CFL: Rating the teams

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Before Hawkins started the job I swear that I heard him say they would not change the play book.

This week they are saying you don't get the entire playbook in that fast meaning they are making it up as they go along.

I am still not sure how they managed to keep AC on side for this gong show.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

5 games in ...

1 Riders

2 Stamps

3 Argos

4 Lions

5 Als

Alpha order ...

6 Edmonton

7 Hamilton

8 Winnipeg

Re the Lions ...

Thumped by the Stamps and the Argos.

We beat the Schmos twice.

We look old in the D Line.

We look like we game plan Lulay as a pocket passer.

Lulay is not picking apart the blitz.

We had nothing effective in the red zone.

We made Collaros look like the best QB in the league.

We gave up on Steele at the end. We lost the fight in the back alley.

We were out coached.

We have some personnel issues.

So much for preseason praise in the media. Teams adjusted to us as a known commodity.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:5 games in ...

1 Riders

2 Stamps

3 Argos

4 Lions

5 Als

Alpha order ...

6 Edmonton

7 Hamilton

8 Winnipeg

Re the Lions ...

Thumped by the Stamps and the Argos.

We beat the Schmos twice.

We look old in the D Line.

We look like we game plan Lulay as a pocket passer.

Lulay is not picking apart the blitz.

We had nothing effective in the red zone.

We made Collaros look like the best QB in the league.

We gave up on Steele at the end. We lost the fight in the back alley.

We were out coached.

We have some personnel issues.

So much for preseason praise in the media. Teams adjusted to us as a known commodity.
Nothing to add, WCJ, think you nailed it. Sure hope these rankings change over the next few weeks...........
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
Nothing to add, WCJ, think you nailed it. Sure hope these rankings change over the next few weeks...........
Personally, I don't care at all what these rankings look like in a few weeks, only the final one after the last game has been played.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree, weekly ratings are nothing more than conversation piece. Means diddly squat.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I agree, weekly ratings are nothing more than conversation piece. Means diddly squat.
EXACTLY, just like 90% of the stuff we chat about on here. Doesn't mean SQUAT..........

Still fun to consider. Yes, the final ranking is the only one that matters and it isn't decided by ranking, its decided on the field. IMO, its fun to consider how teams are adjusting based on how they've been playing.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I agree, weekly ratings are nothing more than conversation piece. Means diddly squat.
One view is that in the end if you win a GC only the bloggers will focus on how you played to get there. The business end says it very much does matter as they need fans in the seats (insert Toronto Argonauts as your first choice for that one).

Only teams like NHL teams with sold out season tickets can really say it doesn't matter any more as the bloggers these days have as much influence as main stream media.

On past stretch of losses the Lion media reporters have noted these boards each time in their stories to support their claims for the need to change.

I actually wanted to post here to note that the oft criticized Brendan Taman who is supposed to have put the Bombers in the toilet is now SOLELY the football guy in SASK with all decisions including the coach and talent on his shoulders. I for one thought he set the Bombers on the downward trajectory and even speculated that when Eric Tillman brought him in to Regina as ET had to work at home that ET was actually trying to set up the Riders for similar disaster should he be forced to resign for PR purposes and later when back in the CFL as he knew he'd be - he needed SASK to lose.

Taman so far this season is looking good even though the Geroy signing looked to some as odd and not a great decision - made to look even worse when Geroy was hurt for the first games this year. Two of his catches in the last game were brilliant.

As a further aside, I have noticed a marked change in how Geroy speaks. This is sounding like a more maturing player who is not just about him and his role and catches. Subtleties in his choice of words and phrasings are leading me to think that this guy has a lot to offer even if he no longer players. When in BC with the coup of Kruck on the return of JC (when Wally didn't want JC back and questioned his return in the media) I felt Geroy had a lot to say and in my view it wasn't helpful as he was leading the REC into the wrong territory. First they got JC back, the Kruck was demoted to the booth so the REC could have their coach on the sidelines. Man, that was a sordid, sorry, stinking thing led by players! The new Geroy seems wiser, more mature and more team.
I wish him well in SASK and hope he has a banner year while Durant goes on to toss too many INTs to win games and the West.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:....I wish him well in SASK and hope he has a banner year while Durant goes on to toss too many INTs to win games and the West.
Well said, Toppy Vann. I want Simon to have a great year too.....(except for those three games we hope will help bring the Riders back to the pack....)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We put these threads out there for the readers, and for discussion.

People can say they mean little, but I would have to disagree with that point of view. In football evaluation is a full time job, an all the time job. Off season. Preseason. In season. End of season. Where are the good players? How good is this guy? Are the schemes we run achieving what we hope? Are we one of the better teams, or are we "rebuilding," as with the Eskimos? Constant evaluation.

And as Toppy notes, a wise team/organization pays attention to what the fans think. There is great insight in the accumulated wisdom present in all the years of living of the members of any group such as this forum.

And even if the contributors of a site are off the mark, as might be said about some of the more extreme fan sites, it is good for the team to know how the fans view things.

If only the last game matters, then only one team can feel good about its season. And I think that is a harsh view. I think more than one team can take satisfaction in their accomplishments.

So we keep presenting these threads ...
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While the actual weekly power ratings might mean diddly squat, how many fans won't buy tickets next game in WPG, BC, EDMTN vs sold out stadiums. The CFL has a very good reason to worry about team performance game in and game out, unless you're sold out and even then you have to worry about the next year. I suspect for BC Lions a poor away performance drops 3,000 to 5000 potential ticket buyers for the next game.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I know its not earth-shattering by any stretch of the imagination but....WCJ, your ratings matched the TSN ratings.....

I'd really like to see some change in those ratings (that will happen as a result of games played on a field :cool: ). IMO, there are two teams (Stamps/Riders) who are clearly the class of the league, at this point in time. There are clearly some teams struggling and have been since game one (Esks, Ticats, Bombers ?). I'm hoping some good signs will start appearing in the struggling teams and some cracks in the Stamps/Riders. I know the CFL is known for its parity, I'd just like to see some more.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I know its not earth-shattering by any stretch of the imagination but....WCJ, your ratings matched the TSN ratings.....

I'd really like to see some change in those ratings (that will happen as a result of games played on a field :cool: ). IMO, there are two teams (Stamps/Riders) who are clearly the class of the league, at this point in time. There are clearly some teams struggling and have been since game one (Esks, Ticats, Bombers ?). I'm hoping some good signs will start appearing in the struggling teams and some cracks in the Stamps/Riders. I know the CFL is known for its parity, I'd just like to see some more.
LOL Thanks for the chuckle, notahomer.

I haven't looked at those ratings this year. They seem to use some odd mathematics beyond my ken. I go mostly by the wins/losses, with some hunches thrown in. Yes, not a big deal, and they mostly make for some discussion of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the teams.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Riders - Clear #1 now.
Calgyra - Clear #2 now. Anxious to see if they can beat the Riders at home.
Argos - Just give them the East Final already, particularly if their line play is as good as it was this week.
--------
BC - A notch below, at this point. But a notch above the next set of teams.
--------

Montreal - Watching Popp and Hawkins was like watching one of your friends fall in love with a crazy woman. You know it's going to end badly. You had the feeling Dad might have to step in and threaten to withhold the inheritance if he didn't dump her. But some guys just have to learn the hard way.

Edmonton - Yes, the records are worse, but I still think there's more talent here than meets the eye, save for the offensive line, which is awful. I'd look at canning the OC during the bye, personally.

Hamilton - It's 2nd and 12 with :45 left and a two point lead. Do you: A) hand off to your running back and take :25 seconds off the clock before punting on 3rd down? B) scramble with your QB and take :25 off the clock before punting on 3rd down? C) Have your QB take a knee and take :25 off the clock before punting on 3rd down? or D) Thrown an incomplete pass to a receiver 6 yards downfield? If you chose D, you too deserve to lose a CFL game. Lucky for you, you were playing Edmonton.

Winnipeg - The party is over. Broom the coaching staff, front office and most of the Board of Directors that can't stay the hell out of the football operation's way, play the kids and start over.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

1 Riders ... They lose to Calgary. About even.

2 Stamps ... Tossup with the Riders IMO.

3 Argos ... Likely to win the East and get to the Cup. Ricky Ray as good or better than ever.

4 Lions ... Feasting on the bottom dwellers. Able to challenge the ones above? Maybe. If JC and Stubler show us superior game planning. They have done it in the past.

Some questions ...

Predictable O?

Trying to turn Lulay into Dave Dickenson, into a pocket passer?

D Line too old, too small, worn down with mileage?

D Line not designed to stop ferocious running games?

D Line able to pressure the QB?

Enough roster flexibility to allow 6 man D Line rotation?

Previous coaching advantage negated by innovative coaches such as Hufnagel/Dickenson, Cortez and Milanovich/Jones?

5 TiCats ... I still believe in Austin. We'll see how that holds.

6 Alouettes ... Calvillo cranky. Berry acting as OC without title. Some dysfunction after the Hawkins disaster.

7 Bombers ... I think Burke is slightly better than Reed. LOL QB schmozzle. They have some talent, especially on D.

8 Eskimos ... Reed is looking curiouser and curiouser. They are fixing to get Reilly knocked out. Any easing of the pain of the fans? Don't think so.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: .......
2 Stamps ... Tossup with the Riders IMO.
8 Eskimos ... Reed is looking curiouser and curiouser. They are fixing to get Reilly knocked out. Any ease for the pain of the fans? Don't think so.
That 2 versus 8 Labour Day home&home isn't looking to be the usual Classic that it is often known for. Could easily be the end of the end for the Esks......

In some ways I think the west needs the Lions to stay within shouting distance. I know its not Labour Day yet. We won a divison after starting 1-5. I get it. But, when there gets to be distance, I think the wheels come off easier. For eg in 2011 we stunk but we weren't the only team that stunk (record wise). Being 1-5 is bad, but at least, IIRC, the Riders were struggling that year too.

WCJ, I agree with your rating of the Ticats. They are struggling too but I don't think they seem as far away from success as the Bombers/Al's. Kinda a backhanded compliment but guess we'll see......