All the best to Lowell Ullrich

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

LU works his final game tonight before enjoying retirement. Did a fantastic job and Lions coverage won't be the same without him. Thanks LU.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks Sammy, I didn't know this was the case. LU did a fantastic job with the Lions...I wish him the VERY BEST in his retirement. I hope he elects to write some editorialized comments from home!

Best wishes LU!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

For Lowell, this is good news. Enjoy your retirement.

For CFL fans, this is not good news.

Lowell, you will be missed. Thanks for all the great reportage (to use the phrase of Slap Maxwell) over the years. :beer:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wish him well on his retirement. Going to miss his article. Hope his replacement is half as good as LU was.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I am shocked but he is the first writer I look to for insights. One of the best ever.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Apparently from what he said on the radio just before 4pm he's only giving up his writing gig at the Province and will remain as part of 1040's on air game day coverage through at least this season.

Print media being the dying industry it is these days, I'm wondering if he jumped or was pushed?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Apparently from what he said on the radio just before 4pm he's only giving up his writing gig at the Province and will remain as part of 1040's on air game day coverage through at least this season.

Print media being the dying industry it is these days, I'm wondering if he jumped or was pushed?
My understanding is he left on his terms when buyouts were offered. One of 3 to take it. Tony Gallagher and Jim Jamieson the others. Department down 3 writers.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Won't miss Tony Gallagher
Alputt
Champion

I have a friend who works at the Province the newsroom has been decimated by cuts over the last few years... Another round of buyouts was on offer a couple weeks ago I guess Lowell opted to take the money, perhaps wisely so, but a big loss for quality Lions coverage for sure! Thank you Mr. Ullrich.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

I used to get three newspapers: the Sun, Province & National Post, but cancelled my subscriptions about two years ago. I just got tired of "news" stories that were awfully short on actual news, and media companies recycling articles across multiple papers (you could often see exactly the same articles in the Sun & Post). Over the past two years I've picked up the odd weekend paper and invariably have been disappointed.

I picked up the Monday Sun after the weekend storms, and I was shocked by how meager the paper was. It was literally two sections and had fewer articles than my community papers. I've heard that papers were dying but I had no idea it had gotten so bad.

Lowell is a good writer, and it's too bad the Province is not what it once was. I hope he'll continue to cover the team in print. There has to be a market for his writing somewhere out there, likely online for the Lions' webpage, the CFL, TSN, or some such place.

And if that fails, he should sit down and write a biography of Lui Passaglia.
dat
Rookie

I agree, I've always enjoyed LU's insight. He will be missed, hope to still hear from him. Enjoy your retirement. By the way what a great job to have over the years, covering football and sports. Thanks Lowell.

dat
prj
Starter

Best wishes to LU and thanks for a job very well done.
Bosco
Team Captain

I have always enjoyed reading LU's reports as well as listening to him on TSN1040. Best of luck and enjoy your retirement, Lowell. :thup:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ditto to all the well wishes and thanks for a job done with professionalism and constancy.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

In terms of football knowledge, I don't think there are any football writer's in Canada that can surpass LU. Glad to hear he is going to be involved with the Lions radio broadcasts so I guess it is semi retirement. :beauty: