Riders vs. Lions Aug. 5, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is the week that many Lions fans have been waiting and hoping for since training camp. According to LU, Chris Williams makes his Lions debut at boundary WR and NIck Moore will stay in the lineup as a fourth international receiver. Charles Vallancourt will also start at LG ahead of David Foucault (concussion protocol).
LIONS TALES: B.C could make as many as eight moves for Saturday’s game but half of them are a result of the dislocated elbow to T.J. Lee that will keep him out four weeks, which has resulted in massive change in the secondary, including the season debut of Steven Clarke at cornerback alongside the returning Anthony Gaitor. Clarke will now have played all five spots in the secondary. Anthony Thompson moves to safety and Loucheiz Purifoy will play alongside Ronnie Yell. The only change based on performance will be to sit LG David Foucault, who did not participate in practice the last two days but could clear concussion protocol Friday, with Charles Vaillancourt. “I’m ready. I’ve been patient for the last six weeks,” Vaillancourt said. Antonio Johnson is also expected to dress in a reserve role. Josh Shirley on the defensive line will start in place of DeQuin Evans (back).
This should give B.C. the potent, pick-your-poison offence that can give defences headaches. Let's hope for a good offensive show. It could be a high-scoring game.

Williams one of a kind for Lions
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Those are some MAJOR changes in the secondary. So they have clearly come to the conclusion Fenner is better than Purifoy at nickel. After 6 weeks at safety he is now a starting halfback?

And the idea of playing a potential "impact" player at safety has been abandoned and it's back to a national again in Thompson. Yet Clarke spent all of mini and training camp lined up at safety and is now taking Thompson's starting spot on the corner.

Looks like Buddy Jackson has been dropped as a starter after one game as well. So the starting secondary is now Yell (corner), Clarke (corner), Purifoy (half), Gaitor (half), Thompson (safety) and Fenner (nickel).

Does Washington have a roulette wheel in the coaches' room to determine the starting line up each week?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:20 am
Those are some MAJOR changes in the secondary. So they have clearly come to the conclusion Fenner is better than Purifoy at nickel. After 6 weeks at safety he is now a starting halfback?

And the idea of playing a potential "impact" player at safety has been abandoned and it's back to a national again in Thompson. Yet Clarke spent all of mini and training camp lined up at safety and is now taking Thompson's starting spot on the corner.

Looks like Buddy Jackson has been dropped as a starter after one game as well. So the starting secondary is now Yell (corner), Clarke (corner), Purifoy (half), Gaitor (half), Thompson (safety) and Fenner (nickel).

Does Washington have a roulette wheel in the coaches' room to determine the starting line up each week?
Dunno, Sammy. Seems kind of like throwing poker dice. Who gets to play where this game?

They all have talent and athleticism. But the secondary is a place where one would want stability and familiarity.

The Riders might be settling down and playing better. Not many fans seem to like Kevin Glenn. This CFL fan likes him, as he is. He does seem to go through stages of turnovers, however. Maybe this game?

pic1182625.jpg
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

With my rudimentary understanding of schemes and play calls (so take this with a grain of salt), my hope is Khari is planning on using Williams mostly for underneath routes and shorter passing plays and let him use his speed to accumulate YAC yards. I am thinking/hoping this will pull defenders away from blanketing Manny and Burnham and perhaps open up more space for those big plays those 2 guys really relished last year.

In his time with the RedBlacks, Williams excelled at turning those shorter plays into something bigger with his ability to outrun angles and containment. I just hope the brain trust has planned something befitting for his skill set.

I have 2 additional hopes for this game; they give JJ24 more than 5 carries (that is a meagre, miserly total) and the roof is open.

If there is a God above, please have the roof open. If I wanted to visit a sauna, I don't need to go to Vancouver to do so; we have them right here in Victoria.
BC 1988
Legend

According to
https://www.bclions.com/lionsgameday/
ROOF WILL BE OPEN! 😎
I noticed last home game they left that line blank right up until game time, and you could have counted the rain drops that day. I'm glad "smoke" isn't another reason to shut the roof.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The depth chart still lists Nick Moore as the starter at the boundary WR spot with Chris Williams as his backup, with Marco Iannuzzi and Shaq Johnson as the fourth and fifth receivers. Bryant Turner Jr. returns as starter at DT, bumping Maxx Forde to backup.
David
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:45 am
According to
ROOF WILL BE OPEN! 😎
I noticed last home game they left that line blank right up until game time, and you could have counted the rain drops that day. I'm glad "smoke" isn't another reason to shut the roof.
Sshhhh! Don't give them any ideas! :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
According to
ROOF WILL BE OPEN! 😎
might be better for the players if they tried to keep the smoke out, depending on how bad it is.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions need to pressure Glenn. He tends to throw balls for grabs when the heat is on. Not a threat to beat you with his legs.

Don't like the idea of making wholesale changes to the secondary. Instead of Glenn targeting one area of the secondary, he now have 5 choices.
Spud387
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:02 pm
BC 1988 wrote:
According to
ROOF WILL BE OPEN! 😎
might be better for the players if they tried to keep the smoke out, depending on how bad it is.
^ Ya, considering there is an air quality advisory going on a closed roof would probably be better.
BC 1988
Legend

Spud387 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:57 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:
According to
ROOF WILL BE OPEN! 😎
^ Ya, considering there is an air quality advisory going on a closed roof would probably be better.
Moj is talking about that right now on 1040. He said that a BC junior football game in Chilliwack may be postponed tomorrow night with an air quality forecast of 8 there. LU mentioned that the Lions announced early that the roof would be open, but they might reconsider, depending on the forecast level of pollutants.

Moj just added that the Lions position is that if the roof is closed, they will have to draw in outside air for ventilation and it might make air quality inside the dome worse than if it's open.

it's quite variable within a small area--COV and Richmond are faring better than the rest of MV
https://gis.metrovancouver.org/maps/Air
Last edited by BC 1988 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

It's actually a BCFC game that may be cancelled tomorrow night.

Valley Huskers vs Langley Rams. For the Huskers sake, i hope it is cancelled. That team needs help.
CardiacKid
Legend

Here is an example of how Chris Williams' speed can kill on underneath stuff. Fred Bennett, Western All-Star in 2014, gave him cushion and looked to have the angle but still couldn't lay a finger on him.

CardiacKid
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:00 pm
Spud387 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:57 pm
KnowItAll wrote:

Moj is talking about that right now on 1040. He said that a BC junior football game in Chilliwack may be postponed tomorrow night with an air quality forecast of 8 there. LU mentioned that the Lions announced early that the roof would be open, but they might reconsider, depending on the forecast level of pollutants.

Moj just added that the Lions position is that if the roof is closed, they will have to draw in outside air for ventilation and it might make air quality inside the dome worse than if it's open.
I would say vent that bad air onto the Rider sideline but they already create their own pollutants.......cause they stink!

Is this mic on?
BC 1988
Legend

chwk_lionsfan wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:18 pm
It's actually a BCFC game that may be cancelled tomorrow night.

Valley Huskers vs Langley Rams. For the Huskers sake, i hope it is cancelled. That team needs help.
I see what you mean.
https://www.theprogress.com/sports/vall ... ce-opener/
Moj just added the (apparently definitive) word is that the game will go ahead after all.