Lions 30 - Riders 15, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lulay 19/28, 67.9%, 338 yards, 1 TD.

Fun game for us. Sloppy finish.

Huge offensive game for us.

Jones and Wally shake after the game, Gotta do that.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lulay and Glenn ...

2017-08-05_1855.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rushing ... Huge game for us.

2017-08-05_1856.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Receiving ... Huge game for us.

2017-08-05_1859.png

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I would have liked more TDs and for the D to play 100% till the final whistle.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Beautiful pick by Anthony Thompson. He is already looking like our best NAT Safety in the last few years. Early yet, though.
2017-08-05_1902.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Burnham steals it ...
2017-08-05_1905.png

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

So far, Burnham is my favorite most exciting lions receiver since Fernandez. Hope he sticks around for longer.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A great game overall but that last 3 mins plus a couple of really undisciplined penalties should get the riot act. Also, the short kick off. More effort is required on that.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:11 pm
A great game overall but that last 3 mins plus a couple of really undisciplined penalties should get the riot act. Also, the short kick off. More effort is required on that.
The defence up to the insertion of Bridge were playing a "statement game". Then they went out with a whimper. I realize the backups were in but it left a foul taste in my mouth.
I hope the collective leadership amongst the players address it during game balls.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

IMO Lulay's arm looks stronger than ever. Good touch too. I expect his presence in the huddle is very reassuring for the troops. A coach on the field.

JJ10 back soon. Please be decisive, Wally. I don't think a 2 QB system works. Although I am a long time Lulay fan, I think it has to be JJ10 at the helm, when he is ready.

2017-08-05_1923.png

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

A couple of concerns:

Glenn and the Riders offence moved the ball easily for the first 2 or 3 possessions. If it was not for some big plays to stop drives, the Riders could have easily put 10-14 points on the board in the first quarter. Based on the start, I never would have dreamed the Lions would be looking at a possible shutout late in the 4th quarter.

Speaking of which... those 15 points the Riders scored late really bother me. I get that the Lions defence has had so many injuries of late that Washington needed to get starters off the field once the game appeared to be over. But for a team that has been burned by a couple of last minute melt downs, I would have liked to see the Lions defence a statement by shutting out a team when they had the chance.

Can the Riders beat us by 16 next week? Not likely. Could they beat us by 31? Absolutely not. The Lions could have effectively won the season series tonight. Instead they left the door open just a crack for the Riders.
BC 1988
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:24 pm
JJ10 back soon. Please be decisive, Wally. I don't think a 2 QB system works. Although I am a long time Lulay fan, I think it has to be JJ10 at the helm, when he is ready.
Agreed. LU just said that TL was "winded, with a helmet to the ribs". It was nice to see JJ10 out there on one knee while he was down and there was all the uncertainty about how bad it was. JJ10 could be close to returning, since he was dressed for this game. (It will be JJ10 bobblehead night vs CGY Aug 18th).
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Question for those that believe a two-QB system doesn't work (and I do think you're on the right side of history believing that), but just the same, I'd be interested in hearing thoughts/opinions on where the main problems lie with that: As I've opined before in consideration of this notion, with Jonathan and Travis there would be little if any ego issues arising. So a healthy vibe would still be happening.

Plus there have been notable instances in CFL history where it has worked rather well for a spell. Names cited earlier in this forum (another thread) and also some cited by Suitor and Cuthbert during the telecast today support that. I'm not full-out lobbying for this, but I guess my sentimental side along with my admiration for the current play of Travis has me leaning that way (with my heart at least) at the moment.

Is it really that impractical? Even if contrary to the usual arrangement and/or coaching philosophy. Just asking. Again, I wouldn't suggest randomly platooning from series to series, but perhaps consider a designated half-game for each, or change-ups from game to game, depending. I can almost see some clever coaches managing that. Likely beyond the scope of our current offensive coordinator's usually rigid imagination though. Although, I liked a lot of what I saw tonight from the offence (although sputtering out and settling for field goals a few times--too many--got me muttering!)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Barnes-Holloway seemed to work fairly well but I think those kinds of situations are clearly a minority thing.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.