Johnny Manziel to the CFL?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Probably not, although you never know. Saw this on Pro Football Talk:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... y-manziel/

He evidently was worked out by the Riders in contravention of CFL rules that say only the team who has a player on their negotiation list (that would be the Ti-Cats for Manziel) can work that player out. The Riders deny having had Manziel in for a workout.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If true, it's not surprise given how Chris Jones is not adverse to breaking the rules.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

There's already a 679 post (probably over 700 by the time I post this) going on over at RF.com over this. It's not about Manziel himself but rather over the accusation that the Riders worked Manziel out illegally. Jones has vehemently denied it and already threatened to take the accuser to court.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Too much baggage.

Some fans may like him, I acknowledge.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am wondering if Manziel was worked out by an NFL or Arena team while a Rider scout was present. This would still allow Jones to deny that the Riders worked out Manziel.

A lot of posters at Riderfans think that because Jones threatened legal action that his denial must be legit. I am pretty sure Jones was quoted as saying that the team was looking into legal action, something that could be a bluff and may also mean that they haven't even talked to an actual lawyer yet.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Too much baggage.

Just IMO ...
During his time at Texas A & M their games quickly became appointment viewing for me. He always seemed to be doing something no one else was doing on a college football field then. But at the time he declared for the draft I thought he came out way too early. Should have stayed at least one more season and, ideally, two.
CardiacKid
Legend

Well, Manziel is going to have to duke it out with Vince Young to see who plays in Riderville this year. Young is on the Rider's negotiation list and he just hired a high-powered agent; he says he wants to play again.....

Tongue somewhat inserted in cheek........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Too much baggage.

Just IMO ...
During his time at Texas A & M their games quickly became appointment viewing for me. He always seemed to be doing something no one else was doing on a college football field then. But at the time he declared for the draft I thought he came out way too early. Should have stayed at least one more season and, ideally, two.
Yes. In fairness, Manziel certainly does have achievements and awards, especially at the college level.
Nationally recruited out of high school as a dual-threat quarterback,[1] Manziel debuted for the Texas A&M Aggies as a redshirt freshman in Kevin Sumlin's Air Raid offense[2] during A&M's first season in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) in 2012. He broke numerous NCAA Division I FBS and SEC records, which include becoming the first freshman and fifth player in NCAA history to pass for 3,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in a season.[3] At the end of the regular season, he became the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy,[4] Manning Award,[5] and the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award.[6] Manziel capitalized on his redshirt freshman season by leading Texas A&M to a 41–13 victory over Oklahoma in the 2013 Cotton Bowl Classic.[7] -- Wikipedia
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

South Pender
Legend

At the risk of reviving an old thread, here's more on the Manziel soap opera:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... iger-cats/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:21 pm
At the risk of reviving an old thread, here's more on the Manziel soap opera:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... iger-cats/
Don't worry about that. TSN's Dave Naylor is near obsessed with this story. When I see on TSN and the CFL I wait to see how long it takes to get to 'how 'bout that Johnny Manziel?'
Joking aside, we'll now see if the Ticats are really interested in him or do they just put as many on their list just in case the guy wants to come to Canada.

Maybe someone in the CFL is making it known they'd like to look at him getting his side demanding action. Is the Lions? Is the Riders?

Or is it Manziel's side trying to stir up interest. It seems he's viewed in the NFL as damaged goods.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/manziel-for ... im~1207798
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
aklawitter
All Star

Johnny, welcome to Regina in November
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/09/27/cfl-issue ... y-manziel/
CFL issues statement regarding status of Johnny Manziel

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League released the following statement Wednesday morning regarding the status of international quarterback Johnny Manziel:

“After an extensive process of due diligence and an in-person meeting with Mr. Manziel, the Commissioner has decided that he will not register any contract for Mr. Manziel for this season. However, Mr. Manziel will be eligible to sign a contract for the 2018 season and, if Mr. Manziel meets certain conditions that have been spelled out by the Commissioner, the CFL will register that contract. The specifics of those conditions are confidential and will not be disclosed. The CFL has extended the stay on the expiry of the 10-day window for Mr. Manziel until Nov. 30, 2017 and therefore Mr. Manziel will remain on Hamilton’s negotiation list until that date.”

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats made it known publicly earlier in the year that the former Texas A&M star was indeed on their 45-man negotiation list and as recent as last month had included him as part of a workout held in Buffalo, New York. Shortly after the workout, reports surfaced about potential negotiations beginning between Manziel’s camp and the Ticats but the club denied any speculation that a deal was imminent.

“Johnny did some good things,” Tiger-Cats VP of football operations Kent Austin said when asked about the workout prior to Labour Day. “On the field, he looked fine. It was a short workout but he’s obviously a talented kid.

“We’re not interested in signing Johnny right now,” he added. “That won’t happen, that’s not imminent.”

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm guessing that the CFL did this to give the Ticats a graceful way to exit from this.

How can they have a wonderful say no to violence and take in this guy who's demonstrated zero interest in the CFL and who's got character and commitment issues!

Dave Naylor is an astute broadcaster but wtf is with his Johnny Manziel focus all the time.

It's a focus the CFL doesn't need and the CFL's delay is proof they're pretty sure this guy is toxic.

IF he were a success there is no way he'd stay anyway so why go down this path?

I don't think the Ticats realized how the word of the Manziel work out would blow up on them and get the focus it has.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
BC 1988
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:32 pm
I don't think the Ticats realized how the word of the Manziel work out would blow up on them and get the focus it has.
Given that HAM was in the midst of the Art Briles fiasco last month as well, I think sensitivity to public perception is not a strong suit of the club. It took Ambrosie's direct involvement to knock some sense into them.
mountaincat
Rookie

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:32 pm
I'm guessing that the CFL did this to give the Ticats a graceful way to exit from this.
in giving the ticats a graceful way to exit, the league has tied itself in knots... that is one of the most bizarre and awkward press releases i've seen in a while... basically "we are trying desperately to spin the fact that he is banned for the remainder of the season because he is clearly a violent scumbag, but might be un-banned next year if he meets secret conditions that will never be disclosed! we are literally making this crap up as we go along!"

so much for be more than a bystander. what a friggin joke. actions speak so much louder than words.

as for tsn/naylor...just chasing ratings and cranking out clickbait, i'd say.

all involved are making idiots of themselves...