Ultimate Lions fan VIP road trip to Mosiac

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote: Since i did get to go last year, you are right that it is good to have others also get the great fan experience that travelling with the team provides. However what the Lions don't seem to get is that for those living outside the lower mainline season tickets are not feasible, but one time big events like the VIP trip are doable. The Lions need to be more inclusive on what they are offering their fans if they want to live up to their slogan, "The Pride of All B.C>"
I didn't know you got to go on the trip last year. Hope it was as fun as I'm thinking this years will be. That being said, I do think the Lions need to do what they can to be inclusive to being for all BC.

One thing, its obvious due to the demand this is something they should have done a long time ago.......
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

notahomer wrote:
DanoT wrote: Since i did get to go last year, you are right that it is good to have others also get the great fan experience that travelling with the team provides. However what the Lions don't seem to get is that for those living outside the lower mainline season tickets are not feasible, but one time big events like the VIP trip are doable. The Lions need to be more inclusive on what they are offering their fans if they want to live up to their slogan, "The Pride of All B.C>"
I didn't know you got to go on the trip last year. Hope it was as fun as I'm thinking this years will be. That being said, I do think the Lions need to do what they can to be inclusive to being for all BC.

One thing, its obvious due to the demand this is something they should have done a long time ago.......
Yeah, it was a blast, which is why I am upset that I am not allowed to go this year! All of the Rider fans that I talked to at the tail gate party were wondering what the 30-40 people dressed in Lions colours where doing there and they were blown away (and jealous) when they found out we were travelling with the team.

Enjoy the trip. I know you will. :beauty:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Danny, sorry to hear you're on the outside looking in this time. A 3-game pack for a Vancouver Islander is still one hell of a commitment (and cost) to support the Lions. The club should consider this for their fans outside of the Lower Mainland area.

Have booked the Winnipeg trip as it has been on my radar screen since Dennis Skulsky announced that was their intentions during the trip to Regina last year. $200 bump in price but still reasonable given the experience that comes with it. Extra cost reflects travel agency's involvement this time and the Lions including a customized jersey into the cost (they did give us quite a swag package last year too). Hoping its the tackle twill as they are now doing all their own customized work out of the Surrey office instead of the Hockey Shop. Looks like the Winnipeg trip would cost a minimum of $600 to do it outside the package deal so all the extra perks more than makes up the difference.

As DanoT points out, the Regina trip was amazing. Nothing like shadowing your favourite pro sports team on a 40 hour road trip and having Elliminian sitting next to you on the flight to and from Vancouver. Also just being in a city where CFL football is front and centre.
LFITQ
Team Captain

I see someone else has picked up my "all BC" mantra while I have been away. ;) :beer: :cool:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

For those of you without STs lamenting your non-eligibility for one of these three Operation Orange VIP trips, there's still a chance yet, albeit admittedly slim. I just got an email an hour ago advising there are a still a small number of slots available and that those which remain as of Wed Jul 3, 12 noon, will be released to the general public. From the wording of the email it sounds like there are slots remaining on all three games, but don't quote me on that.

Stay tuned!
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I had tried to buy a ticket a couple weeks ago but as i live in Victoria i am not a season ticket holder so the Lions said that they would go on sale to the public if not sold out to ST holders within a reasonable time. They put me on a waiting list. I didn't hold out much hope.

I got a phone call today saying that unsold tickets go on sale to the public on Wednesday but i could buy now. There were 3 tickets left for Winnipeg and now there are 2. :beauty:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I had tried to buy a ticket a couple weeks ago but as i live in Victoria i am not a season ticket holder so the Lions said that they would go on sale to the public if not sold out to ST holders within a reasonable time. They put me on a waiting list. I didn't hold out much hope.

I got a phone call today saying that unsold tickets go on sale to the public on Wednesday but i could buy now. There were 3 tickets left for Winnipeg and now there are 2. :beauty:
AWESOME! I called ASAP when I got the offer as I ASSUMMED they'd all be snapped up pretty quick. I'm just dying to see that new Bomber Shelter/Stadium......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Got an email from the Lions yesterday; while the Winnipeg trip is sold out, there are surprisingly still some slots available for both Saskatchewan trips. Mind you, that was 24 hours ago so they may be gone by now.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:Since i did get to go last year, you are right that it is good to have others also get the great fan experience that travelling with the team provides. However what the Lions don't seem to get is that for those living outside the lower mainline season tickets are not feasible, but one time big events like the VIP trip are doable. The Lions need to be more inclusive on what they are offering their fans if they want to live up to their slogan, "The Pride of All B.C>"
It's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't for the Lions. As much as the club would like to be more inclusive they also want to add value to ST holder packages to make them more attractive. One way of doing that is to provide perks such as getting first dibs on things like playoff tickets, additional regular season tickets, Grey Cup tickets and things like Operation Orange. I can feel your pain having been a Vancouver Island ST holder from about for 15 years before moving to PG in 1995. Back then It was a 4 hour drive for me just to get to Departure Bay to catch a ferry. I kept my STs until about 2000 and finally renewed again in 2011. As such I am well aware of both sides of that coin. I know how costly it is to have STs when one has to endure significant cost and time to make games. I also understand how important it for the club to provide value-added options to ST holders. I looked at the Operation Orange roadtrips and seriously thought about them but coming from PG adds another $500 to the cost.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Too bad the Lions couldn't offer fans free travel to all their away games like this English Premier League soccer team:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23376497
Stoke City fans offered free travel for away games
19 July 2013 Last updated at 12:11 GMT

Stoke City are offering supporters free coach travel to all 19 of their Premier League away games this season.

Beginning with the trip to Liverpool on the first day of the season, coaches will take fans from the Britannia Stadium to each away league fixture.

The club are using the increase in TV revenue to fund the initiative.

"We've done it for the odd game, but not the whole season. I'm not aware of anyone that has," chief executive Tony Scholes told BBC Midlands Today.

Stoke previously subsidised ticket prices for those travelling to an FA Cup quarter-final tie at Anfield, waiving their right to 45% of the away ticket sales so they could offer tickets to fans at £20 instead of £35.

"We were looking at this around a year ago, looking at what we could do to keep football as affordable as possible," Scholes continued.

"Our home match tickets haven't gone up for the last five years but everyone knows following their team away from home can be expensive.

"With the new broadcasting deals that came in, that arguably gave us the opportunity to do something and spend a little bit of money back on the supporters."

The new £3bn Premier League TV deal will see top-flight sides receive £55m a year, and even if a club is relegated, they will still receive parachute payments of around £60m.
Road trips in a geographical small country like England are pretty short compared to what the Lions have to go through, all the shorter considering Stoke City is in almost the geographic centre of England. All of their EPL rivals are closer than we are to Calgary so the team probably doesn't even fly for some (many? most? all?) of them, like the fans who get this free coach travel. Probably same-day return, too, so you don't even need a hotel, just buy the game ticket and you're good to go.
The_Pauser
Legend

Well I'm confirmed for the trip to Regina this Saturday. I was supposed to be in Vienna, so this was a last-minute booking. I was supposed to be in Europe for this entire month...sprained my ankle in Prague but kept pushing forward. In Krakow I ended up getting drugged, and mugged (punched in the face several times and then they stole my iPhone). Then in a separate incident, outside of a night club that I wasn't even at the bouncers started pepper spraying any foreigner that was in the vicinity. I had enough and decided to prematurely end my vacation, sadly. Today at the game I saw the advertisement for this road trip and figured to book it. It definitely helps cheer me up and I'm so excited. Will anyone here be going as well?
Roar you Lions roar!
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:Well I'm confirmed for the trip to Regina this Saturday. I was supposed to be in Vienna, so this was a last-minute booking. I was supposed to be in Europe for this entire month...sprained my ankle in Prague but kept pushing forward. In Krakow I ended up getting drugged, and mugged (punched in the face several times and then they stole my iPhone). Then in a separate incident, outside of a night club that I wasn't even at the bouncers started pepper spraying any foreigner that was in the vicinity. I had enough and decided to prematurely end my vacation, sadly. Today at the game I saw the advertisement for this road trip and figured to book it. It definitely helps cheer me up and I'm so excited. Will anyone here be going as well?
im going! cant wait! sorry to hear that that happend to you though :(
2012 Season Ticket Holder
The_Pauser
Legend

We've touched down in Regina and are now on the bus heading to Mosaic. Amazing time so far mingling with the players.
Roar you Lions roar!
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

what an amazing experience :) my pics from the trip and the season :) https://www.facebook.com/Bunktuzzi/medi ... 256&type=3
2012 Season Ticket Holder
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:what an amazing experience :) my pics from the trip and the season :) https://www.facebook.com/Bunktuzzi/medi ... 256&type=3

glad you had a blast.... nice to watch a win too, I'm betting!!!