TiCats -- Jones as HC; Briles X; Manziel X; Austin sued by Cornell

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Bye week for the Ti-Cats, but news nonetheless: June Jones is their new head coach (Austin stays on as vice-president to football operations -- I think that's his title anyow).
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This is worthy of its own thread, Ernie.

(Moved from CFL Games of Week 10 thread.)
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/24/austin-ap ... ead-coach/
Austin hands over head coaching duties to June Jones

CFL.ca Staff

HAMILTON — Changes continue to take place in Hamilton and this one is the most significant yet.

The Tiger-Cats announced Thursday afternoon that Kent Austin has stepped down as head coach and appointed June Jones as his replacement. Austin will remain with the club as the team’s Vice President of Football Operations.

“June and I have established a great relationship, and I feel comfortable and very confident with him handling the on-field product moving forward,” Austin said in a statement. “This organization, its’ fans and partners deserve a championship caliber team and we fully expect to work together to return us to that level.”

June Jones entered earlier in the month to assist with the offence but will now take over the head coaching duties.

The change comes on the heels of an 0-8 start and during the team’s bye week as they prepare to take on the Toronto Argonauts in the traditional Labour Day contest.

Jones joined the Tiger-Cats earlier this month as Assistant Head Coach on August 2. He has served as a head coach for over 20 years in his career, including stints in the NCAA at Southern Methodist University (2008-14) and the University of Hawaii (1999-2007), and in the National Football League with the San Diego Chargers (Interim – 1998) and Atlanta Falcons (1994-96).

In over four-and-a-half seasons as sideline boss in Hamilton, Austin finished his head coaching tenure with a record of 36-44 and led the Tabbies to two Grey Cup appearances and a trio of Eastern Final appearances.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not a surprise.

Some of us have speculated on this for a while.

Austin seems to have a best-before date. He seems very knowledgeable and talented. But he also seems too intense. I expect he reaches a point where his players tune him out.

I also would not be surprised if Austin moves on from the TiCats in the not too distant future. Not necessarily though, because one does need an income. His wife and family might not want him to move on.

I have sympathy for all coaches. I enjoyed Austin winning a Grey Cup in Regina. I enjoyed him taking the TiCats to a couple of Grey Cup finals when he joined the franchise.

June Jones' resume is impressive. But it is no guarantee of success in this gig.

June_Jones_2017_1.jpg

David
Team Captain

Hard to follow the downward trajectory of this organization to the point that they're in free fall now. It seemed like just a short time ago that we went into Hamilton on that steamy afternoon and it was like, 21-0 Tiger-Cats before most of the customers had reached their seats!

Collaros hasn't been the same since his injury, they've been hit by the injury bug, and missing a pretty good receiver in Tolliver who was lost for the season on opening day. But still....

I am not sure a coaching change is going to be the magic panacea people expect. Collaros doesn't have much to throw to other than Tasker and their secondary seems a little suspect from what I've seen of them.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The only surprise to me is that Austin is staying on as vice-president and will still oversee football operations, including GM Eric Tillman and new coach June Jones. The Ticats don't need Austin and Tillman in senior roles, but Austin has more than two years left on his contract so they'd have to pay him in any case. Something will shake down next year.

On the field, the Ticats have the worst talent in the league. Their goal for now is just to build for next year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The presser and questions are in this link.

http://www.tsn.ca/jones-appointed-as-ne ... p-1.838227
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The writing was on the wall when June Jones was hired.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:57 pm
The writing was on the wall when June Jones was hired.
I think a lot of that writing was by Austin's hand. Hamilton showed that they weren' t going to stand pat prior to Jones coming on board. They had already shuffled Reinbold out in favour of Lolley. I think Austin was the guy who brought Jones in and it coincided with about the time he himself said he started to seriously think he might step aside. Young seems to be a hands-off owner and I don't see Mitchell as being one to force Jones on Austin. Had it been ownership that pulled the trigger today and pushed Austin aside I think it would've been Mitchell at the podium explaining that they decided to remove Austin's coaching duties. Instead it was Austin announcing he was turning coaching duties over to Jones. The telling sign to me was how content he seemed with the decision. He almost seemed relieved that he could concentrate full time on operations and personnel.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:26 pm
Young seems to be a hands-off owner and I don't see Mitchell as being one to force Jones on Austin. Had it been ownership that pulled the trigger today and pushed Austin aside I think it would've been Mitchell at the podium explaining that they decided to remove Austin's coaching duties. Instead it was Austin announcing he was turning coaching duties over to Jones. The telling sign to me was how content he seemed with the decision. He almost seemed relieved that he could concentrate full time on operations and personnel.
And where does that leave GM Eric Tillman? Austin signed a four-year contract in January 2016 to remain the team's head coach, general manager and vice-president of football operations through the 2019 season. He since gave one of his three positions to Tillman and another to June Jones, while leaving himself with the power to oversee and fire both. If the Ticats don't turn things around in 12 months, someone will lose their job and it won't necessarily be Tillman or Jones.
mountaincat
Rookie

a run & shoot coach in the cfl, could be interesting!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

No doubt there will be lots of heavy contemplation in the Ticat offseason Blitz. For now they have a more typical organizational structure with 3 people holding down the 3 key positions but I think for all intents they are temporary. They will have to totally reassess things after the season. Could well be all 3 are gone as easily as all 3 are retained.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

mountaincat wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 am
a run & shoot coach in the cfl, could be interesting!
Not sure if there's a whole lot of difference between run and shoot, read option and a CFL offence. It was interesting listening to Scott Mitchell on Primetime yesterday. He was asked about Jones and run and shoot. Everybody thinks it's all pass and no run. Mitchell said he talked to several folks south of the border about Jones and almost without exception evrybody talked about him being a great coach and how successful he was with the run and shoot..........as long as he had a good running back.
mountaincat
Rookie

it seems as though he could fit hand in glove as a cfl coach, and he does have some cfl exp on his resume as a player and coach in years past. it seems as though he's tweaked and evolved the run and shoot over the years. what i meant was more, it would be interesting to see someone do something as disruptive to canadian football as run and shoot was to american football. i would think that as much as some run and shoot concepts are not so out of the ordinary anymore, some of the differences in the cfl like the extra man and extra motion could be tantalizing.

some of his RBs have put up big yards, but i think it's usually more the case of the pass setting up the run for big gashes.
Once you get a taste of that type of offense, it’s hard to go back to the pro-style offense. Playing football to me is throwing it on fourth-and-1, throwing it on third-and-1. That’s playing football to me." - broncos wide receiver emmanuel sanders in 2014, played for jones at SMU
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_shoot_offense

http://www.footballxos.com/free-footbal ... and-shoot/

http://www.xsosfootball.com/run-n-shoot-offense-101/

I coached against the Run and Shoot offence in the early 1980s. Mouse Davis was one of the developers of it. 11 man football of course.

I recall that it got your attention. It required adjustments by the D in practice before the game. If it caught you by surprise you would have trouble. The notes are long gone, but I seem to recall we had to lock on to the receivers, even if they went in motion across the backfield. Switching caused problems. And I think going empty backfield was an option which needed defensive preparation as well.

Old style linebackers would be in trouble trying to cover fast WRs.

I expect it had a strong influence on the CFL passing game.

2017-08-25_2057.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.