Who remembers...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:when you could drive in this city. Today it just came out that Vancouver rates as the second most traffic congested city in North America right behind LA. Yep, all them bike lanes sure are making a big difference.
Thanks to mayor Moonbeam and his council
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I remember when you didnt need bike lanes, you just rode whereever you wanted to go.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

When we had no smog.

First time I noticed it was golfing at The Falls course, many years ago, way out of town. Looking back at the smog created in Vancouver, which, because of the off shore breezes, was moving towards the suburbs. I had never noticed the smog before.

When we had no gangs. No drug crime. No shootings. No break ins beating up elders. No traffic jams. Inexpensive real estate. Kids could go out and play all day unsupervised.

Still have free parks. Good water. Reasonably good air. Relatively safe.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

bumper stickers, that said " I found it", which were made by a religious group

the funny thing is, other bumper stickers started showing up saying " I lost it".

Then one day I saw one that said " who the hell needs it". :rotf:

If memory serves, this would have been mid to late 70's

I mean no offence to people who are religious, I like the sense of humour.
Bighill is Badass
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

when hockey goalies in a game stood higher than their width.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Who remembers how different a ride on the skytrain used to look in 1986 versus now?

[video][/video]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

There is definitely a huge rivalry between Vancouver and Toronto in many areas including sports and there's definitely a love-hate relationship between the two cities. But the love aspect from Vancouver (and all of Canada for that matter, possibly notwithstanding Montreal since their Expos couldn't do the same) was very apparent and evident when they were so ecstatic when the Blue Jays won the World Series in 1992 and repeated it again in 1993. Here are the deciding game 6's in its entirety for both World Series.

[video][/video]
[video][/video]
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

do you remember this?

were you there?

did you watch it live?

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

AC/DC Rocks wrote:
I mean no offence to people who are religious,
I, on the other hand, do like to offend the religious. Just ask around! :yahoo:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
AC/DC Rocks wrote:
I mean no offence to people who are religious,
I, on the other hand, do like to offend the religious. Just ask around! :yahoo:
a truly religious person cannot be offended.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Today, July 13, 2013 the Toronto Blue Jays won 7-3 at Baltimore Orioles and it was exactly 20 years ago on July 13, 1993 when a very memorable moment also occurred involving Blue Jays in Baltimore. The 1993 MLB All-Star game was being held at Camden Yard in Baltimore and Toronto's Cito Gaston managed the American League team and led them to a 9-3 win. But nevertheless Orioles fans were incensed over the fact that at the top of the ninth with a comfortable lead, Gaston did not bring the Orioles' star pitcher Mike Mussina to close the game while he warmed up in the bullpen. Instead, he brought out his own Blue Jays pitcher Duane Ward to finish out the game.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Today, July 13, 2013 the Toronto Blue Jays won 7-3 at Baltimore Orioles and it was exactly 20 years ago on July 13, 1993 when a very memorable moment also occurred involving Blue Jays in Baltimore. The 1993 MLB All-Star game was being held at Camden Yard in Baltimore and Toronto's Cito Gaston managed the American League team and led them to a 9-3 win. But nevertheless Orioles fans were incensed over the fact that at the top of the ninth with a comfortable lead, Gaston did not bring the Orioles' star pitcher Mike Mussina to close the game while he warmed up in the bullpen. Instead, he brought out his own Blue Jays pitcher Duane Ward to finish out the game.
hey I recall that, and that Gaston was also under fire for completing his lineup with Blue Jay players. It would be nice to be in that position once again, from a Blue Jays fans perspective of course.
Entertainment value = an all time low