New Rule Change effective immediately

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

:cheer: :yahoo: :wave:

Good! Too bad that people lose sight of what the damn thing was for. Rather than use it to improve the game, teams made the game worse. Short sighted, stupid and almost cheating IMO. Glad to see so many coaches are thinking of good of the game (sarcasym).
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good for Ambrosie. Good for the fans. :thup:

I agree with those that say the reliance on technology does not help. Leave it to the officials on the field. The decisions from Command Centre are perhaps even less satisfying than those from the field. --> We expect clarity and do not get it.

With technology we look deeper and deeper, smaller and smaller, faster and faster, slower and slower. At a very small level the lines on the field would not be consistent. If it got down to the quantum level, nothing would be certain. LOL Stay with the human element. As most agree, the calls tend to even out.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm already liking the new Commissioner. It's obvious that he's listening to fans on his cross Canada tour.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:41 am

Good! Too bad that people lose sight of what the damn thing was for. Rather than use it to improve the game, teams made the game worse. Short sighted, stupid and almost cheating IMO. Glad to see so many coaches are thinking of good of the game (sarcasym).
Of the underlined words above the key word is "almost". To win football games you have to be deceptive to take opponents out of their comfort zone, play hard right to the whistle, and bend the rules but don't break them.

Coaches are paid to win games. "The good of the game" is on its own and not part of the game plan.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

To echo comments already expressed, good on Mr. Ambrosie! If he's been listening with both ears he will be understanding this is but the first step in a series of necessary changes to do with reviews and officiating. Everyone knows the process needs to -- and the sooner the better -- involve clean-up at the Command Centre. Perhaps even dismantling of the CC? Dunno. But admittedly, as incompetent as the guys there often seem to be, I suspect I would all too often regret the fact that we're heading back to the era of being so much at the mercy of on-field refereeing and human error. But, sigh, I think that will have to be part of it always. Thankfully, IMO, the human aspect has more pros than cons in our wonderful game. So, yeah, lets do it -- lets continue the process. Here's to enjoying the game in a more organic way again -- even if that involves screaming at the Zebras (as that stuff tends to even out).
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I'm liking Mr. Ambrosie more and more by the day. He could end up being one of our league's heroes. Here's a link to a 20-minute Q&A:
http://3downnation.com/2017/08/02/audio ... w-changes/
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:32 am
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:41 am

Of the underlined words above the key word is "almost". To win football games you have to be deceptive to take opponents out of their comfort zone, play hard right to the whistle, and bend the rules but don't break them.

Coaches are paid to win games. "The good of the game" is on its own and not part of the game plan.
While you are right in one sense, it makes about as much sense as shooting yourself in the foot. Great if you don't want something to work out but really bad long term. Viewership is a problem in this league. Without it, there is no league, no teams, no players, no coaches. The real contest is for the hearts and minds of the fans. If they tune out because it seems mickey mouse or unfair then no one wins. Coaches like Maas, Jones and others owe an awful lot this league. They have made gainful livings from it. In some sense, they are paid to sell the game as much as win them. Taking the rules and bending them to the point of making them ridiculous is disloyal to the fans, the players, the league and the game. If you are saying that this sport can only raise itself as far as the win without regard for things like sportsmanship and sustainability, then it will end at somepoint and that W that was gained and seemed so important at the time is going to seem very small. It's about principles in the end and to this point, there have been a few too many examples of where princples have been sadly absent. Thus the league has had to step in and change the rules.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This doesn't go far enough. Judgment calls such as pass interference can still be challenged. That's where the problem lies. That's where coaches are fishing for penalties. Let the players play and ban challenges for pass interference or illegal contact.
Huge Talent
Starter

While you are right in one sense, it makes about as much sense as shooting yourself in the foot. Great if you don't want something to work out but really bad long term. Viewership is a problem in this league. Without it, there is no league, no teams, no players, no coaches. The real contest is for the hearts and minds of the fans. If they tune out because it seems mickey mouse or unfair then no one wins. Coaches like Maas, Jones and others owe an awful lot this league. They have made gainful livings from it. In some sense, they are paid to sell the game as much as win them. Taking the rules and bending them to the point of making them ridiculous is disloyal to the fans, the players, the league and the game. If you are saying that this sport can only raise itself as far as the win without regard for things like sportsmanship and sustainability, then it will end at somepoint and that W that was gained and seemed so important at the time is going to seem very small. It's about principles in the end and to this point, there have been a few too many examples of where princples have been sadly absent. Thus the league has had to step in and change the rules.
[/quote]

I don't blame the coaches at all. Their job is to win. If they obey the rules and gain a competitive advantage by using replay a certain way, power to them. It's the league's responsibility to make rules which are good for the game. Credit to the new commish for doing just that. I do think, however, that allowing one more of the first is successful, and eliminating judgement calls from being reviewable is the best solution. It's possible, likely in fact, that CFL refs could blow more than one call. But to over turn it must be clearly a blown call.. And they have 30 seconds to review it.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:40 pm
This doesn't go far enough. Judgment calls such as pass interference can still be challenged. That's where the problem lies. That's where coaches are fishing for penalties. Let the players play and ban challenges for pass interference or illegal contact.
I have a feeling that this is a short term solution. This issue will be discussed in length in the off season with more changes forthcoming.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Here's a "Readers Digest" (i.e. severely abridged) version, with additional random commentary of the Q&A link I provided earlier in the thread, for those of you with limited time. http://3downnation.com/2017/08/02/ambro ... ide-games/ However I really enjoyed the 3DownRadio clip as it affords a nice chance to hear Ambrosie's mind at work. He'll be good for us I think. High hopes!
Rammer
Team Captain

Huge Talent wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:35 pm

I don't blame the coaches at all. Their job is to win. If they obey the rules and gain a competitive advantage by using replay a certain way, power to them. It's the league's responsibility to make rules which are good for the game. Credit to the new commish for doing just that. I do think, however, that allowing one more of the first is successful, and eliminating judgement calls from being reviewable is the best solution. It's possible, likely in fact, that CFL refs could blow more than one call. But to over turn it must be clearly a blown call.. And they have 30 seconds to review it.
Agree, refs will still make the wrong call more than once in a game. Put the onus on the HC to make sure he can use that challenge again if needed and he won't be using it willy nilly on the first one anyways. Add the punishment of a lost TO to a potential wrong second challenge and the coach that is trailing won't throw that second challenge as easily either.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

The curmudgeon, Dave Dickenson, is going to lose his mind if his challenges are taken away. I mean, what is the meaning of football, if it can't be played in 4 hours? :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jason Maas will be doing his fishing on the water from here on in.