Lions 41 - Alouettes 18, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This CFL fan has always liked David Menard. :thup:

Huge motor. Strong as an ox. Mobile.

The return of Jonathon Jennings. Someone was wondering why I still rated him so highly. He is young. He was thrown to the wolves by our planners. Go long. Don't worry about pass protection. Don't worry about teams adjusting their zones. Throw it to Manny and Burnie regardless. We don't need quick passes. D'oh ...

Ya gotta adapt and adjust or you die.

Ummm ... Did we see an adjustment on FG blocks? Holy Cow. Yes. Put the slippery, lightning quick Rainey on the end. D'oh ... Where the he** has that thinking been all year?

Give the ball to JJ24. D'oh ... D'oh ... 19x for 89 yards.

More stats and comments coming. But perhaps a bit later ...

Tragedy for Travis. But he turned us around. And he liberated Jennings. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Game not quite finished. Stats not complete but you get the idea.

2017-09-08_2151.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Regarding Wally's philosophy, an overly conservative approach that this fan does not fully support in this day and age ...

It can still work. But IMO it will not give the efficiency that modern planning can give. And it can be stopped or slowed down severely by detailed planning.

To his credit though ... With our outstanding receivers, quarterbacks, and running backs, when they are humming, it can be virtually impossible to stop.

And ... We made some adjustments this week.

Others will see it differently. These are my opinions and quick impressions after the game.

That's it? No celebration. No planning the Grey Cup parade. Ummm ... No. We beat the Alouettes, a team bereft of talent and youth, playing on the west coast.

Praise for the character of our players and the hard work of our coaches. :thup:

We will take the win, in an enjoyable game to watch. Back later ...

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

You can hear in Wally's voice that he understands it's a good win but there are a lot of buts if you're gonna compete for even a playoff birth.

He gave the fans a lot of kudos but that crowd looked sparse on TV.

Jennings very good. Sad to see that run by Lulay as that really looks like bad.

One question. Why does the innovative run plays come out when the opponent is done.

But clearly that Als team looks bad and getting worse. Durant didn't become a bad QB overnight as Jock Climie says - but he looks like he's got not much there. Opens with throws to the feet and doesn't try to go to Nik Lewis until the second half. Lewis walking off that interview says it all. He clearly has much to offer and he's not happy with the effort and I suspect the play calling.

I'm wondering if Jacque Chapdelaine can survive this debacle as he seems distant from his coaching staff (not just this game) and there are tons of undisciplined penalties and he doesn't have a QB.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

The manner in which JJ10 was thrown into the game essentially without warning really could have been a double-edged sword.

I think he was free of thinking too much and being his own worst enemy. But would his teammates rally round? I would say quite definitely they did.

Yes Montreal is in the doldrums but the Leo playmakers did what they had to. Manny was stabbing balls and taking on tackles with gusto, JJ24 ran inside and outside effectively, BB was typical BB, etc.

Winning is fun; hope the guys relish it and keep remembering that feeling.
prj
Starter

One of the saddest sights I've seen from BC Place was the brief view of Travis sitting behind the bench in the second half. He looked like someone had done great harm to his kids. I don't look forward to hearing the details of his injury.

But I do look forward to saluting him as one of the great leaders this football team has ever had. He ranks with Joe Kapp! I'd like to shake his hand and say thanks for some wonderful football moments. I hope his future includes the BC Lions in whatever capacity possible.

Thanks Travis!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions put on a fantastic showing in a game they needed, and Jonathon Jennings did an excellent job of restoring his confidence and the confidence of his teammates. To be thrust into the game on the third play and convert a third-and-one gamble, then complete an opening drive touchdown showed that the old Jennings magic is back. He made quicker decisions, checked down, found open players in seams and seemed to take full command of the game from the first series.

It's apparent that his arm is still not 100%. He missed a couple of deep seam routes to Manny Arceneaux and Shaq Johnson that should have gone for touchdowns, but he went 22 of 29 for 295 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTS (one was overturned on a successful B.C. challenge), and he could have added to his yardage totals if necessary in the fourth quarter but the Lions ran the ball successfully and ate up the clock as they protected the lead.

The Lions will now go as far as Jennings can take them. If he gets hurt again, they won't go far.

On defence, the Alouettes picked on Anthony Gaitor all night at field corner. The Lions seem to have more trouble than any team protecting the wide side of the secondary. Loucheiz Purifoy, who was the main target of the passing attack in the Ottawa game, made a couple of good plays to break up deep passes, and Anthony Thompson made one big hit but those three players left far too many receivers open on deep routes. A better offence, such as Calgary's next week, will carve them up if they don't do something to shore up that side of the field.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Was impressed with the Lions' salute to the New York first responders on 911. The singing of the US national anthem was a nice touch.

Who made the decision to close the roof ? It was like a sauna especially the concourse. What's the point of spending millions on a roof that they don't open ??

Offensive and defensive line much better performance than the last 3 games. The insertion of Ken Boatright seemed like a positive move. He had a fumble recovery in his first game.
CardiacKid
Legend

What were folks' impressions of Boatright?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:28 am
What were folks' impressions of Boatright?
I liked what I saw but it's just one game. Only time will tell.
BC 1988
Legend

prj wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:10 pm
One of the saddest sights I've seen from BC Place was the brief view of Travis sitting behind the bench in the second half. He looked like someone had done great harm to his kids. I don't look forward to hearing the details of his injury.

But I do look forward to saluting him as one of the great leaders this football team has ever had. He ranks with Joe Kapp! I'd like to shake his hand and say thanks for some wonderful football moments. I hope his future includes the BC Lions in whatever capacity possible.

Thanks Travis!
Watching the pvr of the game right now--I know what shot you're referring to--2:10:48 of the broadcast with 3:55 left in the 3rd qtr. Camera is on the d on the bench and in the background, TL is all by himself with the crutches leaning at his side. Absolutely brutal to see this.
It took guts to agree to face the media afterwards:
http://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/ ... -alouettes
and this clip of Wally shows his continued acknowledgement of TL's value now and in the future to the team is as a coach.
https://www.bclions.com/2017/09/08/buon ... -is-cruel/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/09/09/buono-lul ... rts-cruel/
“Obviously it’s devastating for us, for him, (and) for our fans too,” said Buono, whose team rallied behind replacement Jonathon Jennings to earn a much-needed win and snap a three-game skid. “It is a very serious injury, (and) I guess once the doctors do the MRI and have an exact diagnosis…”
Tragedy. There has never been a player with better character, leadership or team first attitude anywhere than Travis Lulay.

He had regained his MOP form. After so many injuries and uncertainty.

At least he can know he made it all the way back. Albeit temporarily. :thup:
When asked about the mental impact of losing Lulay, a noted leader and the epitome of team-first player, Buono laid his thoughts bare.

“Here’s a guy that’s gone through so much, all of a sudden is back on top, and it’s taken away from him — again,” said the Leos head coach starkly. “Professional sports is cruel.”
Yup. With something like this we really see some of Wally's strengths. His heart is in the right place. He sets the tone. He has to make countless tough decisions, but it is all for the business of running a football team.
Buono also commended the play of Jennings, who completed his first 11 passes off the bench en route to a 295-yard, two-touchdown day.

“He was prepared, he was ready,” explained the 67 year-old. “That’s all you can ask of a young man — I can’t imagine the last month or so has been pleasant for him, (but) he didn’t let that phase him.”
JJ10 was ready. More relaxed. Pressure off somewhat. Lulay really helped in that process.
With Jennings the man of the hour entering BC’s visit to Calgary’s McMahon Stadium — a veritable fortress where few have beaten the full-strength Stamps in recent years — Buono is hopeful Lulay can contribute in a mentorship role.

“I just said ‘I hope you can come on the road next week,'” Buono reflected. “I want him to understand that we want him to be a part of our team — he is a coach, (and) if he can be (a) life coach for Jonathon, that’s going to help us win.”
Absolutely. A coach on the field.

God Bless, Travis. You are forever one of the all time Lions. A Grey Cup champion. A league MOP. A Grey Cup Most Valuable Player. One for the ages. :thup:

Ya never know. Guys can play until 40 these days. One more recovery. It is up to you. Your call. You will get support however you decide. :thup:

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

An amazing picture. The guy we know so well, as fans, and by all the others in his orbit.

He got to run and jump once again, with all the joy that we could see so clearly.

His arm looked better than ever.

His reads better than ever.

His mobility as good as ever.

His confidence perhaps deeper. He played with the understanding of a coach. I believe I heard he had the top rating of QBs in the league this year.

He made it all the way back. He has already cemented his legacy.

One more time? We will see. He could. For a QB, the legs are not as important as the arm and shoulder. And there are the intangibles: decision-making, leadership, understanding, courage, resoluteness, commitment, love of the game.

He inspires me.

2017-09-09_0429.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Two quarterbacks. Two friends.

2017-09-09_0430.png

squishy35
Legend

As much as Travis' injury is tragic and a big loss for the Lions; this may serve as a galvanizing moment for this team. Travis is a true leader. I get the sense that this team will now be playing more motivated than ever for one of their great leaders and friend in Travis in the coming games of the latter half of the regular season.