TiCats 24 - Lions 23, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

027 Green making some nice cuts. Mathews obliterating a defender.

027.png
028 Huge gainer on the ground.

028.png
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tasker wide open in the end zone.

030.png
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

031 Jennings to Williams on a crossing route for a good gain.

031.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jennings throws a beautiful dart to Burnham, who elevates, in his distinctive style, to make the catch.

033.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

035 Same drive to take the lead. JJ24 spin move and huge gainer. Our guys played hard. For a couple of teams, last in their divisions, I thought both teams played well and played hard (with lots of mistakes, Yes). Lots of hustle, as seen in this shot. Very satisfying to win. Heartbreaking to lose.

035.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

037 That close. Helluva catch under pressure to keep the drive alive.

037.png
038 Heart break.

038.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

039 The TiCats like their new coach. After his long career, with many stops, he has earned it. Jones has dialed up many playbooks in his time. This CFL fan hopes he makes a home in the CFL.

039.png

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:49 pm
ZLions wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:33 pm
Just a quick question guys, did Bryant Turner Jr. even dress for this one? What happened to him, he was supposed to be one of our top players this season. Another victim of the ratio?
Saw him at the game on the concourse.

His wife just gave birth, so he missed most of practice week.

DH :cool:
In addition to returning home for the new baby, Turner has lost his starting spot to a national, Junior Luke. He last played three weeks ago at nose tackle when Mic'hael Brooks was hurt. Turner has been extended on the one-game injured list in the past two weeks. He may stay there until someone else gets hurt.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:04 pm
After the Hamilton loss, we got a rare, more detailed scapegoating " When questioned about our lack of success in the red zone and calling two pass plays from the Hamilton 3 yard line, Buono said he was not happy with our decision making regarding the run/pass option.

What run pass option. We didn't roll out Jennings on those two plays from the 3 yard line, providing a run/pass option. If we gave Jennings the option of calling a run or pass play, which I didn't interpret the comment as such, then that was not wise either.

We should have called a running play to Johnson on first down. If Jennings thought the Hamilton defensive line was bunched in tight, he could have pulled the football and ran to the edge. The reality is that we called two pass plays but Wally wouldn't accept responsibility for those calls.

If we had wanted a run/pass option, we should have used a misdirection fake handoff to Johnson and used a semi-boot or sprint out play for Jennings. We didn't.
Good post, Blitz. What's more puzzling about the run/pass option at the 3 yard line is that we heard before the game that the coaches planned to simplify the play calls for Jennings so he wouldn't have to think as much and yet they left him with a complicated option to call at the line of scrimmage rather than a simple (and conservative) running play to Johnson.

The Lions were in a similar situation in the red zone final three minutes, with second and 10 at the Hamilton 17 yard line and trailing by a single point. This time, instead of passing, Jennings ran an ultra-conservative quarterback draw, picking up just 3 yards and leading to Long's fifth field goal, which put the Lions ahead 23-21. I don't know who made the call but that would be the time to try to throw for a first down to extend the drive, take more time off the clock and force Hamilton to score a touchdown to win instead of a field goal. I don't know whether the coaches sent in that play because they were afraid of something bad happening on a pass play or whether Jennings called it himself, but it backfired in the end when Hamilton moved the ball 42 yards in a minute and a half to set up the winning field goal..
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 pm
....This time, instead of passing, Jennings ran an ultra-conservative quarterback draw, picking up just 3 yards and leading to Long's fifth field goal, which put the Lions ahead 23-21. I don't know who made the call but that would be the time to try to throw for a first down to extend the drive, take time off the clock and force Hamilton to score a touchdown to win instead of a field goal. I don't know whether the coaches sent in that play because they were afraid of something bad happening on a pass play or whether Jennings called it himself, but it backfired in the end when Hamilton moved the ball 42 yards in a minute and a half to set up the winning field goal..
Yup. I just shook my head when Jennings ran the QB draw. Playing not to lose. That's been our modus operandi. I had the sinking feeling when Long split the uprights that we were doomed.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A couple of posts ago Blitz listed all of the Lions recent playoff blowout losses that the Lions have endured in recent years. I don't think we will witness that this season due to a likely last place finish that is looming.
prj
Starter

I think Blitz has nailed the issue, once again. What seems new is that the players' spirit has been affected; they don't quite look like a team that has quit, but they're close. The contrast between the Lions' sideline and the Cats' sideline was pretty dramatic. Significant changes are called for, and while Wally deserves thanks for his work here, it's been too long since they got the Grey Cup to call it a success.

I have been aware of June Jones for what now seems like a long time. I had the impression that his variation on the spread offence was particularly well-suited to the CFL field. It's taken a while for him to get here, but I suspect he will stay a while. That means he's probably not a candidate for the Lions job.

But who is? In-house, I don't see anybody who is available now. Future candidates, yes: Travis, Geroy, and maybe some others, but they are few years out. I wonder how others view Paul Lapolice? He's had one head coach gig and it didn't work out. But he the Bombers playing some pretty effective offence and that strikes me as what the Lions need: someone who can make this collection of talent play more effectively.

Any other candidates seen by others?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

One shudders to think of what the frustration level might be here if not for the 2011 miracle cup.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
ZLions
Rookie

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:47 pm
One shudders to think of what the frustration level might be here if not for the 2011 miracle cup.
Understand what you're getting at, but I personally wouldn't call the 2011 Cup a "miracle". I mean, coming back from 0-5 was amazing, but with the enormous talent the Lions had in every single position that year, a Cup was long overdue.
Rammer
Team Captain

ZLions wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:07 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:47 pm
Understand what you're getting at, but I personally wouldn't call the 2011 Cup a "miracle". I mean, coming back from 0-5 was amazing, but with the enormous talent the Lions had in every single position that year, a Cup was long overdue.
That has always been my point with Wally teams, they have to have far superior talent in order to win. That is an indication of teams preparedness that Wally teams have. As long as they "execute" all will fall in order. If not, Lions lose to inferior talent. This has been the case as long as I remember, luckily 94 Western Final was one of those.
Entertainment value = an all time low