Adam Bighill released by the Lions, December 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I saw the thread title and thought, wow, that was fast. It's still preseason in the NFL. Then I realized it was an old thread. But as we were discussing in another thread this week, he's still a longshot to make the Saints roster.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:49 pm
I saw the thread title and thought, wow, that was fast. It's still preseason in the NFL. Then I realized it was an old thread. But as we were discussing in another thread this week, he's still a longshot to make the Saints roster.
Yeah I fell for it as well. Maybe it's a good idea for someone to edit the thread title so it's not misleading?

DONE: MODS
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bighill got a lot of playing time Thursday in the Saints' last preseason game while the first-teamers rested. He seemed to make the best of it, leading all defenders with 11 tackles in a 14-13 home loss to Baltimore, and he certainly got noticed.
With a majority of the Saints' starters not playing, numerous backups, such as linebacker Adam Bighill, received extra repetitions to catch the coaching staff's attention.

Bighill, a former star in the Canadian Football League, made the most of his opportunities by leading the Saints defense with 11 tackles (eight solo), adding a pass defensed.

"I did the best I could out there," Bighill said. "I floated, flying around and made plays. At the end of the day, I gave it all I had. I know I can play in this league and can help this team win. I just hope I have the opportunity to do so."
Sean Payton on looming roster cuts: 'A lot of tough decisions'

According to one projection, Bighill's preaseason performance could be enough to land him a spot on the 53-man roster.
Linebacker
A.J. Klein, Craig Robertson, Nate Stupar, Alex Anzalone, Manti Te’o, Michael Mauti, Adam Bighill
Klein, Robertson, Anzalone and Stupar sat out the Ravens game. This left plenty of chances for Bighill to swarm the field in pursuit of Ravens ball carriers. Bighill seemed like he was in on every play. The former Canadian Football Leaguer didn’t play a purrfect game, but he’s done enough to earn a roster spot.
And no, former first-round pick Stephone Anthony isn’t making the team.
Who makes the cut? New Orleans Saints 2017 final roster projections
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Did Bo Lokombo play in this game for the Ravens vs Saints and if so how did he do?
The_Pauser
Legend

Yeah there's no way Biggie is coming back. He's looked very good in pre-season...if the Saints still cut him then there was really nothing he could have done to make that team.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:43 am
Did Bo Lokombo play in this game for the Ravens vs Saints and if so how did he do?
I haven't heard anything about Lokombo this preseason, but he was credited with one tackle and two assists in the game. His only mention in the postgame news story I read wasn't positive.
Boseko Lokombo dropped an easy interception on second-and-12.
Preseason Week four Ravens-Saints Game Recap, final takeaways, highlights and more

The Ravens have been hit by injuries to their linebackers, so that opens the door to some rookies, and Lokombo's name has been mentioned ink the mix.

Baltimore Ravens NFL Trade and Roster Rumors: Albert McClellan Out for Season After Tearing ACL in Practice

ALBERT MCCLELLAN OUT FOR THE YEAR WITH TORN ACL
The_Pauser
Legend

Does Lokombo even matter? Based on how he was used here I highly doubt he would even want to return, let alone Wally wanting to have him back.

Alex Bazzie has also seemingly had a solid camp, with a few sacks and a bunch of tackles. Would be surprised if he doesn't stick, though we could certainly use him on our d-line. I was hoping we could upgrade on him in the offseason but we've significantly downgraded thus far.

Leone, with the exception of yesterday, has out-punted his competition. He should have that job won, though I'll admit I don't know much about who his competition is so if it's someone the Cardinals invested more in they may cut Leone. Don't think there's a spot for him to come back to anyway.

IF Biggie gets cut, and at this point I don't think that's going to happen, we absolutely make room to bring him in.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 am
Does Lokombo even matter? Based on how he was used here I highly doubt he would even want to return, let alone Wally wanting to have him back.

Alex Bazzie has also seemingly had a solid camp, with a few sacks and a bunch of tackles. Would be surprised if he doesn't stick, though we could certainly use him on our d-line. I was hoping we could upgrade on him in the offseason but we've significantly downgraded thus far.

Leone, with the exception of yesterday, has out-punted his competition. He should have that job won, though I'll admit I don't know much about who his competition is so if it's someone the Cardinals invested more in they may cut Leone. Don't think there's a spot for him to come back to anyway.

IF Biggie gets cut, and at this point I don't think that's going to happen, we absolutely make room to bring him in.
Does Wally want Bo back? Watching our special teams lately the answer should be an emphatic yes.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The bigger question is whether Bo wants to be back if his role is restricted to just special teams.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

One has to take stats from the final exhibition game with a certain grain of salt. Typically NFL teams rest most of their starters giving bubble players significant playing time. Through the first 3 exhibition games Bighill didn't come off the bench until well into the 2nd half. Last night judging by the fact he was making plays on the opening series he started . I'm not sure if either of the 2 ahead of him on the depth chart, Robertson and Anzalone, dressed. Certainly Biggie seized the opportunity and made the most of it but I don't know if it really changed the pecking order that has him at #3 WIL.

As for Lokombo his ability play special teams might be what gives him a chance. BC FAN reported his stats from last night which I had seen on NFL.com. ESPN's stats showed him with 4 tackles, 2 assists. I tried opening up the game play by play on NFL.com but am having no luck on the BlackBerry. NFL typically doesn't distinguish between defensive and ST tackles. I was curios to see if those tackles were all on D or split with ST.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:45 pm
One has to take stats from the final exhibition game with a certain grain of salt. Typically NFL teams rest most of their starters giving bubble players significant playing time. Through the first 3 exhibition games Bighill didn't come off the bench until well into the 2nd half. Last night judging by the fact he was making plays on the opening series he started . I'm not sure if either of the 2 ahead of him on the depth chart, Robertson and Anzalone, dressed. Certainly Biggie seized the opportunity and made the most of it but I don't know if it really changed the pecking order that has him at #3 WIL.

As for Lokombo his ability play special teams might be what gives him a chance. BC FAN reported his stats from last night which I had seen on NFL.com. ESPN's stats showed him with 4 tackles, 2 assists. I tried opening up the game play by play on NFL.com but am having no luck on the BlackBerry. NFL typically doesn't distinguish between defensive and ST tackles. I was curios to see if those tackles were all on D or split with ST.
It looks like Lokombo had three defensive tackles and one special teams tackles, if I'm reading nfl.com gamecenter correctly.

Saints-Ravens play by play
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Saints cut two linebackers Friday, including their special teams captain from last year Michael Mauti, and placed another on injured reserve. Bighill wasn't among them.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Interesting to hear Guilio on 3rd Down Radio this week say he believes the only two former players the Lions would try to re-sign if they were released from their NFL teams were Bighill and maybe Alex Bazzie.

He didn't think they would pursue Lokombo which is somewhat surprising given his birth certificate but perhaps not as he never was highly looked upon by Mark Washington and was actually bumped down the depth chart at the end of last season in favour of Jason Arakgi. Now neither are here.
Wonder how much the Lions are also missing their best special teams player and captain this season?