QB, now what?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

Odie wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:15 pm
Farhan Lalji is reporting the Lions are expected to bring in Mitchell Gale - most lately of the Calgary Stampeders, but played for Sask last year.

Lalji is also reporting another QB and and OL will also be added to camp.
Gale is an interesting choice. Before being released by CGY in preseason (because of 1 bad outing vs EDM) he had steady backup work with TOR, HAM, and SSK. I'm sure there is a long thread reviling him on RiderFans, but he made the most of what he was given to work with there when Durant went down in July last season. When he was signed by CGY in February, Dickenson said:
“I like Mitchell’s competitiveness and he has the arm to make all the throws. I think he’s a good fit for our system and I’m excited about the opportunity to work with him.”
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Trade a draft pick to Regina for Vernon Adams.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Given the way things are shaping up, I'm not certain that they shouldn't be trying to develop Alex Ross as quick as possible as well as a newbie QB versus a recycled CFL QB.

The best QB to hit the FA market post season is likely to be Franklin of the Esks but he'll likely only sign where they say he's their starter or at least it's a nudge-nudge wink-wink sort of understanding that he'll be no. 1. There's no way I can him signing back with the Esks as that 's Reilly team and he's not sharing that spot. He was furious when the injury spotter took him out the other night and wanting right back in versus cooler that a capable back up was in.

I see what WCJ is saying re: Collaros as damaged goods and overpaid unless he's shooting the lights out. I can't see the Ticats letting him go now unless the team took the entire contract OR they'd pay part of it just this year BUT what would be the price for a guy who is so damaged now he might be out of football?????

I'm a huge Collaros fan but Austin not getting him out of the game has done a lot of harm to this guy. It was like Austin was told to play him or else and so he did unlike in earlier years in HAM where he'd play 3 QBs in a game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
BC 1988
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:42 pm
Given the way things are shaping up, I'm not certain that they shouldn't be trying to develop Alex Ross as quick as possible as well as a newbie QB versus a recycled CFL QB.

The best QB to hit the FA market post season is likely to be Franklin of the Esks but he'll likely only sign where they say he's their starter or at least it's a nudge-nudge wink-wink sort of understanding that he'll be no. 1. There's no way I can him signing back with the Esks as that 's Reilly team and he's not sharing that spot. He was furious when the injury spotter took him out the other night and wanting right back in versus cooler that a capable back up was in.

I see what WCJ is saying re: Collaros as damaged goods and overpaid unless he's shooting the lights out. I can't see the Ticats letting him go now unless the team took the entire contract OR they'd pay part of it just this year BUT what would be the price for a guy who is so damaged now he might be out of football?????

I'm a huge Collaros fan but Austin not getting him out of the game has done a lot of harm to this guy. It was like Austin was told to play him or else and so he did unlike in earlier years in HAM where he'd play 3 QBs in a game.
That's just it. Collaros looked absolutely terrible in all his starts this season--much worse than he ever has. If the Lions go with the Gale option, it shows they are choosing the safer (less potentially disruptive) and lowest cost for experience they can get. Lowest cost for a backup QB may also keep them in the running for Bazzie in terms of the cap (now that TL goes on IR.) I'm glad the timing of Harris' injury took Drew Tate out of the discussion--that guy is poison--look at his accusing body language at the end of the game on Saturday.

About the Reilly tirade (to go with the Maas tirades), I don't even want to think about how much concussion damage he will face in retirement as a result of claiming the "toughest guy" award.
Last edited by BC 1988 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Mitchell Gale has good size.
Gale made his first career CFL start on July 22, throwing for 354 yards and one touchdown in a come-from-behind victory at home over the Ottawa Redblacks, which was the Roughriders' first win of the 2016 campaign.
Lots of teams have given him looks.

A quick search did not turn up any YouTube video to check for his mobility. Maybe later.

2017-09-11_1818.png

2017-09-11_1818_001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:09 pm

That's just it. Collaros looked absolutely terrible in all his starts this season--much worse than he ever has. If the Lions go with the Gale option, it shows they are choosing the safer (less potentially disruptive) and lowest cost for experience they can get. Lowest cost for a backup QB may also keep them in the running for Bazzie in terms of the cap (now that TL goes on IR.) I'm glad the timing of Harris' injury took Drew Tate out of the discussion--that guy is poison--look at his accusing body language at the end of the game on Saturday.

About the Reilly tirade (to go with the Maas tirades), I don't even want to think about how much concussion damage he will face in retirement as a result of claiming the "toughest guy" award.
Collaros came flying out of the gates from his injury last year then hit a wall that he hasn't recovered from. Coming off that late season knee injury in 2015 he missed 2016 training camp and the first half dozen games of the season. When he did finally suit up, ironically against BC, he lit it up with 1510 yards passing, 14 TDs and only 2 INTs in the first 4 starts. Then everything seemed to go sideways starting with the LDC rematch against Toronto. Over the final 6 regular season games he threw for 1428 yards with only 4 TDs and 6 INTs. He also had 236 yards with 0 TDs and a pick in the ESF loss. This year he seemed to pick up right where he left off last year basically being ineffective. I don't know what it was but it all seemed to fall apart after Labour Day last year.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
dpoe
Starter

What's Henry Burris up to these days?
The_Pauser
Legend

Gale is awful. I would probably feel better off sticking with Alex Ross.

Was kinda hoping for Rakeem Cato actually. He at least showed some talent.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not particularly impressed with Gale from what I've seen.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2293/ottawa-re ... ughriders/

We hear talk of him possibly coming to the Lions. So here he is last year, on tape.

Highlight film from the Riders beating the RedBlacks last year.

He has a good arm. Watching the film: "What a throw, a laser" exclaims Rod Black. Yes, that one was a nice throw.

Not mobile in the pocket. Sacked four times.

Nice TD pass.

Leads a drive with 1:42 left to get the win.

What the heck. A QB with CFL experience. Good arm. If we sign him, this fan will be OK with it.

He looks like a pocket passer, not the mobile, CFL prototype we often see.

Not advocating for Gale. Looking forward to seeing Wally's selections. He has had an amazing run in his career of bringing in outstanding QBs.

2017-09-11_2017.png
2017-09-11_2024.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
maxlion
Legend

We shouldn't expect much from any QB that is unable to stick as even a third stringer on the worst teams in the CFL. Not much upside out there.

If Jennings were to be injured for any significant length of time, our season would be over, which puts us in the same boat as most other teams in the league. We just lost our safety net. Perhaps it will work out for the best in the end.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

So does Gale have enough seasons/games to be eligible for a veteran's guaranteed salary?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

We're not looking for a Grey Cup winning QB, we're looking for someone who at least has played meaningful reps as insurance. Yes, Jennings came out of nowhere and clicked right away, it could happen with Ross too, but how often can lightning strike again? Gale, Price, J Harris, Cato, DeMarco, Crompton would at least have some game experience behind them.

Or then they could always bring back Joey Elliott, Zac Champion, Chris Hart, Gino Guidugli (someone I always wished they'd given him more opportunity), Ben Sankey...
JohnHenry
Champion

maxlion wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 pm
We shouldn't expect much from any QB that is unable to stick as even a third stringer on the worst teams in the CFL. Not much upside out there.

If Jennings were to be injured for any significant length of time, our season would be over, which puts us in the same boat as most other teams in the league. We just lost our safety net. Perhaps it will work out for the best in the end.
Jennings was cut by the Riders too but he never made it to 3rd stringer. So by that measuring stick M. Gale could have potential. I liked Gale's performance with Sask and so must have the Stamps who signed him after he was released by genius Jones.
CardiacKid
Legend

Just get someone who doesn't spike the ball to kill the clock on 3rd down....

In other words, get someone who knows a smidgen about the CFL game. After seeing Long go for a stroll during what had to be the longest shortest punt return in the history of football, that kind of knowledge is valuable thing.