Leos vs Tabbies

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

I don't know that it's Saskatchewan we're necessarily chasing at this point. They have a game in hand on us, a fairly easy schedule coming up, and the season series (because rather than having killer instinct we let them get 15 points in a game we led 30-0). I think it's Winnipeg we have a chance at. The only team in the West we really control our destiny against (match them the rest of the season, while winning the 2 head-to-head games). Easier said than done, but our poor performance mid-season is what put us in this position. Losing the season series to Edmonton and Saskatchewan really hurts.
Roar you Lions roar!
VictoriaFan
Starter

last week I upgraded my snorkel that I'd had since the 80s. Always did the trick, simple worked for me but it was just a tube with a hard mouth piece . Wow who would have thought the new technology in something like a snorkel? The Lions offensive scheme is like my old snorkel, simple and hard to chew on with no advancement for years
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:32 am
Drew Edwards of the Hamilton Spectator points out that the Riders have a game in hand for fourth in the West and a cross-over playoff spot, as our Leos go into this game against Hamilton.

Edwards also mentions the poor attendance here in B.C. Its embarrassing.

The notion that Wally returning to the sidelines would result in an attendance boost has not materialized. Attendance is down again this season. Our Leos, even though we have many exciting players, looks like a very tired franchise.
It again will be a gathering of family and friends tonight. Not a great opponent but more importantly is the Lions delivering some dud performances this season on offennce. Why buy ticket to watch this product, especially when it's free at home? Of course the 8 pm start won't get too many young families out either.

The amount of available seats also reflects on their season ticket numbers and that was coming off a highly entertaining season. Just a complete embarrassment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 am
Blitz wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:32 am
Drew Edwards of the Hamilton Spectator points out that the Riders have a game in hand for fourth in the West and a cross-over playoff spot, as our Leos go into this game against Hamilton.

Edwards also mentions the poor attendance here in B.C. Its embarrassing.

The notion that Wally returning to the sidelines would result in an attendance boost has not materialized. Attendance is down again this season. Our Leos, even though we have many exciting players, looks like a very tired franchise.
It again will be a gathering of family and friends tonight. Not a great opponent but more importantly is the Lions delivering some dud performances this season on offennce. Why buy ticket to watch this product, especially when it's free at home? Of course the 8 pm start won't get too many young families out either.

The amount of available seats also reflects on their season ticket numbers and that was coming off a highly entertaining season. Just a complete embarrassment.
Anytime the Ticats are at a low point, you're not likely to draw flies as walkups as it's just not a team that this area seems to link to other than Mt Douglas HS local boy Terrell Davis suits up with the 'Cats.

The downfall has been in the "Wally knows best" mantra from the owner on down thru fans and media alike. It became a pass for everything as clearly given his track record as the HC with the most wins, surely he knows better than anyone.

The Benevides hire and the lack of a decent process to be able to benchmark MB's take on the role and the situation against the views of other contenders was mentioned yet never caught on as a concern. Teams often bring in other coaches seeking a HC and they learn from these sessions as it's a way of gathering insights into what a new HC should be doing for their team to succeed.

Similarly, the quick signing of Jeff Tedford on his pedigree alone slid by unchallenged because of the "deemed" quality of pick. What should have caught the pundit's eye was the lack of a decent process.

Just to show how Wally's poor view of the process in the selection area is his protege Mark Washington - some years back - turned down a chance to interview elsewhere. Wally should have kicked his rear out the door to interview as for candidates it's a growth and learning process. Maybe Wally didn't want the other team to learn the Washington philosophy (some risks to that) but they all know (and have film) on what others do.

The Lions teams under Wally seem to fail when others find their play calling predictable and when the Lions aren't getting into a rhythm of winning. This is a great team when things are going right - but not so great when visiting other teams who are on a roll.

Wally for all the good he's done as a GM and HC and his record and ability to understand the game and his love of the CFL has a less than stellar record with developing top assistants as he sure hasn't developed any like a Dave Dickensen or Mike O'Shea.

Wally has the most wins ever but I suspect he and his staff aren't regarded these days as the best in the CFL. You'd have to give that to Calgary at the moment. But let's face it - the margin between the top of the heap and something lower down is as close as what some say was a bad play call with the wrong people in the Grey Cup game last year when they ran the predictable goal line play with Buckley at QB and Mitchell and Messam watching from the sidelines.

It sure isn't all on Wally and his staff either as QB injury and lack of play quality at QB from their star QB has hurt. If Lulay hadn't been injured and took this team on a roll we might not be so pessimistic.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

Like the Montreal game, a win against the Ticats proves nothing, while a loss would be disastrous. No-win situation for BC.

From a marketing perspective, the Lions have been in a downward spiral for years, decades even, and it all seems inevitable. BC Place is a great stadium, but the wrong venue for today's CFL. I doubt we will see the upper bowl reopened consistently ever again. The team needs new owners who can help inject new life into the organization, but whoever takes this on is going to have a hard road ahead, probably even harder than in Toronto because we are still a ways away from hitting rock bottom.

Lions need a win badly, and even more we need Jennings to show some signs that he can get his career back on track. Ticats seem to like playing for their new coach. A win might not come easy.
Blitz
Team Captain

For this game, my first wish is that Chris Rainey breaks a punt return for a huge gain or a touchdown.

He deserves a big return. Its been tough going for Rainey this season through no fault of his own.

I miss seeing Rainey in space, cutting, making defenders miss badly. I miss his speed and watching him turn on the jets.

Here is hoping.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:19 pm
For this game, my first wish is that Chris Rainey breaks a punt return for a huge gain or a touchdown.

He deserves a big return. Its been tough going for Rainey this season through no fault of his own.

I miss seeing Rainey in space, cutting, making defenders miss badly. I miss his speed and watching him turn on the jets.

Here is hoping.
Not the same Rainey we saw last year. Too hesitant, tends to run sideline to sideline instead of just hitting it up the middle.