2017 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The official attendance was 18,029. It felt like 19,000 to 20,000 from my vantage point. The atmosphere in the stadium was great and the orange hard hats were popular. The halftime musical act was also well received. The in-stadium atmosphere is much improved this year.

With a shrunken season ticket base, you need to win to draw casual fans. Coming into this game on a three-game losing streak that featured some uninspired and downright ugly football turned people away.
BC 1988
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:09 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:12 pm
J5V wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:41 pm
Based on Ticketmaster, there will be a very small crowd tonight. Soon the Lions will be drawing less than Toronto and Montreal at home.
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.07.10 PM.png

Oh boy! As of 4 pm today.
This is what can happen when your ST base dips below 10,000 and you have a less than desirable eastern team coming in while riding a 3 game losing streak. Hard to believe there is more than 15,000 sold. Will be interesting to hear the "announced" attendance.
I think they have given up on announcing the crowd numbers for awhile now....
There must be a mercy rule that can be invoked for attendance like this....
18,029 but it didn't look anything like that many on TV with all the huge swathes of open spaces.

CK--congrats on getting the swag. It's not the sort of thing I'd be interested in as it's not portable enough for me. The last time I wore a hard hat was in 1979 as a day laborer loading a pulp boat in PEI (in a totally other life). I regularly wear the 3 Lions caps I've picked up over the years.

This puts you in hard-core territory--wear it with pride :beauty:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:13 am
Braley, sell the team or invest in marketing the team.
Absolutely, guess the Lions have never heard the saying "you need money to make money"
BC 1988
Legend

Matt Baker wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:13 am
Regina/Calgary/Hamilton/Winnipeg all provide the authentic CFL environment, but a game in Ottawa just feels like "the place to be." People ripped the REDBLACKS name when it was announced. But guess what? A lot of young men AND women are decked out in the flannel shirts every game. The brand there has indeed taken off.
Linking the name to the flannel shirts (which brings it's own hipster cred) was genius.
OTT native Matt Sekeres often makes the point that OTT is "not a good sports town" (witness the Sens--even when they are winning--struggles way out in Kanata), but he admits that the REDBLACKS have really surprised.
The last year of the Renegades (in partially crumbling Frank Clair) their attendance ranged from 16,504-20,833. Even with the RB's 2-16 first year, and sub-500 3rd year, they have been at capacity +24,000 all the way through. I liked how they acknowledge the Rider history, and managed to evoke the North vs South Side rivalry of the past--but according to this excellent article, the demographics are very different from back in the day.
http://www.siriusxm.ca/cfl-stadiums-run-grey-cup/
It's a great read because it focuses on the Lions road trip last season to OTT-TOR (before anyone could have predicted OTT as GC Champs).
CardiacKid
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:50 am
CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:09 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 4.07.10 PM.png

Oh boy! As of 4 pm today.
This is what can happen when your ST base dips below 10,000 and you have a less than desirable eastern team coming in while riding a 3 game losing streak. Hard to believe there is more than 15,000 sold. Will be interesting to hear the "announced" attendance.
I think they have given up on announcing the crowd numbers for awhile now....
There must be a mercy rule that can be invoked for attendance like this....
18,029 but it didn't look anything like that many on TV with all the huge swathes of open spaces.

CK--congrats on getting the swag. It's not the sort of thing I'd be interested in as it's not portable enough for me. The last time I wore a hard hat was in 1979 as a day laborer loading a pulp boat in PEI (in a totally other life). I regularly wear the 3 Lions caps I've picked up over the years.

This puts you in hard-core territory--wear it with pride :beauty:
I totally will! But man it was hot on my head.
We managed to grab a couple of extra helmets; my wife teaches back in Victoria and we often bring back swag for her students.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:12 am
CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:27 am

What is particularly cool about this promotion is the fact it is very much applicable to all BC. I think most promotions are but this one really doesn't come across as mostly Vancouver/Lower Mainland centric. I think it shows a degree of out of the box thinking by the Lions which I have wishing for on this forum. So yes, props to the Leos.

Too bad they couldn't hand out more as it actually would look cool with a swath of shiny orange in the stands. I actually picked up a hard hat ages ago with the idea of jazzing it up with logos, etc but haven't gotten around to it. This saves me the trouble.

BTW I had to stop and think about the name of the promotion....maybe for some folks "construction trades" sounds a little human resources-y?
Could be human resources-y in a way. What ITA has been trying to do with the promotions at Lions games is open up the eyes of younger fans who might not yet have a career path in mind to the idea that trades are a very viable option. Speaking from experience of having worked in industrial operations such as sawmills, OSB plants, mining and logging there are definitely shortages of tradespeople. Just about every such operation around is always looking for millwrights, electricians, heavy-duty mechanics, welders etc.
Hey Hambone, I was thinking some more about last nights promotion and how it is a reflection of the goood work by ITA. Maybe a simple video for the replay screen talking about the same things you have mentioned would flesh out heir message?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Maybe attendance isn't Lions-only thing. Seems to be several thousand Whitecaps fans disguised as empty seats tonight. Even with their capacity capped at just over 20K I don't think there's much more than 13K there tonight$
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

whitecaps forum says not even 10k. More proof that we can't have weeknight games at BC place any more with all the issues getting to the stadium on weeknights (this includes fridays).

As far as i am concerned 4pm on satuday has to be 7-8 of the dates next year. You can bring the kids, 20-30 somethings can go and enjoy downtown post game, ok traffic for valley folks and enjoy dinner after, etc ...
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 am
whitecaps forum says not even 10k. More proof that we can't have weeknight games at BC place any more with all the issues getting to the stadium on weeknights (this includes fridays).

As far as i am concerned 4pm on satuday has to be 7-8 of the dates next year. You can bring the kids, 20-30 somethings can go and enjoy downtown post game, ok traffic for valley folks and enjoy dinner after, etc ...
Next Friday's Hamilton game is an 8 pm kickoff. Seriously what are they thinking? I have to go back to the days at Empire in early 80s to recall the last 8 pm start time.

I get it that's a TSN doubleheader but no way should a central time zone game (Winnipeg) and Pacific time zone be squeezed in together. How fun to be a Ti-Cats fan and tuning in at 11 pm to see my team play.
CardiacKid
Legend

Qman wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 am

it is particularly advantageous for fans from the Island, particularly if they have kids. Which should make it all the more appealing to the Lions because:

-both parents (if 2 are in the picture) go in order to mind the kids;
-other children will attend because the parents do not wish to be seen as liking one child more than the other. So in other words, being equitable so everyone goes;
-they are more likely to buy swag as it not only commerates going to a game but also a family adventure.

We see a fair number of Island fans going over for the weekend afternoon kickoffs. And there are fairly active junior level football programs in and around Victoria such the Westshore Rebels, MT Doug Rams, Spectrum Thunder and Greater Victoria Minor Football.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:18 pm
Next Friday's Hamilton game is an 8 pm kickoff. Seriously what are they thinking? I have to go back to the days at Empire in early 80s to recall the last 8 pm start time.
I loved the old 8 p.m. starts at Empire, and I'm looking forward to next week. The late start is particularly helpful to working fans from the Valley, who can't reasonably get home in rush hour, turn around and get downtown in still-heavy traffic by 7 p.m. I'd prefer to play all games on Saturdays but we know Friday Night Football is a big TSN commitment, and the B.C. viewing market is important to TSN. If we have to have Friday night games, I'd prefer they start at 7:30 or 8.
David
Team Captain

While I appreciate the Lions' front office working all angles to fill seats for the remaining two home games, this promo illustrates how out of touch they are with the market place.

Maybe they're concerned that dropping the price of end zone seats too much could upset their other partner in 7-11 (the only plausible explanation), but $38 (plus taxes and fees) for first responders is too much. Oh, but wait. They receive a bonus pair of BC Lions sunglasses with that, just in time for the rainy season. :roll:

https://www.bclions.com/vpd/

(there's another promo that night for Boy Scouts that is $30 per ticket. Still too much. Couldn't these same kids have gotten into a game for $5 earlier in the season when we were winning??).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:48 am
While I appreciate the Lions' front office working all angles to fill seats for the remaining two home games, this promo illustrates how out of touch they are with the market place.

Maybe they're concerned that dropping the price of end zone seats too much could upset their other partner in 7-11 (the only plausible explanation), but $38 (plus taxes and fees) for first responders is too much. Oh, but wait. They receive a bonus pair of BC Lions sunglasses with that, just in time for the rainy season. :roll:

https://www.bclions.com/vpd/

(there's another promo that night for Boy Scouts that is $30 per ticket. Still too much. Couldn't these same kids have gotten into a game for $5 earlier in the season when we were winning??).

DH :cool:
$30 endzone seat is standard group promo they run all season with all youth-related organizations. I beleive each association keeps $5 per ticket Almost every program my son has been in the last 3 months has sent out that promotion.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nothing like wearing sunglasses inside a closed stadium when it's raining outside.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I see they have unleashed their 2018 season ticket campaign. Big incentive is get a bonus ticket for an extra game if you purchase by Nov. 3. Have a feeling it's not going to create a mad rush.

Of course the same old pricing structure including keeping those sections between the 20-30 yard lines as high-end coaches sideline seats even though hundreds of them sit empty every game.

Oh well new owners could come in and blow this entire plan up. Let's hope so.

https://www.bclions.com/2018seasonmemberships/