Lions at Alouettes July 6, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions and Alouettes kick off Week 3 of the CFL season Thursday in Montreal. It's the second game of a long road trip. They've spent the past few days in Kingston, Ont. to cut down on travel time and to keep their bodies on Eastern time. By most accounts, it's been a productive and fun trip for the players.

Not surprisingly, given the fact it's a short week and they're on the road, the Lions have made no changes to their starting lineup. David Foucault and Kirby Fabien are still the starting guards and Antonio Johnson remains at RT, with Kelvin Palmer extended on the one-game injured list.

The only changes to the 46-man roster are the addition of Andrew Hudson is as a 10th defensive lineman and the removal of backup FB Dakota Brush, who moves to the practice roster.

The Alouette roster features a number of ex-Lions who will probably be pumped up to play their former team, including LT Jovan Olafioye, DB Ryan Phillips, DT Jabar Westerman, WR Ernest Jackson and RB/KR Stefan Logan. The Als also signed former Lion Brandon Stewart after suffering injuries in their secondary but it's not known yet whether he will be activated.

I'll have to set the PVR for the 4:30 kickoff but I'm looking forward to watching it later.

Here's the Lions depth chart and roster.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I hope Vallincourt gets some playing time especially if there continues to be problems on the right side of the line.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would really be nice if the Lions don't wait til the 4th quarter to score a major.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

That is what we will be all looking for. A good start out of the gate and a solid 4 quarters. This is one of those games where you are really expected to win. I'm sure that the Al's will play hard but they are at the rebuilding stage and basically getting along with many players who are a bit long in the tooth. If we really are as good as we seem to think we are, then it should be a fairly solid win. If we fiddle around and let them hang round, then there is enough experience there that can make us pay big time.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Business as usual for Jacques Chapdelaine? Yes and no. In the CFL there are interconnections everywhere. It seems like most players and coaches have been with other CFL teams.

This fan has always had a hunch that Jacques would do well as a head coach. He did well at Laval.

I don't think the Alouettes have great talent, but they will be well prepped on O and D. Durant has had success vs the Lions. Thorpe runs an attack style of defence.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 pm
This is one of those games where you are really expected to win. I'm sure that the Al's will play hard but they are at the rebuilding stage and basically getting along with many players who are a bit long in the tooth. If we really are as good as we seem to think we are, then it should be a fairly solid win. If we fiddle around and let them hang round, then there is enough experience there that can make us pay big time.
I don't view this as a 'gimme' game at all. The Als nearly walked out of Commonwealth last week with a victory against a very good Esks team. Plus they will have a lot of players 'up' for this game. Even ones that haven't played for us. I recall a lot of chirping between Kyries Hebert and Manny last year (cue the mock flying 'bird' gesture in the end-zone).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

There are no "gimmes". If there were, there would be no point in playing the game. However, on balance, if the Lions play up to "potential", there is every reason to think that they can and should win this game. The caveat is in the "if". I expect the Als to play hard, if the Lion's show up with a "we'll play at some point" attitude, then it could easily be a loss.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm enjoying all the rivalry stories with ex-teammates facing each other and B.C.'s native Montrealers returning home to play in front of friends and family.

Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette had a good story on Ryan Phillips' determination to show the Lions they made a mistake in letting him go.
I want to go out there and prove I was the best transaction the Montreal Alouettes made.

“I’m going to do what I normally do, make sure I put myself in position to make plays.”

In other words, don’t make himself bigger than the moment by taking himself out of position in an attempt to make a highlight-reel play, just to make a point.

But Phillips quickly stated: “If I get a little bit more edge to show them they made a mistake, I’ll go ahead and take that, too.”
Alouettes cornerback Ryan Phillips admits B.C. game has extra meaning
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jacques Chapedlaine credit to Wally and Mark Washington for coming up with specific games plans to defend against each opponent.
Now Durant will go up against a B.C. defence that stuffed Toronto's Ricky Ray in a 28-15 win last Friday, a week after Ray threw for more than 500 yards against Hamilton.

Montreal coach Jacques Chapdelaine, a former Lions offensive co-ordinator, gave much of the credit for that to B.C. coach Wally Buono and defensive co-ordinator Mark Washington.

"One thing they will do is come up with something specific to counter whatever you do offensively," said Chapdelaine. "Against Toronto, they basically tripled (receiver) S.J. Green and they did a good job of it.

"They played a different kind of man coverage against Toronto than they did against (Edmonton). They've got to face Darian Durant and he's a different quarterback than Ricky is. And we also put more emphasis on the run game, so that will fall into the equation."
Alouettes QB Durant looks to get offence moving against tough B.C. defence

Like Ricky Ray and Mike Reilly, Darian Durant throws a good deep ball but he can get frustrated if pressured and forced to go through his progressions. Wally doesn't care about sacks but he always wants to get pressure on the opposing QB. The Lions had 10 QB pressures last week. If they can do that this week, they should be able to shut Durant down.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/duran ... story.html
Now Durant will go up against a B.C. defence that stuffed Toronto's Ricky Ray in a 28-15 win last Friday, a week after Ray threw for more than 500 yards against Hamilton.
Ray had 327 yards passing. ''Stuffed''? Hardly. But keeping Ray to around 300 gives your team a chance.

Toronto only had 22 yards rushing, however.
Montreal coach Jacques Chapdelaine, a former Lions offensive co-ordinator, gave much of the credit for that to B.C. coach Wally Buono and defensive co-ordinator Mark Washington.

"One thing they will do is come up with something specific to counter whatever you do offensively," said Chapdelaine. "Against Toronto, they basically tripled (receiver) S.J. Green and they did a good job of it.
Good. Detailed planning is essential these days.
"They played a different kind of man coverage against Toronto than they did against (Edmonton). They've got to face Darian Durant and he's a different quarterback than Ricky is. And we also put more emphasis on the run game, so that will fall into the equation."
Different prep for different offences. And, as JC notes, Montreal will have more of an emphasis on the run game.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos offence has struggled to score points until the fourth quarter of both games so far this season and it will catch up to them if they continue with this pattern. Our only touchdowns this season have been scored in the fourth quarter.

The win over the Argos wasn’t pretty — Jennings was sacked four times, intercepted once and he also fumbled in the first quarter, as he was sacked, pressured, and hit all game.

Our Leos lead the CFL in rushing so far this season, as they continue with last season's successful running attack. However, our passing numbers are not great, mostly due to the league leading 9 sacks we've given up. Jennings has been under constant pressure.

Meanwhile, Jovan Olifioye anchors a Montreal offensive line that has not allowed Durrant to be sacked so far this season.

Jeremiah Johnson has a 7.0 run average and leads the CFL in rushing but Montreal's Sutton is right behind him in yards and yards per carry (6.2 yds). Our Leos and the Als are one/two in rushing yards so far this season.

Bryan Burnham leads our receiving corps while B.J. Cunningham has been Durrant's go to guy so far this season.

A big difference between the two teams going into this contest is that our Leos have averaged 94 yards more per game passing than the Als as Durrant has averaged less than 200 yards per game passing.

Montreal's defence only has one sack so far this season but they have played well, as they usually do for Noel Thorpe.

This game pits two teams with solid running attacks but with less than stellar passing attacks so far, and two different styles of defense with our Leos using a lot of defensive linemen to get pressure on the quarterback while the Als like to play a more aggressive style, often utilizing linebacker blitzes.

The Als have given up the least amount of points on defense of any CFL team so far this season,

Our Leos have the edge in passing and the Als have the edge on defence going into this contest. Montreal will be missing a number of starters from their secondary for this game. Our Leos only change is to activate Hudson and remove Dakota Brush from the 46 game roster.

Should be a good weather, weekday summer evening game in Montreal.

Go Leos!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

An excerpt from the Vancouver Sun as Wally talks about Facault, as Facault prepares to face the team that drafted him.
During the Lions’ training camp in Kamloops, Buono was chatting with a reporter when he pointed to Foucault and said: “I like that kid because he’s from Montreal and he’s a tough guy.”Buono was reminded of that this week.“If he was Italian I’d like him even more,” he answered.
Now, if Marco Iannuzzi was really wise, he would change his name to Marco Moreau, and then he would become our 'go to' receiver. LOL
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
JaboVancouver
Rookie

Best part of this game will be the line battle with the Als O Line and the Lions D line. It's not glamorous but should be fun to watch.

justabitoutside.podbean.com
Just A Bit Outside: The Premier Vancouver Sports Podcast
justabitoutside.podbean.com