Brett Boyko on the Bubble? And what about Christian Covingt

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Well, the NFL pre-season is almost done and by Saturday, 4pm (EST I assume?) all teams will have reduced their rosters to 53 men.

I have been trying to get a sense if Brett Boyko has been making a positive impression in Eagle's camp by checking the various articles being posted online by Eagles prognosticators and analysts. Lowell Ullrich seems to think he will make it past this Saturday but the last few items I have found seem to figure Boyko is on the outside looking in. At the start of camp he seemed assured of a backup spot but during the last couple of weeks, I have not seen him amongst the penciled-in members of the Offensive Line for the start of regular season. The Eagles last game against the Packers, he did not get a snap.

I wish the guy all the best in achieving his preferred goals....but if he is looking at returning north, I won't complain.

LU is also floating the idea that Brett Jones might be returning to the CFL and that is indeed the case, the Lions would be pursuing his services. If Boyko doesn't make the cut down south along with Jones (and the Lions sign Jones) and Hunter Steward returns to the levels he was showing, I would consider a return to an All-Canadian Offensive line an early Christmas present. Given, of course, this offensive line that exist only in my mind at the moment, meets the expectation their talents supposedly suggests.

I haven't found as much regarding Christian Covington's camp and how well he is performing. Early on in camp he seemed to impress but the news items I found seemed to base their positive response on the fact not much was expected of him. Again, if the man is looking at coming back to Vancouver in order to get regular football, I would be thinking, "all right! Early Christmas!"
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

These two guys would indeed by Christmas gifts from the football gods. Highly rated for CFL play.

If they arrived, Wally would be justified in some of the gambling he did in the draft.

And, if they arrived, they would add a bit more to long term hopes. Not so much short term.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Qman
Champion

its better if these guys make the rosters and we don't see them for 2-3 years and they come back finished products.
If they fail to make NFL rosters right away it means they were over-rated and probably not ratio changer guys, just guys they fill out the remaining cdn roster spots. No way bb and cc are starters right away for this season if the come back.

On jones, he's older and developed. And probably has to make top 8-9 OL spots. Hope wally opens up the bank if he comes back.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

If stats mean anything Covington should be a lock to stick with Houston. He was credited with 4 tackles and 1 tackle assist last night and 3 tackles with 1 tackle assist in the previous game. Boyko though I think is much on the bubble. I tried opening the Eagles depth chart to see where he sits but it gives an error.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
peeby
Starter

I tried to look at Canadians who made the NFL 53 man roster. Not sure they're updated as yet, but the 2 Lion draft picks were on the two rosters and their names weren't in the release lists that I saw. My personal opinion is contrary to the poster who suggests it's a good idea that the guys get NFL experience, get cut, then come back. I don't really know if that happens. That LB in Toronto is the only case I recall. Personally, I think the Lions did not do the necessary work they needed to do on the last CIS draft. I think they could have drafted better. I'm sure there are guys they could have drafted who are actually playing right now, and in the CFL.
Qman
Champion

FYI

@Roar Report
Covington had a good camp not only made the Texans they cut all his backup competition. #bclions #cfl
Qman
Champion

FYI

@Roar Report
ask expected #BCLions draft pick Brett Boyko cut from Eagles, he will likely go through the 10day waiver period then join lions as a backup

@RoarReport
2 - thats assuming he doesn't get a PR spot with Eagles or elsewhere #bclions #cfl

@RoarReport
NFL PR is $96k while top cfl OL draft picks get $100k+20k. Still he would giving up the optionality of making $500k #bclions
Qman
Champion

Despite wally's terrible drafting record recently, he did get the top two prospects in this years draft in Covington & Boyko in various rounds.

Even if only one signs with lions its like getting the #1 pick overall (without giving up anything)
Too bad he wasted his real first round pick on a fourth rounder
Hambone
Hall of Famer

It's unfair to assess any CFL draft halfway into the same season. So many things can happen. Call me about this time in the 2017 season. That's when we'll really know how this one graded out.
globespanner
Rookie

BC secoond round draft choice Brett Boyko was waived by the Eagles this afternoon. He may save this draft for the lions yet.

Christian Coving looks like he has nailed a slot on the Texans D. Great for him. Congratulations.

Brett Jones is on the bubble in NY. CBS sports is reporting he sprained an MCL last night. Not sure if he can be cut if injured? He may go on a PUP list till healthy. anybody know?

MOD EDIT - Merged your topic with the one already started on this subject.
peeby
Starter

On Brett Jones being injured and possibly being cut, the way Ben Heenan was released was interesting. He was given an injury settlement, then waived. I can't imagine this happens in the CFL. The poster who thinks you judge a draft a couple years down the road may be right, but there are players playing right now who were drafted this year. That Demco guy from U of Manitoba looked good in one game I watched. I think we could have had him.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:It's unfair to assess any CFL draft halfway into the same season. So many things can happen. Call me about this time in the 2017 season. That's when we'll really know how this one graded out.
I totally agree that it is way too premature to write off Mrabure-Ajufo. Rickey Foley was a first rounder who got a grand total of 2 tackles in his first year playing as a situational pass rusher on a line including Cam Wake (he also got 9 special team tackles). His numbers went up the following season but I have to believe his progress was aided and abetted by the presence of a truly special player like Wake. EMA needs to be given a chance to develop.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Boyko officially added to Eagles practice roster:
@ZBerm: Eagles practice squad: B. Boyko, M. Bunche, R. Evans. F. Martino, B. Mihalik, R. Mostert, Q. Pratt, Chris Pantale, E. Reynolds, D. Skinner
Qman
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:
Hambone wrote:It's unfair to assess any CFL draft halfway into the same season. So many things can happen. Call me about this time in the 2017 season. That's when we'll really know how this one graded out.
I totally agree that it is way too premature to write off Mrabure-Ajufo. Rickey Foley was a first rounder who got a grand total of 2 tackles in his first year playing as a situational pass rusher on a line including Cam Wake (he also got 9 special team tackles). His numbers went up the following season but I have to believe his progress was aided and abetted by the presence of a truly special player like Wake. EMA needs to be given a chance to develop.
yeah, big difference. foley spent his first year with Baltimore if i recall. Ajufo can't even make it off PR.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Actually Wake didn't arrive until Foley's 2nd season. Chris Wilson was the DE in Foley's rookie season. Regardless Foley didn't get helped by BC having Wilson then Wake on one end and Brent Johnson on the other. Still there were similarities between him and Mrabure-Ajufo. Foley possessed tremendous athleticism as a college decathlete. He also was thought to be very raw as a football player. He had a ton to learn before he was ready for primetime.