CIS Coverage - yes you can see it

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

We're in year four of Krown Countdown U on Shaw, Shaw Direct and now on 17 stations throughout Ontario. Here's our preview edition:

We spent 50k on the set alone, so I hope it shows.

We are also going into year eight of Krown Canada West Football on Shaw.

Sept. 5 - 5:30 PM, Manitoba at Saskatchewan
Sept. 12 - 4:30 PM, Regina at Manitoba
Sept. 20 - 3:30 PM, Regina at Alberta
Sept. 26 - 4:30 PM, Manitoba at Calgary
Oct. 4 - 4:30 PM, UBC at Saskatchewan
The last three weeks are flex weeks.

Here is this year's promo:

We've also produced the equivalent of the CFL Facts, Figures and Records Guide known as the Krown Countdown U Red Book. It's 308 pages of history and records. The history section documents the game's roots from Rugby school and many points of the development of the game where the universities played a central role in development of it (which are not told by the CFL). It will be available at Chapters, Indigo and Amazon in less than two weeks.

While this isn't the case in Ontario and Quebec and other parts of the west, I've come to know over the years that in Calgary and Vancouver, CFL fans have a blind spot for Canadian University football. They are willfully detached from it. It's why I don't even try to post this in the Roar Room.

In a game with diverse offenses, and even a deeper history in this country than the CFL, I just shrug my shoulders with the Vancouver football fan and the absolute lack of curiosity about where their players come from. We staged one of the greatest football games in any league here in 2011 (the Vanier) and I'll bet you that it if it was brought up with Lions fans it would greeted with a collective 'duh'. The culture of the game here is a mile wide and a half inch deep. I've been calling games for 20 seasons, and consecutively for the last 10, and I always look forward to leaving Vancouver to go somewhere else in this country where they 'get it'.

It would be great to see a turnaround in this attitude as I am under the opinion that three down football can't survive in the long term in this market without healthy roots.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good preview. Go UBC !
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Let's see if any Canadian university will dethrone Laval Rouge et Or this season.

Too bad the Vanier Cup venue hasn't followed suit from 2011 and hold the game in the same stadium as the Grey Cup game this year as it will be held at Molson Stadium.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Let's see if any Canadian university will dethrone Laval Rouge et Or this season.

Too bad the Vanier Cup venue hasn't followed suit from 2011 and hold the game in the same stadium as the Grey Cup game this year as it will be held at Molson Stadium.
I loved watching the Lions beat the Bombers here in 2011 in the Grey Cup but the best football game I saw that weekend was the Vanier Cup two days earlier......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Yup, the greatest Vanier Cup ever
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's too bad that the Vanier Cup isn't hosted in Vancouver again like it was in 2011.

But the good news is that evil empire of Canadian college football, Laval Rouge et Or, will not be in the finals as they lost in the quarterfinals to the Montreal Carabins who made it to the finals and will be playing against the 2011 winners the McMaster Marauders in Molson Stadium in Montreal.

Any affinity to either team? If not to the school, the how about to the coaches as Carabins coach is former Lion Stefan Ptaszek while Eskimo fans will support Marauders coach who is former Eskimos coach Danny Maciocia.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Not sure who won but saw a bit of the Vanier Cup before I had to go out to do something important (BUY my Grey Cup snacks!). McMaster was looking solid when I turned it off to leave. Montreal had a drive make it inside the five and then got a penalty which set them up at the 2 1/2 yard line. They assumed it would then be 1st and goal but it was actually second and goal, therefore their run got stuffed and they had to boot a field goal. :dizzy: Those are the kinds of mistakes the Lions have made recently too. Right afterwards the Marauders pulled off a forty plus yard RUN so it was 13-3 when I left. Hope it was an exciting game....
Robbie
Hall of Famer

While the Alouettes didn't win it all this year, the city of Montreal can take consolation in that their Montréal Carabins won their first Vanier Cup in front of their home town fans at Molson Stadium 20-19 over the McMaster Marauders. For McMaster, they narrowly win some in 2011, and narrowly lose some this year. And sometimes the most crucial play at the end of the game is an offensive play, this time it's a defensive play as Montreal blocked a potential game winning field goal with 51 seconds to preserve the one point lead.
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

UBC hired Blake Nill to be the next Head Coach of the football team. He has a career coaching record of 130-47. He face a daunting task of rebuilding the team into a winner.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Steve Burratto joins UBC as Offensive Coordinator. Good hire IMO
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Kelly Bates emerges as HC at SFU if sources for Howard T are correct:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/02/24 ... ederated=1

I think Bates would be a good fit for a university team -especially one in a tough league they really can't recruit the talent for.
Sources within the local university community confirmed Tuesday that SFU has decided to hire Kelly Bates, the longtime B.C. Lions’ offensive lineman, as its new head coach. The school is expected to introduce Bates at a press conference on Thursday.
----
However the hiring process was truncated following an initial round of interviews. The Clan had narrowed their list down to three finalists of which Willamette (Ore.) head coach Glen Fowles was the winner. However before negotiations could be completed, Fowles and SFU found they were no longer on the same page. Neither Bates nor Jones was part of that initial group of three finalists.

That forced SFU athletic director Milt Richards to begin a new set of interviews, and Bates was said to have wowed the school’s hiring committee.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I realize SFU is not in the CIS but I see his hiring was discussed here.

Kelly Bates fired in another SFU Athletics dept WTF! decision.

http://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2017/11/30 ... tball.aspx
I posted this on their FB page in response to this decision.

If there is one problem with the football program it's been instability with the Head Coaches and some strange decisions in recent years to move from conference to conference.

While on the surface - and the record - this looks like a deserved outcome when the team isn't winning. However, if there was one thing needed to get the program back on track so you can actually recruit successfully again - it's stability.

Unless we're missing something here - this looks foolish, reactive and more of the same lack of leadership in athletics that produces a system of short term coaches.

It would be a lot less costly to actually do a proper diagnosis of the issues and causes of the recruiting challenges and come up with a plan and resources to help fix the problem rather than a continuation of the revolving door of Head Coaching changes.

Unless I'm missing something this looks like a gutless, poor decision on the part of the Athletic Director rather than the kind of leadership expected of a person in a role like this.

Jacque Chapdelaine's departure led to the mess - firing Kelly Bates just adds to it.
Another poster on FB said this:
Cédric Tsän Bates is a good coach and a good person, but he was given too big a shoe to fill after Chapdelaine's departure and after none of the candidates shortlisted in the first round of interview would take the job. For the past few years, nearly all Clan football coaches who showed promises were either immediately poached by bigger schools (especially the T-chicken-nuggets) or too ambitious for NCAA D2. Abe Eliminian was the DC under Chapdelaine. After Chapdelaine's departure, he was the care-taker coach. But before the season even started, he was poached by Hawaii.

Poor management decisions from the previous AD didn't help, either. James Colzie III, for example, was let go after just one season. The next season, he became the OC of UBC and UBC won the bloody Vanier Cup. He's now Saint Mary's head coach while his wife Marisa Kovacs (who was an assistant coach of Alan Koch, BTW) is the head coach of Saint Mary's women's soccer team.

I wish him nothing but the best. May he one day be a head coach again. #ThankYouCoach
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 4 · 48 mins
No posters so far are praising the decision.

Maybe he wasn't ready to be a HC but at the University level it's all about recruiting - and then secondarily about coaching quality. Some are brilliant recruiters like SFU former basketball coach (recently deceased sadly) was known for his recruiting even more than his winning teams. Lorne Davies "could have sold snow to the Eskimos" as he was described by athletes back in the 60s and 70s.

But stability is the problem at the HC spot. Secondly why are they back in the USA where it's possibly harder to compete BUT cheaper to get to games. That I think was the driver. Jump on a bus and for other sports into the vans and you can reach 200 +colleges and universities in a less than 4 or 5 hours. In Canada - well - not so much.

Maybe bring in Jay Prepchuck or Dennis Kelly or both.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy