2014 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:Ted Laurent (NFL workouts planned)
Alex Hall (same, I believe)
Luca Congi (can provide us much better range on our FGs, kick-offs)
Cordarro Law (Suits mentioned him last night in a radio interview)

DH :cool:
Not sure Congi delivers the way you think. I don't think his range is any better than McCallum's. His KO average was 1/2 a yard better than McCallum last year and his longest FG was 46 yards. Congi was 1 for 6 outside 45 yards last year and hasn't made anything over 48 since he got to work with Mosaic tailwinds as a Rider.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:
Well the strange/awkward but possibly encouraging thing is that Keron was an integral part of this morning's Grey Cup Committee branding announcement. Keron has created the most awesome looking Grey Cup 2014 logo. I was blown away. This year's slogan is "Roar On The Shore." Keron was brought up on stage and made a very nice speech about how it all came together that was very well received by the crowd.
You gotta think that Keron is coming back. It seems that he has set himself up well for a career in graphic design after football (he also designed a number of hats/toques at the tail end of last season), but I don't see them working closely with him and having him be a part of this unveiling if neither side had any intentions of working together this season. Would just be too weird.

David wrote: As discouraged as I am about the first couple of days, you're absolutely right Pauser. It's not over yet and there are 4 players among your list that I would go hard after (in order):

Ted Laurent (NFL workouts planned)

I agree with your main targets. I don't know how likely it is that both Laurent and Hall make the NFL, though there is always the possibility that they stick around long enough to be useless for the 2014 season. Assuming Williams re-signs we still have him, Khreem Smith and Chris Wilson on the ends, and Eric Taylor and Jabar Westerman on the interior (do we still have Jermaine Reid?). Don't forget we also have Adrian Awasom coming to camp this year so we might be able to get away with the personnel that we have. Chris Wilson with a full training camp, and Keron Williams focusing solely on his DE position should see both players improved this year. Not sure Smith is the answer on the other DE side, so an upgrade there would be nice.
Roar you Lions roar!
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:
lion24 wrote:I am assuming Keron Williams is a goner too. I will always support the team and have through some lean years but it is frustrating when the organization seems to be mailing in the season. I have seen this with the Eskimos over the past few years living here :bang:
Well the strange/awkward but possibly encouraging thing is that Keron was an integral part of this morning's Grey Cup Committee branding announcement. Keron has created the most awesome looking Grey Cup 2014 logo. I was blown away. This year's slogan is "Roar On The Shore." Keron was brought up on stage and made a very nice speech about how it all came together that was very well received by the crowd.

The_Pauser wrote:
Still lots of interesting FA's available so it's not over yet. Players who could help us:

Ted Laurant (if he doesn't catch on in the NFL), Alex Hall (ditto), Cordarro Law, Luca Congi, Robert McCune, and Jovon Johnson might be attractive if he could shift to the safety spot.
As discouraged as I am about the first couple of days, you're absolutely right Pauser. It's not over yet and there are 4 players among your list that I would go hard after (in order):

Ted Laurent (NFL workouts planned)

Cordarro Law would solve our problems at the DE position. Big enough, I think at around 260, and very fast and quick. He has also been--or will be--worked-out by some NFL teams--the Falcons, Ravens, Jaguars, and Patriots, as far as I know.
David
Team Captain

Agreed Pauser. With Keron back (who's one season removed from being the CFL sack leader - a year in which he bulked up to effectively become in ineffective 'tweener'), I am not as down on the D-line as MLF and some other Lionbackers. That said, we still need a stud zero technique or nosetackle to line up over center and stuff the run (hello Ted Laurent?), but overall we still have a lot to choose from last year's starters and PR. Let's hope the off-season FA camps yield an outstanding prospect or two.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:Agreed Pauser. With Keron back (who's one season removed from being the CFL sack leader - a year in which he bulked up to effectively become in ineffective 'tweener'), I am not as down on the D-line as MLF and some other Lionbackers. That said, we still need a stud zero technique or nosetackle to line up over center and stuff the run (hello Ted Laurent?), but overall we still have a lot to choose from last year's starters and PR. Let's hope the off-season FA camps yield an outstanding prospect or two.

I think a zero-technique guy has to be a nose tackle, and I don't see this with a 4-man front. I think you want to put a guy into the A-gap, maybe, but I see a big 2- or 3-technique guy as more necessary. I'm not sure we have anyone presently who we can count on to be a reliable run-stopper, certainly not an import. Eric Taylor's skills seem to be fading. A Ted Laurent would be the answer. I'm with MLF on this; I think our defensive front is very weak. I think that this past NFL season has shown the value of a big, unyielding front four--the Seahawks being one of the best examples. With that, you can just blow up offensive plays so much more easily and can give your secondary a better chance of picking off (or at least deflecting) passes. A dominant D-line is half the battle, in my opinion, in building a winner.
lion24
Legend

Keron Williams has not been acquired by anyone and has not resigned yet with BC.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CFL.ca Staff
#CFLFA14

CALGARY -- Calgary Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel announced the signing of free-agent import defensive back Joshua Bell. As per team policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Bell spent the first two years of his CFL career with the BC Lions and made 16 starts at halfback during the 2013 regular season, accumulating 45 tackles, including four tackles for loss, four special-teams tackles, four pass knockdowns and one interception.

The 29-year-old Los Angeles native also started the Western Semi-Final against Saskatchewan and recorded four tackles.

Related Links
Bio: Joshua Bell
Rewind: Bell licking his chops for BC
2014 Free Agent Tracker
Prior to coming to the CFL, Bell played 13 games in the National Football League including nine for the Denver Broncos in 2008 and four with the Green Bay Packers in 2009.

“Joshua is a talented player with experience on both sides of the border who has established himself as a very good CFL player,” said Hufnagel. “With the departure of several members of our secondary this off-season, he has an excellent opportunity to step in and play an important role with us this season.”

Before turning pro, Bell spent four seasons at Baylor (2004-07) and played a total of 46 games. As a senior, he recorded 61 total tackles and broke up 10 passes. For his career, he had 93 tackles, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

“I’m very happy to be joining the Stampeders,” said Bell. “They were the best team in the league last season, they have a great front four — which is a great help to us in the secondary — and I have a lot of respect for Coach Huff. And I’m really excited to play for Rich Stubler again. He was my defensive coordinator the last two years in BC and I love playing for him.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“Joshua is a talented player with experience on both sides of the border who has established himself as a very good CFL player,” said Hufnagel. “With the departure of several members of our secondary this off-season, he has an excellent opportunity to step in and play an important role with us this season.”
Very good CFL player. Agreed.

“I’m very happy to be joining the Stampeders,” said Bell. “They were the best team in the league last season, they have a great front four — which is a great help to us in the secondary — and I have a lot of respect for Coach Huff. And I’m really excited to play for Rich Stubler again. He was my defensive coordinator the last two years in BC and I love playing for him.”
What the heck are our plans for this year?

Let's go with an aging D Line, an injury prone O Line, with some backups starting, and some soft spots in the secondary. Let's go without our leading receiver and with an ancient kicker. Let's do this with a new OC and DC.

Sounds great ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:Keron Williams has not been acquired by anyone and has not resigned yet with BC.

Does any other CFL team have money to spend? Maybe the Lions will clean up the leftovers simply because other teams have overspent? Not a way to do it, IMO.

It was funny watching Buono on the news yesterday. "We made a competitive offer" "Obviously I'm not happy we lost Nick (Moore) but we've got a good group of recievers".

I guess he could be right. Bighill just needed a chance to start and he's been AWESOME. Hopefully there are some nuggets of gold in our returning recievers. It takes awhile, IMO, to pick up this game so I guess we'll see how our 'good group of recievers' does........
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/02/12 ... for-lions/

WOW, thats a nice logo by Keron Williams, IMO......
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Jamal Johnson IS still available and would be a very nice addition...but hey, at this point, lint from Ottawa would make a nice addition...

And as to not getting carried away in FA, and FA not being the way to build championships...I agree...but again, over the last while the Lions haven't really excelled in anything...drafting or FA Camps...to sit back now and lay all that is obviously up for grabs on the CFL draft and 5 mini tryout camps around the US, is VERY risky...as I said from day 1, with the gaping holes this season, the Lions needed to nab 3 players from FA...so far, none...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Retweeted by Farhan Lalji
Shawn Gore ‏@SGore85 4h
@ryan_4real21 feel like we been robbed, and then the thieves came back the very next day
View conversation

Then these two nuggets from Phillips...

Ryan Phillips ‏@ryan_4real21 5h
Sometimes you gotta sit back and reflect and think wtf just happened?

Ryan Phillips ‏@ryan_4real21 4h
@SGore85 man bro it's been a tough two days seeing guys just bounce to other locations. Man what can you do? Just wish 4 the best I guess

This just in from Shawn Gore and Ryan Phillips...not good...what's Wally going to trade them too??? The players need to feel like we are going for it in our GC host year, not stand pat with JR LaRose...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Don't forget we also have Adrian Awasom coming to camp this year so we might be able to get away with the personnel that we have.
No. No. No. No. No. No. Did you see that defense at all last year? You can't go into the season with the interior of the defensive line as is and expect to compete. You can have some of the best linebackers in the league, and we do, and they're worthless without guys in front that can penetrate. We do not have that at this point. and we need to get it.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

MexicoLionFan wrote:This just in from Shawn Gore and Ryan Phillips...not good...what's Wally going to trade them too??? The players need to feel like we are going for it in our GC host year, not stand pat with JR LaRose...
They need to get over it in my opinion. They have as much clue as to what's going on as the fans in my opinion. If they were the GM they would've thrown 180k at Nick Moore. An obvious mistake. One of Gore's tweets said "Y'all are building a good team over there in Winnipeg." What? Because they got Nick Moore and a 35 year old defensive back in Banks? At that point, you have to take whatever Gore says over twitter and just completely discount it.

Plus if he's complaining, maybe he should turn his 130k contract into a 1000yds+ receiving season. Or take a paycut so we can sign more players.

That whole twitter exchange is laughable from a logic standpoint.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

On another note:

Bell got 110K from Calgary. We offered him 70k. (Can't name the source, but trust me). Ottawa was in the mix too, so that explains the 40k discrepancy.
Tells us one of two things:
1) How Wally views Bell as a football player.
or
2) We are seriously up against the salary cap.

I really hope it's the former.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.