Tedford finalizes staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

leo4life
All Star

Bouno has gone on record that he will not be jumping in to the 2015 FA signings this year.Prefers to "find his own talent" and the twitter startegy last year blew up in the Leos face.I think they should consider a few,at least.Last year they found O Rush ends which cant continue again in 2015
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:Bouno has gone on record that he will not be jumping in to the 2015 FA signings this year.Prefers to "find his own talent" and the twitter startegy last year blew up in the Leos face.I think they should consider a few,at least.Last year they found O Rush ends which cant continue again in 2015
Defensive end seems to be the most difficult position to fill with rookies. Khreem Smith has a job for life. :wink:
leo4life
All Star

Khareem is ok but if he were to get injured,Leos in big trouble...hes pretty durable luckily
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Bouno has gone on record that he will not be jumping in to the 2015 FA signings this year.Prefers to "find his own talent" and the twitter startegy last year blew up in the Leos face.I think they should consider a few,at least.Last year they found O Rush ends which cant continue again in 2015
He is right to go to ground on this one as players last year certainly weren't attracted to BC.

Some speculation that Wally and BC are not seen as player friendly nor too loyal - who knows if they think that as they won't say.

Dante Marsh ripping the Lions publicly says volumes as players think (hey that could be me) as it is clear that the Lions foolishly let that relationship get ugly and Benevides who is gone now trashed the guy in public.

For many players playing close to their families is the best option for them as they get to home faster and cheaper versus being many time zones away.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Speaking of Marsh, I'm a bit surprised that he has not signed on with another team.
leo4life
All Star

LionKing,Marsh is furious because Wally refused to release him from his contract untill FA offically begins next Tuesday."Free agency starts the same time for everyone" he said.Wally is really making BC a very undisered place for vets to sign the last few years imho
Rammer
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:LionKing,Marsh is furious because Wally refused to release him from his contract untill FA offically begins next Tuesday."Free agency starts the same time for everyone" he said.Wally is really making BC a very undisered place for vets to sign the last few years imho
There is nothing better than to have SolE and Bighill to entice a couple of those with reservations about BC to think that this is a place of destination.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:LionKing,Marsh is furious because Wally refused to release him from his contract untill FA offically begins next Tuesday."Free agency starts the same time for everyone" he said.Wally is really making BC a very undisered place for vets to sign the last few years imho
Classless move by Buono to a vet who has given his all to the Lions. He deserve better treatment.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Classless move by Buono to a vet who has given his all to the Lions. He deserve better treatment.
Decisions like this one while defensible - everyone gets the same start day - are shocking and come across mean spirited and without a good sense of how best to cut ties with someone you no longer want.

Wally needs wiser counsel on matters like this but there is no one there to give him the alternate view of how fans of Marsh who buy tickets and other CFL players will look at this. Players won't say but it does impact how they feel about BC.

It is best to cut ties with class. 'We're letting him go so that he can find a new team if he chooses to. We thank him... .'all the usual stuff but make it sincere.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally has released players early in the past, especially if an offseason roster bonus were due. I suspect this may be part of an effort to level the playing field across the league and not have separate bidding wars break out with a limited supply of free agents at various times of the year. For a GM, it's easier to find bargains when the supply of free agents is high.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Wally has released players early in the past, especially if an offseason roster bonus were due. I suspect this may be part of an effort to level the playing field across the league and not have separate bidding wars break out with a limited supply of free agents at various times of the year. For a GM, it's easier to find bargains when the supply of free agents is high.
If this were the case, wouldn't it be better strategy as a GM (looking out for #1, I mean) to cut a player loose early so that some other team is more likely to overpay for that player you don't want anyway, thereby leaving that team less cap space to build the rest of their roster and compete against you? Or do you mean that the league tries (or has ways) to discourage teams from doing this as a drag on player salaries? On whose part is this "effort to level the playing field across the league" being exerted, I guess is what I'm asking.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:If this were the case, wouldn't it be better strategy as a GM (looking out for #1, I mean) to cut a player loose early so that some other team is more likely to overpay for that player you don't want anyway, thereby leaving that team less cap space to build the rest of their roster and compete against you? Or do you mean that the league tries (or has ways) to discourage teams from doing this as a drag on player salaries? On whose part is this "effort to level the playing field across the league" being exerted, I guess is what I'm asking.
It would have to be a gentlemen's agreement to try to lower prices overall, but I am only speculating here.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Back in the 1960s CFL teams got by with three coaches. Now the Lions have 8. The Riders have 10, including Jacques Chapdelaine and Dan Dorazio, long time coaches with the Lions.

In 1964 the Lions were coached by HC Dave Skrien, DC Jim Champion and OC Dick Johnston.

Times change. The complexity of the game evolves. Much more planning. Much more detail.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Dusty wrote:Leo4life posted on another thread that Barrin Miles was not renewed by the Roughiders. Is there a place for him here or has he decided to take a sabbatical from coaching? Maybe we can entice him as a Safety??? (just kidding.....I think....)
LU reported last week he is a finalist to replace Chapdelaine at SFU.
WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce that Barron Miles has been named the club’s Defensive Backs Coach. Miles joins Coach O’Shea’s staff after spending the past three seasons holding the same position with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

“I’m extremely excited to come over to Winnipeg and work with such a strong group of defensive backs,” said Miles. “I really believe this group is one of the league’s best and with such athletic and versatile players in the secondary, I look forward to helping them grow and ultimately having our unit help us in being successful as a team.”

Miles brings with him 15 years of experience in the Canadian Football League, including 12 years as one of the league’s top defensive backs. Miles spent seven seasons with Montreal, before heading to B.C. for his final five years. A three-time Grey Cup Champion, Miles was a nine-time Division All-Star, and a CFL All-Star on six occasions. He is second all-time in CFL history with 66 interceptions.

“Barron brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to our organization,” said Head Coach Mike O’Shea. “He was so good in our league for so long, he can relate to players very well, and that’s a great asset to have on your coaching staff. We’re thrilled to have him on board.”

Prior to joining the Riders in 2012, he had spent the previous two seasons with the Lions as their Defensive and Player Personnel Assistant.

Miles won two Grey Cups as a player (2006, 2011) with the Lions, and one as a Defensive Backs Coach (2013) with the Riders.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Whoever wrote that messed up on his GC ring count. Miles has four altogether: two as player (Mtl 2002, BC 2006) and two as coach (BC 2011, Ssk 2013).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.