given a route that gave the defensive back an outstanding angle to jump the route. The Bombers knew Jennings was having to throw quickly and predicted the type of route Manny would run.

We did the same thing a few plays later. A Bomber defender jumped the same terrible route, only this time it was Chris Williams running the route. It looked like a sure interception but Jennings gunned the football in there so hard that the Bombers back just missed it.

When Jonathan Jennings walked away from this game, at the final whistle he should have thrown up a white flag and surrendered. What punishment he took. The hits that he took in this game were incredible. It's shocking that he was able to walk away from this game let alone lead us on some late game drives. When Jennings, being tackled in the pocket in the fourth quarter, he threw the football towards a Bombers lineman, I guessed that he might be punch drunk at the time.

We should sit Jennings down for a couple of games and let him physically and mentally heal. He has elite tools but right now he looks like a classic case of PTSD. Its been a tough season and the physical and mental wear and tear of such poor pass protection, hits, sacks, and pressures could result in us destroying his confidence to the point that he won't recover. And as Leos fans we need him to recover.

Andrew Harris said the Bombers have better coaching. I agree with him totally.

I agree with him of course, as my posts often have focused on our coaching.

I watched Hamilton lose a heart breaker to Calgary last night. But Hamilton, under Jones, was one pass interference call away from defeating a Calgary team they lost to 60-1 earlier this season. Hamilton is a different team under June Jones than Kent Austin.

Amazing how the Tabbies started 'executing' so much better under a new coach.

As I watched the game, as happens often when I observe other teams coaching staffs, I felt embarrassed by our coaching. I watch other CFL Head Coaches, with their head sets on, communicating with their offensive and defensive coordinators and looking at their game plans on a plastic coated sheet and its so much different than watching Wallly standing with his arms crossed, biting his lip, standing alone and detached, and then yelling at a player when he comes to the sideline. Its basically all he does except for saying "Count 'em up' on special teams.

I watch opposing Head Coaches talking to their quarterback on the sideline at times while Wally doesn't communicate with ours. In the Hamilton/Calgary game last night, I watched the special teams group around their coach, as he held up a sheet above their heads, showing them the type of return that he wanted them to block and run and realize that there is not that type of strategy going on with our coaching staff.

Its a sad thought that I have but a true one, that I believe, hypothetically, that if every CFL coach was not allowed to have any assistant coaches and had to coach their teams all by themselves, Buono would be lucky to win a game and it wouldn't matter which team you gave him to coach. I truly believe all the other CFL coaches, with perhaps the exception of Kavis Reed, are so much more knowledgeable than Buono and have the expertise to guide their teams to victory whereas Buono would be lost.

They say that a leader has five bases of power 1) the power of positive reinforcement 2) the power of negative reinforcement 3) the formal authority of their position 4) the power of expertise and knowledge and 5) the power of their personality (without the authority of their position).

The big question is always "Would that person who is the boss be considered a leader, without the authority of his position. Would others want to follow him, without his formal authority.

They say that a true leader doesn't operate mostly from the power of negative reinforcement or consequences and also doesn't operate mostly from the power of his formal authority (position).

Great leaders operate from the power of positive reinforcement, from expertise and knowledge, and from the power of their personality. They use negative reinforcement and their positional power rarely and effectively.

Buono mainly functions from the power bases of negative reinformcment and consequences and the power of his positions in the organization. His long record helps him but the past is often forgotten in the day to day and game to game focus that is football.

Usually we look up to a leader who knows more than we do. Knowledge and expertise are power. We admire and respect a person who can teach us and role model for us as an example. Often you can't even get a straight answer from Buono. Dickenson said that too, when he was playing here. Buono often likes to play games with words.

I recognize Buono's long record, including his successful times in Calgary and his early success here in B.C. I also recognize his unsuccessful times and the things that surrounded him when he was successful and when he wasn't.

This Lions season is inexcusable. We really should have a Head Coach in here for our Leos who understands how the CFL game has changed and how to get the most potential out of our talent. That is definitely not happening.

Buono had years and years to mentor his successor, as well as be a role model for him. Hufnagel did that successfully in Calgary but we got Mike Benevedes shouting at assistant coaches and players on the sidelines and screaming at officials. But I also believe that Benevedes would have done a better job without Wally's meddling.

Wallly could have helped Tedford more but instead became a hindrance who undermined him. But Wally also could have hired a new Head Coach, instead of returning to the sidelines. But the problem was that Buono believed that he was a much smarter Head Coach than anyone and all he needed to do was return to the sidelines, let everyone know who was boss, kick some butt on occasion, and the outcome would be another Grey Cup.

It hasn't worked out that way and Buono is likely confused and doesn't understand why we are having a losing season, other than for some unknown reason, the players are 'not executing', or 'not making plays' as if they can be willed, or are 'not angry enough'.

What the players need are better strategies but instead they just get blame.

Our Leos, with a few strategy changes, could have defeated the Bombers today. But we had no answers for the Bombers pressure. Jennings when he had time on rare occasions and a receiver open, he made completions.

We started this season with a winning record and were 5-2 at one point. But we stayed simple, as other teams added to their repetoirs, as what usually happens with a Buono coached team. We get easier and easier to scout as a season continues because we continue to do the same stuff while other teams become more difficult to scout.

But hope is eternal and I like most of the players on this Leos team. They are fast, athletic, and talented. I just can't give up hope because I appreciate the talent and just can't give up on it and try to keep optimistic that these players will find a way to overcome the chains that bind them from the coaching staff and win a game or two before this sorry season ends.

The vets on our Leos football team have said this is their most frustrating season ever in their careers. Good reason for that - they know how much talent is on this Leos team.

But one series of plays reflected all that is wrong with our Leos. We stopped the Bombers but Bazzie took an unsportsmanlike penalty that gave the Bombers a first down. Then the Bombers fumbled but Awe was back on the field when he had not stayed out for 3 plays after being injured. That fumble could have been a possible momentum changer.

This Leos team has tuned out Buono. They are undisciplined at times. They are confused at times. They are also completely frustrated. You can not only see that on Chris Rainey's face but also on Jonathan Jennings face and Bryan Burnham's face.

They never quit today. They played hard. But they are a team of players who are looking for answers and strategic help from a coaching staff who thinks the answer is to keep telling them to 'execute' to 'make plays', to play 'angry' and to play with 'pride'.

Well, guys, guys, you know, you know....they need more than that you know, you know.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
maxlion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:

Great breakdown as usual. The only thing I would add is penalties. The one for putting Awe back early that overturned the fumble was terrible. Bazzie took a bad one as well, and there were others.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As I watched this game, I called about 5 plays that were going to happen before they did. Mostly on the offense and mostly having to do with pressure. Sadly, a decent defensive effort today was wasted due to offensive woes and special teams failures. I wish I could have said I expected differently but this teams only proficiency seems to be in finding ways to lose. At this point I could care less if by some miracle they found themselves in the playoffs. They don't deserve it and it would be an embarrassment if they did get in. Lose every game from now on. Only way change is going to happen is if they stink so bad, change is forced on them.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MacNews
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:20 pm

They say that a leader has five bases of power 1) the power of positive reinforcement 2) the power of negative reinforcement 3) the formal authority of their position 4) the power of expertise and knowledge and 5) the power of their personality (without the authority of their position).
I agree Blitz. Very good post. Very thorough.

I wish Wally was the Monday-Friday coach and someone else was the game-day coach. I think we would see drastically different results.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
It has been a good run but the wheels have fallen off.
... the problems started from the opening play of the game when the Lions tried a deep fly pattern to Chris Williams.
Terrible first sequence on offence.
The game plan didn't seem to give him a lot of quick passes to build his confidence and keep the defence off balance.
Huge pressure by the Bombers. Tons of hits. JJ10 is young and healthy. If this keeps up he will join the long list of B.C. QBs who have spent much time in the infirmary.
Excellent post by BCFAN.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes sums up the game and the season, with quotes from Wally and several players:
“It was a lack of execution,” Jennings said when asked to identify the problem.
“The defence came to play,” said Burnham, who caught two late touchdown passes.

“Offensively, we didn’t want it enough. We didn’t get serious until the end of the game. It wasn’t serious for us until there were two minutes left in the game and we’re like, oh, we’ve got to do something.”
"It’s football,” said Buono. “It’s a game of emotion. When you step on the field, you have to turn on the juices. When they played with urgency it was totally different.”
Ed Willes: Inept offence pushes Lions off the edge into deep, dark funk