Is Wally Staying around in 2018?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CONNECTICUT YANKEE
prospect

I was wondering if anyone can confirm the information in this article in The Montreal Gazette in
regards to WB's contract status.Is this a personal services option(marketing/meet-n-greet) or does
WB stay as GM for the 2018 season? Does WB stay to right the ship in a hands-on/lawnchair mode from
the Surrey rooftop like the Jeff Tedford era? This is the first that I had seen of this 2018 option.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... m-a-master

Sadly, It appears more likely that the ownership situation is going to drag on for another year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I have read that Wally has a personal services contract with Braley for 2018 but I don't know anything beyond that. He has not said anything publicly about his future.
CardiacKid
Legend

Just a hunch but I think Wally feels more impetus to call it a day than Braley. Of course, it could be entirely the other way; namely Wally has no desire to completely sever his life in football.

We have had timetables for the sale announced only to go poof. The owner is not very open about what he is planning and I guess that is his right. But I hope he realizes the damage this heel-dragging is creating.

Perhaps Wally is waiting on Braley to say something of a concrete nature before he makes his plans known? Maybe Wally is hedging and that is impacting any further developments in the supposed sale of the team?

I am not holding my breath. I don't think the powers that be feel any urgency to move forward. It could be they are totally immune to any impetus to sell and are quite content to remain in a holding pattern.

All in all, Just my opinion...is it coloured by the frustration of the start-stop-maybe start of this whole process? Totally. But I certainly don't have any special insight other than what minimal amount of reporting is dedicated to the topic.
ZLions
Rookie

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Wally stays around for one more year. As far fetched as it sounds, Lulay will probably be healthy by then, and if he stays healthy somehow we could probably win a lot of games next year. And honestly, if we end up missing the playoffs this year, no way Wally could go out like this. Again probably unpopular opinion, but just my two cents.
BC 1988
Legend

IMO the organization looks rudderless, and the waiting for something to happen (sale) with no resolution will only make it worse. (Much like the Argos were in the final stages of Braley's ownership of that team).
Since Wally is still "under contract" (to the current owner) through 2018, it's entirely possible everything will be the status quo at this time next year.
The club's sale will change everything.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:04 am
Just a hunch but I think Wally feels more impetus to call it a day than Braley. Of course, it could be entirely the other way; namely Wally has no desire to completely sever his life in football.

We have had timetables for the sale announced only to go poof. The owner is not very open about what he is planning and I guess that is his right. But I hope he realizes the damage this heel-dragging is creating.

Perhaps Wally is waiting on Braley to say something of a concrete nature before he makes his plans known? Maybe Wally is hedging and that is impacting any further developments in the supposed sale of the team?

I am not holding my breath. I don't think the powers that be feel any urgency to move forward. It could be they are totally immune to any impetus to sell and are quite content to remain in a holding pattern.

All in all, Just my opinion...is it coloured by the frustration of the start-stop-maybe start of this whole process? Totally. But I certainly don't have any special insight other than what minimal amount of reporting is dedicated to the topic.
Just a hunch myself. Wherever the prospective sale sits I think Wally is in the loop. I'd like to think Braley would have Wally in the loop given Wally's position with the club and the relationship and trust they have built over these 15 years. There is nothing that has indicated anything other than a deep and mutual respect between the two. As such Braley should feel he can discuss such information with Wally and know whatever is discussed will not leave the room. If Braley is seriously talking and/or negotiating with 1 or 2 groups I'm sure Buono is well aware of that and the sort of timeline Braley has in mind. Whether he does or doesn't want to return in 2018 should have zero bearing or impact on negotiations.

As for Wally's future my gut feel is this will be his swan song in his long held roles of GM and HC. I think after Braley's health scare last year he is motivated to sell is capable of handling the transaction as opposed to leaving his widow and/or estate to deal with it should something else hit him health-wise. Who knows maybe it would already be done had that health issue last year not cost him the better part of a year to work on it. I honestly believe it will get done and announced by the end of this calendar year at the latest. If Wally is to remain with the club in 2018 it would be in some form of a consulting or advisory role to stay involved in the game but not 24/7/365. It really all would depend on new ownership and what they want to do in terms of transition. In terms of being GM I think Wally's exit will coincide with Braley's. That certainly would make for the smoothest transition.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

ZLions wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:02 pm
Honestly I wouldn't mind if Wally stays around for one more year. As far fetched as it sounds, Lulay will probably be healthy by then, and if he stays healthy somehow we could probably win a lot of games next year. And honestly, if we end up missing the playoffs this year, no way Wally could go out like this. Again probably unpopular opinion, but just my two cents.
It would be a difficult decision to make but I think if Wally was still in charge this offseason he would be faced with the same decision he had to make in the past when they parted ways with first Dave Dickenson then later Buck Pierce. There gets to be a point where a team can no longer afford to operate relying on a QB who they cannot without confidence rely on him to stay healthy through most of the season. Unfortunately for Travis who is a wonderful a person as one can find in pro sports he's at that point where the Lions cannot afford to toss all their eggs in his basket as starter.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
don corleone
Starter

Good discussion guys. Very pertinent topic. #1 problem with the team.

Leadership starts at the top.

What about a community ownership similar to some of the other franchises?

Seems all you need is a politically correct board of directors and a big line of credit backed by the province and Bob's your uncle. Works for three of the most stable franchises in the league.

Vancouver is a huge part of the CFL. Getting it right is a must.

Good luck
BC 1988
Legend

don corleone wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Seems all you need is a politically correct board of directors and a big line of credit backed by the province and Bob's your uncle. Works for three of the most stable franchises in the league.

Good luck
As someone who moved to BC in 1988 (hence the handle), I'm curious about community ownership as well. It's my understanding that the Lions were. Long time fans (and there are quite a few on this board) can provide insight into what happened. Online searches don't provide much detail for that period, but there is plenty about the chaotic '90s of individual owners that followed.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Good luck
It could work here if there was a next time but the current owner wants to be compensated fairly as he has other things he also likes to donate his hard earned wealth to and I genuinely believe he wants to sell to the right CFL minded people. Right now Wally is getting the fan base down to where the team might get a buyer as it'd be like buying stocks on the lows believing the stock should soon be assuming an upward trend.

The Lions started that way (community owned) when I was young and they often made front page news with the high profile business leaders as directors but mostly for the wrong reasons - FIRING coaches.

Wally has to stay for continuity sake but having said that he's sucked at picking the last two preceding HCs (Benny and Jeff T) so having said that he'd not be my first pick to select another HC. Some might argue he should not have taken the sidelines again this season but I'd hate to see a new owner burdened with a huge payout of a HC.

QB injury this season for BC was a problem and Jennings is not yet fully back to his old ways. Also other teams now looking very decent making the Lions look worse. Bombers, Riders and even the struggling Esks today (adding Swayze Waters) just took a tick or two to the upside as kicking there has hurt them in their losing games.

I don't grasp what Marcel B has not had any influence I can see in the offence schemes.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

While we're on this topic...who would people here like to see as the next GM and next HC?

For GM it looks to me like McEvoy and/or Simon are being groomed for that role. I hope we retain both, though I could understand McEvoy being miffed if he's passed up for the job. Ed Hervey would also be an interesting option. He did a good job in Edmonton and won a Grey Cup. Brock Sunderland is another good option.

At HC...well for starters I would fire both coordinators so I wouldn't be interested in promoting one of them. Among current CFL retreads, Paul LaPolice would probably be atop my list. He has HC experience, has spent time away from the coaching ranks, and is now having a successful years as OC in Winnipeg. Rick Campbell would also be great if we could pry him out of Ottawa, but my guess is that would require probably giving him a GM role as well. Not sure if I want to have a GM/HC, but if we did go that route it would have to be someone who has A LOT of experience (like Buono or Hufnagel). And then there's Danny Maciocia. Won a Grey Cup as a HC in Edmonton, has been in the CIS for a while since...could he be due for a return?

EDIT: Or the new owner could just shell out $15M per year to try to lure Jim Harbaugh over here. :rockin:
Roar you Lions roar!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I was thinking that LaPolice might be a coaching candidate.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And maybe you could tap Trestman for GM
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Does La Police want to leave Winnipeg to become a HC or stay as a OC in Winnipeg, home of his wife and in-laws?

Does Trestman want to be a GM? I think he just wants to coach.

Noel Thorpe might make a good HC, but I don't think he is all that easy to get along with, not much of a people person.
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:40 pm
Does La Police want to leave Winnipeg to become a HC or stay as a OC in Winnipeg, home of his wife and in-laws?

Does Trestman want to be a GM? I think he just wants to coach.

Noel Thorpe might make a good HC, but I don't think he is all that easy to get along with, not much of a people person.
Wasn't aware of Lapo's family situation.

Trestman I don't see leaving Toronto. When he went to Toronto he stipulated that he wanted Jim Popp as his GM. I don't see him leaving after one year, or walking away from that.
Roar you Lions roar!