2017 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Farhan reported on the radio this morning that Saturday's game was at over 20,000 tickets sold as of yesterday (Wednesday), meaning we're likely headed for a crowd of about 22,000 - 23,000 on Saturday.

Not like 5-10 years ago when we'd be low 30s for this game, but given it's lower bowl only, an 80-85% capacity of bodies in seats will make for a great atmosphere.

Love the Lions' "Sailgate" promotion for this game, sponsored by Budweiser. Great idea!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:46 pm
Farhan reported on the radio this morning that Saturday's game was at over 20,000 tickets sold as of yesterday (Wednesday), meaning we're likely headed for a crowd of about 22,000 - 23,000 on Saturday.

Not like 5-10 years ago when we'd be low 30s for this game, but given it's lower bowl only, an 80-85% capacity of bodies in seats will make for a great atmosphere.

Love the Lions' "Sailgate" promotion for this game, sponsored by Budweiser. Great idea!

What is "Sailgate"?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think it's been promoted as a cruise around the harbor and tickets to the game.
David
Team Captain

Yea, it must have sold out or something 'cause I noticed it's no longer featured on their website. TSN1040 has been promoting a chance to win tickets all week.

To TheLionKing's point, it a harbour cruise, food, DJ, probably Bud girls etc. I think it's a terrific idea.

As a total side note, I wonder what the appetite is to have a boat chartered from Lonsdale to False Creek to take people to and from the game? Kind of like a Lions express bus that used to pick up passengers at some of the Lower Mainland malls IIRC and take them to Empire, except this would transport football fans by boat.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:02 pm
Yea, it must have sold out or something 'cause I noticed it's no longer featured on their website. TSN1040 has been promoting a chance to win tickets all week.

To TheLionKing's point, it a harbour cruise, food, DJ, probably Bud girls etc. I think it's a terrific idea.

As a total side note, I wonder what the appetite is to have a boat chartered from Lonsdale to False Creek to take people to and from the game? Kind of like a Lions express bus that used to pick up passengers at some of the Lower Mainland malls IIRC and take them to Empire, except this would transport football fans by boat.

I agree it was a very novel and cool idea. In fact, i thought it was such a cool and unique idea that I pulled up short when I first saw it and muttered to myself "what the hell?!?! Is this a con?" Well maybe I wasn't that paranoid but it is definitely a departure for the Lions, so much so I went "whaaaaa?!?!"

I think it was purely a contest along with some media outlets giving away tickets. I don't believe you could purchase any. My only reservation about it was the preponderance of Bud. Sorry not a Bud fan; I'm a fussy Gen-Xer who likes local craft-brews.
David
Team Captain

This is probably an event just for sponsors and contestants then.

BTW, Budweiser is a sponsor, so I am in full support of any company that puts money in the team's coffers. :thup:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A brilliant idea with the sail gate. All along we have said there has to be reasons beyond the product on the field to come to games. Whitecaps sell their atmosphere and no one gives a crap how the Canadians are doing. It's all about being at Nat Bailey.

Lions need to be marketing the hell out of the Stamps visit on Aug. 18. Last home game of the summer to take advantage of the $5 kids deal, Jennings bobblehead night and of course a huge divisional game.

They typically draw better in the fall but 4 of the 5 games will be against Eastern teams and that definitely won't be working in their favour. All the parity at the start of the season now seems like so long ago.

The exception is the Eskimos visit Oct. 21. Me thinks it might be a good idea to carry the $5 deal over for the balance of the season. Biggest challenge for the Lions is their low season ticket base. When you are under 10,000 there is no game to breathe easy regardless of the time of year or opponent.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:04 am
Lions need to be marketing the hell out of the Stamps visit on Aug. 18. Last home game of the summer to take advantage of the $5 kids deal, Jennings bobblehead night and of course a huge divisional game.
I thought back in maybe late June somebody I believe on Sekeres' show indicated the Southsiders were planning on showing up for the Calgary game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Week 7 CFL viewership numbers:

Thursday
Calgary at Toronto: 444,000

Friday
Winnipeg at Ottawa: 513,000

Hamilton at Edmonton: 658,000

Saturday
Saskatchewan at B.C.: 533,000
I really like the 4 pm starts on Saturdays to attend Lions home games but is it a ratings killer, especially in BC in the middle of summer, expecting people to be in front of their TVs that time of the day?

Very surprised to see Edm/Ham draw well over 100,000 more.

Overall CFL ratings are down 14.5 percent this year despite a very high entertainment value for the majority of games.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 am

Thursday

Friday

Saturday
I really like the 4 pm starts on Saturdays to attend Lions home games but is it a ratings killer, especially in BC in the middle of summer, expecting people to be in front of their TVs that time of the day?

Overall CFL ratings are down 14.5 percent this year despite a very high entertainment value for the majority of games.
I agree 4 p.m games are a ratings killer. It's no surprise the second game of the Friday doubleheader was the best-watched game of the weekend. As a fan, I don't care for the 4 p.m. starts but I notice more kids at the early games. And if the early start makes it easier for fans from the Interior and Island to get across and back on the same day, it's worth trying a couple of times a year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:13 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 am

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

I agree 4 p.m games are a ratings killer. It's no surprise the second game of the Friday doubleheader was the best-watched game of the weekend. As a fan, I don't care for the 4 p.m. starts but I notice more kids at the early games. And if the early start makes it easier for fans from the Interior and Island to get across and back on the same day, it's worth trying a couple of times a year.
I've warmed up to the 4:00 starts. I wouldn't want a steady diet of them but don't at all mind 1 or 2. As someone who comes from out of town the afternoon can drag on when I'm trying to kill time for a 7:00pm start. I kinda like the non-rush post game aspect of the 4:00 start. Don't have to hustle to beat the rush for a seat in a post game watering hole like Doolins.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

really like the 4pm starts now we've had a few of them.
Maybe they should put them in the fall though.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not particularly enamored with the 4:00 PM start. I suppose it's good for out of town fans as B.C. Fan has noted. I've accustomed to paying evening parking rates and having a leisurely pre-game meal. The late afternoon start means the parking rates overlaps what I pay for daytime and evening parking. Cost more to park.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

As far as the 14 percent drop in viewers so far this season would love to know how that number reflects in TSN losing customers as more and more cut cable services, especially millennials.
My 20-something buddy at work is a Whitecaps season ticket holder and cancelled his cable entirely a few months ago, content to pay $9.99 a month for Netflix only.

It's a real tough one for the CFL as the new deal with TSN is very lucrative but working out some kind of streaming option for Canadian viewers needs to be a very high priority. We have all heard how the CFL lost a generation of fans with the home blackouts. The next thing will be hearing the 30 and under market being lost because very few are subscribing to cable.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I just got an email from the Lions saying the first 5,000 fans on Friday get a free Jonathon Jennings bobblehead. Not the best timing, given the way Jennings played tonight, but it will likely be a popular promotion.