Riders 35 Lions 14 Post Game Comments and Stats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Cougar Country
Rookie

aklawitter wrote:Harris is being set up for failure. Coaches trying to send a message? Do it with your off-season cuts, not in a virtual must-win game. The best playmakers should always be given the ball.
A Canadian RB on a short leash? Nahh...
TJ103
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:They can have 3 months to prepare for WSF and we will see the same old predictable play calling. I just don't have any faith in the current coaching staff.
Its not all the coaching staff
Last edited by TJ103 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ziggy
Legend

I don't know that you can pin this one on the coaching. Our offense couldn't hang on to the ball, plain and simple ,we had more turnovers than a bakery.
dtrain
Starter

This season is over.
I'm trying to sell off my tix for last 2 games- I normally go to be entertained, not tortured.
Will be interesting to see how much change Wally makes in off season being a Grey Cup host season.
Already considering a game pack rather than full ticket for 2014 unless something big changes.
Don't know how fans in Edm and Winnipeg cope.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

With 3 games against Riders and 1 against Stamps and Bombers, Lions go 2-3 with Demarco at the helm. Can't say I would be surprised if I was told 5 weeks ago that's how it would be played out. That would have been decent without those ugly road losses in Montreal, Toronto and Hamilton earlier in the season that look huge now without their No. 1 QB.

We got teased by that first win at Mosiac followed by the blowout win at Winnipeg. Demarco really showed his lack of experience 3 weeks ago at BC Place against the Riders and followed it up with a similar performance yesterday. I thought he played well enough to win in Calgary but clearly he is forcing a lot of balls into coverage and the INTs are adding up big time.

Maybe the coaching staff sees what I see and that's Buck clearly doesn't have it anymore. That might explain why he isn't being used when Demarco is clearly struggling at times.

That fumble (slip) was an absolute backbreaker, not only for the Lions but his confidence too. BC was driving with a 7-3 lead when almost the unthinkable happens to swing the game the other way for good. One of the biggest unforced errors that I can think of in recent history for this team.

Logan looked decent but the insertion of him into the line-up after 3 days of practice screams of a desperate football team using a band-aid to try and fix a long term deficiency (offensive line). Is Logan or another import an upgrade over Harris? Probably but they are screwing around big time with a young Canadian player that is loaded with talent and about to enter his option year. He's not going to forget this.

Can't say enough about how disappointing of season it has been for Keron Williams. Yes, he was out of position to start but his overall numbers are terrible and again he fails to wrap up a certain sack that ends up being a first down. As a high priced import he is definitely vulnerable in the off-season.

Thing that hurts as a diehard fan is the Lions have successfully killed off all the momentum and buzz they created with those wins over the Riders and Winnipeg. First they lay an egg in front of a big crowd then two critical road losses. Now two home games that mean absolutely nothing and will have zero interest of the casual fan.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:With 3 games against Riders and 1 against Stamps and Bombers, Lions go 2-3 with Demarco at the helm. Can't say I would be surprised if I was told 5 weeks ago that's how it would be played out. That would have been decent without those ugly road losses in Montreal, Toronto and Hamilton earlier in the season that look huge now without their No. 1 QB.

We got teased by that first win at Mosiac followed by the blowout win at Winnipeg. Demarco really showed his lack of experience 3 weeks ago at BC Place against the Riders and followed it up with a similar performance yesterday. I thought he played well enough to win in Calgary but clearly he is forcing a lot of balls into coverage and the INTs are adding up big time.

Maybe the coaching staff sees what I see and that's Buck clearly doesn't have it anymore. That might explain why he isn't being used when Demarco is clearly struggling at times.

That fumble (slip) was an absolute backbreaker, not only for the Lions but his confidence too. BC was driving with a 7-3 lead when almost the unthinkable happens to swing the game the other way for good. One of the biggest unforced errors that I can think of in recent history for this team.

Logan looked decent but the insertion of him into the line-up after 3 days of practice screams of a desperate football team using a band-aid to try and fix a long term deficiency (offensive line). Is Logan or another import an upgrade over Harris? Probably but they are screwing around big time with a young Canadian player that is loaded with talent and about to enter his option year. He's not going to forget this.

Can't say enough about how disappointing of season it has been for Keron Williams. Yes, he was out of position to start but his overall numbers are terrible and again he fails to wrap up a certain sack that ends up being a first down. As a high priced import he is definitely vulnerable in the off-season.

Thing that hurts as a diehard fan is the Lions have successfully killed off all the momentum and buzz they created with those wins over the Riders and Winnipeg. First they lay an egg in front of a big crowd then two critical road losses. Now two home games that mean absolutely nothing and will have zero interest of the casual fan.
Well said. I agree completely. DeMarco's confidence has been shaken and mistakes have a way of compounding when one thing goes wrong. The Lions need to put this game behind them and focus on beating Edmonton. The game means nothing in the standings but it means everything to a team seeking to rebuild its confidence after a couple of disappointing performances.

DeMarco remains the Lions's best hope unless they make a radical move and see what Elliott can do. After the way he was released and brought back on an emergency basis, I doubt that he'll be allowed to do anything other than run the scout team.
zark
Champion

Not too much difference between Durant and Demarco except for the turnovers.
Name Comp Att Yards TD Int
DEMARCO, T 13 31 147 2 4

DURANT, D 13 29 187 1 1

The biggest difference was the running game. 150 yds for Sheets. Nothing of note from the Lions run game.
I'd hate to say their season is done, but it's not looking too Orange anymore.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
David
Team Captain

The sad part is the Eskimos are not going to roll over and die next week. They always seem to play well at BCP and I can't see this being an easy game. Not unless they say, "screw it, let's sit down some vets and see what some of our PR guys can do." Doubt it.

Their struggles have been about a poor O-line and killing themselves with dumb mistakes (sound familiar?). Obviously the key is to shut down Fred Stamps as he's by far their best receiver, but Hugh Charles always seems to come up big against us.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:.....Durant: "Teams don't want to come here [to Regina] to play" :whs: 13 of 29 for 187yds w/ 1td and a pick, stfu
:whs:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Any positives from this game? I know there weren't many of them.

The play of Bighill and Elimimian?
The play of Moore, who's been our smoothest receiver this year?
Logan's kick returns? (27.4 yard average)
The fact the O-line only gave up 1 sack?

DH :cool:
X2, I thought those things too. And the Lions did START strong, scoring first. AND, Bell should be back for the next game in Regina (hopefully both games we still want to play in 2013 @ Regina......
swervynmerv
Legend

zark wrote:Not too much difference between Durant and Demarco except for the turnovers.
DEMARCO, T 13 31 147 2 4

DURANT, D 13 29 187 1 1

The biggest difference was the running game. 150 yds for Sheets. Nothing of note from the Lions run game.
I'd hate to say their season is done, but it's not looking too Orange anymore.

Now that I have calmed down from that embarassing 5 straight turnovers which gave the game to the Riders I have come up with some thoughts:

1. Zark is dead on. Durant was not stellar at all. I believe he is the weakest of the starting QB's in the West( i.e. Lulay as ours) and I wouldn't rank him in the top 5 in the CFL. DeMarco, who was less than stellar, put up similar numbers, minus the turnovers to a QB who has been a starter for the past 5 years and has been to 2 Grey Cups. I have a feeling the Riders will lose their last two games of the season and will enter the playoff on a low.

2. I still don't get the Buck Pierce trade. He has been back well over a month and as a vet QB should have a grasp of the playbook by now. When you are down 31-7, why not put him in the second half and see what happens? Coach B said they wanted to run with DeMarco as he is their guy, but what happens if he gets hurt and Buck has to go in the West Semi-Final and hasn't played in two months? Unless he is hurt, that is just bad coaching. Remember this guy is only 2 years removed from leading the Bombers to a Grey Cup!

3. The past two games against the Riders I feel the Leos beat themselves instead of having the Riders "win" the game. Penalties in Game #2 cost us that one and turnovers yesterday were the deciding factor. Take those away and it is basically a tie game. The Lions have played absolutely horrible the past two games against Saskatchewan, after yesterday, I don't think they could play worse. That's why I'm actually looking forward to the WSF. The Lions have lots going for them IMHO. They can only play better, they know what the Riders bring, DeMarco will play his 3rd game at MOSAIC and knows what to expect of the savage crowd, and the coaches have 3 weeks to start prepping for the Riders. Maybe it's hope or just blind faith but I'm predicting a win in the WSF right here and now.
Rammer
Team Captain

swervynmerv wrote: 3. The past two games against the Riders I feel the Leos beat themselves instead of having the Riders "win" the game. Penalties in Game #2 cost us that one and turnovers yesterday were the deciding factor. Take those away and it is basically a tie game. The Lions have played absolutely horrible the past two games against Saskatchewan, after yesterday, I don't think they could play worse. That's why I'm actually looking forward to the WSF. The Lions have lots going for them IMHO. They can only play better, they know what the Riders bring, DeMarco will play his 3rd game at MOSAIC and knows what to expect of the savage crowd, and the coaches have 3 weeks to start prepping for the Riders. Maybe it's hope or just blind faith but I'm predicting a win in the WSF right here and now.
Just to point out that the Lions do take atrocious penalties at the worst time, while the D is the backbone of the team, they tend to have a brain fart on a bad penalty at the wrong time. As for the turnover game, the Lions were fully warranted for those, should have had a couple more, and at no time have they shown immunity to the turnover, unless DeMarco is going to take the sack that will continue with our OL woes. I watched the Tigercats today deploy a middle screen, dependent upon the deception that your OL plays like they have been beaten, and the ball is thrown overtop of the onrushing DL. The Lions problem with this, is that for the most part the DL does feel like they have been flying through untouched.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

We got off to a great start before the implosion of turnovers happened. I thought, considering only one week of practice and no training camp, pre-season, or anything prior, Stefan Logan looked like he will add to our offence.

Andrew Harris slept in, missed the flight, and had to pay commercial to get to Regina. Not good timing for Harris to sleep in.

Our defense held the Riders to two first downs in the second half. I believe we can beat the Riders in the playoffs and in fact I believe we will.

A bad time for 10 turnovers, (2 called back because of penalties) including 4 in a row and 5 out of 6 offensive series. Game over.

Time to begin preparation for the playoffs and improve DeMarco's game. ..and he should not be written off...it takes time for a quarterback to learn lessons. Lulay was not very good for more than 5 games before he became a very good starter. DeMarco has less pressure on him for the next two games to prepare for the playoff.

I have not given up nor have our Leos...
In a game that didn’t offer much consolation, there were a couple of encouraging notes.

Moore had five catches for 73 yards and reached the 1,000-yard threshold in receiving yards for the first time in his career.

Stefan Logan, making his first appearance as a running back/returner, after just three practices, had 218 all-purpose yards on 23 touches.

And the Lions didn’t quit. They actually outscored the Roughriders, 7-4, in the second half, although the result was decided in the first.

“Guys on the sidelines were cheering us: ‘Come on, offence. Don’t worry about the interception. Keep fightin’. Lets make it happen on this possession,’” Logan said. “Nobody was down. Nobody was pointing fingers. They were still into the game. They were still fighting.”

They’ll need that fight -- and a lot more of everything else -- the next time the Lions are in Regina. Mike Beamish.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:We got off to a great start before the implosion of turnovers happened. I thought, considering only one week of practice and no training camp, pre-season, or anything prior, Stefan Logan looked like he will add to our offence.

Andrew Harris slept in, missed the flight, and had to pay commercial to get to Regina. Not good timing for Harris to sleep in.

Our defense held the Riders to two first downs in the second half. I believe we can beat the Riders in the playoffs and in fact I believe we will.

A bad time for 10 turnovers, (2 called back because of penalties) including 4 in a row and 5 out of 6 offensive series. Game over.

Time to begin preparation for the playoffs and improve DeMarco's game. ..and he should not be written off...it takes time for a quarterback to learn lessons. Lulay was not very good for more than 5 games before he became a very good starter. DeMarco has less pressure on him for the next two games to prepare for the playoff.

I have not given up nor have our Leos...
In a game that didn’t offer much consolation, there were a couple of encouraging notes.

Moore had five catches for 73 yards and reached the 1,000-yard threshold in receiving yards for the first time in his career.

Stefan Logan, making his first appearance as a running back/returner, after just three practices, had 218 all-purpose yards on 23 touches.

And the Lions didn’t quit. They actually outscored the Roughriders, 7-4, in the second half, although the result was decided in the first.

“Guys on the sidelines were cheering us: ‘Come on, offence. Don’t worry about the interception. Keep fightin’. Lets make it happen on this possession,’” Logan said. “Nobody was down. Nobody was pointing fingers. They were still into the game. They were still fighting.”

They’ll need that fight -- and a lot more of everything else -- the next time the Lions are in Regina. Mike Beamish.
You can't sell me on DeMarco, he just isn't accurate enough to go very far, and the Lions have to travel to Regina and then Calgary, a very long road for a QB that looks like he isn't going to fit the Chapdelaine O.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Larry Key wrote:DeMarco has regressed since his 2 wins. I agree, time to put in Elliot or Buck. Moj and Farhan just mentioning how Thomas has regressed.
It's tough to make that judgement. Let's not overlook the fact that he's now started 5 games and the Riders have been his opponent for 3 of them. The Riders know him almost as well as the Lions know him at this point.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.