QB, now what?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

don corleone
Starter

maxlion wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 pm

If Jennings were to be injured for any significant length of time, our season would be over
How I see it as well

It's not like the Lions have any kind of cushion as far as letting games slip away. Jennings goes down and all that is left is to try and sell tickets to the last few home games

I can see the Lulay injury bringing the team together as well. Adversity can do that. Would expect renewed focus on protecting JJ10 and better play from Jennings knowing the team needs him where before there was doubt.

Mitch Gale as a #3 is a good fit and has the arm to work with the Lion receivers.

Could be all wrong on this. Guess we'll see
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I guess the weird thing about Lulay's injury is his chances of re-signing here are suddenly very good. Had he stayed healthy and led the Lions to a strong finish he would have been a very attractive free agent.

Damage isn't as bad as first feared and at 33, I don't see him retiring yet. His recovery time should be similar to Chris Williams who tore his ACL in the first week of October last season although a QB isn't running all the time at top end speed (although maybe with our oline!)

Could be green-lighted by early to mid July.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:38 am
I guess the weird thing about Lulay's injury is his chances of re-signing here are suddenly very good. Had he stayed healthy and led the Lions to a strong finish he would have been a very attractive free agent.

Damage isn't as bad as first feared and at 33, I don't see him retiring yet. His recovery time should be similar to Chris Williams who tore his ACL in the first week of October last season although a QB isn't running all the time at top end speed (although maybe with our oline!)

The TSN article I read this morning said "The team confirmed Lulay's significant injury, which is believed to be at least a torn ACL with possible damage to the MCL and cartilage as well.". I don't know what the original "fears" were but personally that was worse than I thought. With shoulder injuries seeming in the background this is now the second knee injury for Lulay. It was almost exactly 2 years ago to the day that Lulay suffered an MCL sprain, ironically against the same Montreal Alouettes. That one was on the other knee. That makes it 2 shoulder injuries and 2 knee injuries in 4-1/2 seasons. I think it will cause him to do a lot of soul-searching as he spends yet another offseason rehabbing from injury. Does he want to go through yet another offseason focused on rehabbing just to put himself in position to the risks of yet another injury? Until last Friday I'd have bet the farm he'd be playing again next year albeit likely in another CFL city. Today I have to say I think the odds of him retiring into a QB coaching role with BC are well above 50/50.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

dpoe wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:08 pm
What's Henry Burris up to these days?
He's working for the Ottawa CTV and doing the GM Playbook for TSN.

He was in the booth during the OTT-HAM game in the second half and he sounds pretty good (voice and content). Maybe he'd be a good one doing colour BUT I think his current gig is FT

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=793340

I'm now convinced he's retired but he could still play but he'd not be anyone's backup now. So I suspect he'd not ever come out of retirement EXCEPT in OTT. Wouldn't that be something ?

But OTT has Drew Tate who is there now and I doubt OTT would ever go back to Burris now as it has to end for him sometime.

The one thing in Gale's favour just might be his stint in Calgary. We've seen how they got Glenn playing fine and maybe he's learned something there.

Rakeem Cato - not sure he's not done as he turned out to be a nut case in practice and games.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

I think Raheem Cato has the most upside and raw talent of all of the unemployed CFL QBs with any degree of experience, but I do think he comes with some baggage. However, I do believe he could have done some good things with all of the weapons we have on this team.

As for Travis, as cruel as this sounds, I am thankful it was a) not a concussion and b) not a shoulder injury. Not trying to minimize an ACL tear, but I would be very surprised if he hangs it up and not rehab for next season (which he's going to have to do anyway whether he plays again or not).

Wally says he wants (needs?) Travis on the sidelines. Just wondering the logistics of getting a guy on a plane to Calgary who has just shredded his knee. I know it's only an hour in the air, but it's a tight commercial flight.....and I can't imagine it's too good for the swelling either. Maybe they load him onto the cargo truck with all the equipment and get him there that way. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:28 am
I think Raheem Cato has the most upside and raw talent of all of the unemployed CFL QBs with any degree of experience, but I do think he comes with some baggage. However, I do believe he could have done some good things with all of the weapons we have on this team.

As for Travis, as cruel as this sounds, I am thankful it was a) not a concussion and b) not a shoulder injury. Not trying to minimize an ACL tear, but I would be very surprised if he hangs it up and not rehab for next season (which he's going to have to do anyway whether he plays again or not).

Wally says he wants (needs?) Travis on the sidelines. Just wondering the logistics of getting a guy on a plane to Calgary who has just shredded his knee. I know it's only an hour in the air, but it's a tight commercial flight.....and I can't imagine it's too good for the swelling either. Maybe they load him onto the cargo truck with all the equipment and get him there that way. :wink:

I don't think the Lions have flown commercial for a couple of years David. RF actually had a thread start yesterday on the whole road team travel thing. with a link to the Globe's article from last week on the subject.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sports ... icle+Links

Regardless it might be a bit too early for Travis to tag along for this week's game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

We flew on an Air North charter to Ottawa along with the team, media, physios, coaches, etc. for Operation Orange. It was nice not having to deal with the various wrinkles of commercial flights such as restrictions on tubes of liquids, etc. Simply show up at their location at YVR's south terminal, get your ticket and away you go. It was still a little cramped for everyone.

I was wondering out loud prior to the return leg how a player who suffered a very serious injury at an away game would be dealt with; namely would they be expected to hop on the flight or stay in hospital.
David
Team Captain

Funny, I did read that article that other day, but regardless, I thought the Leos only charter on Operation Orange trips and other longer hops. I assumed on a trip to Calgary that they'd be on a commercial airline.

Regardless of whether it's Air North or Westjet though, it's not going to be travelling in the lap of luxury. The larger point is that Travis is going to find it challenging to travel by air, but I think the club really wants him there (and I am sure he'd love to be there too).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:43 am
dpoe wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:08 pm
What's Henry Burris up to these days?
Rakeem Cato - not sure he's not done as he turned out to be a nut case in practice and games.
I think with Cato there were extenuating circumstances by the name of Popp, Carter and Stafford. Popp had no business being on the sidelines and he obviously has no ability to manage personalities. Carter and his cousin are obvious toxic turd blossoms. We can see how Boris Bede was treated like garbage by Carter and his crap-tabulous cronies last year and became a basket case. He is now back on track, by and large, without that BS affecting the team.

Carter had a slow start to the year and I think would have been a massive distraction if he (and Glenn) hadn't got hot over the last few games. You could see he was getting sullen and was *beeotch* on the sidelines when he was the Rider's 4th best receiver. A couple of times Jones had to tell him to shut his trap.
Spud387
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:38 am

The TSN article I read this morning said "The team confirmed Lulay's significant injury, which is believed to be at least a torn ACL with possible damage to the MCL and cartilage as well.". I don't know what the original "fears" were but personally that was worse than I thought. With shoulder injuries seeming in the background this is now the second knee injury for Lulay. It was almost exactly 2 years ago to the day that Lulay suffered an MCL sprain, ironically against the same Montreal Alouettes. That one was on the other knee. That makes it 2 shoulder injuries and 2 knee injuries in 4-1/2 seasons. I think it will cause him to do a lot of soul-searching as he spends yet another offseason rehabbing from injury. Does he want to go through yet another offseason focused on rehabbing just to put himself in position to the risks of yet another injury? Until last Friday I'd have bet the farm he'd be playing again next year albeit likely in another CFL city. Today I have to say I think the odds of him retiring into a QB coaching role with BC are well above 50/50.
In this video Farhan explains that it isn't as bad as originally feared.
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/knee-injury ... bo~1207060
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Quinn Epperly is the second quarterback competing for the 3rd string quarterback

https://www.bclions.com/players/quinn-epperly/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quinn Epperly

Cool video

Of course, this does not necessarily translate to playing in the game.

Such a deep pool of talent in US colleges. Any of these guys that get a tryout in the CFL have some great stuff on their resumes.

In the video we see the good arm. He has good size. The blurb says he is a "threat with his legs as well."

Both guys signed. Epperly to the 46. Gale to the PR.

2017-09-12_2044.png
2017-09-12_2045.png
2017-09-12_2046.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Very nice, detailed breakdown of Epperly's skills and athleticism.

Game video.

Workout video.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender
Legend

Not a fan of Mitchell Gale, but the signing of Quinn Epperly might prove interesting. Has good size, but lacks real speed and explosiveness--4.85 40, mediocre vertical and broad jumps at the combine (or at a pro day). Fell short of both Lulay's and Jennings' performance in these measurables. Still, a Princeton man (like Jason Garrett), so may have something between the ears. Will be interesting to see how he fits in.