Wally HC/ GM Again

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Braley talking extension when he is selling the team? Dunno about that ...

If the new owner wants change, Braley will be stuck with the contract to pay. I guess it would be part of the negotiations. It is all good for Wally on a personal level.

Lifetime job. Wow. Wally certainly hit the jackpot with Braley.

Tedford? Bye bye. As the song goes: "We hardly knew ye." You did not put your stamp on the team. And maybe that was impossible.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Spud387
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:
WB told reporters "the players love me".
Dante Marsh?

Korey Banks?

Keron Williams? Another DE we tried to move inside as an undersized DT.

Ernest Jackson?

Nick Moore?

Andrew Jones?

Justin Sorensen?

Joe Smith?

"the players love me" ? Not so sure about that. This has not been a haven for top level free agents. Or for aging vets. But some players do get the love. Some. Some seem to get preferred treatment. Others? Not.
I think the idea was the players love playing for me. Of course some are going to be bitter when they are released or Wally the GM says you aren't worth that much money
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Wally's calculated decision to "fight fire with fire" in hanging Tedford out to dry at the season's end needs to end this week...either state he's your HC and has full control over his staff, or let him go. If Tedford is fired, it doesn't really matter whether Wally announces his return to the sidelines at the same time or not, but for the sake of this franchise, the fans, the players and for Tedford's opportunity to take on another job, a decision needs to be made now.

IMO, as I said during the season, the Lions potentially have NOT hit bottom yet, even with the emergence of a good, young QB. Coaching and MGT of this team since Bob Ackles left us has been the problem. Wally has been credited with most of the success from 2003-2008, but I believe that Ackles in charge over Wally, was the recipe for success. Wally on his own has been a sinking ship, buoyed only by the "miraculous" run during the second half of the 2011 season and the strong 2012 season. Before and after that "event", the Lions have been in disarray. And with a history under Wally of horrid CDN drafts, we are dreadfully thin on NAT talent and NAT backups.

Ultimately, Jeff Tedford put himself into this situation by agreeing to a deal that saw his powers limited. Keeping Washington and McMann, while losing Bates and hiring on Cortez was at the very least a strong recommendation from Wally that Tedford trusted in. Our Defence was a JOKE for half a season until personnel changes were made, slowly followed by some changes in coaching philosophy. There are those that want to believe Washington "slowly came around", but I disagree. This was Tedford taking on a more active role with his staff, as he did with both the S Ts and the Offence.

The "gut" feeling I get is that this delay in announcing our HC has everything to do with Wally and another power play. He is giving Tedford HIS terms to return as a "puppet" coach, with McMann retired, and both Cortez and Washington retained, ensuring that "Wallyball" will continue to mediocre results. IMO, this is the ONLY way that Tedford will be "allowed" to return...and if he disagrees with this approach, then he will be let go, or rather Wally will "frame it" as a "mutual parting of the ways". This is why I don't see Tedford coming back, and the Lions continued to be controlled by Wally, who is using this to get ONE MORE contract from the Lions, so that if he tanks, he will have his retirement nest egg. And if this does come to pass, the Lions will have one less fan to "worry" about.

I sure hope I am wrong about all of this, and that Tedford is given a legitimate shot to pick his staff and stamp his personal style of coaching upon EVERY aspect of this football team, but again, I doubt it. Either way, this little charade by Wally of leaving Tedford to wriggle in the wind needs to end this week for the sake of everyone besides Wally Buono.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:
WB told reporters "the players love me".
Dante Marsh?

Korey Banks?

Keron Williams? Another DE we tried to move inside as an undersized DT.

Ernest Jackson?

Nick Moore?

Andrew Jones?

Justin Sorensen?

Joe Smith?

"the players love me" ? Not so sure about that. This has not been a haven for top level free agents. Or for aging vets. But some players do get the love. Some. Some seem to get preferred treatment. Others? Not.
I think the idea was the players love playing for me. Of course some are going to be bitter when they are released or Wally the GM says you aren't worth that much money
Almost any coach will have some players that love him. I don't think Wally is known as a warm and fuzzy boss. Except to a select few. I think it is safe to say Wally is tight with the money. That is no doubt one of the reasons that Braley is so loyal to him. Wally is known as a GM/HC that cuts players with hardly a pat on the back on the way out.

In general terms, one can hardly think of any Head Coach that is loved by the vast majority of his players. It does not go with the territory. Most players just want fair treatment and respect.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

maxlion
Legend

"Whilst we deliberate how to begin a thing, it grows too late to begin it."
Quintilian
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Big Time wrote:I'm ok with Wally on the sidelines. Let's be real here. It's not like Tedford did anything that couldn't be done by someone with half his experience and salary. His schemes were boring and he quite frankly looked bored on the sidelines.

What I won't be ok with is the two or three victories Wally will cost us next year by playing prevent defence in the last three minutes that will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

You have to be kidding, right? Clearly we only began to see the "Tedford influence" towards the season's end when he imposed his will on this team AGAINST Wally's wishes. And Tedford made this clear to everyone in his post season interviews with the papers. He was telling us that he was restricted by Wally and did his best...and that he wanted to do more. The next day Wally responded as if this was some kind of attack on him, and left Tedford hanging...a BUSH LEAGUE MOVE BY A BUSH LEAGUE GM!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MikeAK
All Star

At this stage I don't really know what to feel. All I know is that this past season was one of the toughest for me in recent memory. If this improves upon it I can live with the move.
CardiacKid
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:
Big Time wrote:I'm ok with Wally on the sidelines. Let's be real here. It's not like Tedford did anything that couldn't be done by someone with half his experience and salary. His schemes were boring and he quite frankly looked bored on the sidelines.

What I won't be ok with is the two or three victories Wally will cost us next year by playing prevent defence in the last three minutes that will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

You have to be kidding, right? Clearly we only began to see the "Tedford influence" towards the season's end when he imposed his will on this team AGAINST Wally's wishes. And Tedford made this clear to everyone in his post season interviews with the papers. He was telling us that he was restricted by Wally and did his best...and that he wanted to do more. The next day Wally responded as if this was some kind of attack on him, and left Tedford hanging...a BUSH LEAGUE MOVE BY A BUSH LEAGUE GM!
Well, the likes of Lowell Ullrich, Ed Wiles and Mike Beamish will have their next several days potentially full of attempting to distill what transpired on both sides, what was said by both sides and what the players think about this. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for any news items that are put together by folks that have access to the organization, the coaching staff and the players.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:WB told reporters "the players love me".
As Price said to Sekeres when relaying that "but we weren't able to see the twinkle in his eye when he said that". Anybody not recognizing Buono said that with tongue in cheek must be new to following the Lions.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It is a somewhat chaotic situation. Second Head Coach firing in two years.

The only thing lending some stability to it is the name Wally Buono. And that comes with mixed blessings.

The Lions, as an organization, are not sitting on top of the CFL world. This chaos cannot be helping Braley's efforts to sell the team. I am not sure that new owners would see Wally Buono in the light that Braley sees him.

The Lions are not alone in their uncertainty, however. Edmonton just might lose Chris Jones. Regina is going through change. Calgary just might miss John Hufnagel more than they expect, and they have lost Rich Stubler.

Wally is not coming back at a time when the Head Coaching ranks in the West are stacked against him.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:WB told reporters "the players love me".
As Price said to Sekeres when relaying that "but we weren't able to see the twinkle in his eye when he said that". Anybody not recognizing Buono said that with tongue in cheek must be new to following the Lions.
That makes sense. Wally, when he was hired by Bobby Ackles, back in 2003, said his one regret was that he wished he could have been nicer.

I can picture Wally with a twinkle in his eye when he said he was loved by players. And no doubt he is loved by some players. Many? Not so sure about that.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote:And Tedford made this clear to everyone in his post season interviews with the papers. He was telling us that he was restricted by Wally and did his best...and that he wanted to do more. The next day Wally responded as if this was some kind of attack on him, and left Tedford hanging...a BUSH LEAGUE MOVE BY A BUSH LEAGUE GM!
Want to provide a few links. I'd like to read those articles.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:
Against Wally's wishes? You talk like you know this for a fact. Why are you disguising your opinion as fact? There's nothing that suggests this is anywhere near true.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

More player reaction:
Ronnie Yell ✔ @rondonbby
Excited for the new direction we are going in, definitely something we needed as a team to be successful! Let's get it coach @GM_Brillo
Spud387
Champion

MexicoLionFan wrote:Wally's calculated decision to "fight fire with fire" in hanging Tedford out to dry at the season's end needs to end this week...either state he's your HC and has full control over his staff, or let him go. If Tedford is fired, it doesn't really matter whether Wally announces his return to the sidelines at the same time or not, but for the sake of this franchise, the fans, the players and for Tedford's opportunity to take on another job, a decision needs to be made now.

IMO, as I said during the season, the Lions potentially have NOT hit bottom yet, even with the emergence of a good, young QB. Coaching and MGT of this team since Bob Ackles left us has been the problem. Wally has been credited with most of the success from 2003-2008, but I believe that Ackles in charge over Wally, was the recipe for success. Wally on his own has been a sinking ship, buoyed only by the "miraculous" run during the second half of the 2011 season and the strong 2012 season. Before and after that "event", the Lions have been in disarray. And with a history under Wally of horrid CDN drafts, we are dreadfully thin on NAT talent and NAT backups.

Ultimately, Jeff Tedford put himself into this situation by agreeing to a deal that saw his powers limited. Keeping Washington and McMann, while losing Bates and hiring on Cortez was at the very least a strong recommendation from Wally that Tedford trusted in. Our Defence was a JOKE for half a season until personnel changes were made, slowly followed by some changes in coaching philosophy. There are those that want to believe Washington "slowly came around", but I disagree. This was Tedford taking on a more active role with his staff, as he did with both the S Ts and the Offence.

The "gut" feeling I get is that this delay in announcing our HC has everything to do with Wally and another power play. He is giving Tedford HIS terms to return as a "puppet" coach, with McMann retired, and both Cortez and Washington retained, ensuring that "Wallyball" will continue to mediocre results. IMO, this is the ONLY way that Tedford will be "allowed" to return...and if he disagrees with this approach, then he will be let go, or rather Wally will "frame it" as a "mutual parting of the ways". This is why I don't see Tedford coming back, and the Lions continued to be controlled by Wally, who is using this to get ONE MORE contract from the Lions, so that if he tanks, he will have his retirement nest egg. And if this does come to pass, the Lions will have one less fan to "worry" about.

I sure hope I am wrong about all of this, and that Tedford is given a legitimate shot to pick his staff and stamp his personal style of coaching upon EVERY aspect of this football team, but again, I doubt it. Either way, this little charade by Wally of leaving Tedford to wriggle in the wind needs to end this week for the sake of everyone besides Wally Buono.
I think you are a little late to the party....