Riders sign Zver

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

https://www.riderville.com/2017/07/04/r ... remy-zver/

I guess Wally had no room for Zver on the 46 man roster.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A Regina native goes home. He may have a better chance of getting on the roster in Saskatchewan.

According to Justin Dunk of 3downnation.com, Zver declined a spot on the practice roster.
Saskatchewan has nabbed offensive lineman Jeremy Zver after he declined a practice roster spot with B.C.

Zver was a second round, 16th overall pick in the 2017 CFL draft by the Lions. After spending the first week of the season on B.C.’s injured list, the Leos wanted to send Zver down to their practice roster, but he declined which made him a free agent. The Riders jumped at the chance to sign a local product with great athleticism for his size – dual-sport athlete at the University of Regina – to a three-year contract.

“It’s annoying because you draft a prospect and they need to be developed over a couple years, but you can’t even let the kid reach his potential because he’ll get poached,” a CFL scout says.

Last June a similar situation played out with offensive lineman Dillon Guy and defensive lineman Ese Mrabure turning down practice roster offers from B.C. and making their way to the prairies.
Regina native Jeremy Zver declines Lions PR offer, signs with Riders
DanoT
Hall of Famer

With Vandervoort, Luke, and Herdman all making the team from this years draft and Vaillencourt and Thompson from last year, plus Ainsworth signing as a free agent, and the addition of Foucault, that is a lot of new young NAT. talent so I guess it is no surprise that there is no roster spot for Zver.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Saskatchewan is snapping up Lion cuts
CardiacKid
Legend

Well, that is kinda sh*tty....

I appreciate the guy wanting to play and earn extra $. But it is frustrating as hell when a team that has done an absolutely atrocious job with their National roster goes and starts ripping off players from other teams that at least have made "honest" strides in working on building depth.

I understand it is entirely legit as according to current rules but when a team has completely gutted their roster without a feasible plan (like the Riders) it pisses me off that they can go around cherry-picking players. Especially when said team has shown no compunction when it comes to cheating in regards to stashing and hiding players in an egregious fashion.

I am glad they lost their home opener.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From the video I really liked Zver. This is no surprise. I think Zver could be a really good one. Jones and his staff obviously agree with that assessment. I think we might regret letting him slip through our fingers.

Strong. Mobile. Size. Athletic. I think we had to keep him. Was there a way to keep him? Oh yes. More than one.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCPPOsNrFpPjGuYdp9j7NXrQ
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Of course we could have kept Zver.

Its roster management.

Would you have kept Ainsworth, Bucknor, Adrain Clarke, Jas Dhillon, or Herdman (who will likely never see the field except on special teams) over Zver, a second round draft choice with great potential, when we don't have great depth at backup offensive line other than Vaillencourt?

I wouldn't have.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Roster management is as much about special teams as it is about backing up starters. Zver wasn't ready to play on the O-line this year, even in an emergency. And O-linemen don't make good special teamers. The Lions keep two backup O-linemen on the 46-man roster, which is more than some teams do. The have 10 backup D-linemen and linebackers. They are all special teamers.

The only way the Lions could have kept Zver would have been been to keep him on the injured list, and the Lions are already carrying more players on the one-game list than they have in past.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think Zver is cutting off his nose to spite his face. BC starts 4 NATs on the OL with Vaillancourt and Dhillon being the backups on the 46. Zver was next man up to be activated if one of those 6 get hurt. So he bails on that to join the Riders who start only 3 NATS. I see Zver is currently active but that's likely only until they turn in their game roster. For now though he becomes one of 3 backup NATs a list which also includes last year's 1st overall Joshua St. John and Dariusz Bladek who was taken before Zver. They already have 3 NAT OL + offseason FA signing Ryan White either stashed on the 1G IR, suspended list or PR.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Whenever I head over to Riderville.com to take a gander at the shape of their roster, I come away confused. What are the prescribed limits on CFL rosters and in particular practice rosters? Because right now the numbers don't match between the 2 teams.

The Lions list a grand total of 61 bodies on the team roster, the Riders list a grand total of 70. At the moment I post this question, the Riders have 15 guys on their PR. The Lions have 8.

:rules: ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:48 am
Whenever I head over to Riderville.com to take a gander at the shape of their roster, I come away confused. What are the prescribed limits on CFL rosters and in particular practice rosters? Because right now the numbers don't match between the 2 teams.

The Lions list a grand total of 61 bodies on the team roster, the Riders list a grand total of 70. At the moment I post this question, the Riders have 15 guys on their PR. The Lions have 8.

Teams are allowed 46 players on the active roster and 10 on the practice roster. That's what they declared for their game last Saturday against Winnipeg. They also listed 5 players on the 1-game injured list, 4 players on the 6-game list and 1 on the disabled list, for a total of 66. They don't have to update their official roster until Friday, 24 hours before their next game against Hamilton.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:

AFAIK the number is 10 for the practice roster, then it expands (to ??) in September to coincide with NFL cuts.

Since there is no limit to the number of injuries a team can have there is no limit to the number of players on either the 1 or 6 game Injured list.

As far as Zver goes, he probably had some pressure from family to come home and join the Riders PR instead of the Lions PR. But as Hambone mentioned, there are a lot of guys who are ahead of Zver on the Rider roster including another former Lion draftee, Dillon Guy.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:

Riders do have 2 CJFL players on the PR. They are allowed to practice with the club but don't count, much like Andrew Harris and that DL whose name escapes me. Technically they are 3 over in the PR but also 1 under the 46 limit. Riderville roster always seems to be out of whack mid-week. I don't know if it's the CFL or the Riders who control the updates but they always seem slow.Shoild be some changes once they turn in their next game roster.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
green road kill
Rookie

THE PUTZ is trolling for scraps, what else is knew. 5800 scouts 17500 mini camps and this is what it comes to. Some may think him a genius but no thanks ,I'l keep WALLY
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:59 am
CardiacKid wrote:

Teams are allowed 46 players on the active roster and 10 on the practice roster. That's what they declared for their game last Saturday against Winnipeg. They also listed 5 players on the 1-game injured list, 4 players on the 6-game list and 1 on the disabled list, for a total of 66. They don't have to update their official roster until Friday, 24 hours before their next game against Hamilton.
So if what is currently listed on their website stays in place as their official roster on Friday, that is a no-no. But the following week they can revert to 10+ guys on the PR like they do now....or play a game with numbers like they did last year.
Whacky... :hypno: :dizzy:
Hope Randy Ambrosie possesses a degree of healthy scepticism.

Edit: I see Jacob Ruby was released by Montreal. He had a rough-ish 2016 but he did start all 18 games at tackle after being a 2015 first-rounder. Maybe rushed into playing tackle before being ready, perhaps an option for some depth in BC? Just musing out loud.
I also see Jones has released Jonathon Newsome, Davis Tull along with Pettway; 3 members of the Rider DLine. Newsome was a big name signing with a substantial NFL pedigree but Jones hinted that maybe he had bit of an opinion/attitude problem. Surprised Tull was released as he had a great game against us in the pre-season. And Duron Carter made the news but for the wrong reasons (why else?) as he got fined for reckless face masking (my word).