Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

DeMarcus Ware to the Broncos for big dollars. Josh McCown to the Bucs. Marc Trestman now needs to find a quality backup for the somewhat-brittle Jay Cutler. Patriots looking hard at Darrelle Revis. I guess losing Aqib Talib has made this necessary.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Golden Tate's gone - to the Lions:

Lions strike five-year deal with Golden Tate

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 12, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT

The defending Super Bowl champions are losing one of their key passing game targets.

The Lions and Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate have reached a five-year contract, multiple media outlets reported Wednesday.

Tate told ESPN’s Josina Anderson that the contract is for $31.25 million and includes $13.25 million in guarantees.

DetroitLions.com first reported that the club had the makings of a deal with Tate, and ESPN first confirmed completion of the agreement.

Tate, 25, caught 64 passes for 898 yards and five touchdowns for Seattle in 2013. He was the No. 26 overall player and the No. 2 wide receiver on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100.

Tate (5-10, 202) will be the primary complement to Lions go-to receiver Calvin Johnson in the Detroit passing game. The Lions have lacked consistent quality receiver play beyond Johnson in recent seasons. Veteran Nate Burleson, who was the most reliable wideout other than Johnson, was released earlier in the offseason.

Now, Tate will get his shot to fill the role opposite of Johnson, who draws considerable attention from opposing secondaries.

That's too bad for the Seahawks, but at $6.25M per year, they were probably wise to pass. I think the 'Hawks' upper limit on Tate was probably something like $5M/year. This frees up some money to go after a No. 1 receiver. I think the Lions overpaid, and, once again, the Seahawks have shown restraint in spending. Long-term, I think that's a good thing. The Lions won't go anywhere in 2014 IMO, with the Bears and Packers in their division and a somewhat-erratic quarterback in Matthew Stafford.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seahawks re-sign DT Tony McDaniel. Good move with Clinton McDonald and Red Bryant gone from the 2013 D-line.

Seahawks also sign WR Taylor Price (Combine scouting report below), once a 3rd-rnd. draft pick of the Patriots. He's had repeated injury issues (foot) and has been a bust so far in the NFL. If he's healthy, he could be successful with the Seahawks. He's 6-1, 200 lbs., and is a lightning-fast 4.40. My guess is that they didn't have to pay much to get him. I think we'll see the 'Hawks bring in a number of receivers to compete for Tate's job.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=WR
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think the Lions divisional opponents are going to regret Tate's signing more than the Seahawks will losing him.....
_________________________________________________________-
The early WINNER for this years Free Agent Frenzy is the Buc's. Really have changed up their division and perhaps even the NFC. Then again, buying people DOESN"T ALWAYS make your team better......
Steve Smith looks like he's being shown the door in Carolina. Would he fit with the Seahawks? He's certainly the BURNER that many think the Seahawks could use. According to the NFL network pundits....Patriots are his most likely landing spot
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
...........Brings to mind "Moneyball." Just happened to catch it on TV the other night. Had heard about Bill James before of course. Some interesting stuff in there regarding the economics of winning with a low salary budget, and about the use of statistics in building a baseball team. .....
Yes, I caught it too. In fact, I went to watch Moneyball when it came out IN THE THEATRE, just because the concept of stats/economics interested me. Baseball is probably my least favourite professional sport but I loved the movie.

I have read and enjoyed some of the content on footballoutsiders.com as it pertains to their attempts at James-like stats for football. They do discuss some of those things that are considered almost EVIL, like going for it on 4th down etc... Would love to have them (football outsiders) do some tweaking and pontificating on CFL stats, issues.......
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:I think the Lions divisional opponents are going to regret Tate's signing more than the Seahawks will losing him.....
Could be. I think Golden will miss the chance to play on a sure-fire winner; the Lions have stunk for a long time now and I suspect they will continue to in the near future. Another thing that works a bit for the Seahawks (but obviously didn't re Tate) is that Washington State has no state income tax. So you take home a higher percentage of your gross income there. I'd be really interested in what the Seahawks offered Tate. If they had offered him $5.5M/year, that might not be far from the $6M+ he got in Detroit, but maybe they low-balled him. Hard to say. And you'd have to think that living in Detroit can't be close--in quality of life--to living in Seattle. A bit of a surprising development IMO.
notahomer wrote:Steve Smith looks like he's being shown the door in Carolina. Would he fit with the Seahawks? He's certainly the BURNER that many think the Seahawks could use. According to the NFL network pundits....Patriots are his most likely landing spot
I'd be really surprised to see Steve Smith land in Seattle. He'll be 35 this season, is small, at 5-9, 185 lbs., and will expect a big contract, I imagine. He certainly was a burner at the beginning of his career (turned in a 4.39 at the combine), but must have lost a lot of that by now. The other problem with Smith is that he's high-maintenance--not exactly what you want if you can avoid it. Not at all consistent with the Seahawks' previous player-acquisition methods.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darrelle Revis to the Patriots on a one-year deal:

Report: Darrelle Revis agrees to one-year deal with Patriots
Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 12, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT

Well, that didn’t take long.

Ex-Buccaneers cornerback Darrelle Revis has come to terms on a one-year, $12 million contract with the Patriots, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Wednesday night.

Revis was slated to make $16 million with the Buccaneers in 2014, so it appears he may have taken a pay cut. However, he can hit the market again next offseason.

Revis, who turns 29 in July, is widely regarded as one of the NFL’s top cover corners — a player capable of covering top receivers all over the field. He has intercepted 21 passes in seven NFL seasons.

For the Patriots, this is the ultimate counterpunch after the Broncos signed away cornerback Aqib Talib on the first day of free agency. It also prevents a Jets-Revis reunion.

And does it ever set up a showdown in Foxborough between Denver and New England in the 2014 regular season.

$12M! Yikes, can you imagine what Richard Sherman will try to extort from the Seahawks next year? :sigh:

Revis will be a bit of an upgrade over Aqib Talib, lost to the Broncos.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seahawks lose another starter: RT Breno Giacomini to the Jets. Giacomini has not been a great RT for the Seahawks, and they have Michael Bowie (6-4, 332 lbs.) who played the position reasonably well as a rookie last year when Giacomini was out with injury. I don't see much of a drop-off, if any, with this loss.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
notahomer wrote:Steve Smith looks like he's being shown the door in Carolina. Would he fit with the Seahawks? He's certainly the BURNER that many think the Seahawks could use. According to the NFL network pundits....Patriots are his most likely landing spot
I'd be really surprised to see Steve Smith land in Seattle. He'll be 35 this season, is small, at 5-9, 185 lbs., and will expect a big contract, I imagine. He certainly was a burner at the beginning of his career (turned in a 4.39 at the combine), but must have lost a lot of that by now. The other problem with Smith is that he's high-maintenance--not exactly what you want if you can avoid it. Not at all consistent with the Seahawks' previous player-acquisition methods.
--------
I hear ya. And the NFL network guys were ranting about what a great year it is for recievers, maybe you get your rocketman via the draft.....
South Pender wrote: $12M! Yikes, can you imagine what Richard Sherman will try to extort from the Seahawks next year? :sigh:.....
I guess that will be what the market wants. I won't be at all surprised if the Seahawks choose to not keep Sherman. They'll need $$$ for Wilson.........
South Pender
Legend

Nothing major and specific to report. The landscape of the NFL has shifted significantly in the past 3-4 days of free agency. The Bucs seem to have picked up the most new faces that could make a difference, including a couple (or is it more?) of Seahawks.

The Bears have lost a few players. Their priority this off-season has to be defense. Julius Peppers was cut and resurfaced in Green Bay. His replacement is Lamarr Houston, but whether he'll be able to bring what Peppers did is a question. DT Henry Melton still hasn't signed back with the Bears, and the Seahawks would like to get him.

Green Bay, as noted, has picked up Julius Peppers (which I think will really help Dom Capers' D) and B. J. Raji has signed back on. Sam Shields is back at corner. The Pack stands to lose a little on offense, with Jermichael Finley being carefully looked-at by the Seahawks and James Jones still unsigned. Jones is a guy I'd like to see in Seattle.

The Seahawks have lost some good players (the curse of being a successful team--the value of all the players rises): Red Bryant, Clinton McDonald, and Chris Clemons on D. If they can snag Henry Melton, they will be OK, I think, on the D-line, but still need more help to get back to being dominant. They've also lost Golden Tate. The good news is that Zach Miller has taken a big salary cut to remain, and, if they can get Jermichael Finley (and he's fit to play), we might see some productive double tight-end formations like those that worked so well for NE when Gronk was healthy and Hernandez was a free man. The 'Hawks have two good backup TEs in Luke Willson and Anthony McCoy. Rumor has it that the 'Hawks might bring Sidney Rice back at a reduced price.

Still, free agency is not over yet, and there's still the possibility of trades. And, of course, the draft.

Here's the latest version of Pro Football Talk:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/
South Pender
Legend

Some interesting stuff about Jim Irsay, owner of the Colts (all from Pro Football Talk):

1. Jim Irsay arrested for DUI, possession of controlled substance
Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2014, 8:17 AM EDT

Colts owner Jim Irsay has been arrested in Carmel, Indiana on multiple charges.

According to the Indianapolis Star, Irsay faces preliminary charges of “operating while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance.” Bond has been set at $22,500.

Irsay is the first NFL owner to face criminal charges since Eddie DeBartolo relinquished control of the 49ers when it was learned that he was facing an indictment on federal racketeering charges in 1997. In 1998, DeBartolo pleaded guilty to failure to report a felony in connection with money allegedly paid to former Louisiana governor Edwin Edwards to procure a riverboat gambling license.

The NFL routinely imposes discipline on players and non-players who are convicted of or plead guilty to DUI charges. To have any credibility when punishing non-owners for such offenses, the NFL must be willing to impose discipline on owners, too.

When players are arrested for drunk driving, one of the arguments raised is that they can afford to pay for a ride home. With a net worth of $1.6 billion, Irsay definitely can.

2. League says Irsay will be subject to discipline
Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

The NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy applies to players. And to non-players. And, as the league office has confirmed via email, to owners.

For players, discipline for alcohol-related arrests currently is imposed under the substance-abuse policy. Non-players still fall under the Personal Conduct Policy, which the NFL beefed up and revised in 2007.

“All persons associated with the NFL are required to avoid ‘conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League,’” the policy states. “This requirement applies to players, coaches, other team employees, owners, game officials, and all others privileged to work in the National Football League.” (Emphasis added.)

The policy requires all persons arrested or charged to “undergo a formal clinical evaluation,” which could result in a possible requirement to participate in treatment. While the policy states that’s not part of the discipline, failure to comply with any directives will be a “separate and independent basis for discipline.”

Other coaches and executives have been discipline for DUI in recent years, including Matt Russell and Tom Heckert of the Broncos and Tom Lewand of the Lions.

Lewand, the Lions president, was suspended 30 days and fined $100,000. The suspension later was reduced to 21 days.

For an owner, the process likely becomes a bit more complicated. A suspension doesn’t really mean anything. A fine would have to be significant to get the attention of someone with a net worth of $1.6 billion.

But there’s a danger in going too far. Taking away draft picks or cap space would be unfair to the rest of the employees, the players, and the fans.

Regardless, the NFL has found itself in new territory with this one. But it’s important that the NFL not create the impression that a double standard exists between disciplining players and non-players, especially when the non-player is an owner.

3. Jim Irsay still in jail, can post bond and be released this afternoon
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 17, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT

Colts owner Jim Irsay remains in an Indiana jail this morning and will likely have spent about 14 hours there before he is released.

Authorities told WISH TV that Irsay was arrested at 11:41 p.m. Sunday and that the earliest he could be released from Hamilton County Jail is 1:30 p.m. Monday.

Bond for Irsay was set at $22,500, and he is expected to post that bond this afternoon.

Irsay was arrested in Carmel, Indiana, which borders Indianapolis. He faces four felony counts of possession of a controlled substance and one misdemeanor count of operating while intoxicated.

4. Colts owner has admitted painkiller addiction in the past
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 17, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT

Colts owner Jim Irsay’s arrest this morning on DUI and possession of a controlled substance charges might have been his first brush with the law.

But it’s far from his first cry for help.

Irsay admitted abusing prescription painkillers in 2002, saying he sought treatment for his addiction.

“After several years of orthopedic operations and procedures, accompanied by long bouts of chronic pain, I became dependent on prescription pain medications,” he said in a statement at the time. “I have successfully dealt with my dependence and my chronic pain issues. This has been a personal journey, and I ask that my privacy, as well as that of my family, be respected on this health issue.”

Irsay has also bragged on Twitter about not having a drink in 15 years, but this morning’s arrest suggests something was in his system.

5. Colts issue statement on Jim Irsay arrest
Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

When an NFL player is arrested, his team typically issues a perfunctory, non-committal statement. For the first time in the full-blown age of the Internet, an owner has been arrested.

And the Colts have issued a perfunctory, non-committal statement.

“We are gathering information at this time regarding last night’s incident involving Jim Irsay,” the statement reads. “The team will issue additional statements when the facts are sorted and we are aware of the next steps to this process. Many fans have reached out to express their concern and we appreciate their support.”

It’s unclear who is speaking on behalf of the organization when the owner is the subject of the statement. That gives an odd and surreal quality to a situation that is already odd and surreal.

The NFL will be walking a fine line here, balancing discipline against assistance and, ultimately, fairness to the Colts franchise. However, at a time when the league office has insisted on a high standard of conduct from players, the league office can’t afford to be perceived as anything other than consistent in the treatment given to an owner.

6. Source describes Jim Irsay as “a sick, sick man”
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 17, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT

Colts owner Jim Irsay hasn’t bailed out of jail yet, and already word is creeping out about what has apparently been a long and losing fight with drug addiction.

According to Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star, Irsay’s arrest for driving under the influence and four counts of drug possession was a “sad inevitability” to those close to him.

“He’s a sick, sick man,” one source told Kravitz. “He desperately needs help.”

Those around Irsay had been leaning on him in recent years to get help, or at least get a driver. But even as he withered physically, he resisted the suggestion anything was wrong.

He lost 70 pounds, down to 165, but explained it away by saying his doctor wanted him to lose weight to take the pressure off his bad back.

Kravitz paints the picture of a man very much in denial, and enabled by the many people he employed.

But it’s becoming clear that Irsay’s bizarre Twitter ramblings, which are easy to make fun of (trust us, we know), are also a hint at some of the issues he was dealing with, which are deeper than anyone was willing to admit or confront before he was arrested.

We may now have the answer to the many really weird tweets we've seen from Jim Irsay over the years.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

There really does need to be a clear statement that players don't have to live to a stricter standard than the owners, IMO.

DWI or DUI (depending on juristiction) is something I feel is a bigger deal than some. Since drinking BOOZE is legal, I guess that is the door some feel is a 'get out of jail' free card. However, IMO, being intoxicated while operating a vehicle is a huge CRIME. You are not only putting your life at risk but also the lives of the others on the road at the same time.

I wonder if NFL owners are subject to the drug tests? In some ways I think they should. The ONLY reason why owners should be subject to drug tests is that the players making up their teams are subject to those tests. I think an owner could really set an example by stating, 'you have to do this, so do I'.........
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -laughable

Apparently the Seahawks offer to free agent Golden Tate was 'laughable'. Okay, I get it, its a business. IMO, the Seahawks have had to lose some BIG pieces (not irreplaceable but BIG, nonetheless) this off-season. I hope Tate does well catching passes from Manning but, IMO, if the Seahawks don't repeat, IT WON'T BE because they didn't break the bank for Tate.......
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -laughable

Apparently the Seahawks offer to free agent Golden Tate was 'laughable'. Okay, I get it, its a business. IMO, the Seahawks have had to lose some BIG pieces (not irreplaceable but BIG, nonetheless) this off-season. I hope Tate does well catching passes from Manning but, IMO, if the Seahawks don't repeat, IT WON'T BE because they didn't break the bank for Tate.......
It's a shame to lose Golden Tate, but he's not really worth as much as he thinks he is. He considers himself a No. 1 receiver, something he'll never be IMO. I'm betting the Seahawks offered him something in the $4M range. That's about what a good No. 2 is worth. It's interesting that earlier, Tate announced that he'd give a "home town discount" to stay in Seattle and play for a winner, rather than go to a "crappy city." I'm not sure that there's a "crappier" city these days than Detroit, but that's where he'll be trying to catch passes from Matt Stafford and losing a lot of games in the tough North division of the NFC. One thing about Tate: although he was a very good player, he was an immature guy (remember the taunting after big catches last year) and, I think, a bit of an a**hole, and that may have had a bearing on how much the 'Hawks were willing to pay him. It was generally conceded by the football pundits that it would take $5M-$6M to keep Tate, and I'm not surprised that John Schneider and Pete Carroll wouldn't spring for that much.

Really, Schneider's and Carroll's hands were tied. They had to secure Earl Thomas, and prepare to secure Richard Sherman and Russell Wilson next year. They had to pinch their pennies to retain the core of their winning team and build "for the long haul" as John Schneider noted a while back. Unlike the Broncos, the Seahawks can't and don't have a "win now" philosophy (pretty much necessary in Denver, as how many more years does Peyton Manning have?). They're building to be good for a long time.

It's hard to tell whether they'll be diminished or not after free agency ends, all trades are completed, and the draft is done. At this point, they have about $15M in cap money--about in the middle of the pack in terms of money left. So we may see some more acquisitions that will make the loss of Golden Tate seem less important. Pete Carroll likes big receivers, and we may see a guy like Kenny Britt come to the 'Hawks; there are still receivers out there, and there are lots in this year's draft. The one acquisition I'd love to see is Jared Allen, who has visited with the Seahawks and the Cowboys (with the report that he likely won't sign with the 'Boys). The 'Hawks are retaining all their backers and secondary (except for Thurmond, who can be replaced), but have lost a little from the D-line. Allen would fix that.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
notahomer wrote: ... hope Tate does well catching passes from Manning but, IMO, if the Seahawks don't repeat, IT WON'T BE because they didn't break the bank for Tate.......
It's a shame to lose Golden Tate, but he's not really worth as much as he thinks he is.
....Really, Schneider's and Carroll's hands were tied. They had to secure Earl Thomas, and prepare to secure Richard Sherman and Russell Wilson next year. They had to pinch their pennies to retain the core of their winning team and build "for the long haul" as John Schneider noted a while back. Unlike the Broncos, the Seahawks can't and don't have a "win now" philosophy (pretty much necessary in Denver, as how many more years does Peyton Manning have?). They're building to be good for a long time........
:bang: Why I thought he'd gone to Denver I'll never know, I KNOW he went to Detroit (brainfart on my part).

I concur with your comments regarding Tate not being worth what he is getting and needing to save for other pieces of the puzzle too. Given a choice between losing Tate and some of the other guys.... Seeya Tate, you'll get your ring in the mail.....

Seattle did re-sign their kicker (at 3 million per, IIRC).

Back to Tate. DeSean Jackson of the Eagles maybe getting shopped. Certainly been a topic of discussion for a few seasons. Certainly their #1 reciever too. But he's making 5 million MORE per season than Megatron :shock: and some of the other top rated recievers in the NFL.

I hope that a new trend starts happening in the NFL and that is more wage parity. Football is a team game and I hope teams will realize by paying a few players HUGE contracts, it will just limit you in terms of keeping a functional team. Maybe the new gameplan is a core of strong CHEAP rookies and a small circle of VETS that you can then break the bank for. I certainly prefer this over the old method which seemed to be 1st rounders get paid REGARDLESS of success. When they didn't pan out, the team lost a lot of money and time, perhaps keeping them from progressing.
_________________________________________________________________-
Saw Kevin Costner on Path to the Draft (NFL network). Claims football has been something he's followed for decades. I know I'm going to get laughed at (especially by my non-football friends) but I HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE! It just intrigues me the way Moneyball (Brad Pitt) did a few years ago. I HATE baseball but I loved the concept behind the movie and made sure to watch it in theatre. I have a similar feeling regarding this movie (Draft Day)..........
South Pender
Legend

Jared Allen is coming back to Seattle for a second visit, according to Pro Football Talk today. Sounds encouraging. Stay tuned.

Edit: Update. Damn, he left Seattle unsigned. Says he's going to think about the Seahawks' offer and others and make a decision over the weekend. The guessing is that the Seahawks' offer was low, well below what Jared has played for in the past. John Schneider has a reputation for not paying top dollar and keeping things in line financially (although the Percy Harvin signing would seem to have been an aberration), so his assumed low offer to Allen is true to form. The hope is, I guess, that the chance to play with a serious contender will override the low (by Allen's standards, ridiculously high by everyone else's) contract offer. We'll see, I guess. He'd make a huge contribution to an already-good defense IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get out your wallets, guys; Silverdome urinals for sale.

Silverdome urinals for sale, but don’t ask Barry Sanders to sign one
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT

What do you get for the Lions fan who has everything? If he’s already got the Lions’ terrible 2013 calendar or a shirt commemorating their undefeated 2008 preseason, you could buy him a Silverdome urinal.

Yes, the owners of the Pontiac Silverdome, the once state-of-the-art stadium that has been largely vacant since the Lions moved to Ford Field in 2002, are selling off its parts to collectors. Those parts include everything from stadium seats (because who wouldn’t want to sit in an uncomfortable stadium seat while watching a Lions game from the comfort of home?) to the scoreboard (because we all have room in our houses for stadium scoreboards) to the urinals (because . . . well, I’m not sure why).

Now, the bad news: That Lions fan who has everything would surely want that urinal to be signed by the greatest player ever to play at the Silverdome, Barry Sanders. But Sanders has already made clear that if you see a Barry Sanders autographed urinal for sale on eBay, it’s a fake.

Sanders wrote on Twitter, “FYI – I am not signing urinals.”

There surely are fans crazy enough to buy a Barry Sanders-autographed Silverdome urinal. Heck, I’m one of those fans. I grew up in the Detroit area and saw my first NFL game at the Silverdome (and I even saw Hulk Hogan body slam Andre the Giant there at WrestleMania III). I’d be willing to pay good money for a Barry Sanders-autographed Silverdome urinal.

But it won’t happen. If I decide to splurge on a Silverdome urinal, it won’t have a Barry Sanders signature. Maybe I could get Billy Sims to autograph it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lance Moore to the Steelers. I'm posting this mainly b/c Lance is former BC Lion Nick Moore's older brother. (Lance has been a star in NO.)

Steelers land Lance Moore with two-year deal
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 21, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT

The Steelers lost a valuable role player when Jerricho Cotchery chose a Panthers offer.

They found a similar version Friday.

The Steelers signed former Saints wideout Lance Moore to a two-year deal.

Moore was released by the Saints after a 37-catch season, but he had averaged 61 catches a year the previous three years.

The 30-year-old Moore didn’t get much interest in the market, as the Steelers were his only visit. Now, he’ll have a chance to work out of the slot the way Cotchery did, which worked for 10 touchdowns last season.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm having a tough time getting through Steeler dynasty week, in part due to their victory over the Seahawks in one Superbowl. The end of Steeler week can't come quick enough.....
Incognito is sure hoping and thinking he'll be signed. I figure something has to come down from the NFL before he'll be allowed to play/sign. WOuld you sign him only to find out he's suspended/whatever. Better to wait even though it sucks from his perspective. I'm not crying for him.....

notahomer wrote:I'm having a tough time getting through Steeler dynasty week, in part due to their victory over the Seahawks in one Superbowl. The end of Steeler week can't come quick enough.....
Incognito is sure hoping and thinking he'll be signed. I figure something has to come down from the NFL before he'll be allowed to play/sign. WOuld you sign him only to find out he's suspended/whatever. Better to wait even though it sucks from his perspective. I'm not crying for him.....

"Asked [presumably by a reporter] what the Jets are getting in Vick, he [Vick] didn’t hesitate.

'They’re getting a great football player and a great person,' Vick said."

Now isn't that just a lovely piece of hubris! You know, I had been cheering for Vick when he came back after prison, hoping he'd do well and get his life straightened out, but comments like that may well change my mind about the guy. "A great football player and a great person." Wow, just wow! :shock: Couldn't these guys just show a little modesty (even if they don't believe it)? Couldn't he have said something like: "They're getting a guy who will give his best to help the team win." Or something like that. Pride: the most serious of the seven deadly sins (Catholic ethics); the never-failing vice of fools (Alexander Pope).

Re Incognito, evidently the NFL will require an assessment by medical/psychological experts before he's allowed to play. In my opinion, that will happen, and he'll sign on somewhere. I don't think the NFL wants a lawsuit from Incognito over this.
South Pender
Legend

Here's a piece, from Pro Football Talk, that I found a little surprising:

Steve Smith buys ad in paper, says he’ll always be a Panther

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 22, 2014, 8:12 AM EDT

Steve Smith’s departure from the Panthers was rather unceremonious, but he wanted to make sure he said a temporary goodbye to Panthers fans.

The now-Ravens wide receiver bought an ad in today’s Charlotte Observer, which Bill Voth of SportsXchange got his hands on last night, which thanked Panthers fans for their support.

Calling it “a difficult time for me and my family,” Smith said he was “so humbled and blessed by the love you all have shown in so many ways.”

“I will always consider myself a Carolina Panther,” he wrote, “and I look forward to the day when I get to come home to celebrate my career, and retire in the city I’ve grown to love and appreciate very much.”

It’s clear that any bitterness Smith might have is between him and Panthers General Manager Dave Gettleman, but he’s put down roots in Charlotte, and the area has accepted him throughout a career of ups and downs and highlights on the field.

This piece got a lot of thumbs up in the comments section after it. And I think it's nice that Smith was gracious with the Panthers' fans. What I found surprising, though, is how it will affect Ravens' fans, now that he's been traded to the Ravens and will happily accept millions from them (actually $11.5M over three years). I'm not sure I'd be happy to see a player join our Lions, for example, but announce that he will always be a Roughrider. It's one thing for a player to be brought back for a one-day retirement ceremony by a team that he played for for many years, even though he moved on to another team for the last couple of years of his career (what we all expect will probably happen with Geroy Simon), but it seems to me that, if a player accepts an offer to play for another team with the huge financial consequences involved, he should consider himself a Raven (in this case) until he retires or moves on.