CFL Games of Week 8, August 10 - 13

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

upon noting the eskimos additions to injury list, including their number 1 receiver at the moment in Zylstra (sp?), it really looks like Ottawa game to me.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 am
Chris Carter is undoubtedly highly skilled but is a loose cannon. He's talking trash after scoring a touchdown in which his team is trailing by 30 points.
Well he seems to have trouble with consistency at the plate but he can hit big time when he does connect with the ball...

Oh, you mean Duron Carter :wink:
David
Team Captain

This Leos game (the rematch) scares me. First, it's exceedingly hard to take both games. Second, I don't know if the young guys realize what a hornet's nest Mosaic can be - the new stadium's acoustics can make it louder than old Mosaic, if you let the fans into it. Third, and most importantly, our only healthy quarterback is Ross. Sure, Jennings and Lulay are saying the right things but reading between the lines, I don't think Jennings is any more that 80% healthy (at best) and Lulay at 60% (that's being generous).

So I think Jennings will be given the ball, but how sore is the shoulder and how much rust will he have being out a month remains to be seen. We also don't know the extent of Cody Husband's injury (blurred vision last game, likely from having his "bell rung").

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 am
Chris Carter is undoubtedly highly skilled but is a loose cannon. He's talking trash after scoring a touchdown in which his team is trailing by 30 points.
Well he seems to have trouble with consistency at the plate but he can hit big time when he does connect with the ball...

Oh, you mean Duron Carter :wink:
I saw that. I didn't think it was trash talk of the 'I'm better than you' type. I think It related to the earlier hit on him that got the penalty.

I'm with Stegall to a point - Milt S says that he's the best receiver in the CFL. I agree if you consider just his pass catching ability. But I'd say he's not the best now as he's still not fully there yet as to maturity as he was clearly unhappy that he wasn't involved in the game and you could read it on him from the stands. Receivers like Burnham etc don't seem to show any unhappiness as DC still can do and they're still seem to run routes even when they know it's not likely to come their way.

Blitz asked if McAdoo's play calling was at issue in this last game. Being at this game, it seemed like a combo of that and Glenn knowing he didn't have the time - but the play calling had them in a rut and when they got a break they turned it over.

Bridge was basically a good change in garbage time as the Lions knew it was over anyway. What he did though was give the Lions a NEW look - something that the OC and Kevin Glenn weren't giving the Lions.

I'm sure if the Lions had a quality athlete like Carter on their offense (he's even blocked a FG) Blitz would be designing plays to get him the ball early and get and keep him involved the game. Receivers like can't just be heading for the long bomb if it's not there.

The Lions will no doubt - maybe not yet- have the same situation and need to get Chris Williams involved more as they've done a bit with Rainey. I say not yet as I think they don't want to risk any injury to this guy this early.

It's his make up and of course the fact that his father was a dick didn't help him. I remember Mitch Berger on 1040 trashing Cris Carter as a team mate several years back and despite not wanting his team hurt, he'd hope for a Carter screw up.....lol.

I read IIRC that Duron Carter was training as a young kid at his dad's camps much like Peyton Manning was learning from his QB daddy watching NFL film with Archie. However, their daddies are made up very differently. Thus, I cut this guy some slack.

===

Henry Burris Tweets on loss of leadership in Ottawa.

I suspect that Burris meant himself - quite a bit in that set of tweets - as well as he meant that sincerely the RedBlacks are close to winning sooner than later.

However, despite what Trevor Harris and Coach Campbell say - Burris has not yet been replaced by Trevor Harris in terms of his leadership capacity and ability to bring a team together.

===

Lions QBs - Wally spoke of how in his day there were two QBs and changes were made then that should have been made. I'd add Wilkinson - Moon to that discussion as well.
This week Lulay is banged up so it's a non-issue.

====

Trestman is an outstanding coach and I"m glad to see the overall quality of CFL recently new HC's has risen with some astute choices like him, O'Shea, Jason Maas, Dickensen, Campbell and while the jury's out - the new and enhanced version of Chapdelaine. The jury's out a bit on Chris Jones (for me) as he like Kent Austin are really making me question this guys with far too many hats on. Matt Dunigan failed in Calgary IMO - primarily as held too many roles.

But hearing that none other than Ricky Ray gets reps in practice unlike BC where Wally coached teams get reps for the QBs they have on the roster astounds me.

How can Trestman be that dumb.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton takes an early 10-0 lead midway through the first quarter despite a depleted receiving corp.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

RedBlacks have narrowed the lead to 16-13 at the half. Ottawa's Quincey McDuffie had a 92 yard punt return negated by a penalty.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Edmonton receivers offside on nearly every play. That makes about 40 seasons in row.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

RedBlacks leading 20-19 after the 3rd quarter. Can they hang on to pull an upset ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton remains undefeated with a come from behind 27-20 win. Ottawa came close but not good enough
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

reilly and willis willing the eskimos to keep on winning.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2400/edmonton- ... s/#preview

Mike Reilly, leading the way. Did we know he was that good, when he was here? Maybe. But he is world class now.

27/38, 71.1%, 384 yards, 2 TDs, 2 Int.

Oh yeah, and 51 yards rushing.

Just another day in the office.

2017-08-11_1013.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Argos trailing the Als 18-3 at the half.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Als leading 21-6 after three quarters. Jeff Mathews played the first half and now Cody Fajardo playing the 2nd half.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Marc Trestman's return to Montreal was not a victorious one as his Argos lost 21-9
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bombers leading the Ti-Cats 19-6 at the half. Zach Collaros getting harassed everytime he drops back to pass. Been sacked 3 times already.