CFL coaching carousel

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Odie
Rookie

Here's a name I wonder about for special teams... Carl Kidd. One of my favourite all time lions and a guy who bled orange. I remember him as a guest coach at a few tcs and thought I heard he was coaching down south... Just another dream....
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Jeff Garcia is currently an offensive assistant coach for the St. Louis Rams so I don't know if a CFL OC job would be enough of a promotion for him to leave an NFL job. However, the Rams are having another terrible season. They have not had a winning season yet since Jeff Fisher became HC in 2012. So, Fisher could be sacked at the end of the season and Garcia could find himself looking for work. At that point being the OC for his old CFL coach may become a whole lot more attractive. If the axe falls on Fisher in St. Louis it will likely happen on January 4, so WB can probably afford to wait before offering the OC job to anyone.

I for one would welcome Garcia as OC. I like that option better than Khari or (god forbid) the return of The Chap.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Will Buono wait till Jan 4? I hope he waits until Christmas like he did with Tedford. Just giving a guy a job by default is not an ideal situation. They did not believe in him last year when they brought in Cortez, so why give him the job because there is no one else. They need to exhaust the options. Hope Buono is smart enough to do that.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

What happened to Jarious Jackson as a OC candidate? Did he sign with some other team already?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:What happened to Jarious Jackson as a OC candidate? Did he sign with some other team already?
JJ is going to Saskatchewan with Jones. Same position. Bit of a surprise to me, but maybe it's a decision based on job security. Either that or he really likes Jones and/or the Riders have opened their wallet for Jone's assistants as well.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I wonder if the Lions could coax Buck Pierce out here? He is coaching in Winnipeg at the moment (running backs). And what is Doug Berry doing lately?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

One would expect Stephen McAdoo to join Chris Jones in Regina as his OC.

We hear Jarious Jackson is going to the Riders for the same job he had with the Eskimos.

Jones has made good connections with coaches throughout his career. No problem filling slots, it seems. And in the case of a guy like Jones, he has been like an itinerant worker, spending time with many teams, absorbing the advantages of that experience.
Stephen McAdoo
Offensive Coordinator

Stephen McAdoo brings 15 years of coaching experience. Prior to the Eskimos, he served as the offensive line coach for the Toronto Argonauts. From 2003-05, he served as the offensive line and running backs coach for the Montreal Alouettes. The following season he added co-offensive coordinator to his duties.

Before entering the Canadian Football League, McAdoo was the offensive line and tight ends coach at Tennessee Tech University and the tight ends coach at his alma mater Middle Tennessee State University.

Prior to coaching, he was an offensive lineman at MTSU. In 1993, he signed as a free agent with the Cleveland Browns and spent the following two seasons with the now-defunct CFL Shreveport Pirates.
If somehow, McAdoo does not join the Riders, Wally might be advised to give him a call.

One of the problems facing Wally is fan expectations. With a new crew, as when Wally arrived in 2003, expectations are not such a big deal. At that time, it seems to me fans were hopeful, but not focused so much on who would be the assistants. Probably more about the players, and then we got Dave Dickenson on his return from the NFL. All was good. Everything seemed new and promising.

But Wally has now been here 13 years. Fans have experienced highs and lows. They have opinions on a large number of coaches. It will be tricky for Wally to find the right guys, that can give hope, without seeming like retreads, without carrying baggage. Fans have memories. Some of it good, some not so good. Too much familiarity in some cases.

And at this time, some up and comers do not have much experience. Buck Pierce for instance. But lack of OC experience did not stop Jim Popp from making Anthony Calvillo OC in Montreal.

Dave Dickenson might have been a guy Wally could have kept here in Vancouver. Maybe.

Jarious Jackson might have been a guy Wally could have kept here in Vancouver. Maybe.

Buck Pierce might have been a guy Wally could have kept here in Vancouver. Maybe.

Jackson and Pierce may well be Head Coaches in the CFL at some time.

Dickenson's time has come in Calgary.

And, as well, for guys like Hufnagel, Austin and Milanovich, as OCs themselves, and as former quarterbacks, they can bring in a new, young OC, and it can go smoothly. Wally has never been close to being an OC, nor a QB coach. Playbook. Game planning. Play calling. He has relied heavily on assistants for those roles. So Wally would certainly seem to need an experienced guy as OC.

Our next OC will be the fourth in as many years. Brand new playbook? Offence starting over at training camp?

IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/2015/12/10/claybrooks ... ordinator/

Claybrooks named DC in Calgary. Career profile below.

He played for 11 pro teams by my count. All that exposure is great training and experience for a would be coach, IMO, as one gets to see a number of different systems, styles and coaching approaches.

As well, the Stampeders moved quickly and secured Ryan Dinwiddie as QB coach. He also has a bit of experience as an OC. So unless Dickenson finds the right guy, my guess is he will also be the OC. Jarious turned him down for OC and went to Regina. (Jarious turned down the position Wally discussed as well.)
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

DanoT
Hall of Famer

It looks to me like Wally is having trouble finding coaches who want to work for him...Not a surprise.
The_Pauser
Legend

I just find it amusing that, over the years, people complain about our coaching and then when we finally do make coaching changes people complain about that too.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:I just find it amusing that, over the years, people complain about our coaching and then when we finally do make coaching changes people complain about that too.
When the new coaches are inadequate or they are not given the independence that they need, or the Lions are unable to attract quality coaches or free agents, then I will continue to complain.

I was not happy with Tedford's first season but was hoping that he would stay for a second season and try to turn things around.

I am glad Cortez is gone because I never wanted to see him here in the first place.

McMann should have been gone years ago.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:I just find it amusing that, over the years, people complain about our coaching and then when we finally do make coaching changes people complain about that too.
Coaching changes by themselves weren't the issue, it was the style of coaching that was part in parcel. What those who were looking for a change in staff were hoping for was a change in direction and philosophy, not just a different guy under a hat doing the same damn things that the last guy did. Unfortunately, the guy pulling the strings at the top is still the guy and his all-encompassing personality has made things such that now no on knows if coaches are actually coaching or have simply become an extension of Wally's Will. What is abundantly clear is that there is something wrong with the culture on this football team and since we have seemingly rid ourselves of most of the obvious candidates as to why this is so, it leaves few plausible alternatives. At this point it is either the equipment manager or Wally Buono. This is a beautiful city to live in and yet, free agents don't seem too enthralled about signing here. Coaches don't seem to want much to do with this place even though some of them played here for years and have ties here; even if coming here would mean a promotion up the career ladder. That is serious stuff. The sheer volume of such issues means you can't just chalk it up to a disgruntled player here or a personality conflict there.

Fans unhappy, revenue dropping, interest flagging. To quote Queen Victoria "We are not amused".
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Teams throughout the league is fast filling their coaching vacancies except the team on the West Coast. Maybe Buono is making plans for his annual trip to Hawaii..........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Another member of Edmonton’s coaching staff is apparently on his way to Regina. CKRM Radio’s Rod Pedersen reported Wednesday that Ed Philion, who spent the past two seasons as Edmonton’s defensive line coach, is to be reunited with Jones with the Riders. Philion is to be the Riders’ defensive line coach.
mmccormick@postmedia.com

twitter.com/murraylp

Lions' needs:

OC ... This is the key spot for Wally to fill during our off season.

QB coach

Receivers, depending on what happens with Khari

STs

I would bet the farm that Mark Washington returns as DC. It doesn't look like Mark W is getting a call to discuss the Eskimo Head Coach job.

Any other departures? Dunno ...

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Teams throughout the league is fast filling their coaching vacancies except the team on the West Coast. Maybe Buono is making plans for his annual trip to Hawaii..........
Edmonton is taking their time. Hervey said it will probably be a couple of weeks before the HC job there is filled.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.