2017 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:09 am
The CFL has a new streaming service and the packages look very reasonably priced as you can buy it game by game at US$2.99 or a team at $36.99 or the entire package at $79.99.

This will no doubt help US and other country viewers big time. Not available in Canada I don't think unless somehow you get by the VPN...but I have no idea on that.

http://intl.cfl.ca/

The BC part of the story is that this is by a firm started by Hugh Dobbie - local entrepreneur who's wanting to stream college sports as well:

http://www.sfu.ca/sfunews/stories/2017/ ... versi.html
The streaming service is only available outside the U.S., Caribbean and other area serviced by ESPN. That means Canadians traveling in the U.S. will still have trouble getting games unless they have a U.S. cable company subscription that will allow them to view the ESPN3 stream.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 am

The streaming service is only available outside the U.S., Caribbean and other area serviced by ESPN. That means Canadians traveling in the U.S. will still have trouble getting games unless they have a U.S. cable company subscription that will allow them to view the ESPN3 stream.
That or a satellite subscription, which I have and comes in handy now and then.
David
Team Captain

To the Lions' credit they're hyping Saturday's game against the Esks. Full page (outside cover) with "Who Is Jonathon Jennings in today's Province." That is outside cover as in before any news headlines. Just the mast and Jennings. Then turn the page and it's another full page with details on the game (opponent, kid's pricing etc.). This must be pretty big $$$. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 pm
To the Lions' credit they're hyping Saturday's game against the Esks. Full page (outside cover) with "Who Is Jonathon Jennings in today's Province." That is outside cover as in before any news headlines. Just the mast and Jennings. Then turn the page and it's another full page with details on the game (opponent, kid's pricing etc.). This must be pretty big $$$. :thup:

Yes, I've been impressed with the promotion for this game in print, radio, TV and social media, bolstered by CFL season previews on TSN, local TV and radio coverage and an eight-page Blitz section in Wednesday's Province.

I just hope for the sake of the club's advertising campaign that's the next game really does tell casual fans who Jonathon Jennings, Manny Arceneaux, Solomon Elimimian and their teammates are.
prj
Starter

Not available in the USA.

Great concept.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

prj wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Great concept.
I guess it's due to ESPN so travelers as noted are screwed.

I can't quite grasp why someone in Canada who might not have a TSN subscription who is at work in a remote camp can't access the packages here in Canada. If it's the entire TSN feed and half time etc, wouldn't they get the freaking commercials anyway? In fact if you are at work or on a remote work location or simply traveling why can't you pay per game regardless??

Makes little sense in this day and age.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:11 pm
prj wrote:

Great concept.

I can't quite grasp why someone in Canada who might not have a TSN subscription who is at work in a remote camp can't access the packages here in Canada. If it's the entire TSN feed and half time etc, wouldn't they get the freaking commercials anyway? In fact if you are at work or on a remote work location or simply traveling why can't you pay per game regardless??

You can in a fashion if you have a laptop or device with an internet connection. Pretty much any camp now has some form of Wi-Fi. As a Shaw customer I can go into Shaw.ca and log into their Free Range TV to access live programming. I haven't tried for a couple years but used to be able to go into TSN's website and access streaming of games through a variety of providers, in my case I could use my Shaw ID and password.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was able to watch a pre season game via this site:
http://goatd.net/#

It was the game that was broadcast on TSN 2, but since I only get TSN 1, the above website worked pretty well.
mountaincat
Rookie

that site and firstrowca.eu (under "am. football") are usually quite reliable. just make sure you have your adblocker and popup blockers locked in, and even then you might have to close an empty box or two that would otherwise be spamming the crap out of you while you wait for the stream to load.
David
Team Captain

James Cybulski, who's a huge CFL fan and a news reporter with radio station NEWS1130, did a story today on the Leos' $5 promotion,* interviewing Chayka who said they're trying to remove the excuses to not come to games, adding that they are bringing back the 7-11 promotion next week.

Seating charts look soft for tonight's game. I'd say only about 16-17K tickets have been sold. This sunny, warm weather is not helping with all the excuses that Chayka referred to. Not when they sealed the place shut last week like an Egyptian tomb. Considering the first game against Calgary last year (6/25/16) drew 21,386 coming off a sub-par 2015 season, this is definitely a step back coming off a 12-6 campaign.

* what I refer to as their "High Five" promotion, 5 games this summer are only $5 each for kids. I would have created extra incentive for pre-selling those 5 games, but offering a BONUS youth jersey for pre-purchasing all 5 games. Sounds rich for $25 but you're also likely getting the parents' money too.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:09 am
The CFL has a new streaming service and the packages look very reasonably priced as you can buy it game by game at US$2.99 or a team at $36.99 or the entire package at $79.99.

This will no doubt help US and other country viewers big time. Not available in Canada I don't think unless somehow you get by the VPN...but I have no idea on that.

http://intl.cfl.ca/

The BC part of the story is that this is by a firm started by Hugh Dobbie - local entrepreneur who's wanting to stream college sports as well:

http://www.sfu.ca/sfunews/stories/2017/ ... versi.html
Unless you live in Europe (UK not included), Russia, or parts of Africa, this CFL streaming service is unavailable. Basically anywhere you might actually find CFL or football fans in general, you can't subscribe.

Only way this guy will go out of business faster would be if he partnered with the Gleiberrmans.

Stick with the pirated websites. Cheaper and not geo-blocked.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

In all my years of going to games at BC Place I never recall a crowd being so evenly dispersed in the lower bowl configuration. I'm guessing the 2 or 3 home side midfield sections (we sit in 241) were full with ST holders like they always are but the rest of the crowd was really spread out.

No coincidence the $5 kids deal is only for corner and end zone seats only and that was evident. But large chunks of empty $92 seats on the visitors side — a true sign of their season ticket erosion over the last several years. Our old section 212 — which is on the cusp of the top category — was probably at least 50 percent unoccupied.

An absolutely horrific job on video screen replays last night — especially on challenge plays. They need to think more about the fan experience rather than is it assisting the visiting team's coaching staff. The long pass play to Williams that initially was ruled incomplete wasn't shown until well after the call was over turned.
The PI on Nick Moore in 4th quarter was never shown even though the Esks had already used their challenge on the Fenner fumble recovery.

Again, why go to the games when viewers at home are getting a way better idea what is happening and saving a ton of money to boot.
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:39 am
In all my years of going to games at BC Place I never recall a crowd being so evenly dispersed in the lower bowl configuration. I'm guessing the 2 or 3 home side midfield sections (we sit in 241) were full with ST holders like they always are but the rest of the crowd was really spread out.

No coincidence the $5 kids deal is only for corner and end zone seats only and that was evident. But large chunks of empty $92 seats on the visitors side — a true sign of their season ticket erosion over the last several years. Our old section 212 — which is on the cusp of the top category — was probably at least 50 percent unoccupied.

An absolutely horrific job on video screen replays last night — especially on challenge plays. They need to think more about the fan experience rather than is it assisting the visiting team's coaching staff. The long pass play to Williams that initially was ruled incomplete wasn't shown until well after the call was over turned.
The PI on Nick Moore in 4th quarter was never shown even though the Esks had already used their challenge on the Fenner fumble recovery.

Again, why go to the games when viewers at home are getting a way better idea what is happening and saving a ton of money to boot.
agree with all of this.

replays in building have to be more and better than tv, or why even go.

240s seem the same but definately the 210s are way less. People in those sections 10 section plus club, basically pay the bills for the Lions. The Lions need to increase the season ticket discount next year big time to encourage highend season ticket buyers again.
Last edited by Qman on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:38 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:11 pm
prj wrote:

Great concept.

You can in a fashion if you have a laptop or device with an internet connection. Pretty much any camp now has some form of Wi-Fi. As a Shaw customer I can go into Shaw.ca and log into their Free Range TV to access live programming. I haven't tried for a couple years but used to be able to go into TSN's website and access streaming of games through a variety of providers, in my case I could use my Shaw ID and password.
free range tv works great for lions games, watched a game while camping last year
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:39 am
I believe league rules prohibit showing video replays on the big screen during a review. I thought the Lions got away with showing more than they were allowed last night. In-stadium replays will never match TSN's production, which has more camera angles and the benefit of stop-action and on-air commentators.

I noticed there were no on-field pyrotechnics during the player introductions and no on-field announcer. The stadium atmosphere was pretty flat, and that wasn't helped by the Lions' performance for most of the night. It was nice to see lots of kids parents, and an overall younger demographic. That's the way to get people in the building in summer, when many regulars are away.