CFL Games of Week 3, July 6 - July 9

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BC @ MTL Pressure defence from Thorpe, I wonder if Phillips stays the heck away from Durant pregame. :wink: How will Dan D's troops handle the blitz? No call, just watching with interest. We have loads of weapons on O, a talented secondary, Solomon, and a seemingly rejuvenated D Line. Passive D? Yes.

CGY @ WPG Take CGY. WPG does not have the weapons IMO.

TOR @ OTT Take OTT. They will probably mix it up vs Ray. Steady diet = no good. Harris :thup:

HAM @ SSK Will SSK win one? Strange to see the decline of Austin's team. I have speculated about a possible best before date on him. Plus he has not exactly shown a propensity to stay in one place -- restlessness? Does not inspire loyalty? Dunno ... No call.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

"How will Dan D's troops handle the blitz?" you ask WCJ. Well, along with that and handling other aspects -- it seems the Leos are considering a change in personal, at least if today's practice reps are any indication. First team reps have gone to Vallaincourt (over Fabien) according to a passing comment in Helberg's interesting article on our French Canadian guys.
https://www.bclions.com/2017/07/04/fren ... goes-home/
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Defensive struggle between the Bombers and Stampeders. Calgary leading 12-10 in the 3rd quarter.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Stampeders extend the lead to 9 points on an interception return. 4th Bomber turnover of the game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Winnipeg's defence is playing well. The Calgary offence isn't sharp. Turnovers and penalties are the difference.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ottawa was in control with a 12-1 lead when an errant snap resulted in a Toronto touchdown. Momentum shifted as the Argos go on to 26-25 win. RedBlacks had an opportunity to tie the game but the convert was unsuccessful when Drew Tate bobbled the snap. Ottawa missed a 59 field goal on the last play of the game.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Screenshot_2017-07-08-19-19-43.png
Day at the office for Ray and Harris. These numbers, once considered huge in the CFL, are almost a norm now.

Huge day for Green and Ellingson.

Offence sells tickets.

Defence wins championships.

Not really a Drew Tate fan. Good on him.

RedBlacks probably still best in the East.

Don't mind seeing Trestman, Ray and the Argos win.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hamilton is not a good defensive team under Jeff Reinebold. If you're going to blitz with 8 guys, you'd better be able to get to the QB or cover in the secondary. They can't do either. They gave up over 500 yards passing to Ricky Ray in Week 1 and they've given up over 250 yards offence to Saskatchewan in the first half tonight. I'm sticking with my prediction that the Ticats will finish last in the Esst.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton very undisciplined. Has over 167 yards in penalties including a player ejected for abusing an official.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Kevin Glenn finished 32 of 43 (74.4%) for 380 yards. Saskatchewan outgained Hamilton 474 yards to 216. Only a 110-yard pick-6 thrown by Glenn made the score seem somewhat respectable for the Ticats.

Kent Austin will be even angrier than usual when he faces the Lions next week as coach of the only winless team in the league. The B.C. offence, like Toronto's and Saskatchewan's, will light up that Hamilton secondary unless the Ticats change their scheme.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:13 pm
Kevin Glenn finished 32 of 43 (74.4%) and 380 yards. Saskatchewan outgained Hamilton 474 yards to 216. Only a 110-yard pick-6 thrown by Glenn made the score seem somewhat respectable for the Ticats.

Kent Austin will be even angrier than usual when he faces the Lions next week as coach of the only winless team in the league. The B.C. offence, like Toronto's and Saskatchewan's, will light up that Hamilton secondary unless the Ticats change their scheme.
OTT at 0-2-1 is also still looking for their first win. They sure snatched defeat from the jaws of victory tonight. The Argos with their first half undisciplined play were very lucky to turn it around with halftime adjustments.

Like last year, the East is another Race to the Bottom.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

For a while, Kent Austin seemed like a superb Head Coach. Grey Cup champion with the Riders. Finalist two more years.

Now? Not so much. As I have noted a few times, one wonders if he has a best before date. He is intense. Bumped an opposing player. He seems to show contempt at times for reporters. He seemed to prevent Steinauer from leaving at one time. He does not seem to have shown much loyalty to any team. He tends to move on.

Whatever ... This CFL fan is concerned about the long term health of the Hamilton franchise, and, indeed, of the league itself. I would be happier if the TiCats were competitive.

Never really been a fan of Eric Tillman, but that is another story.

So Jones and the Riders win one.

The TiCats look like they have tuned out Austin. No offence. No defence. Too many penalties. Can't see Austin sticking around for long in a mess for which he is the chief architect.

I liked his work with the Riders, and his early success with the TiCats.

Just IMO ...

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:24 pm
I've never been a fan of Tillman, Jones or Austin. I couldn't believe I was pulling for a Jones-led West Division team against an Austin led East Division team but there is just nothing likable about Austin. I get the sense his players don't like him either. I hope his misery continues for at least one more week.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:39 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:24 pm
I've never been a fan of Tillman, Jones or Austin. I couldn't believe I was pulling for a Jones-led West Division team against an Austin led East Division team but there is just nothing likable about Austin. I get the sense his players don't like him either. I hope his misery continues for at least one more week.
Even when Austin is on good behaviour, it seems unnatural to him. Just barely tolerates some questions from reporters. His face shows contempt quite readily. Forces a smile. Knows his stuff though. Good in the short term.

Jones. Didn't like the not shaking hands. Does not seem to respect any culture that preceded him. He might still turn around the team in Regina, if they do not lose patience with him. Seems like a solid guy though.

Tillman. Smarmy manner. Legal issue in Regina. 'Nuff said.

Got some opinions? Oh yeah ... LOL Just IMO ...