Grey Cup Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Will the Riders be the 3rd team in a row to win the Grey Cup at home or will Kent Austin and the Ti-Cats spoil the party for the home fans ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm really looking forward to this game. There are so many story lines. Will the Riders win just their fourth Grey Cup in front of their home fans? Can Hamilton, led by Ex-Riders Kent Austin, Henry Burris and Andy Fantuz, pull off an upset and hand Rider Nation the must painful loss in their 100-plus year history.

I have great respect for Rider fans but I'm pulling for the underdogs. I was happy to be at B.C. Place for Hamilton's last Grey Cup victory in 1999 and I was thankful to get to a game at Ivor Wynne before it was torn down. Bob Young has made mistakes as an owner but he loves the product and is a credit to the league. Besides, if one of David Braley's current teams can't win it, why not pull for his former team?
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:I'm really looking forward to this game. There are so many story lines. Will the Riders win just their fourth Grey Cup in front of their home fans? Can Hamilton, led by Ex-Riders Kent Austin, Henry Burris and Andy Fantuz, pull off an upset and hand Rider Nation the must painful loss in their 100-plus year history.

Besides, if one of David Braley's current teams can't win it, why not pull for his former team?
My feelings exactly, I'd love to go to riderfans.com and see the meltdown if they blow this golden opportunity. It was hilarious reading the long WSF thread and seeing how many posters there were gloom-and-doom at half-time.

This would give them something bigger than this monumental issue to complain about. :rotf:
http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthre ... he-jerseys
BC 1988
Legend

The temperature looks to be a non-factor http://www.theweathernetwork.com/36-hou ... wan/regina
but watch out for the NW wind gusts to 65km playing a part in some interesting coaching strategies.

If the Cats win, will the Kent Austin mural survive?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-R8lw2m6urcI/U ... G_5109.JPG
zark
Champion

I'm wearing a 1999 Grey Cup in Vancouver T-shirt. Hope that helps our cat loving friends.
I hope it's a good game.
:beer:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Since we don't have a dog in this fight today, here's an exercise that might add to the entertainment of the proceedings:

Someone has created a website that tracks whenever anyone drops an f-bomb on twitter, called fbomb.co. When this happens the site literally drops a bomb icon onto a world map to flag the location of the tweet. You can zoom the map at will just like google maps and even click on the flag to view said tweet. There's also a scroll on the right side of the page that displays each tweet in succession.

So let's zoom up that map on Canada and watch for the reaction during key moments of the game such as:

• Players' behaviour during the introductions (think Otis Floyd 2006)
• The singer messes up the anthem
• Everyone spouts off over how they let a lame-ass politician do the coin toss
• That stupid commercial everyone is sicking of watching
• A player makes (or fails to make) a big play or takes a bad penalty
• The officials make a bad call or bad non-call
• Everyone spouts off over how they interrupted the call of the game to interview a lame-ass politician
• Someone among the on-air crew says something biased or otherwise disagreeable
• Everyone wants to remind us how lame the halftime show act is
• That new commercial that everyone hates
• During the closing moments through the trophy presentation when losing team fans try to decide who to blame
• Everyone spouts off over how they let a lame-ass politician do the trophy presentation

I probably missed a few; feel free to add your own.

I've been watching for the last 10-15mins and just got the first one from Ssk:

"(identity removed)
9:55am - 24 Nov 13
If I didn't get so wasted last night I wouldn't have been able to sleep bc I'm so *frig* excited for this game. #reasoning #GreyCup"
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BC 1988
Legend

Thanks sj-roc.

Cuthbert-Suitor are doing the play-by-play. Too bad it's not Rod Black-Duane Ford, and we won't get to hear Black say "delicious irony" one more time. :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:Thanks sj-roc.

Cuthbert-Suitor are doing the play-by-play. Too bad it's not Rod Black-Duane Ford, and we won't get to hear Black say "delicious irony" one more time. :wink:
We could hear some pro-Ssk bias from Suits. Or even some innocently-intended remark from anyone else — whether it's Cuthbert, the studio panel, the sideline crews — that some people will read too much into.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Hamilton 31 / Saskatchewan 19 its final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
notahomer
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:Thanks sj-roc.

What about "UN-BEEE-LIEVABLE!!"

I'm a little curious about the Zebras too. Its the one game of the year where each individual official gets some camera time being introduced.......

I still do NOT think Durant has what it takes. Between him/Sheets, I think this will be the key. They have good days, Riders win. They have the kind of days I hope.... Autin, Fantuz and Burris lead those Ticats to victory.

Hope I'm wrong. Even though I don't think Durant is polished enough, I guess he will be because I think the Riders win....
swervynmerv
Legend

PigSkin_53 wrote:Hamilton 31 / Saskatchewan 19 its final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
God I hope you are right! If I didn't hate the Riders enough, the coverage this week in the media made me I'll.

Is there even another team playing? It's been all Riders, Rider Nation, blah blah blah.

Is there any other fanbase that is so cocky in the history as the Riders? 3 wins in 101 years and 15 loses in the GC! Their fans act like they are the Eskimos of the 70's!!

Go Hamilton!!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:
PigSkin_53 wrote:Hamilton 31 / Saskatchewan 19 its final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
God I hope you are right! If I didn't hate the Riders enough, the coverage this week in the media made me I'll.

Is there even another team playing? It's been all Riders, Rider Nation, blah blah blah.

Is there any other fanbase that is so cocky in the history as the Riders? 3 wins in 101 years and 15 loses in the GC! Their fans act like they are the Eskimos of the 70's!!

Go Hamilton!!
TBH, I didn't even bother following much Grey Cup coverage these past few days for the very reasons you mention, but all week long and even today in google.ca's default news feed all you saw/see in the trending topics was "Saskatchewan Roughriders" (see below the screen shot detail from moments ago as I type). No "Hamilton Tiger-Cats" or even "Grey Cup". You'd think it was on account of all the post-game coverage of their victory if you didn't know any better.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:God I hope you are right! If I didn't hate the Riders enough, the coverage this week in the media made me I'll.

Go Hamilton!!
I haven't tuned into much on the pre-game stuff. Thankfully its been Ticat stuff the times I have. Watched a little of Tom Hanks being interviewed w Martin Short.

As for it being TOO RIDER! Definately and I hope it comes back to haunt the Greenies. Its maybe something we (the Lions) were guilty of in 2011, I don't know. Burris and the Ticats left the awards show a little frustrated. Apparently there is only one team playing in this years Grey Cup. And it ain't the Ticats :wink:

Okay, use what you need. If that is what its gonna take to get you over the hump, I hope it works. That being said, neither one of these teams needs any motivating. Its tough to get to the Grey Cup. The times you made it and even win it, maybe were not years you actually SHOULD have been there. 1994 certainly fits that concept, for me as Lions fan. What do the Ticats have to lose? Nothing. They are nobodies or old vets. This Rider team is PRE ORDAINED to win. Okay, we'll see come later. It does seem that way, I hope the Ticats bring a game that will add another chapter to the Riders being green with jealousy again......
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Just heard Burris pregame and he was very nice about it but made the point that it is like their team is not there. You have to see it before judging that it is sour grapes as the context is not that at all but how on the team bus after it was quiet and helped it focus the Ticats on the game. That can motivate a team when they think they've all but handed out the GC trophy.
He called it not an awards show and embarrassing. That has been my impression that this over the top Rider coverage this week could lead to a very focused and motivated Cats team.

Cohon on expansion seemed to suggest that it is the Maritimes next whereas I saw a Farhan Tweet Saturday from Quebec City asking how come they aren't the next as Que. is big on football. I agree. To me nothing would be better than a team there but I guess it'd affect the TV coverage for the Als. Also it is clear that the team name Rouge et Noir is to appeal to the French across the river from Ottawa so clearly they will market to their region.

It was good in the pregame seeing the Cats holding their EDF trophy
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TSN panel all picked the Riders to win