West Showdown - Leos vs. Eskimos

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos, coming off their fourth victory in a row take on the undefeated Edmonton Eskimos in a West showdown on Friday night.

Both squads feel that a special season will be about to unfold if they can win this football game.

Our Leos are coming off a wild and crazy win over Winnipeg A very late Ronnie Yell interception in Bomber territory led to Buono's decision to run the football twice and kick a field goal to put our Leos ahead by three points. We then hung on and hoped, as Medlock's 50 yard attempt died just short of the posts to win our first game of the season at home.

But our Leos are not the only CFL team to have won a lot of games in the fourth quarter this season. Jason Maas's Eskimos have also relied on Mike Reilly leading them to fourth quarter come from behind victories. The Eskimos have won four of their games by a combined total of 12 points. The Eskimo record for this type of feat goes back to 1976, when they won five games by a combined total of 19 points.

This game pits our B.C. Lions as the CFL's best offensive team so far this season against the CFL's best defensive team so far in 2017. Our Leos are tied with the Ottawa Redblacks for most points scored so far this season.

Our Leos lead the CFL in possession time, rank third in both rushing and passing yards. Somehow we've led the CFL in points scored while giving up the most quarterback sacks in the CFL.

Nick Moore is our leading receiver so far. He ranks 6th in CFL receiving and Bryan Burnham follows closey behind Moore, ranking 7th in CFL receiving so far this season. Nick \Moore also ranks 2nd in the CFL in average yds. per reception (an impressive 17.9 yds. per catch)

Brandon Zylstra has been the Eskimos go to receiver so far this season. He ranks 5th in CFL receiving and no other Edmonton receiver ranks close to his production. He must be given special attention in this game.

We've also won four games in a row while being only the CFL's 6th rated defense, in terms of points scored against. Our Leos defense is tied for 3rd place in the CFL in sacks and interceptions but we've given up a lot of big plays or allowed the opposition to score too frequently.

The Eskimos offence only ranks 6th in the CFL going into this contest, having only scored 79 points so far this season, less than 20 points per game.

But Mike Reilly leads the CFL in quarterback proficiency. He has a 115.1 quarterback efficiency average. To put that in perspective, Travis Lulay, coming off two 400 yard games has a quarterback proficiency average in those two contests of 106.5

On special teams Ty Long leads the CFL in kickoff average and is third in punt average and if he had punted an average of 1/2 yard more per punt he would be leading the CFL - not too shabby for a guy who didn't punt in college.

But our Leos rank 7th in punt return average and 4th in kick return average while having the CFL's best returner in Chris Rainey, as our Leos blocking on punt returns has been mediocre, to say the least and only average on kick returns.

WRAP

It should be quite a contest - two vet quarterbacks in Reilly and Lulay an d both playing very well, two squads who play their best under pressure in the fourth quarter, and two very motivated teams vying for 1st place in the CFL.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
rocky500
prospect

No mistakes..... protect Lulay and the Leos win!
David
Team Captain

According to LU, Manny is banged up but expected to play. As a precaution though, the club is activating Maurice Morgan who had a good camp.

Other changes:

* Kelvin Palmer makes his debut ahead of Antonion Johnson at RT (hmmm...is this the game to experiment??)
* Buddy Jackson starts in place of Anthony Gaitor (thigh)
* Rookie Nate Hamlin will dress as will local kid Louie Richardson. Some of you long time fans may remember his dad, DE Louie Richardson Sr. (1978-79) who was a cousin of Larry Key and Leon "Neon" Bright.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm
According to LU, Manny is banged up but expected to play. As a precaution, the club is activating Maurice Morgan who had a good camp.

Other changes:

* Kelvin Palmer makes his debut ahead of Antonion Johnson at RT (hmmm...is this the game to experiment??)
* Rookie Nate Hamlin will dress as will local kid Louie Richardson. Some of you long time fans may remember his dad, DE Louie Richardson Sr. (1978-79) who was a cousin of Larry Key and Leon "Neon" Bright.

I heard that as well. Matt Baker has a bit more information at bclions.com on the injuries to Arceneaux, Gaitor, and Bryant Turner Jr., who will again be replaced by Maxx Forde.
As far as injury updates go for the visitors, Emmanuel Arceneaux is expected to dress after taking limited reps. in practice to rest up lingering shoulder and leg problems. Maurice Morgan has been added to the roster as a precaution and will back up Arceneaux at his inside slot position.

“He feels good and should be ready to go,” said Buono of Arceneaux.

Buddy Jackson will make his Lions debut at halfback, as Anthony Gaitor is still dealing with a leg injury suffered last week. Defensive Lineman Bryant Turner Jr. is out for a second straight game with a wonky ankle.
1ST PLACE SHOWDOWN | LIONS INVADE EDMONTON
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If Louie Richardson plays anywhere near like his dad, he should be a special player.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm
According to LU, Manny is banged up but expected to play. As a precaution though, the club is activating Maurice Morgan who had a good camp.

Other changes: 7

Edmonton's strength is their DL. I agree with your concerns about starting a raw RT against the Esks of all teams. Lulay be ready, and I hope the Lions have a game plan to help Lulay in case Sewell gets in a groove.

Seems like quite a few changes that are interesting given the opposition. One thing is the Esks won't have game film tendencies on the new guys, perhaps that will be the Lions advantage.

This game is huge for the Lions club, a loss and it will hurt the momentum built up with the four straight wins the attendance has enjoyed. A win and the Lions should take over the sports section, a rare feat that will build attendance.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I have never been overly impressed with A. Johnson at RT so I welcome trying rookie Kelvin Palmer who had a good TC at RT. Just keep Rolly Lumbala at the ready to play TE or blocking back if Palmer falters.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The official depth chart confirms all the changes that have been reported. DB Buddy Jackson, SB Maurice Morgan, CB Nate Hamlin, OT Kelvin Palmer, and DL Louie Richardson are added to the roster. DB Keynan Parker, FB Dakota Brush, OT Antonio Johnson, DL Andrew Hudson, DL Bryant Turner Jr. are off.

As for changes among starters on defence, Jackson starts ahead of Anthony Gaitor, who remains on the roster but is not expected to play. Tony Burnett returns as starter at WILL ahead of Micah Awe and Dyshawn Davis. Davis may be scratched. The DL starters remain the same, with Maxx Forde at DT, but the Lions now have 4 Canadians among their 8 DL.

On offence, Palmer is the only new starter at RT. Johnson struggled in the opener against Edmonton, so the Lions have nothing to lose with this switch. Manny Arceneaux is still listed as starter at SB with Maurice Morgan as his backup. Morgan is likely to be scratched if Arceneaux plays.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lulay's health is at risk on this move, surely Johnson would have worked on game film and made some adjustments by game six for the Esks.

Hope this change works out, but it is against the CFL's best Dline, without an experienced back up to Lulay. Risky business IMO, and without Jennings for the next couple of games either. That makes the Lions vulnerable and will make the Esks preparation all the more ... inspired.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer

8 starting Nationals. I like it because if one of the NATs comes out of the game, he can be replaced by an INT. So it creates greater substitution flexibility .
maxlion
Legend

I'm surprised that Buddy Jackson starts ahead of Steven Clarke. Clarke seems to have fallen off the radar for some reason.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:41 pm
I'm surprised that Buddy Jackson starts ahead of Steven Clarke. Clarke seems to have fallen off the radar for some reason.
I was thinking the same thing. Anyone know which one is faster?
BC 1988
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 am
Lulay's health is at risk on this move, surely Johnson would have worked on game film and made some adjustments by game six for the Esks.

Hope this change works out, but it is against the CFL's best Dline, without an experienced back up to Lulay. Risky business IMO, and without Jennings for the next couple of games either. That makes the Lions vulnerable and will make the Esks preparation all the more ... inspired.
This gives me a feeling of dread. I hope the coaching staff know what they're doing.

Sean Whyte creates some bulletin board material:
https://www.3downnation.com/2017/07/27/ ... ting-guys/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:41 pm
Jackson is considered a better cover guy. He's also 3 inches taller and faster. That's why he was pencilled in as starting field halfback before Gaitor returned, and Clarke was pencilled in as safety until Wally moved Purifoy to that spot at the last minute.

Jackson is the Lions' tallest DB, and his size is noticeable when he's on the field. (Chandler Fenner and Tony Burnett are also 6-1 but they play closer to the line of scrimmage.) I like what I saw of Jackson in camp and preseason. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a game against Mike Reilly and Edmonton's receivers.

Jackson
6-1, 190 lbs. (per bclions.com)
4.37 speed in the 40 (per nfldraftscout.com at 2012 pro day)

Clarke
5-10, 195 lbs. (per bclions.com)
4.53 speed in the 40 (per nfldraftscout.com at 2014 pro day)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hope the Lions make Sean Whyte eat his words.