Lions and RP21 part ways

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

louharris74
Rookie

I suspect that will be it for RP21. 12 years playing professional is a very good run. Class guy, one of the great long-time Lions. If he does not catch on with another team hopefully we see him at BC Place sometime this summer. Might be future coaching material.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think his only real shot to keep playing is in Hamilton. Their secondary is woeful and very inexperienced. He might be able to help steady that group a bit as a backup and mentor.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Was wondering why he wasn't playing against Calgary.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Philips is a great guy to have in the locker room and even at 34 he would make Hamilton better on the field. But is there room for him in Kent Austin's locker room? Austin seems to go through a lot of coordinators and assistants. He doesn't strike me as a guy who likes to share leadership with anyone. If Phillips playing days are over, I hope he gets a one-day contract and retires as a BC Lion.
almo89
Legend

Looks like Wally was right again. Every time Wally lets a veteran go, it seems cruel at first, but he rarely seems to be wrong on this type of stuff. I was so upset when Clermont got let go, but he barely played when he went over to Sask. He did win a cup with them, but wasn't an integral part of their receiving corps.
ZLions
Rookie

almo89 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:26 pm
Looks like Wally was right again. Every time Wally lets a veteran go, it seems cruel at first, but he rarely seems to be wrong on this type of stuff. I was so upset when Clermont got let go, but he barely played when he went over to Sask. He did win a cup with them, but wasn't an integral part of their receiving corps.
Clermont didn't win a cup with Saskatchewan, did he?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

When Wally decides that it is time for a vet to take a reduced salary/reduced role he is rarely wrong. That said TiCats and Riders come to mind as teams needing DB help so Philip's career might not be over just yet.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

These young men have followed their dreams, against the odds, despite others doubting their hopes. They proved it to themselves, against the doubters. They played pro football, at All-Star level. When they age, it is impossible for them to give up the dream.

Ryan Phillips was as classy as it gets. A very fast ballhawk.

I hope he signs a one day contract with our team and retires a Lion. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ironically, Phillips lost his job to newly signed Brandon Stewart, who is three years younger and played beside him last year in B.C., according to Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette.
Instead, the Als decided to utilize Stewart at field cornerback. The 31-year-old, now in his 11th Canadian Football League season, joined the team only last Monday and played after only three full practices. It marked Stewart’s first game since last November’s West Division final.

“Brandon did well for himself. At the end of the day, that’s the nature of this business. The competitive aspect’s constant and Brandon did well in the game,” head coach Jacques Chapdelaine said following Sunday afternoon’s practice at Olympic Stadium.

“He does give us something (defensive co-ordinator Noel) Thorpe likes — a bit of speed, physicality and some reaction Ryan showed us some good things, but in the world of competition that we have, Brandon probably pulled up a little ahead.”
Numbers game claims Als' Phillips, but benefits newcomer Stewart

I thought both players were done after their awful season last year in B.C. I thought Phillips played better in his last game against B.C. in Montreal than Stewart played on the weekend against Calgary, but the Als won in Stewart's debut so maybe that influenced their thinking.

Phillips couldn't play in Hamilton or Saskatchewan because those teams require DBs to play a lot of press man coverage, chasing receivers across and down the field with their backs to the quarterback. At 34, Phillips doesn't have the tools to play man coverage. There had been talk before the season of using him as a safety in Montreal but the Als opted to stick with a national at that spot.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Beautifully put, WestCoastJoe. I've an abiding fondness for that fellow, and I hope Ryan "at the end of the day" (sorry, couldn't resist!) is able to exit the field of play with grace and dignity. IMO, whatever there was to prove regards his skill and character-- he's thoroughly proven it with a long and steady career. For sure, a B.C. Lion, always.
almo89
Legend

ZLions wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:37 pm
almo89 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:26 pm
Clermont didn't win a cup with Saskatchewan, did he?
woops blurry memory. Was thinking Geroy I think lol
aklawitter
All Star

Clermont was part of the 13th Man game.

He caught the TD pass in OT (2010 West SF) that knocked us out.