RedBlacks 30 - Lions 25, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Crushing loss.

Giving up a 19 point lead.

Stats and comments coming.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
aklawitter
All Star

well, whitecaps are making a championship run, NHL season is starting, NFL is in full swing, see ya next year, hopefully with a new HC OC DC STC OLC DLC
Last edited by aklawitter on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Whitecaps lose Lions lose Canucks going to lose. Oh well. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JJ10 26/40 375 yards, 3 TDs, 1 Int.

Williams won't win that jump ball. He never left the ground. Burnie and Manny would be odds on to win it. But that is something we do as an offence, throw it up for grabs. There are going to be some interceptions.

2017-10-07_1908.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nice to see Manny at full speed.

Shaq J looking good.

JJ24 giving his all, as always.

2017-10-07_1910.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

With 5 minutes left in quarter 3, we are up by 19 points.

* Rainey does not let the punt go into the end zone.

* Burnham fumbles.

* Williams drops a TD pass in his mitts.

* We give up a trick play, onside kickoff recovery, and the debacle is on. Ottawa saw a vulnerability on film, and designed the play to take advantage of a tendency.

* Wally blows a challenge, leaving none for the end of the game.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Our talent looks good enough to me. But, after 40 minutes of good football, we went brain dead.

Just one sack given up. Although there was pressure on Jennings.

Until the collapse our defence was decent.

We did see some new things, for what it is worth.

We had more quick hitters for JJ10.

We had a screen pass to Rainey. We tried to use him more.

We had some new looks on the defensive LOS, moving guys around. We did some press coverage.

We went for it on 3rd and 1.

But, ultimately, we blew the game big time. Embarrassing. We completely collapsed.

Apparently Wally challenged the team, saying he could deal with the pressure, but could they? Well, the answer is that we folded.

Prior to the collapse, the effort was good. Then guys started to mess up. A long list of screw-ups. Rainey. Williams. Purifoy. Gaitor. Fabien. Palmer.

JJ10 almost pulled out the win. Almost. Burnham nearly had possession in the end zone on the final play.

Sad finish.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Greg Ellingson is an excellent receiver, but we let him beat us time and time again.

7 for 149 yards, 2 TDs.

Harris 28/38, 73.7%, 380 yards, 3 TDs

Blitz
Team Captain

Jennings passed for 375 yards and 3 touchdowns.

He drove the offence with skill and his completion to Burnham, inside the Ottawa 10 yard line set up a last offensive play and a great opportunity to win the game.

But Powell was called for holding on the play (and it was a hold) and that meant a long throw into the end zone and Burnham almost came down with it.

But in the end, it was a terrible loss that of course reflected a "guys, guys, you know, you know....a lack of execution...you know.

Of course.

Playoffs are over unless the Bombers collapse.

I am not surprised that we did not have the great season some anticipated. With Buono at the helm, it tempered my expectations, even with the impressive talent on this Leos team.

But not making the playoffs, with this team, is not what should have happened and the responsbibility starts and ends with Buono.

June Jones is an example of the difference in Hamilton. If Austin would have remained at the helm, it could have been said that it was a lack of player execution. But Jones took over from Kent Austin and suddenly the Tiger Cats started winning. There is no way they just coincidentally started executing so much better at the very same time June Jones was hired.

Had we had a coaching change mid-season, I believe we would be looking at a much more positive result.

Benevedes was fired and Tedford pushed out with results better than this.

But Buono, as the GM, will give Buono the HC a pat on the back for doing such a great job this year, give Buono the HC a raise, and blame it all on a lack of player execution.

The script now is more than worn thin. B.C. Lions fans deserve so much better.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
prj
Starter

Disgraceful performance, about what one might expect when amateurs (coaches, players and officials) play against professionals.

While I appreciate his past efforts, I do NOT think Wally should return next year. If it were my team, I would clean out the entire coaching staff tomorrow.

In a game full of unprofessional coaching moments, I think the most telling was the short kickoff that was recovered. I haven't kept a tally, but there was not the first time we have seen teams take advantage of the fact that the Lions cheat on kickoff returns by not covering the outside. That is a coaching issue. Somebody should walk -- tonight -- for that stupidity.

There were others. Wally's coaching is just not up to speed any more.

It probably doesn't matter, because Toronto is clearly not long for the League, even with good coaching. Montreal and Vancouver will follow in short order, I suspect.

We must learn to honor the 12th man and depend on Pete Carroll.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/07/redblacks ... ory-lions/
Harris and the REDBLACKS controlled the remainder of the game as they clawed their way back into the match by scoring 24 unanswered points. The comeback started when Jerrell Gavins tackled Bryan Burnham and knocked the ball lose. Jonathan Rose recovered the fumble, giving Ottawa’s offence control deep in Lions territory. The REDBLACKS made the most of the turnover as Harris found Ellingson wide open just two plays later for the REDBLACKS’ first major of the game. The two-point convert attempt was no good.
Following the touchdown, the REDBLACKS attempted an onside kick to try and cut into the Lions’ lead. Andre Pruneau recovered the ball, once again giving Ottawa possession. Diontae Spencer had huge back-to-back plays for the REDBLACKS. His first catch of the short drive was a 29-yard gain. On the next play, he took a short pass from Harris and blew past the Lions’ defence. The receiver leapt into the end zone and knocked over the marker, but was ruled out of bounds just before crossing the plane. Ottawa challenged the play and were rewarded with a major to cut the Lions’ lead to one score.
The REDBLACKS took over the lead for the first time in the match at the beginning of the fourth quarter when Harris found Ellingson again for his second receiving touchdown of the game. Ellingson broke away from his defender and was wide open to make the catch. He ran untouched the rest of the way into the end zone for a 45-yard major.
We went stone cold dead with 5 minutes left in quarter 3.

Wally's challenge of a call backfired. As did his challenge to the team, saying he could handle the pressure, but could they?

About the time of the onside kick recovery by Ottawa, our guys must have been getting the heebie jeebie shakes. It was all falling apart.

Jennings did not have the shakes, however. He led the team down to scoring range with a few seconds left on the clock. A penalty brought it back out, but he very nearly pulled out the victory. My hat goes off to him. He has been under extraordinary pressure this year. IMO he has weathered it. This fan supports him. :thup:

leo4life
All Star

Farhan Lalji saying Bouno is part of the problem in BC
brihind88
prospect

This was just pathetic and unacceptable.
This team has the talent , but not the character.

I have seen this before.
Get a big lead , then go to sleep while the other team works their ass off.

I will not give Ottawa credit as much as I will accuse the Lions of just tanking.
Many mistakes in this game.

However, WTF is up with going for 2 2pt converts.
Kick those and the last play comes down to a FG to tie.

I love this team and will be a Lions fan in Calgary till I die.
I am just pissed and disappointed .
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Been awhile for away for had difficulty logging in. Been watching Lions a long time since 1971 or 72 and this reminds me of when I started when Eagles Keys was the coach and Moorhead the quarterback. This is a bad team and unless major changes happen in the off season, it will be more of same next year and attendance will continue to decline. I sadly predicted Lions would lose and they did. I think Buono should be fired. He put this team together and the coaching staff and they have been a major disappointment despite all the talent and a bounce back year last year. I really do not know how they can promote the team next year for Jennings has not been good this year and they will have likely their worst season in years. They probably will not win again this year. Maybe Toronto, but right Lions are the second worst team in the league ahead of Montreal since the 6th game. They have gone 2 and 7 since beginning 4-1. How can Buono be back and if he is which I think will happen, if he keeps all the coaching staff intact, they will have a hard time selling tickets and season tickets sales will drop.

I like Buono, but 2 and 7 in the last 10 is embarrassing. It is getting to the point where I have lost interest in watching the games. Tonight I had to work and caught the end of the game on the radio. Two bad penalties on the final drive. Also their import offensive tackles are not very good.

One disappointed fan. Next week, I think they play in Winnipeg. No way they win. Hard to win there anyway and with this team it is highly unlikely.
Last edited by JohnnyMusso on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Way too much yardage given up by our defence.

380 through the air. 94 on the ground.

What was Purifoy doing on that TD to Ellingson? First a grab. Then he lets go. Ellingson gets an easy TD. It looked like Purifoy thought he would get called for interference anyway. He looked very confused, dispirited and disinterested.

We got beat by two-move routes over and over. Ellingson lit us up.

2017-10-07_2027.png