Chris Jones Edmonton bound ?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heard a report from Toronto that the Edmonton Eskimoes is in hot pursuit for Chris Jones to be their new head coach ?
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Heard a report from Toronto that the Edmonton Eskimoes is in hot pursuit for Chris Jones to be their new head coach ?
Anyone going to Edmonton these days for professional sports has to be bound before they go alright. He seems like an interesting and logical choice, but without the horses he is going to find it hard sledding in Edmonton.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Bosco
Team Captain

Jones would certainly be a solid choice for the Eskimos.

Speaking of Calgary assistant coaches......will Edmonton / Winnipeg / Ottawa approach Dave Dickenson? Would Dickenson be interested in leaving Calgary?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:Jones would certainly be a solid choice for the Eskimos.

Speaking of Calgary assistant coaches......will Edmonton / Winnipeg / Ottawa approach Dave Dickenson? Would Dickenson be interested in leaving Calgary?
I wonder if the Esks with Hervey lashing out as he did would be some like Jones' first choice? Hervey proved this year in spades that he did not have his coach's back as he was knifing him and his assistants in public!!

Perhaps if you grade out the vacancies from the potential of getting a fast turn around you'd have to rank it this way:

1. Eskimos - you got a decent QB and without injuries some good potential. If you can win, the GM will no doubt just shut up and not hammer you in public. Maybe even some decent assistants if they get the right HC leadership.

2. Winnipeg - so many problems and not a firm in place GM and not a legit QB choice yet.

3. Ottawa - ranks at the bottom as that is a team that must be built from the ground up and that typically is the hardest job of all. Even if you do a good job and build a super foundation, you can be fired before it gels and the next HC gets the big wins.

As to Dave Dickenson, I think I read speculation that he'd not move to the Bombers if for no other reason than he's the heir apparent in Calgary if/when Hufnagel decides not to be HC. He is very Calgary committed apparently.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Winnipeg - so many problems and not a firm in place GM and not a legit QB choice yet.
Looks like Winnipeg is going to remove the "acting" title from Kyle Walters
South Pender
Legend

Bosco wrote: Speaking of Calgary assistant coaches......will Edmonton / Winnipeg / Ottawa approach Dave Dickenson? Would Dickenson be interested in leaving Calgary?
Would anyone be interested after his disastrous performance in the Western Final? Just kidding. But is Dickenson really as good as he's been portrayed to be on this forum (largely in comparison with that nincompoop Chaps)? :wink: Dickenson still seems to me to be too green to be a HC at this point.
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote: 3. Ottawa - ranks at the bottom as that is a team that must be built from the ground up and that typically is the hardest job of all. Even if you do a good job and build a super foundation, you can be fired before it gels and the next HC gets the big wins.
On the other hand, I can see some guys welcoming the chance to build a team from the ground up--fashioning the team exactly as they'd like it--rather than having to work with guys they inherit and might not have hired themselves had they had the chance.
zark
Champion

If I was an Argo fan, I would be happy to see Jones go. His lie up was constantly changing, and his D's performance, when it counted the most,was below average. Hard to believe their defence went downhill so fast after only one year. However,Brandon Isaac thanks him. So does Foley.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jones was always noted for his aggressive man-to-man defence in Montreal, Calgary and Toronto. In the East Final, he played a soft zone and let Henry Burris and the Ticats claw their way back into the game and move on to the Grey Cup. It was bizarre. He is due for a head coaching opportunity but if he ends up leaving Toronto, that was a lousy way to end his tenure there.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:Jones would certainly be a solid choice for the Eskimos.

Lots of Bomber fans seem to be interested in Dickenson but word is that he doesn't want to leave Calgary.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Chris Jones seems to be the guy most likely to step into a Head Coaching role next, IMO (no facts, just intuition). He just seems to like that 'nasty' style of defence and seems HARD on his players but they seem to love him regardless.........
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: 3. Ottawa - ranks at the bottom as that is a team that must be built from the ground up and that typically is the hardest job of all. Even if you do a good job and build a super foundation, you can be fired before it gels and the next HC gets the big wins.
On the other hand, I can see some guys welcoming the chance to build a team from the ground up--fashioning the team exactly as they'd like it--rather than having to work with guys they inherit and might not have hired themselves had they had the chance.

While this doesn't exactly square with the reality of new football teams and new coaches.

Few work out well.

This is the ONE game then likely followed by hockey that is tough to take an entire new group including new coaches who have never worked together and players who all knew and come up winning.

The casualty rate for new coaches in this scenario are typically high.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
South Pender wrote:

While this doesn't exactly square with the reality of new football teams and new coaches.

Few work out well.
Some have (Baltimore Stallions, an expansion franchise), and others have failed because of lousy ownership (Ottawa Renegades). I can easily see an ambitious new HC welcoming the chance to bring on board his choice of assistants, and a new roster of players. What is required for success is the proper perspective and expectations on the part of the fans: not expecting a winning team in Year 1, but steady progress as the new group learns to work together and picks up free agents and draft picks. I think a coach with lots of football smarts and energy might welcome this stiff challenge.