Lions 41 - Alouettes 18, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:26 pm
maxlion wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:22 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Some criticize. Some defend. Yes, it is predictable, max.

We had a nice running game, and a nice passing attack. The players played hard. The coaches worked hard all week, as usual.
Opinions based on evidence are never predictable.
Opinions based on bias always are.

I appreciate David's observations about radio and newspapers (which I never listen to or read). Nobody likes listening to a broken record, no matter the song.
You take offence to criticism of Wally and the staff.

You criticize other bloggers.

Some on here criticize and praise coaches and players.

I will continue to criticize and praise coaches and players as I see fit.

You can have the last word.
Wrong Joe. I have never taken offense to anything said on this site.

And I would never criticize anyone for stating an opinion, regardless of whether or not I agree.

When you try to dominate a conversation by repeatedly making biased statements and thinly veiled insults with no reference to evidence, you offer yourself up to scrutiny.

Thanks for the "last word". Good night.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Could someone here explain the purpose of the Super I Formation play?

Usually a trick play targets an opposing player or a tendency, gets everyone running in one direction while the play goes in another, or just confuse the opponent. The Super I does none of this. The only thing I can come up with is they are either trying to get a change in personnel or formation and not giving the D time to react. But this seems way too lame. :dizzy:
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Usually a trick play targets an opposing player or a tendency, gets everyone running in one direction while the play goes in another, or just confuse the opponent. The Super I does none of this. The only thing I can come up with is they are either trying to get a change in personnel or formation and not giving the D time to react. But this seems way too lame. :dizzy:
Interesting you should ask. Because at the Operation Orange chalk talk, someone asked Wally that very same question. They referred to it as a "trick play", Wally countered that it isn't or at least he doesn't consider as such.

To the best of my memory, Wally referred to it as an attempt to get the D to set up incorrectly or get the wrong personnel.

Further to the notion of trick or gadget plays, Wally was asked about their use. He was quite succinct in his response; bad teams rely on them.

You got to say this about Wally, he is pretty clear about what he likes and doesn't like.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:42 pm
DanoT wrote:

Interesting you should ask. Because at the Operation Orange chalk talk, someone asked Wally that very same question. They referred to it as a "trick play", Wally countered that it isn't or at least he doesn't consider as such.

To the best of my memory, Wally referred to it as an attempt to get the D to set up incorrectly or get the wrong personnel.

Further to the notion of trick or gadget plays, Wally was asked about their use. He was quite succinct in his response; bad teams rely on them.

You got to say this about Wally, he is pretty clear about what he likes and doesn't like.
So if Wally thinks bad teams rely on trick plays and his team has started to use them, I guess he is admitting that he has a bad team. In reality Wally has passed his coaching best before date and his coaching staff got there a while ago.

Bad teams use bad trick plays. The Super I is beyond bad as it tricks no one.
VictoriaFan
Starter

and speaking of trick/zany plays, the craziest was when Long kicked it and it landed on the goal line and everyone stood around talking about the weather for seemed like minutes. That was just weird
South Pender
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:05 pm
I would assume Jake Heaps is still an option, but in this much more dire circumstance (compared to last month) he might not be what BC is looking for. I wonder who else is available from NFL cuts?
I don't know that Jake Heaps would be the right guy to bring in. He's a decent (but not great) passer, but is slow and lacks the mobility we normally look for in a CFL quarterback.

However, there are dozens of American QBs still out there who tried out for backup, or 3rd-string, positions during the NFL preseason and failed to get signed. I wonder how widely McEvoy and Rigmaiden scout in the U.S. I think the Lions are one injury to Jennings--who is not 100% and may not be for a while--away from crisis time, and I'd like to see some QB candidates brought in sooner rather than later.
The_Pauser
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Wrong Joe. I have never taken offense to anything said on this site.

And I would never criticize anyone for stating an opinion, regardless of whether or not I agree.

When you try to dominate a conversation by repeatedly making biased statements and thinly veiled insults with no reference to evidence, you offer yourself up to scrutiny.

Thanks for the "last word". Good night.
As someone who has had to put up with those thinly veiled insults, I absolutely agree with you.

Regarding the game last night...the coaches had a great game plan, and the players executed it well. Or maybe Buono had that big rah rah rah speech and that got the players up to play? Dunno...

Just IMO.
Roar you Lions roar!
CardiacKid
Legend

South Pender wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:45 am
BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:05 pm
I would assume Jake Heaps is still an option, but in this much more dire circumstance (compared to last month) he might not be what BC is looking for. I wonder who else is available from NFL cuts?
I don't know that Jake Heaps would be the right guy to bring in. He's a decent (but not great) passer, but is slow and lacks the mobility we normally look for in a CFL quarterback.

However, there are dozens of American QBs still out there who tried out for backup, or 3rd-string, positions during the NFL preseason and failed to get signed. I wonder how widely McEvoy and Rigmaiden scout in the U.S. I think the Lions are one injury to Jennings--who is not 100% and may not be for a while--away from crisis time, and I'd like to see some QB candidates brought in sooner rather than later.
Rakeem Cato was a fairly high profile cut prior to the season and hasn't landed anywhere as far as I know. No denying there some issues related to his tenure in Montreal but that whole scene under Jim Popp was a hot mess, a cluster pooch of biblical proportions. He would have the advantage of being familiar with the league as opposed to a recent NFL cut.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:

Seems to me the Super I is not intended to be a trick or misdirection play. I think the idea might be to simply give the defence next to no time to see and read the formation and make pre-snap adjustments.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

I didn't mind the Super I. It was unique and perhaps can throw the defense off a bit rather than the conventional lining up. Obviously don't do it all the time, but once every game or two like that is a nice wrinkle.
Roar you Lions roar!
Rammer
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:42 pm
DanoT wrote:

Trick plays aren't really trick plays, they are exposing D, O or ST tendencies that are weak. When you see a flaw to exploit you attack it at the right time of the game or save it for next game if need be.

It just shows how rigid that Wally is in his 'old school' ways. The game evolves, Wally doesn't. As I've said before, thankfully Wally gets great talent that are able to play his chess games while other teams are playing chess against our systems.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nice pass protection on the TD pass to Manny. Steward gets good leverage.
2017-09-11_0121.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

2 point convert. MTM on Manny and Burnie. Not much chance for the defenders.

2017-09-11_0124.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally challenges and wins. Interference on Cox, grabbing Burnham.

2017-09-11_0128.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

But this is not so good. 3rd and goal. We got stuffed.

Hebert shoots the gap. Big gap.

2017-09-11_0131.png