2014 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

squishy35 wrote:
David wrote::bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

"Three sources now saying #BCLions have lost out on Craig Butler, who is destined for Hamilton." - LU

DH :cool:

nothing on TSN or CFL.ca yet......
That's getting desperate. It's being reported around the league, it is done. The lions screwed the pooch this FA.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

"Three sources now saying #BCLions have lost out on Craig Butler, who is destined for Hamilton." - LU

Brutal just brutal. IMHO this was one FA the Lions simply couldn't lose out on given the failures of Canadian safeties during Wally's tenure — Jason Crumb, Tad Crawford, JR Larose. Butler was a ratio buster capable of playing nickel too makes this one real tough to swallow.

Lions are giving the fans very little to be excited about this off season.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

LU reported yesterday that BC was going to be active in FA Day 1 but with LOTUSLAND offers...meaning, Wally was going to offer decent/average money to the FAs and hope to attract them by the quality of living, the players (Lulay), the team history, and the stadium...it didn't work...Day 1 is pretty much a major failure for Buono and resigning Keron Williams could turn out NOT to be a good thing...I was more than happy to see him go...

But I will leave you with this...I have really noticed an edge to Wally that last couple of years...almost an arrogance...and with the kids of today, in today's market, playing it aloof/laid back doesn't work with them...they want HYPE and an aggressive pursuit...I didn't see this from the Lions at all, save a useless tweet from Wally late in the day...

Now HUGE pressure has fallen onto McEvoy and Shivers to search the heavens for what we need.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:

Brutal just brutal. IMHO this was one FA the Lions simply couldn't lose out on given the failures of Canadian safeties during Wally's tenure — Jason Crumb, Tad Crawford, JR Larose. Butler was a ratio buster capable of playing nickel too makes this one real tough to swallow.

Lions are giving the fans very little to be excited about this off season.

Sammy, that's a very accurate post...and its clear Wally doesn't value the safety position that much, because the list you gave is embarrassing...and you are right, what is there to be excited about? Lulay's recovering elbow? Come on Lions...

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:LU and others now tweeting Butler has signed with Hamilton. :bang: This is shaping up to be the most unproductive off-season in Wally's tenure here.
Much ado about nothing, with the aggessive approach to FA.

Bourke was never going to come here. Popp could not let that happen.

Butler should have come here. Wally throws dollars around like manhole covers.

We got down to Plan C or D in our search for an OC. Free agency is going about the same.

So we are not doing that well in developing our own players. And we are not doing that well in attracting free agents.

Plus we just lost our top receiver to a competitor.

Am I pumped about this year? Not so much at this time.

The fans' hopes got pushed up. The cage got rattled. Waste of time. :thdn:

I would expect some lower level signings by us so they can say they were active in the market.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
BC Lions

BC Lions made offers to:
- OL Josh Bourke
- S Craig Butler
- OL Wayne Smith
- LB Shea Emry
- WR Nick Moore
Ante up in the poker game.

Retread Wayne Smith? :dizzy:
2004–2006
2007–2010
2012–present

Washington Redskins*
Denver Broncos*
Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Toronto Argonauts
So far, rather than being aggressive in the FA market, we seem to be going "quietly into the night."

Signing Craig Butler could change that.

As SZM points out, Ted Laurent has NFL hopes. If he comes back to the CFL, he would be a terrific signing for whatever teams gets him.

Yep, missed on Bourke (didn't really come available), Butler, Emery and our own Nick Moore...traded Banks, haven't done anything with Bell, and resigned an overaged, overpaid DE at the end of his playing days...not the kind of start to FA Lion's fans were hoping for...but watch Wally get out there and land Wayne Smith...yikes...

Oh well, its only Day 1...

Albert Einstein
lion24
Legend

apparently the Lions organization is no longer as desirable as in years past,horrible day. Hope we even make the playoffs this season?!
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:apparently the Lions organization is no longer as desirable as in years past,horrible day. Hope we even make the playoffs this season?!
Oh well, at least it's not Cleveland.
The_Pauser
Legend

Keron Williams is only 29. I don't see how he's "overaged" or "at the end of his playing days" at all.
Roar you Lions roar!
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I hope I am wrong Pauser...but what I have seen from KW over the last 2 years is that he has lost a gear and some of his leverage, making him an undersized DT and perhaps a little too slow to play DE...we will see, but the DLine isn't doing it for me...

Albert Einstein
lion24
Legend

I start to wonder if players for some reason are seeing something within the organization we all don't see? First we lose our own players then we cannot attract any of the big name free agents,makes you wonder? :thdn:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Could have lived with the release of Banks if Butler was signed. Now neither are here. Throw in the Lions top receiver from last season too. So much for "loading up" for a Grey Cup hosting year. Insult to injury will be losing Bell too to a Western rival after developing him the last 2 seasons.
lion24 wrote:I start to wonder if players for some reason are seeing something within the organization we all don't see? First we lose our own players then we cannot attract any of the big name free agents,makes you wonder? :thdn:
Agree lion24. It definitely isn't 2004 anymore. The momentum of this franchise has been going the wrong way since the 2012 Western Final loss on and off the field. Little has been done to stop it.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Confirmed. Butler is now a Ti Cat

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=443629
The_Pauser
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:I hope I am wrong Pauser...but what I have seen from KW over the last 2 years is that he has lost a gear and some of his leverage, making him an undersized DT and perhaps a little too slow to play DE...we will see, but the DLine isn't doing it for me...
I agree the DLine needs an improvement, though I wouldn't write off KW9 just yet. I think he bulked up a bit too much last year to move to DT and that really ruined his game. This year I expect a bounce back year.
Roar you Lions roar!
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Wally knows his price points and stays disciplined to them. I commend him for that. It's a lot easier to just throw around money and make things copacetic from an optics standpoint.

Moore, in my opinion is easily replaceable. Would've felt real greasy to throw 170k+ at him. I also think he lacks competitiveness/heart. IMO.

Anyways, hopefully we get Ted Laurent after he's done his NFL tryouts.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.