Argos 38 - Lions 12 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 20/29 226 0 1
T. DEMARCO 2/4 11 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
N. MOORE 6 116 0 40
C. TAYLOR 6 55 0 17
A. HARRIS 6 35 0 10
M. IANNUZZI 2 20 0 12
S. GORE 1 11 0 11
R. LUMBALA 1 0 0 0

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 15 96 0 20
T. DEMARCO 2 8 0 6
T. LULAY 2 7 0 4
S. GORE 1 17 0 17
M. IANNUZZI 1 11 0 11
T. BROWN 1 5 0 5

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
A. HARRIS 2 1 0 0
T. LULAY 1 1 0 0
K. BANKS 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 4/4 17 0/0 12

Punting NO AVG NET LG
P. MCCALLUM 3 44.7 121 46

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 3 6 2.0 4 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
H. O'NEILL 4 219 62 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 6 110 18.3 33 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
S. ELIMIMIAN 7 0 0 0
A. BIGHILL 6 2 0 0
C. PARKS 4 0 0 0
K. WILLIAMS 3 0 0 0
D. MARSH 3 0 0 0
K. BANKS 2 0 0 0
E. TAYLOR 2 0 0 0
A. LAROSE 2 0 0 0
B. JORDAN 2 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 2 0 0 0
K. SMITH 2 0 0 0
T. LULAY 1 0 0 0
J. BELL 1 0 0 0
P. KABONGO 1 0 0 0
C. TAYLOR 1 0 0 0
J. ARAKGI 1 0 0 0
L. SHELL 1 0 0 0
N. MOORE 0 0 0 1
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
Z. COLLAROS 21/25 253 3 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
C. STEELE 5 35 0 13
C. OWENS 4 47 0 19
J. BARNES 3 56 1 22
S. WATT 2 49 0 34
J. CHILES 2 30 1 23
A. DURIE 2 20 0 17
Z. ROBINSON 2 12 1 11
M. BRADWELL 1 4 0 4

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
C. STEELE 12 74 2 14
Z. COLLAROS 8 28 0 8

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
Z. COLLAROS 1 1 0 0
J. JACKSON 1 0 1 0
S. HORTON 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
N. PREFONTAINE 1/2 20 5/5 8

Punting NO AVG NET LG
N. PREFONTAINE 4 35.5 136 41

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
C. OWENS 3 13 4.3 6 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
N. PREFONTAINE 6 349 59 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
C. OWENS 2 41 20.5 23 0
Q. PORTER 1 33 33.0 33 0
Z. ROBINSON 1 23 23.0 23 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
R. MCCUNE 7 0 0 0
M. BALL 5 0 1 1
P. WATKINS 4 0 0 0
J. ROBINSON 4 0 0 0
J. CARTER 3 1 0 1
J. WILLIAMS 3 0 0 0
J. GATLIN 3 0 0 0
S. HORTON 2 1 0 1
K. TRIPP 2 0 0 0
M. BLACK 2 0 0 0
J. YURICHUK 2 0 0 0
K. MITCHELL 1 1 0 0
J. GABRIEL 1 0 0 0
J. JACKSON 1 0 0 0
Z. COLLAROS 1 0 0 0
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The players had a food hangover? One too many fajitas or a bunch of bad ones maybe?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
Angus Reid: Chow downs almost as fun as first downs

By Angus Reid, Special to The Province July 29, 2013

The Toronto trip has always been a circled spot on the calendar. Because of the time change, we leave for Toronto two days before the game.

That gives us our first night free to have a little fun with one of the rookie offensive linemen. The tradition is quite simple: Across from the Rogers Centre is the Lone Star Texas Grill, famous for its huge fajita platters and tortillas made fresh right in front of you.
Out played, out coached, out prepared. Timing of the loss is a good thing as there is lots of time to get back on track.

TOR on DEF looked like CAL used to when their DEF were calling out the Lions plays and the Lions losing to them.

You don't win them all and at times a stinker is the best way to get a wake up call to your team as the Argos are no longer an easy W.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
Z. COLLAROS 21/25 253 3 0

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
Z. COLLAROS 8 28 0 8
Hmm... looks familiar, where have I have seen this before? Oh, I know. It was 11 years ago this week:

2002-07-26
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
RAY, R 21/28 277 4 0
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
RAY, R 3/7 0 3
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
274always
All Star

Clearly a Braley screw job. With such low attendance he couldn't afford another home loss. :wink:
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

I'm a lifelong Argo fan, except when they're playing the Lions, but this one feels awful. Defensive line was MIA and the offensive strategy was truly offensive. Bad penalties didn't help. But this was on the coaches, or at least it was until the defence pretty well gave up in the fourth quarter.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Got a number of observations.

Complacency by the Lions? Yes. Survival skills asleep.

On the other side ... Survival skills, as the Argos were the team with something to prove.

Collaros was a winner in high school and in college. No surprise he is a gamer. Very agile and elusive.

The Argos really play like a dirty team. That hit on Moore who had not caught the ball was nasty. And the Argos know how to play chippy. The Lions don't. In a chippy game, that is all to the Argos' advantage.

To start the game, we were not ready to handle the Argos' blitz.

And on D, we were not ready to handle the mobile QB Collaros.

Josh Bell was horrible. Every time I saw him he was failing to make a play. Missed the ball on the first TD pass. Missed a number of tackles. Looked like he was in shock.

It figures that in a frustrating game like this Fabien would get hurt. It looked innocent.

Our coaches failed this one. Game plans were inadequate. Our D = Fail. Our O = Fail. And the players did not have the necessary mental preparation to meet the ferocity of the Argos.

Lulay played a frustrating game to watch, by MOP standards, although he was trying hard. A bit panicky. He was not accurate in his throwing at times. Nothing new there. And I wonder if we are game planning as if he was a thrower of darts, from the pocket. It seems to me he is not a thrower of darts.

Neither is Collaros a thrower of darts, but their game plan had that in mind. His first TD should have been knocked down at least (Bell and LaRose were stunned on that one).

Lulay was 20/29 in his passing, but failed to punch in TDs. Not sure we are game planning to his strengths and weaknesses as best we could.

I mentioned how at practice, a regular always thinks he can do a good job predicting the score. This is a game that to me shows the futility of that ambition. The best one can do, it seems to me, is to judge if your team is ready to play. In that regard there is no way we were ready to match the fire of Collaros, in his debut, nor of the nasty Argo defence.

Nick Moore played very well. Good to see. :thup:

Andrew Harris had good productivity, and took a lot of shots, carrying the mail. 22 touches. Probably too many in such a game. Two backs sharing the load vs a killer hitting team would make sense to me. Two fumbles tarnish it a bit, but when you are gang tackled, and you get a slow whistle, while a guy is twisting your head off, wadddayagonnado?

Straight Ahead Tim Brown was showing his best form. Repeated holding calls negated many returns.

Little DeMarco looks OK to me on short yardage. Big Jarious could never get yards like that.

The Argos could have been beaten on this day, but we would have had to be ready for a gang fight. Did you ever play a team that had less talent but was very, very tough. If you don't match their toughness they will kick your ass. If you match their toughness, the game goes your way, and they kind of give up at the end. If they see you are not matching their toughness, they start to play downhill to you, rolling over you, as happened in this game.

We made Collaros look as good as he could possibly have looked. All of our defensive planning failed to make him look inexperienced. He is not as good as he looked. He throws some wobblers, as does Travis Lulay. These types of mobile guys can obviously be effective, but they are not pinpoint passers.

I think it is evident that CFL teams have a book on how to slow Lulay down now. And if we game plan so that he tries to make tight throws into coverage he will make mistakes. It seems to me he is better suited to what Collaros was given in his game plan, rollouts, runs, short throws, mixed in with some longer throws. Travis IMO has not been especially accurate even in the intermediate range. Receivers are having to reach back, et cetera. He is what he is, still an absolute top CFL QB. But not sure we are game planning the best for his skills.

**************** Penalties ... Ughhhh ... 13 on the Lions, 4 on the Argos. *****************

Taking these penalties just shows that we were not ready mentally. I didn't get the sense that the team saw a nasty slugfest coming up. We heard praise for Stubler, and that we are always motivated against Toronto because they dumped Stubler. Well that time is past.

However, this game is very much in the nature of the CFL. Topsy turvy. Not necessary to look for a high place from which to jump. But we can expect a battle each and every week. We were hyped as the top team at the start. And teams are bringing their game face against us.

Milanovich may not mind having a dirty team, but he is a helluva coach. Great game plan for the young QB. Great mindset fot the young QB. Great motivation by the blockers and tacklers.

Did we look predictable on O and D? Yes. Did we have Travis in the pocket trying to throw darts? Yes.

Did Milanovich out game plan Stubler? Yes.

Did Chris Jones out game plan JC? Yes.

Do we need a six man D Line rotation? IMO. Yes. But we also need some youth, size and strength there. Surprised we did not have a guy to challenge Eric Taylor. Surprised we cannot find a guy to challenge Khreem Smith. These guys belong in Valhalla, but they are long in the tooth, and I think young legs might be needed.

Did Josh Bell look like Ryan Phillips as a tackler, but without the cover skills? Yes.

Tough to win two in a row vs a team. Lions won 6 in a row, and 16 of 17 vs the Argos (so I heard said by the announcers). Eventually the other team's pride kicks in and they reverse the outcome.

I almost gave up on doing this review. The site was down at game end for a while.

Personnel-wise. I still do not like our lack of NI depth on the D Line. And I also find it strange that we cannot find, to the satisfaction of the coaches, good import rush ends and import nose tackles (31 brought in to challenge Khreem Smith and Eric Taylor ... more like 21, but you get the idea).

(Save before you send).
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yes, Argos are a dirty team - ask the Bombers how they head hunted Pierce even in the first pre-season game this year!!!
They have good coaches but judging from how they play dirty - well you know that coaches allow that OR it won't be happening. They sure were upset when Ricky Ray got taken out though.

I don't think dirty play was a factor in the Lions poor showing tonight though.

If the Lions coaches don't focus on the lesson about their coaching in this game and just do the old Wally - it's all about execution - then watch out for more of this.

I agree with David's comments on more FGs at the 5 when they needed a game changer.

I made a comment about the best part of the story pre-game being the Lion player saying Jones is a DEF dictator. That might not have been smart.

One thing and the Lions Non-Special Teams and kick returns. The LIons need to take the N out of NST on kick returns and do something a little creative like the Argos did. It seems it is a like a snooker game and no one wants to break the balls up so the break (kick return) is not an advantage - it is used to get the ball safely in play. The lack of any originality in the Lion kick return game is enough to anesthetize 1/3 of the players.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Tough to win two in a row vs a team. Lions won 6 in a row, and 16 of 17. Eventually the other team's pride kicks in and they reverse the outcome.
I don't really buy that. The lineups and coaching staffs of both teams have changed so much it makes the lopsided W/L stat completely meaningless aside from fan bragging rights and media talking points. Argos have had six head coaches, one of whom is now our DC, and perhaps as many starting QBs during this run.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions weren't ready to play right from the get go. Typical slow start.

Outcoached and out played.

Undisciplined

Stupid penalties. (at least 3 on punt returns negating good returns)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Tough to win two in a row vs a team. Lions won 6 in a row, and 16 of 17. Eventually the other team's pride kicks in and they reverse the outcome.
I don't really buy that. The lineups and coaching staffs of both teams have changed so much it makes the lopsided W/L stat completely meaningless aside from fan bragging rights and media talking points. Argos have had six head coaches, one of whom is now our DC, and perhaps as many starting QBs during this run.
We can see this differently, sj.

To me it seems to be a factor. Even in hockey. Teams like certain arenas and playing against certain teams, despite the changing casts. And it seems to me, although players and coaches change, "teams" remember wins and losses vs an opponent, even if some of the players were not there. It is like a remembered culture. "We always beat so and so ... " "We always play well there ... " "We always get up to play those guys ... "

After losing 16 of 17 to the Lions, over time, a certain motivation builds up, even though most of the players are new to the series of games.

So it seems to me ...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: ...The Argos really play like a dirty team. That hit on Moore who had not caught the ball was nasty. And the Argos know how to play chippy. The Lions don't. In a chippy game, that is all to the Argos' advantage.....
Agreed and somehow it was the Lions who were getting the roughing flags. Its that fine line. Parks and Marsh have that nastiness, IMO.

Probably got my rose coloured glasses on here but some good tonight, IMO. Brown seemed to have his best night so far but most kicks seem to be brought back via flags (those infractions maybe why he returned well, I'm betting). Sure was nice seeing the Lions hold the ball, convert 3 down gambles etc... but to see them end up in field goals :bang:

I know its nothing but its weird to me how all the teams that lost this weekend have one more game before their bye, whereas all winners will have to play during our bye week.
David
Team Captain

Pathetic effort.

I've found in the past there's an inverse relationship between robust Twitter activity before a game and the Lions' focus and intensity. I was hoping against hope this wouldn't be the case but sadly, it was.

Only Nick Moore, Andrew Harris, and Tim Brown came to play tonight.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Tuesday night football???

Meh, game sucked. Hard to get excited on a Tuesday

I'm guessing after this stellar performance along with Winnipeg's usual start, we may be seeing less than 25K for Mondays game.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
jwbavalon
Rookie

Yikes.