Lions ownership discussion thread (Topics merged into here)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think a lot of the criticism of CFL officiating reflects the attitude that the league is second rate. NFL and NCAA games have lots of questionable calls and replay reviews but viewers aren't as quick to heap scorn on the leagues when they question a call. The CFL central review process is much more sophisticated than the NFL process. The NFL is moving toward a CFL-style central command centre this year, with on-field officials being given tablets to consult with the command centre during reviews rather than looking under a hood on the sideline and making the call themselves.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 pm
Matt Baker wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:33 pm
As per the comments on how much respect our league gets south of the border: I have really noticed it first hand with the two US free agent camps the club has sent us to cover, most recently in Dallas this past April.

Along with the talent on display, the stadium was full with curious onlookers, a couple former players, high school coaches, scouts etc. who all were there looking with a keen interest. "Football is football" was the vibe I got from a lot of those folks. That was really cool to see and I always think back to it when I hear people up here trash the CFL.
It sounds like the free agent camps get a better turnout than training camp. I've noticed a drop in attendance in Kamloops in recent years.
IMO there is a lot less fan appeal at CFL TCs these days. I have been to some Kamloops TCs in which all they did was calisthenics and drills but no actual football plays. Less hitting and less physical play is beneficial for the players, but less interesting for the fans.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 pm
IMO there is a lot less fan appeal at CFL TCs these days. I have been to some Kamloops TCs in which all they did was calisthenics and drills but no actual football plays. Less hitting and less physical play is beneficial for the players, but less interesting for the fans.
Yes, the first two days of camp in Kamloops this year involved nothing but walk-thrus. The only information I gleaned from that was who was taking first-team reps. The team didn't even issue a depth chart until Day 3. After that point, there's only one contact session per day, and any practice can be cancelled without notice. I was in the stands at 8:30 a.m. one day this year, only to find out that the coaches decided to have meetings only. It can be tough for a fan travelling from outside the Kamloops area with no guarantee of seeing much action.
David
Team Captain

Hmmm, the Canucks announce Bo Horvat's deal the morning of a Leos home game and dominates the media. Could this be Francesco's subtle way of getting the talks moving for a deal to purchase the Leos? :wink:

Conspiracy theorists want to know!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:24 am
Hmmm, the Canucks announce Bo Horvat's deal the morning of a Leos home game and dominates the media. Could this be Francesco's subtle way of getting the talks moving for a deal to purchase the Leos? :wink:

Conspiracy theorists want to know!

I thought Regina was the hotbed of CFL conspiracy theories. :wink:

Meh. Horvat's signing before training camp opens has been the #1 burning topic amongst Canuck fans for 2 months now. I think they were hugely motivated to put all that to rest and have the deal done and announced before the first big training camp event, the Young Stars Tournament, kicks off in Penticton tonight. It's certainly not like they would've finalized the deal 3 days ago and waited until now. They'd want to get that news out ASAP after it was finalized and signed. Excellent deal for both Horvat and the Canucks.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Is a potential new ownership group behind a proposal to build a new outdoor stadium in Surrey? Mystery seems to surround the proposed "pro" team but I thought of the Lions as soon as I read about it.
An as-yet-unnamed group has proposed to build an outdoor stadium on city-owned land in Surrey for a yet-to-be-identified pro team, said Coun. Bob Hayne, rolling out a mystery as to who that might be.

It doesn’t appear to be either the B.C. Lions or the Vancouver Whitecaps as management of both teams, which play home games at B.C. Place Stadium now, expressed little knowledge of the proposed development.

However, Surrey has received an unsolicited bid from a group, Hayne said, though he declined to even name the sport in question, citing a non-disclosure agreement signed with the proponent.

But the city has opened a request for expressions of interest to see if other proponents are willing to put in competing bids for a stadium.
Hayne was also coy about how big a proposed stadium would be, which would depend on the proponent’s business model, including the kinds of amenities, such as restaurants or entertainment options.
The Lions have a practice facility in Surrey, but team spokesman Jamie Cartmell said in an email that the organization has “no plans to play our games anywhere but B.C. Place now and in the future.”

Lions owner David Braley, however, said earlier this year that the team is up for sale and that he has been in discussions with potential buyers.

Potential Surrey stadium competing bids have until Oct. 16 to sign confidentiality agreements to take part in the selection process.
Mystery surrounds proposal to build Surrey outdoor stadium
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Why is David Braley torturing the fans of the B.C. Lions?

Yes, it is his team. And he has demonstrated great affection for it and loyalty to it.

But he has encouraged talk of selling for a long time now. And he is seemingly not even close to selling it. This is most annoying to fans who want closure. It is like a nagging ache.

IMO he is damaging the franchise with his dithering.

It must be annoying to Wally Buono as well. He should be able to plan his own future. Stay. Leave. Whatever. Wally waits on David. David waits on what? No potential buyer is going to give Braley anything near his hoped for price.

I cannot believe it is all about money. Braley has thrown loads of money down the hatch for CFL teams.

But if it is primarily about money, then that is just not good enough. One cannot see the value of the franchise increasing as things stand now.

In a sense, it almost feels like a bait and switch. Braley discusses selling. Fans adjust their emotions for that. Nothing happens. Once a year or so, Braley hangs out some possibilities in an interview. He says there are a number of interested buyers. Nothing happens. Fans adjust their emotions. Lots of speculation. Some interested parties become public. Nothing happens. Fans see the product on the field suffer. Fans sense the value of the franchise dropping. Nothing happens.

David Braley has been hanging out the prospect of a sale for way too long. It is time to act.

I would suspect that this year, and off-season, are critical in this process. Critical. Before the franchise is damaged beyond return. Patience has its limits. Even loyalty has its limits.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder how Braley made his millions ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:06 pm
Wonder how Braley made his millions ?
We know that. Orlick Industries. He made millions by being smart in business. Not so sure he is being smart about the business side of the B.C. Lions.

But it seems that sports franchises for him are not so much about making money. He has taken on some teams that did not have good financial prospects. To his credit, I would say.

His handling of this transition is decreasing the value of his franchise as he holds out for a better price.

I would guess most of the fans are not happy.

The results on the field are not good.

And prospective buyers cannot be happy with the very, very slow process. It is a buyer's market. They are in no hurry to meet his demands.

If what he is doing is about making a profit on the sale of the franchise, I don't think that is working.

If what he is doing is about reluctance to give it up, that is a barrier he will have to overcome.

Meantime, fans and prospective buyers are waiting ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Bosco
Team Captain

I credit West Coast Joe with the line / question of the year:

"Why is David Braley torturing the fans of the B.C. Lions?"

The alleged sale of the team cannot happen quick enough - for a variety of reasons.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:35 pm
I credit West Coast Joe with the line / question of the year:

"Why is David Braley torturing the fans of the B.C. Lions?"

The alleged sale of the team cannot happen quick enough - for a variety of reasons.
LOL

Torture. Yup.

I will have to deal with it. Lemme see ... Alcohol? Lose interest? Give up on the team?

He wants somebody to make him an offer he cannot refuse. Ain't gonna happen ...

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Yes, the Lions are a private business and the owner is entitled to do whatever he wants, including hanging onto the team as long as he wishes to. I guess the same way us season ticket holders/customers are entitled to not renew our seats next season to protest how he is running the franchise into the ground. Sadly, this is where this is going for many or already has based on the declining ST base.
The fans feedback on social media and beyond is getting nasty. A caller from the North Shore on the post-game show Saturday, who would not reveal his identity, said he was not renewing his sponsorship deal with the club or tickets next season.
These are not fun times being a Lions fan in Vancouver.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

IMO if Braley isn't already past exploratory discussions and into some form of formal negotiations by now then this club will not have new owners in place until well after New Years. Deals like selling a pro sports franchise take months not days or weeks. I remain confident a sale will happen by year end.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

The latest on the ownership odyssey. 3 things worth noting:

1) Has raised the interest (concern?) of Ambrosie and league
2) 3 candidates in the running
3) Interest from the Aquilini group has now waned (likely due to Braley's dithering)

http://theprovince.com/sports/football/ ... rable-year

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:01 am
The latest on the ownership odyssey. 3 things worth noting:

1) Has raised the interest (concern?) of Ambrosie and league
2) 3 candidates in the running
3) Interest from the Aquilini group has now waned (likely due to Braley's dithering)

http://theprovince.com/sports/football/ ... rable-year

I feel sorry for Wally, having to function as a CFL governor, team president, GM and coach with little support from above.
“This is miserable,” he said. “You think I’m having fun? You think I need the money? Come on. I don’t need any of this.”
“Believe me, I know (about the problems) more than anybody. I’m the only one here. We have no president and David (Braley) has a lot of things he’s dealing with. He’s trusting me.”
I hope it is resolved soon.