No more full contact practice during season, extra bye week

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-to-announce-immed ... s-1.855515
Ambrosie didn't waste much time on dealing with the recent complaints about quick turn around between games (OTT most recently). Of course that means adding a week either at the beginning or end of the season.

No padded full contact practices during the season is unique. I wonder if other levels of football (college, NFL) will follow?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

They were already down to a max of 1 padded practice per week. It's not like they are close to simulating real game conditions. I think it just allowed coaches to run a more aggressive version of a non-padded practice. When it comes to equipment about the only difference between padded and non-padded is shoulder pads. II've never watched a regular season practice to see if it differs from training camp. From watching both types of sessions at training camp there is definitely a lot more contact in the trenches in padded sessions but not much away from the trenches. Very little actual tackling or hitting happens.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
ZLions
Rookie

Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't get it. Like how are linebackers and defensive backs supposed to practice their tackling skills, and how are receivers and running backs supposed to practice avoiding the tackle?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

ZLions wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:05 pm
Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't get it. Like how are linebackers and defensive backs supposed to practice their tackling skills, and how are receivers and running backs supposed to practice avoiding the tackle?
Tackling techniques are taught in the various drills that usually start every practice. For example they will use tackling dummies and drill into players to square up to the dummy and wrap it up. As I mentioned in training camp there is virtually no actual tackling in the padded sessions. The RB will try to hit a gap. If he gets through he runs a few more yards tossing a couple of jukes here and there against defenders who mostly try to reach in to strip the ball. If the gap closes before he gets through the play is usually quickly whistled dead before he gets wrestled to the ground. It's similar for receivers if they catch the ball.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

I wonder if we will see rugby-style tackling become prevalent in the CFL or perhaps even mandated?

http://www.businessinsider.com/seahawks ... nfl-2017-1
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:58 pm
I wonder if we will see rugby-style tackling become prevalent in the CFL or perhaps even mandated?

http://www.businessinsider.com/seahawks ... nfl-2017-1
I am pretty sure that Elimimian has adopted this style of tackling. You don't see him laying the huge hits anymore like he did when he first started in the CFL. He notches up the tackle numbers by being a cerebral technician. Lots of film study, makes relying on instincts easier to react and flow to the ball, then wrap up with a sure tackle technique when he gets there.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Good on Ambrosie for quickly setting the precedent.

The trend in BC at least and likely beyond is fewer and fewer kids are playing football. The numbers are trending down at the community level where some programs have switched to 9-man tackle just to be able to field teams. High school rosters are also generally smaller and some teams (Rick Hansen in Abbotsford and Earl Marriott in Surrey ) no longer have senior teams.

This is from a retiring coach at Hugh Boyd in Richmond who has been coaching high school football for the past 40 seasons.

[quote]Currently, player numbers are down at the high school and community levels in many regions across the province for a variety of reasons, with concussion awareness being among them.
“Word has to get out there that it is way way different now,” said Bruce Haddow. “We rarely have contact in practice. It’s just about skill development and fundamentals. We are not banging the crap out of these kids. You can’t with numbers like this.
“(This program) has got to keep going and that is my concern. Our numbers (25) actually look pretty good compared to a lot of other ‘AA’ size teams. Ten to 15 years ago, schools couldn’t wait to start a football program. Now, some have folded and others are in trouble. There have been lean years but you could always see it will improve. This is a different animal entirely (for B.C. football). What exactly is behind the current trend is the million dollar question.”
[quote]
CardiacKid
Legend

'It'll be a farce".

That's Dan Dorazio's opinion of the elimination of padded practices.
http://3downnation.com/2017/09/13/b-c-l ... e-changes/
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What is a farce is our quarterback getting sacked because the O line can't pass block.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Dorazio doesn't like the rule change. I hope he doesn't like it enough to want to retire.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

how do the linemen practice??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back