Lions 7 - RedBlacks 5 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dat
Rookie

Tough to watch lions offence this year. Wonder how all the people who complained about Chappy feel after watching game after game with no TDs ? Defence has played well though. As good as Harris can be catching passes it seems neither he or Logan can run up the middle. Why doesnt Lumbala carry the ball more ? Saskatchewan was able to find a guy like Kory Sheets last year. Surely lions player personell can find a good RB from the states. They also didnt replace Nick Moore . My other question is why they didnt get Adekolu on the field instead of some of the receivers who have had little production. Hes big and caught everything thrown his way in preseason. I realize part of the problem is injuries to the O line but obviously something has to be fixed. Benny says he happy with the win despite only getting a couple of FGs again ?

dat
Rammer
Team Captain

dat wrote:Tough to watch lions offence this year. Wonder how all the people who complained about Chappy feel after watching game after game with no TDs ? Defence has played well though. As good as Harris can be catching passes it seems neither he or Logan can run up the middle. Why doesnt Lumbala carry the ball more ? Saskatchewan was able to find a guy like Kory Sheets last year. Surely lions player personell can find a good RB from the states. They also didnt replace Nick Moore . My other question is why they didnt get Adekolu on the field instead of some of the receivers who have had little production. Hes big and caught everything thrown his way in preseason. I realize part of the problem is injuries to the O line but obviously something has to be fixed. Benny says he happy with the win despite only getting a couple of FGs again ?

dat
Interesting comment from Benevides that has been brought up several times on this board since the win. I can only conclude from those comments that is exactly why the game unfolded the way it did. A conservative coach is playing not to lose (I think that we have established that Benevides is more conservative than his mentor now), so rather force the issue offensively, he is game managing not to lose. That works until the opposition is able to make adjustments and steal a win, because our HC didn't push the envelope with the lead. This game management places all the emphasize on the D being able to lead the team to victory. As we have seen/heard, the games are boring for the casual fan. At some point our HC better figure out that it much better to play to win, as it is an entertainment business that has local competition.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Some perspective from a fan who watched in Ottawa......

When the Redblacks get going in the win department, I would not want to play as a visiting team. Right now the crowd just isn't in to it in terms of cheering on their defence the way crowds in other cities seem to do.

This was my first time ever watching a game where both teams share the same sideline. Changes the game from a fan perspecitve. Must make it tough to do changes (ala the long change in the second period of hockey games).

How did the officiating seem? IMO, it seemed like this crew was newish. For e.g. the Ref offered to let the RedBlacks call the coinflip. It just seemed in the stadium that the officiating was a barrier. Of course, on plays the Lions wanted to get a replay, we wouldn't see one on the replay screen. On missed calls ON THE LIONS, the play gets shown on a loop, again/again. So, IOW, the officiating seemed tough on the Lions but maybe watching the game on TV made this seem better. After all, I was notahomer even more than usual last night :wink:

Food/bevvies at the Redblacks stadium were cheap/cheerful....

My big question after a game like that....? Why did they name the stadium TD Place when it seems touchdowns don't get scored there too often.... :wink:
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:Some perspective from a fan who watched in Ottawa......

When the Redblacks get going in the win department, I would not want to play as a visiting team. Right now the crowd just isn't in to it in terms of cheering on their defence the way crowds in other cities seem to do.

This was my first time ever watching a game where both teams share the same sideline. Changes the game from a fan perspecitve. Must make it tough to do changes (ala the long change in the second period of hockey games).

How did the officiating seem? IMO, it seemed like this crew was newish. For e.g. the Ref offered to let the RedBlacks call the coinflip. It just seemed in the stadium that the officiating was a barrier. Of course, on plays the Lions wanted to get a replay, we wouldn't see one on the replay screen. On missed calls ON THE LIONS, the play gets shown on a loop, again/again. So, IOW, the officiating seemed tough on the Lions but maybe watching the game on TV made this seem better. After all, I was notahomer even more than usual last night :wink:

Food/bevvies at the Redblacks stadium were cheap/cheerful....

My big question after a game like that....? Why did they name the stadium TD Place when it seems touchdowns don't get scored there too often.... :wink:
I was hoping we'd hear from you, nota, knowing that you were at the game. On TV, it looked as if the crowd was into the game, but you'd know much better being there. It's good to see Ottawa selling out the stadium--and what looks like a very nice small stadium.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I am very disappointed at the playcalling of Khari Jones thus far this season. Too conservative. Where was the aggressive playcalling that promised by Benevides ?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

When two linemen make their first start in the same game as injury replacements, the results are usually bad, and the lack of cohesion and communication was evident from the first half.
Which is why you game plan accordingly. There are these amazing newfangled things called Tight Ends that line up next to offensive linemen and help them out in blocking oncoming defenders. Maybe make an effort to establish the run early. You know, the same things we've been kvetching over here since 2004. Perhaps the current staff should look into using them. Besides which, the new guy at LT wasn't really the problem until late in the game. We were getting killed at the Right Guard position, and Olafioye had a not very good night.
With the type of D players that we have, we should be running an aggressive D, but Washington is cheating the devil by using the freakish athleticism of all 3 of our LBs to shut down the middle of the field in the pass game.
And that strategy works if you have a front four that can apply consistent pressure on the opposing quarterback. We do not. This isn't that far removed from some of the issues we saw with Stubler's defenses, last year in particular. We're seventh in the league in sacks. That's indicative of a front four whose performance is inconsistent.
With a weak offence (and let's face it, its not going to change) to win in the playoffs our D
There's a plausible scenario where we win in the playoffs?
And OTT did a great job limiting Tim Brown's effect on the game...his only good return wasn't, as it took a penalty to spring him.
I'm going to flip the coin over and choose to view it as the chronic problem of our outside guys doing a terrible job of funneling oncoming rushers into suitable lanes. If I had to take a drink for how many times our return teams waved at opponents gunners and shouted "Ole!" this season, I'd be on the waiting list for a liver transplant.
Wonder how all the people who complained about Chappy feel after watching game after game with no TDs ?
Let's say you spend eight years in a relationship with someone who is physically abusive. Then, your next relationship is with an alcoholic. Do you spend a lot of time wistful for the days someone said I love you while they were beating you up? No? Then stop asking this stupid question.

Seriously. We've gone from an OC with a pat set of plays that had zero ability to adjust to opposing defenses but specialized in getting our slot receiver's bell rung once a week on drag routes to an OC with a pat set of plays thhat has zero ability to adjust to opposing defenses and specializes in not knowing how to use a bevy of running talent.

Do you know what I think? I think 'man, I'm glad Shawn Gore isn't out there getting concussed every other week like Jason Clermont used to.'
They also didnt replace Nick Moore
Courtney Taylor 43 receptions, 490 yards, 2 TDs
Nick Moore 39 receptions, 469 yards, 0 TDs

Why is this a problem again?
Hawkballer 14
Champion

cromartie wrote:Let's say you spend eight years in a relationship with someone who is physically abusive. Then, your next relationship is with an alcoholic. Do you spend a lot of time wistful for the days someone said I love you while they were beating you up? No? Then stop asking this stupid question.
Did you really use a domestic violence metaphor? Stay classy bro... (edited by Mod staff)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Its obvious how the Lions feel about this win. Exactly that a WIN.

How doesn't matter. The marketing department wants the games entertaining and exciting. The Coaching Staff/Players want WINS and thats that.

Nobodies saying the marketing deparments goals and the wins can't co-exist. I sure hope the rematch is better here in Vancouver.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

At least the Lions scored more points than the Bells (Whitecaps). How would you like to be a fan of that team right now ? Shut out 4 games straight.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The joy of a win often masks deficiencies and but for a huge hit by Solly on the 1 yard line and a divine intervention by the weather on Ottawa's FG attempt, then it would have been a disgusting loss instead of a feeble "A win is a win".

I have never felt so down as a result of a Lions win. And that is not even factoring in Lulay's injury.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:The joy of a win often masks deficiencies and but for a huge hit by Solly on the 1 yard line and a divine intervention by the weather on Ottawa's FG attempt, then it would have been a disgusting loss instead of a feeble "A win is a win".

I have never felt so down as a result of a Lions win. And that is not even factoring in Lulay's injury.
I was STUNNED at the miscue on the FG attempt. The weather (rain-wise) turned awful in a hurry from my view in the stadium.
Blitz
Team Captain

:beauty:
cromartie wrote:
When two linemen make their first start in the same game as injury replacements, the results are usually bad, and the lack of cohesion and communication was evident from the first half.
Which is why you game plan accordingly. There are these amazing newfangled things called Tight Ends that line up next to offensive linemen and help them out in blocking oncoming defenders. Maybe make an effort to establish the run early. You know, the same things we've been kvetching over here since 2004. Perhaps the current staff should look into using them. Besides which, the new guy at LT wasn't really the problem until late in the game. We were getting killed at the Right Guard position, and Olafioye had a not very good night.
With the type of D players that we have, we should be running an aggressive D, but Washington is cheating the devil by using the freakish athleticism of all 3 of our LBs to shut down the middle of the field in the pass game.
And that strategy works if you have a front four that can apply consistent pressure on the opposing quarterback. We do not. This isn't that far removed from some of the issues we saw with Stubler's defenses, last year in particular. We're seventh in the league in sacks. That's indicative of a front four whose performance is inconsistent.
With a weak offence (and let's face it, its not going to change) to win in the playoffs our D
There's a plausible scenario where we win in the playoffs?
And OTT did a great job limiting Tim Brown's effect on the game...his only good return wasn't, as it took a penalty to spring him.
I'm going to flip the coin over and choose to view it as the chronic problem of our outside guys doing a terrible job of funneling oncoming rushers into suitable lanes. If I had to take a drink for how many times our return teams waved at opponents gunners and shouted "Ole!" this season, I'd be on the waiting list for a liver transplant.
Wonder how all the people who complained about Chappy feel after watching game after game with no TDs ?
Let's say you spend eight years in a relationship with someone who is physically abusive. Then, your next relationship is with an alcoholic. Do you spend a lot of time wistful for the days someone said I love you while they were beating you up? No? Then stop asking this stupid question.

Seriously. We've gone from an OC with a pat set of plays that had zero ability to adjust to opposing defenses but specialized in getting our slot receiver's bell rung once a week on drag routes to an OC with a pat set of plays thhat has zero ability to adjust to opposing defenses and specializes in not knowing how to use a bevy of running talent.

Do you know what I think? I think 'man, I'm glad Shawn Gore isn't out there getting concussed every other week like Jason Clermont used to.'
They also didnt replace Nick Moore
Courtney Taylor 43 receptions, 490 yards, 2 TDs
Nick Moore 39 receptions, 469 yards, 0 TDs

Why is this a problem again?

:beauty: :beauty: :beauty: :beauty: :beauty: :beauty:

We had a whopping 13 penalties in the game and that is not disciplined football and reflective of the HC.

However Benevedes seems to be in complete denial....here is a quote from him in the Province

“When you walk away from this and as much as you’ll want to rip this (game) up, it’s 7-5 and we fought adversity with outstanding, smart football,” he said. “I really don’t give a damn about anything else.”

Smart outstanding football Benny? ...did you watch our offence during the game....there was nothing smart or outstanding about it. :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Lowell Ullrich ...
Glenn also knows he’s a target if offensive line coach Dan Dorazio can’t find ways protect him, which also has the added effect of shutting down the running game.

“Worst game I’ve ever played in. I’m embarrassed,” said tailback Andrew Harris, who has just 54 yards on the ground in three games and is starting to show the same frustration that wiped out the first half of last season when he was neglected in the offensive scheme of former co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine.

“We failed on a lot of levels. We need to be a lot better than this. This is not great football right now. I don’t even know what to do about it.”

With 50 yards from five scramble runs, Lulay had almost as much yardage on the ground Friday as Harris has had in nearly a month, and because of Harris’ inability to produce the Lions wound up giving as many carries to Stefan Logan.

The roster switch that put receiver Kito Poblah on the field failed miserably. Rookie left tackle Cory Brandon didn’t erase the memory of Ryan Cave. Right guard Cody Husband didn’t do anything to think a move away from Dean Valli, who only played on the short-yardage unit to limit a back issue, is imminent either.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

MY post was deleted???
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:At least the Lions scored more points than the Bells (Whitecaps).
Or, one may think that given the cities involved and the score, it was:

Canucks 7
Senators 5
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。