CFL Games of Week 13, September 15 - 17

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Winnipeg gets the week off.

SSK @ HAM ... I would have to say that suddenly Hamilton is a threat to win games. Even this one.

EDM @ TOR ... Can the Schmos lose again? This CFL fan would like that.

BC @ CGY ... Hmmmm ... Can we go into Calgary and win? It is somewhat possible. Unlikely though.

OTT @ MTL ... Harris out. Durant has been very inconsistent it seems to me. Tossup.

2017-09-10_0102.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

How do we rate the teams?

#1 ... Calgary. Hufnagel. Dickenson. Mitchell.

#2 ... Winnipeg. Good for O'Shea. Good for Andrew Harris. Good for Buck Pierce.

#3 #4 #5 ... Hmmmm. This grouping is tightening up. Edmonton has a ferocious front four on defence. They have Mike Reilly. We have a very dangerous, talented offence. Saskatchewan has been on the rise. Pick 'em.

#6 ... I would think Toronto with Trestman and Ray might be ahead in their prospects.

#7 #8 #9 ... Hmmmm. Ottawa damaged; Harris injured. Montreal seemingly healthy but lacking talent. Hamilton somewhat on the rise. This CFL fan is thinking that Kent Austin seriously damaged the morale on that team, and possibly Zach Collaros in particular. June Jones has brought some hope to the team.

2017-09-10_0101.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

don corleone
Starter

Pretty fair assessment West Coast Joe.

Looks like the Riders are getting serious signing Otha Foster and Jeff Knox Jr. Can you say awesome linebacking corp? Still need to mesh to make it go. Love the story that is June Jones but the Cats are over achieving at the moment. Hamilton will play hard and their chances go up if they are facing Bridge at QB but Sask is the better team and should win. Two good wind teams so it could be close if it starts blowing again.

Could see where a Lions fan would be okay with a Toronto win Saturday. Maybe with a better run game Toronto keeps it close. Esks don't lose 5 in a row even without a kicker.

Is it pouring cats and dogs on the coast or is that a ray of sunshine off in the distance? Lions could use a break. From reading this forum I understand the concern is with the line of scrimmage. Calgary is a little beat up there as well. I'll try and be the new guy on the forum that people like and go with the Lions to win by 7. Bo Levi be dammed.

Need Montreal to beat Ottawa to keep the east tight. Great national talent on both sides must be related to the strong CIS programs in the area. Thick Nik moves the sticks when it counts. Stefan Logan says he is not only a returner and has no expiry date. Drew Willy saves the day some other time as DD gets it done. Montreal by 4

Enjoy the games
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:13 pm
Pretty fair assessment West Coast Joe.

Looks like the Riders are getting serious signing Otha Foster and Jeff Knox Jr. Can you say awesome linebacking corp? Still need to mesh to make it go. Love the story that is June Jones but the Cats are over achieving at the moment. Hamilton will play hard and their chances go up if they are facing Bridge at QB but Sask is the better team and should win. Two good wind teams so it could be close if it starts blowing again.

Could see where a Lions fan would be okay with a Toronto win Saturday. Maybe with a better run game Toronto keeps it close. Esks don't lose 5 in a row even without a kicker.

Is it pouring cats and dogs on the coast or is that a ray of sunshine off in the distance? Lions could use a break. From reading this forum I understand the concern is with the line of scrimmage. Calgary is a little beat up there as well. I'll try and be the new guy on the forum that people like and go with the Lions to win by 7. Bo Levi be dammed.

Need Montreal to beat Ottawa to keep the east tight. Great national talent on both sides must be related to the strong CIS programs in the area. Thick Nik moves the sticks when it counts. Stefan Logan says he is not only a returner and has no expiry date. Drew Willy saves the day some other time as DD gets it done. Montreal by 4

Enjoy the games
Good stuff, don. A nice read.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/cfl/news ... guqck21u26

By Curtis Rush ...
SASKATCHEWAN (5-5) at HAMILTON (2-8), Friday, 7 p.m.

Quarterback Kevin Glenn has a bruised throwing hand, and Hamilton quarterback Jeremiah Masoli is as hot as a pistol. Throw out all the statistics. Momentum is on Hamilton's side and suddenly the defense has stepped up, allowing only 22 points in two straight games.

Previous meeting: Riders 37, Ticats 20 on July 8

Notable stat: Mobile quarterback Jeremiah Masoli is just getting warmed up. For my money, he's the best running quarterback in the league. He has rushed for 84 yards in the past two games, including a whopping 73 against Ottawa.

Pick: Hamilton 26, Saskatchewan 22
EDMONTON (7-4) at TORONTO (4-7), Saturday, 4 p.m.

The return of spectacular wide receiver Derel Walker gives Edmonton perhaps the best receiving units in the league. Toronto ranks near the bottom in sacks allowed. Maybe new offensive line coach Jonathan Himebauch can stop the bleeding.

Previous meeting: This is their first meeting of the season.

Notable stat: Edmonton has the best air attack in the CFL while the Argos rank No. 1 in defending the pass.

Pick: Edmonton 27, Toronto 21
B.C. LIONS (6-5) at CALGARY (9-1-1), Saturday, 7 p.m.

This is the hardest game to call this week. At some point, the Stamps will lose at home. But not now. Both teams have strong running games. But I will take quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell over B.C.'s Jonathon Jennings any day. Jennings has had only one 300-yard passing game all season, while Mitchell has eclipsed that number on four occasions.

Previous meeting: Calgary 21, B.C. 17 on Aug. 18

Notable stat: Calgary's Jerome Messam managed only 48 yards rushing against Edmonton to end a streak of six straight games of at least 60 yards.

Pick: Calgary 27, B.C. 24
OTTAWA (4-7-1) at MONTREAL (3-8-0), Sunday, 1 p.m.

Without injured quarterback Trevor Harris, the Redblacks are suddenly vulnerable. Yet Drew Tate is a capable replacement who a few years ago challenged Bo Levi Mitchell for the starting role in Calgary. Although he lacks game experience, I like him over mistake-prone Darian Durant. Ottawa is 2-0 against Montreal this season.

Previous meetings: Ottawa 24, Montreal 19 on July 19; Ottawa 32, Montreal 4 on Aug. 31

Notable stat: Darian Durant has thrown 14 touchdowns, but he has also thrown a league-high 11 interceptions.

Pick: Ottawa 24, Montreal 17

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Will there be a locker room rant?

2017-09-14_0722.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SSK @ HAM

Whoever plays at quarterback for the Riders will have a drastic effect on the pick trend for Friday night’s game. Kevin Glenn is having an outstanding season but it’s looking more and more like Brandon Bridge will make his first start as a Rider, leaving some uncertainty in an otherwise red-hot Rider offence.

The Ticats’ modest two-game winning streak comes with some legitimate substance. Led by C.J. Gable and Jeremiah Masoli, the Black and Gold rushed for a season-high 147 yards vs. the REDBLACKS — their highest total since Labour Day in 2016. The early pick trend just doesn’t describe how close this game could end up.

PICK
Writers: 86% Saskatchewan
Fans: 78% Saskatchewan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDM @ TOR

The well-rested Argos get two critical pieces back on their defence, with Victor Butler and Cleyon Laing expected to suit up for the first time in nearly two months. Those two were a menace to opposing quarterbacks early in the season, meaning the Eskimos’ O-line will have to be at its best to protect Mike Reilly.

Speaking of Reilly, the Esks’ franchise pivot broke out of his mid-season mini-slump in Week 12, breaking the 450-yard mark vs. the Stamps. That bodes well for a team looking to break out of a four-game losing streak, as Reilly turns to the three-headed monster of Derel Walker, Adarius Bowman and Brandon Zylstra against the Argos’ vaunted defence.

PICK:
Writers: 100% Edmonton
Fans: 86% Edmonton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BC @ CGY

The Lions will have plenty of emotions following a season-ending injury to Travis Lulay. Meanwhile, defeating the Stamps at McMahon would vanquish the most horrid of demons haunting the BC Lions right now.

Of course, it’s never that easy, especially against the Stampeders on the road. Bo Levi Mitchell makes his 100th career start on Saturday night as the Red and White seek their eighth win in a row against Jonathon Jennings and the Leos.

PICK
Writers: 100% Calgary
Fans: 90% Calgary

OTT @ MTL

There are plenty of exciting storylines when these divisional foes meet on Sunday in Montreal, starting with the Alouettes’ first game without Jacques Chapdelaine and Noel Thorpe on their sideline. Fans in la belle province will be curious to see whether the coaching change can spark the Als, who, despite losing four straight and six of their last seven, could shrink the gap behind first-place Ottawa to just a single point with a game in hand.

For the REDBLACKS, all eyes will be on backup quarterback Drew Tate, making his first start for Ottawa following the shoulder injury that will sideline Trevor Harris for roughly 2-6 weeks.

PICK
Writers: 57% Ottawa
Fans: 70% Ottawa

2017-09-14_1615.png

don corleone
Starter

I think Jones is putting on the dog with Bridge and expect to see Glenn start the game.

Nice story starting Bridge but hard to pull him for Glenn if they get behind. Easier to give Bridge mop up time once the game is in hand. If they are behind they are a better team with KG. Sask is playing for their playoff lives and can't give any points away.

Just my take that the injury was not as bad as first feared. If KG does not dress totally different scenario.

Will soon see.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This could be another underdog week. The last time I picked all underdogs was also the last time B.C. played Calgary. The Lions were the only underdog to lose that week, blowing a glorious opportunity to beat the Stamps on an off day. I'll pick the dogs again, especially with uncertain quarterback situations in Saskatchewan and Ottawa and a coaching change in Montreal. And the Stampeders are just due to lose. Bo Levi Mitchell has looked human, throwing just 3 TDs and 5 INTs in his past four games.

HAM over SAS
TOR over EDM
B.C. over CAL
MTL over OTT
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Brandon Bridges playing in place of the injured Kevin Glenn. Bridges has lead the Riders to a 27-16 lead over Hamilton mid way through the 4th quarter.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders win 27-19. Hamilton had an opportunity to tie the game and force overtime but with the ball on the 1 yard line they elected to pass and it felled incomplete. Very questionable call.
ZLions
Rookie

Didn't like how Chrs Jones called a time out right before the last play of the game with the ball at the Saskatchewan 1 yard line. He for sure knew they didn't have any timeouts left, just wanted to give his defence a rest. Smart maybe, but not honourable at all.
CardiacKid
Legend

I'm betting the Esks will lose and Maas will blow a gasket on the sidelines. After this week, the losses will continue to mount and Maas will lose the locker-room as he can't manage his intensity, becomes indiscriminate with rants and blowing his top. The players start shutting him out as it all becomes just a bunch of noise.

My conjecture kinda seems familiar.....almost Kent Austin-like.

As for the Riders, glad Bridge acquitted himself well but overall, it wasn't a terribly convincing team performance.

With the talk about Bridge being the first Canuck QB to win since Greg Vavra, it reminds me of how I wish to this day Chris Flynn got a better shot at the CFL. Still one of the most exciting players I ever watched, amateur or pro, Canadian or American.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:21 pm
Riders win 27-19. Hamilton had an opportunity to tie the game and force overtime but with the ball on the 1 yard line they elected to pass and it felled incomplete. Very questionable call.
Was that play on the one yard line sent in by June Jones or June Cleaver?

My god, they're first down on the 1-yard line with 5 seconds left and Masoli does a deep drop, scrambles, and throws into the end-zone? :bang: At worst, they should have tried a quick slant, but a QB sneak or hand-off to the very capable Gable would have drawn them to within 2 points (with the convert to come).

Very strange call.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:05 am
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:21 pm
Was that play on the one yard line sent in by June Jones or June Cleaver?

My god, they're first down on the 1-yard line with 5 seconds left and Masoli does a deep drop, scrambles, and throws into the end-zone? :bang: At worst, they should have tried a quick slant, but a QB sneak or hand-off to the very capable Gable would have drawn them to within 2 points (with the convert to come).

Very strange call.

DH :cool:
This is what happens to a team that does not like to run the ball and relies to heavily on the pass.