Leos vs Tabbies

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Its a battle of the two toughest animals in the jungle - a Lion vs a Tiger Cat. Or is it?

Right now, its a battle between the worst team in the West (our Leos) and the worst team in the East (Hamilton)

I don't think there was hardly a CFL prognosticator or football fan that would have anticipated, with 6 games left in the 2017 schedule, our Leos would find themselves in last place in the West.

Some thought that Calgary might slip a bit, after such a successful 2016 season and a heart breaking Grey Cup loss. But they haven't. Few anticipated that the Eskimos would come out of the gate so strongly.

Many fans thought the Bombers, who relied so much on turnovers last season would have a difficult time duplicating their success. But led by Matt Nichols and Andrew Harris on offence, the Bombers are second in the CFL in scoring.

And then there were the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Chris Jones was laughed at. The Riders signed journeyman Kevin Glenn, who was viewed as too small, too old, and too mediocre and their was no one considered good enough to take over the quarterback reins and lead them to success.

But right now the Riders have scored more offensive points than our B.C. Lions this season. They have the most passing touchdowns in the CFL. They've given up less sacks than our Leos. Jones defense is also ranked 2nd in the CFL, only behind Calgary's defense. The joke Is not Jones but our B.C. Lions. Jones, in only his second season, after blowing up the Riders, is getting the job done better right now than we are here in Wally World.

All seven CFL analysts have our Leos beating Hamilton on Friday night. The return of Alex Bazzie is being viewed as a key addition to change our Leos defense. Last season we tied for the CFL lead in quarterback sacks. This season we rank 8th in that category in the CFL. The only players missing from last season's defensive line were Westerman and Bazzie and now Bazzie is back.

If our Leos lose this game our playoff chances fade. The reality is that our Leos are a more talented team than Hamilton. But when you are giving up the most sacks in the CFL, have turned the football over the most of any CFL team, and you are near the bottom of the barrel in getting pressures and sacks on opposing quarterbacks, its more than difficult to be an elite team, no matter how good you are at the skilled positions.

The real puzzler has been why we've been so bad on the offensive line this season. We only lost one starter from 2016 and that was Olifioye, who we traded. Calgary lost Derrick Dennis, the Most Outstanding Lineman last season and haven't missed a beat. They started 11 different offensive lineman due to injury last season and this season they lost their starting center and still, Bo Levi can stand in the pocket and do needle point before throwing a pass.

Well, perhaps it should not be a puzzler. With Dorazio coaching the offensive line and Khari Jones attempting to coordinate the old Calgary spread offensive playbook that Buono views as his offensive bible, no matter how old it is, we shouldn't expect too much, even if we have Jeremiah Johnson, Chris Rainey, Manny Arseneauz, Bryan Burnham, and Chris Williams in the skill positions.

At the start of the season, many experts wondered how this combination of players could be held down by opposing CFL defenses. Now they wonder how they can score.

Last week, against Calgary, we gave up four sacks in the first half of play. Jennings was also hit 17 times and we had 22 rushed plays according to CFL stats. You can't deliver offensively as a quarterback under that kind of pressure. Those stats also don't include well covered receivers and jumped routes.

The good news is that Hamilton has given up the most points in the CFL and they only have 5 interceptions on the season. Offensively, Hamilton has scored the least points in the CFL. Hamilton has the type of offence that can make a Mark Washington defensive scheme look better than it really is.

Alex Green will start at tailback for Hamilton, due to Gable's injury, and Green has been out of football for almost 2 years.

So here is our chance to get back in the hunt. Anything can happen in the playoffs. But you have to make the playoffs first. There are 6 playoff spots for 8 cfl teams. Right now we are not one of them but with 6 games left in the schedule, we still have a good shot.

So in words close to those of our 'fearless' leader:

There's no chance we're playing cute
We just gotta play hard and execute
If we don't want to give the ball a boot
On offence we gotta really execute

If we want our fans to 'hoot'
We gotta 'make plays' and execute
Hey, I'm not just some old football coot
I'm a legend, so just execute

Don't look for low hanging fruit
The name of the game is to execute
Receivers - you just run your routes
Its then up to our quarterback to execute

The playoff race is becoming more acute
So block and tackle and execute
Our coaching strategies are not in dispute
Its simple guys, just execute

Its all about desire and pursuit
Do II need to say again, 'just execute'
Do I have to find a new recruit?
Not if you play hard and execute

I am savvy and very astute
Heck, all you need to do is execute
But I will quickly substitute
If you are unable to execute

Right now this team is in disrepute
All because you won't execute
But I remain resolute
All football is about is the ability to 'execute'

Our scheme guys? The point is moot
Just go out there and execute
How often do I need to inpute
Its execute, execute, execute!!!

Lets hope we can 'execute' a win against the Tabbies.

Go Leos go! :popcorn:
HAM @ BC
While they’re 2-9, the Ticats are very much alive in the East Division playoff race. However, there’s a very slim margin for error. Three wins in four games would give Hamilton fans reason for optimism.

The Lions are hoping for more consistency from Jonathon Jennings, who threw three interceptions in a loss to the Stampeders. On defence, Alex Bazzie’s return could boost an already-potent defence. In short, the second game of Friday’s double-header features two last-place teams that need to start winning or their post-season hopes will fade. cfl.ca
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

So the plan for Friday is to "execute". Am I reading the self professed legend correctly ?
leo4life
All Star

Even Manny was saying they just "gotta execute on offense" 🤔
CardiacKid
Legend

Interior lineman for the Tabbies, Nikita Whitlock, might prove to be bit of a handful. I will be watching how the reshuffled, rejigged, everything new is old again, OLine deals with him.
Last edited by CardiacKid on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CardiacKid
Legend

leo4life wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:23 pm
I thought he was saying they "gotta execute the offence".

As in put it up against a wall, make it wear a blindfold and offer it a last cigarette....
leo4life
All Star

Lions should take the W but another L wouldnt shock me either...Jekell & Hyde ball club...
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Last game against Calgary we knew BC had to feed JJ24 the ball and move the pocket/have JJ10 roll out. BC decided to do neither. The same flawed, predictable play calling will likely lead to another loss.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My keys:

- establish the running game and stick with it

- avoid turnovers

- get Chris Williams involved in the offence

- throw some high percentage passes early in the game so Jennings can regain his confidence

- move the launch point. Don't keep Jennings in the pocket so the defence can tee off on him.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Execute.

Execute the offence.

Easier said than done. IMO Lulay performed miracles on his return this year.

But it is possible, methinks. Jennings has done it at times, but that was mostly before he became a focus of detailed planning for the opposition. Can he do it now? Here's hoping.

"Take him out and shoot him," ordered General Dreedle. (Catch 22)

Shoot the lights out?

Shoot the offence itself?

Some detailed planning might help. If the D puts 8 men back and still gets pressure on the QB with 4 men, we might shoot ourselves in the foot. Or 9 men back and 3 man pressure. Or MTM and bring the house. Many are the ways for the defence to attack the passing game.

We will see. Game time soon enough.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:37 pm
leo4life wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:23 pm
I thought he was saying they "gotta execute the offence".

As in put it up against a wall, make it wear a blindfold and offer it a last cigarette....
Leo players say it all the time...and have for years and years.....its kinda like Scientology. :)

I wish they would change up the "we just gotta execute' comment at least once in a while....perhaps say "Praise be" or 'Lets give 'em hell' but its been a mantra during the Buono era to say 'we gotta execute...because Wally always says it.....while throwing 'guys' when talking to the media as well as 'you know, you know' and the other mantra "Our players gotta make plays'.

Say something repeatedly enough and it becomes a form of brainwashing.

We should beat Hamilton.

Sad we are back to two import offensive lineman and three International receivers.

David wrote that he liked Steward at left tackle, Vaillencourt at left guard, Husband at center, Fabian at right guard and Palmer at right tackle.

I prefer the same offensive line except I would rather have Faucault at right tackle...just don't see that much of a difference between him and Facault at that position.

What the heck hapSpened to our offensive line this year? Last season we had Olifioye at left tackle, Steward at left guard, where he has mostly played recently, Husband back at center, Fabian back at right guard, and Palmer at right tackle, where he beat out Antonio Johnson.

So, really, this offensive line is only missing Olifioye from last season at left tackle. Yet our offensive line is so much worse this season. Hard to figure. I knew that we would really miss Olifioye but this drop off of offensive line play is even much worse that I imagined.

We've now given up 31 sacks after 12 games Last year, for the entire season, we gave up 35 sacks.

To put those stats in perspective, in 2016 Calgary dressed 11 different offensive lineman due to injury and gave up 20 sacks. This season Calgary has only allowed 14 quarterback sacks so far....less than half of the number we've given up. No wonder they are in first place in the West and we are in last.

But hey, we have Dorazio so I'll continue to count my blessings. His offensive line gave up 65 sacks in 2005 and we still finished 1st in the West and we won a Grey Cup in 2006 giving up 56 sacks. So there you have it.....you can win even if your quarterback is getting hit, smashed, concussed, and sacked ....but only if you execute.

Getting a little more serious and 'present', June Jones has made some progress with Hamilton since he became Head Coach. Jones is an old 'run and shoot' coach who will at least add some wrinkles to the Hamilton offence that has been stuck in a throw first, spread offensive philosophy under Kent Austin.

Jones has three years of NFL experience as a HC as well as head coaching experience at the college level. He was coaching high school football in Hawaii before joining Hamilton this year.

It should be an interesting game to watch.

P.S. For you West Coast Joe.

We've all heard "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result".

Here is a supporting quote from Joseph Heller.

“Insanity is contagious.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

:)
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“Clevinger was guilty, of course, or he would not have been accused, and since the only way to prove it was to find him guilty, it was their patriotic duty to do so.” -- Catch 22

I looked for a quote, BlItz. That is the best I could come up with from that very funny book.

We will see who is guilty tomorrow. Wally? June Jones? Jennings? Masoli?

And we will see who gets a feather in his cap. Hope it is JJ10.

As always, it will be interesting.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Drew Edwards of the Hamilton Spectator points out that the Riders have a game in hand for fourth in the West and a cross-over playoff spot, as our Leos go into this game against Hamilton.

Edwards also mentions the poor attendance here in B.C. Its embarrassing.

The notion that Wally returning to the sidelines would result in an attendance boost has not materialized. Attendance is down again this season. Our Leos, even though we have many exciting players, looks like a very tired franchise.

Here is the article posted below. Hamilton's Masoli leads the CFL in quarterback rushing but our Leos quarterbacks combined (Jennings, Lulay) have rushed for the most yards in the CFL.

Perhaps we could call this the 'Running Quarterbacks Game' as both teams quarterbacks have had to run to escape the pass rush. Perhaps that is why this is a battle of last place teams in their divisions.
Two last place teams with lots on the line
by Drew Edwards Hamilton Spectator

VANCOUVER —The storyline for Hamilton: After losing at home last week to Saskatchewan — the Ticats fell short on the game's final play — Hamilton is in danger of falling even further out of playoff contention.

While the Ticats can still win the season series against every East Division opponent, they likely need to win a game or two against the West to have a shot at the post-season (they also have a trip to Winnipeg and home date against the Stamps coming up). The team travelled to Vancouver a day early to help acclimatize to the time change.

Key injuries and roster changes: Canadian receiver Shamawd Chambers will get the start at receiver after being acquired in a trade with Edmonton this weekend while Alex Green, signed Monday, starts at running back for the injured C.J. Gable.

Ryker Mathews, who missed last week due to injury, is back at right tackle. The 12 starters on defence are unchanged from last week, the first time that's happened this season.

Five funky Hamilton stats:

1. Quarterback Jeremiah Masoli will be making his fourth straight start and 13th of his career. He has a 6-6 record and is for 5-2 (.714) on the road.

2. Masoli leads all CFL quarterbacks with 208 rushing yards this season while B.C. leads the league with 332 rushing yards from QB duo of Jonathon Jennings and Travis Lulay.

3. Hamilton threw a season-high 48 passes last week in the loss to Saskatchewan, 26 of which were targeted at Luke Tasker or Jalen Saunders. Over the last two games, Masoli has targeted them 43 times for 25 completions.

4. Hamilton is dead last in the CFL second down conversions at 38.1 per cent while allowing opponents to convert at a 54 per cent clip (eighth in the league). The last two weeks, however, the Ticats defence has dropped that number to 40 per cent.

5. The Ticats are 2-9 in their last 11 road games and are the only East Division without a victory against a Western opponent this year (0-7). They are 2-15 vs. West Division teams since the start of last season.

The storyline for B.C.: Wally Buono's boys have been bad, very bad. Linebacker Micah Awe was fined the maximum allowable by the CFL after two headhunting hits in last week's loss to Calgary while return man Chris Rainey and defensive lineman David Menard were also docked by the league for transgressions against the Stamps.

Saskatchewan has a game in hand in the race for the West's final playoff spot or a crossover berth. Starting Friday, B.C. will play four of their last six games at home (whether anybody shows up is another question).

Key injuries and roster changes: The Lions' pass rush gets a big boost with the return of Alex Bazzie, who signed this week after failing to make an NFL squad. Bazzie played three years with B.C. registering 29 sacks in 50 games, including 11 in 2016 to earn a West Division all-star nod.
Blitz
Team Captain

We really need to win this game. The Riders have a game in hand on us and we are now in crunch time to make the playoffs.

We get to play two Eastern teams at home the rest of the way...playing Ottawa and Toronto. We have a good chance to win both games. We will also play the Bombers twice...once away and once at home. We also have a game against Edmonton at home.

This last leg of the schedule is very good to us, in terms of home dates. We only have to go on the road once, to Winnipeg, for our remaining games.

Our Leos could go on to be the cross-over team, play in the East against weak opponents, and be in the Grey Cup game and win it all.

Yet, who would believe, going into this season, that Chris Jones, who blew up the Riders last season, would be in better playoff contention that our B.C. Lions, who many favored would take another step this season and perhaps become the powerhouse in the West, rather than Calgary.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:11 pm
My keys:

- establish the running game and stick with it

- avoid turnovers

- get Chris Williams involved in the offence

- throw some high percentage passes early in the game so Jennings can regain his confidence

- move the launch point. Don't keep Jennings in the pocket so the defence can tee off on him.
The above was the approach that should have been taken against the Stamps but wasn't. Ball control that keeps the ball out of Bo Mitchell's hands is how you beat the Stamps.

The Lions didn't even attempt any of the above, (and this was after a bye week :bang: ) so I have no reason to believe that they will do any of what the Lion King suggests versus the TiCats this week.

Even though the Lions are no doubt favoured to win against the lowly Cats, I do not have a lot of confidence in the predictable play of the Lions.
don corleone
Starter

Blitz wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:32 am
Our Leos, even though we have many exciting players, looks like a very tired franchise.
From a guy on the outside it seems the disengagement of the upper management reflects in the performance on the field.

I get David Braley would like to pass the torch at the right price. Seems his idea is to not handcuff a new owner moving forward and leaving options open for management to bring in their own people.

Although I have not heard anything official rumor is this is Wally's last year. My opinion is that he would like to be done and not continue on in another capacity. Lots of people around the CFL will say he has earned that. The last thing Wally wants to do is to make this season about him, again in my opinion.

Top two guys waiting over by the bus stop.

Can't imagine this isn't a topic amonst the players at different times.

The other guy with a visible presence around the league is Geroy. Seems to me he is liking the new role and is hoping / planning to be a part of the plan going forward. I think it would be a good thing if his role for 2018 be it president or whatever be clarified and then to establish him as the point man for those related matters. Again just my opinion.

Chicken and egg story kind of.

Regardless. None of that matters on game day. I believe the Lions overcome the adversity, bond in the way teams can, execute, win, and build confidence moving into the last third of the season. Expecting strong games from the team leaders.

Maybe the start of a story.