Should Lions sign Jacob Ruby?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Ruby is a former Als 1st round pick at OT and with the loss of Lions 2nd rounder, Zver to the Riders, Lions do have room on the PR and are thin at backup Oline guys.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Losing Zver they have to be looking at adding somebody ASAP. Conveniently Wally and the Lions are in Montreal right now. I chatted with Neil McEvoy briefly last night as he, Reichelt, Baker and a couple others I didn't recognize were having a bite at Winnie's. I wasn't aware of Ruby being released so didn't ask if there was interest. For Ruby I guess it would depend on what opportunities are offered. Situation would be important ergo wherever gives him the best chance to play soon.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
squishy35
Legend

If they have cap room then.... yes. More NI depth behind Vallaincourt is essential.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

No. Please no. The Als were patient with Ruby but they couldn't develop him. He couldn't move his feet.

Montreal gave up a league-high 60 sacks through 16 games last year (an average of 4 per game) before Jacques Chapdelaine took Ruby out of the lineup. The Lions had 9 sacks in their two victories against the Als. This year, with Ruby out of the lineup, the Als are the only team that hasn't given up any sacks in the first two games. Coincidence? I think not.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:00 am
No. Please no. The Als were patient with Ruby but they couldn't develop him. He couldn't move his feet.

Montreal gave up a league-high 60 sacks through 16 games last year (an average of 4 per game) before Jacques Chapdelaine took Ruby out of the lineup. The Lions had 9 sacks in their two victories against the Als. This year, with Ruby out of the lineup, the Als are the only team that hasn't given up any sacks in the first two games. Coincidence? I think not.
One also has to consider the Montreal QBs last year. Kevin Glenn who won't run even with a gun pointed to his head and a 10 yard head start; and Cato and Adams who do what young QBs do, run around hoping something will happen until they get sacked. This year they've upgraded with JO and Durant is a much more difficult QB to sack than last year's group. Durant is difficult to bring down even if you have a grasp in him and doesn't hesitate to make the decision to run or get rid of the ball. There is no coincidence that the new OL
Is leading to fewer sacks but I think it's equally no coincidence that the change behind centre is also a big factor.

As for Ruby himself it's hard to guess what happened there. As a rookie in 2015 he only played 3 games starting 1. I don't recall if injuries played a part in that. Then last year he was thrust into the starting LT spot right out of the gate. Was he truly ready with so little experience or was Popp forcing it on him as the guy who drafted him and was now HC?

As a fan it seems like a good idea to take a look given there are empty spots on the PR but I'll defer to Wally, Neil, Geroy and the likes to make that call.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I agree that Ruby was probably starting for the Als before he was ready. Now that they are going with 2 INT tackles on O, having Ruby as a not yet ready OT doesn't really fit the Als plans any longer.

But being a PR guy for the Lions might be a good fit. He could attend tonight's game and then after the game, fly to Vancouver with the team.
CardiacKid
Legend

Whether or not Ruby is worth considering as a potential Leo, I think we can all agree the Lion's need to address their lack of O-Line depth. Unfortunately 2 guys who could have been part of that solution have been pried away from us.
David
Team Captain

I'm confused. In the first two games, the O-line opened Grand Canyon sized holes for the running game, but couldn't pass protect to save JJ's life. Last night you couldn't squeeze a nickel through the gaps, but they put on a sublime performance against a stout Montreal D-line keeping JJ upright. :popcorn:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:11 pm
I'm confused. In the first two games, the O-line opened Grand Canyon sized holes for the running game, but couldn't pass protect to save JJ's life. Last night you couldn't squeeze a nickel through the gaps, but they put on a sublime performance against a stout Montreal D-line keeping JJ upright. :popcorn:

DH :cool:
Montreal linebackers Dominique Tovell and Kyries Hebert were cheating on the run and plugging up running lanes. Tovell had 10 tackles and Hebert had 7. The Als don't seem to have missed a beat by releasing Bear Woods.

The Lions countered Montreal's linebacker play by using Jeremiah Johnson effectively as a receiver. He had 102 yards from scrimmage, including 68 receiving yards, and scored two TDs. It was a tough battle of two good defences but the Lions found a way to exploit the Montreal defence.

I thought both teams did a good job of pressuring the opposing QB, despite a lack of sacks. Both teams were credited with 6 QB pressures. The Als recorded the only sack but it was probably because Jennings pulled the ball down and tried to run.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It might be too early to write off the CFL career of Jacob Ruby. Size. Yup. Experience at the college level. Yup. Pro experience. Yup. Success at the college level. Huge success and draft awareness. The Lions saw no hope for Justin Sorensen. One hopes that Dan Dorazio saw his true potential, but that he felt he was still too far away from being able to contribute.

Sometimes it takes a while.

Sometimes an athlete can lose confidence. Ummm ... We have seen that. Over-coaching happens quite a lot.

If one of our guys gets nicked, Ruby is a possibility. With his resume, I expect his time in the CFL is not finished. Unless he calls it a day himself.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend