CFL Games of Week 12, Sep 8 - Sep 9

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Triple header on Saturday.

MTL @ BC ... If we do not win this one, some might feel like folding the tent and stealing out of town. Jacques Chapdelaine returns to challenge Wally Buono.

SSK @ WPG ... Hmmm. Could the Riders beat the Bombers in Winnipeg?

HAM @ OTT ... Austin's best before date expired a long time ago. Jones wins one. Can he win another in Ottawa?

CGY @ EDM ... Gotta figure the Stampeders win in Edmonton.

2017-09-04_2210.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

So how do the teams stack up?

Calgary. #1. It starts with Hufnagel. It goes on from there to Dickenson. And on to Mitchell. Etc.

Winnipeg. Looking a little shaky.

Edmonton. Looking a little shaky.

Saskatchewan. On the rise.

B.C. What do we have? Can Travis Lulay manufacture another miracle as he seemed to do in 2011? 4 above. 4 below. We are #5. Middlin.

Ottawa. #1 in the East. #6 overall.

Toronto. Losing to Hamilton? Go to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Montreal. It seems to me that Jacques does not have much talent on his roster.

Hamilton. Go to Ottawa. Try to win two in a row. Collect $200. Buy Marvin Gardens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think home teams win the first 3 games. Don't expect EE to win.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I hate the disparity in the league this season. Lions could beat Montreal 45-15 on Friday and I will shrug my shoulders and say let's see how they look next week in Calgary when it really matters.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Alouette offence has been sputtering of late. Hope it continues it's downward spiral for another week.
CardiacKid
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:28 am
I hate the disparity in the league this season. Lions could beat Montreal 45-15 on Friday and I will shrug my shoulders and say let's see how they look next week in Calgary when it really matters.
Randy Ambrosie is on the record as saying he is looking at the playoff structure but didn't go into specifics. My thoughts as soon as I heard that was the only real option is to make one division and dispense with East-West and then rely on the top 6 teams overall competing in the playoffs.

He has shown himself so far to be someone who deals with issues/problems relatively quickly. Of course this shouldn't be something he unilaterally does but I hope the league governors recognize he needs to respected and has been a positive presence for the league in his short tenure.

Yes, the disparity is there but I still think Edmonton was flattering to deceive at the start of the year and Ottawa is a far better team than their record would indicate. I think there will be small correction of the balance for a couple of teams but beyond that.....
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The "One Division", proponents who want to do away with East/West separate divisions always focus on the standings/playoffs etc. but fail to properly asses or asses at all the impact such a change in league structure could have on the gate.

One Division would eliminate extra divisional games where Hamilton and TO fans visit each other's stadiums. Same applies to Als/Redblacks extra divisional games as well as Stamps/Esks and Riders/Bombers and less oppourtunities for Rider fans to visit Stamp games. All of this extra fan attendance would be lost.

Bottom line is that the bottom line rules, so East/West remains intact. Bank on it.

As far as the Lions vs Als, until I see what looks like a Lions team that appears to have actually made specific preparations for a specific opponent I will have trouble being confident of a win against any opponent including the Als. I fear that the downward spiral will continue.

After the last game Lulay was asked what was said in the locker room between halves and his reply was (paraphrasing) Not much. Which means no specific half time adjustments.

I can't wait until the season ends, hopefully bringing in new ownership, management, and coaching staff.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Instead of moving toward one division, the league should increase divisional play. For example, West Division teams could play each other at least three times a year and play some East Division teams only once. That would encourage regional rivalries, cut down on travel costs and would help even out the win-loss records in each division because there would be fewer East-West games.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:59 am
Instead of moving toward one division, the league should increase divisional play. For example, West Division teams could play each other at least three times a year and play some East Division teams only once. That would encourage regional rivalries, cut down on travel costs and would help even out the win-loss records in each division because there would be fewer East-West games.
There's only so much losing to Calgary and Edmonton I can take. :wink:

Seriously though, I agree with your logic, but we risk "Rider fatigue" (as an example) from seeing them 5x a season including preseason. I like things spread out a bit the way it is now in such a small league.

One thing I would look at though is East/West ticket pricing at BC Place. The club could charge less $$ for seats when say, Hamilton comes to town, than when we play the Riders.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

Why can't the east just field competitive teams? I don't get it. Same talent pool, same salary cap, same recycled coaches.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:16 pm
Triple header on Saturday.

MTL @ BC ... If we do not win this one, some might feel like folding the tent and stealing out of town. Jacques Chapdelaine returns to challenge Wally Buono.

SSK @ WPG ... Hmmm. Could the Riders beat the Bombers in Winnipeg?

HAM @ OTT ... Austin's best before date expired a long time ago. Jones wins one. Can he win another in Ottawa?

CGY @ EDM ... Gotta figure the Stampeders win in Edmonton.

2017-09-04_2210.png
MTL @ BC --- BC
BC given the Als dislike of the west coast time changes and Durant clearly not lighting it up. It's beyond me that Drew Willy is still in the CFL as clearly he's not able to play at the speed of a CFL game.

SSK @ WPG ... "Hmmm. Could the Riders beat the Bombers in Winnipeg?"
I have the same "hmmm and question as WCJ.

Bombers to win in a tight, tight game.

Riders are clearly ascending but the Bombers too are no slouches and it could come down to home field advantage.

The Bombers will make adjustments for this game and it's going to be tough for Riders to keep winning as big as they have these last games. Kevin Glenn is playing his best football but he's also not picking himself up off the ground either so he's got time to pick a good REC. The more they cover Carter the more they aren't covering Roosevelt.

HAM @ OTT ... OTT to W.

The only way Hamilton has any chance is to clean up the penalties. I think June Jones (who admits his errors post game) simply can't fix their issues that quickly. The Ticats sucked for a long time as Kent Austin made no change at QB - unlike the ways he did this in times past - and looked like he simply wanted to destroy Collaros' career. The Ticats are better than the record as we saw yesterday.

Advantage to Ottawa though but this will be close.

____

Rather than focus on rejigging the divisions or one division alone, how about putting a team in Quebec City!!!

CGY @ EDM .. CGY on a roll with Esks better but not enough to W.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Media picks, Week 12. The media makes for heavy favourites. I think a couple of upsets are possible.

2017-09-07_1358.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MTL @ BC

While the Alouettes continue to lean on the wily veteran Darian Durant, Lions head coach Wally Buono hopes a former MOP can create a much-needed spark. Travis Lulay gets the nod over Jonathon Jennings as the Leos look to stay afloat in the highly-competitive West.

Considering the Alouettes and Lions have lost nine of their last 11 games combined, expect some desperation when the cross-division foes meet Friday night on the west coast.

PICK
Writers: 86% BC
Fans: 93% BC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSK @ WPG

The Banjo Bowl is always one of the most anticipated games on the CFL schedule. This year there’s an added twist as both the Riders and Bombers are coming into Saturday’s contest playing their best football — a combined 9-2 in their last 11 games.

Expect plenty of noise and fireworks at Investors Group Field in a clash of two of the league’s top three offences (WPG 33.2 points per game vs. SSK 32.1 points per game), which have combined for 145 points in two head-to-head matchups this season.

PICK:
Writers: 86% Winnipeg
Fans: 62% Winnipeg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAM @ OTT

When the CFL schedule came out back in the winter, it was assumed that this Week 12 clash between Ottawa and Hamilton would be for first in the East. Not the case, but the middle matchup in Saturday’s triple-header isn’t without importance.

A win for the REDBLACKS would extend their lead over the Argos for top spot in the division, while a victory for the visiting Tabbies would get them back in the playoff race with what would become only a five-point deficit and two games in hand on Ottawa.

PICK
Writers: 100% Ottawa
Fans: 91% Ottawa

CGY @ EDM

The Stampeders are a clear-cut favourite after their convincing win over the Eskimos on Labour Day. But history tells us sweeping the home-and-home won’t come easy for Dave Dickenson’s club.

The Green and Gold will have plenty of reinforcements as they return to Commonwealth for the rematch, including a familiar face in Derel Walker, who makes his 2017 debut for the Eskimos after spending time in the NFL.

PICK
Writers: 100% Calgary
Fans: 68% Calgary
https://www.cfl.ca/2017/09/07/cfl-ca-wr ... -12-picks/

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heck of a game in the Banjo Bowl. Bombers leading the Riders 45-28 in the 4th quarter
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Final score 48-28 Bombers win which is some good news for the Lions.