Jeremiah Johnson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Be honest. Did anyone believe when we signed Jeremiah Johnson that he'd be as good as he is?

I knew a little bit about him. I remember he torched us pretty good here at BC Place when he played for Ottawa. But I had absolutely no idea that he was the player we're seeing now. I love everything about his guy.

He sees the field really well and can make very quick cuts. I don't know about his top-end speed in the open field, but I'd certainly say "fast enough." Quick feet. Good balance. He has really great hands coming out of the backfield. He blocks exceptionally well, saving Jonathon's butt many a time. He has a real nose for the end-zone too. 9th all-time rusher at Oregon, 5th all-time in rushing TDs.

The bonus is that he is an exceptional team player. The complete back. Unselfish, appears to love playing here, a leader, and great with fans. We're lucky to have Jeremiah on our team and I would not trade him for any other running back in this league. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Agreed. This fan has had much praise for JJ24 in his time here. Andrew Harris is one of my all time favourites, but in his absence, JJ24 has filled the void very, very well.

Very exciting runner. Reads the action. Finds the hole. Cuts on a dime. Very hard to bring down. Catches well. Nose for the end zone. Very upbeat. Incredible condition. Reminds me of Walter Payton in that regard. As sturdy as a Tonka Toy, they used to say.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

His size and running ability reminds me of John Henry White.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I have always wondered why the Redblacks let him go. :dizzy:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As a former Oregon Duck I wonder if the black and orange colours of the OSU Beavers are starting to grow on him yet? I know he was struggling to get his head around that when he signed last year. Lol
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

My initial thoughts on this topic were that Johnson is a more dynamic and productive rusher and Harris is a more dangerous and productive receiver. Their stats seem to bear that out, although it's encouraging that Johnson already has 11 receptions in three games this year. He had only 12 receptions in 11 games last year.

It's early in 2017 and Harris has played only two games but while he has more touches per game than Johnson (18.5 to 15.3), it's Johnson who has more yardage per game (138 to 98) and a higher average gain per touch (9.0 to 5.3).

Overall the career stats of the two players, on a yards-per-game and yards-per-touch basis, are strikingly similar. Here is the breakdown:

Johnson (34 career games)
12.1 touches per game
73.0 yards per game
6.0 yards per touch

Harris (119 career games)
11.7 touches per game
73.1 yards per game
6.3 yards per touch

Given that Harris is a national and has established his track record over a longer career, I'd have to choose him over Johnson if I were to pick one of the two as my running back. But if Johnson can maintain his pace for the rest of this season, he might prove to be more productive overall.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

liked JJ since I first saw him. find it hard to believe that Ottawa let him go.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:42 pm
Be honest. Did anyone believe when we signed Jeremiah Johnson that he'd be as good as he is?
Well, I know it isn't cool to quote one's self but hey, it will probably be my only chance to toot my own horn.

"Also very glad to see an offer tendered to Jeremiah Johnson (at least according to Farhan Lalji). I think he is amongst the most underrated backs in the league..."

"I was pleasantly surprised when the Lions picked up Johnson in free agency; I thought he was amongst the best backs in the league when he went down to injury last year. But I guess for some teams, that injury made signing him a risk. Despite that, I felt he elevated the RedBlacks when he played...I love how he gets small at the line, accelerates into the gaps and then runs large when he hits the next level. Plus he seems like a guy who brings good energy to the club and his team-mates."

"Johnson is more than capable of 1,000+ yards in a season."

JJ24 is the man.
David
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:59 am

Well, I know it isn't cool to quote one's self but hey, it will probably be my only chance to toot my own horn.

"Also very glad to see an offer tendered to Jeremiah Johnson (at least according to Farhan Lalji). I think he is amongst the most underrated backs in the league..."

"I was pleasantly surprised when the Lions picked up Johnson in free agency; I thought he was amongst the best backs in the league when he went down to injury last year. But I guess for some teams, that injury made signing him a risk. Despite that, I felt he elevated the RedBlacks when he played...I love how he gets small at the line, accelerates into the gaps and then runs large when he hits the next level. Plus he seems like a guy who brings good energy to the club and his team-mates."

"Johnson is more than capable of 1,000+ yards in a season."
Great call, CK. Take a bow. :good:

We're promoting you to chief scout on Lionbackers. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 pm
My initial thoughts on this topic were that Johnson is a more dynamic and productive rusher and Harris is a more dangerous and productive receiver. Their stats seem to bear that out, although it's encouraging that Johnson already has 11 receptions in three games this year. He had only 12 receptions in 11 games last year.

It's early in 2017 and Harris has played only two games but while he has more touches per game than Johnson (18.5 to 15.3), it's Johnson who has more yardage per game (138 to 98) and a higher average gain per touch (9.0 to 5.3).

Overall the career stats of the two players, on a yards-per-game and yards-per-touch basis, are strikingly similar. Here is the breakdown:

Johnson (34 career games)
12.1 touches per game
73.0 yards per game
6.0 yards per touch

Harris (119 career games)
11.7 touches per game
73.1 yards per game
6.3 yards per touch

Given that Harris is a national and has established his track record over a longer career, I'd have to choose him over Johnson if I were to pick one of the two as my running back. But if Johnson can maintain his pace for the rest of this season, he might prove to be more productive overall.
Couldn't agree more B.C. Fan regarding Harris and Johnson. But right now, this present moment, I would choose Johnson, now that we are also using him as a receiver.

Why did it take us 18 games in a B.C. Lion uniform to begin using Johnson as a receiver out of the backfield? Its a good question.

As for Johnson, before he became a B.C. Lion, he began his career in Toronto, at the start of 2014. He only started 5 games and was cut towards the end of August of that season and picked up by Ottawa. Johnson would start 5 games for the Redblacks in 2014 but he was beat out by Chevron Walker for the starting tailback spot in Ottawa to begin the 2015 season.

Ottawa cut Walker after 10 games and Johnson got 6 starts before dislocating his foot. While Johnson had 9 rushing touchdowns playing 6 games for Ottawa in 2015, Johnson did not blow anyone out of the water - he carried the football 97 carries for 448 yards (4.6 average).

However, one stat should have stood out in Johnson's 2015 stint with Ottawa. He had 42 receptions in 6 games...a reception for almost every two carries. Yet we rarely used Johnson as a receiver last season.

Finally, we are starting to make Johnson an integral part of our passing attack. About time.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)