Team 1040 reporting Mitchell to Argos.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Looks like Mitchell is not the only one who wants out of his contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=419896
tsn sure slow to get on this one. ticats fans have been discussing this for over 3 weeks.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
joe kapp22
Legend

I liked Khaliff and still like him, but he seems to lack maturity as a high profile professional athlete.

Do agree that Wally B did him a huge favor by keeping his contract intact as otherwise he'd just be a street FA.

Wish him well in Argo Blue, except when he plays us. :beer:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
The_Pauser
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:I do wish Andrew had kept those thoughts to himself. There are some thoughts that are simply better not to express. The departure of a team mate no matter how much you may not like him should not be subject matter for twitter or any other public media other than to just take the high road, wish him success in his new role with a new team and leave it at that.
I seem to recall Angus Reid making similar comments, on TV, about Casey Printers a couple years ago when Printers was released and hardly anyone complained about it.
Roar you Lions roar!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't really care who is making the comments or about which player. Others may feel differently than I but simply put, it seems like a bit of bad form. You may not like a guy but you don't need to advertise it either. What is the saying....."if you can't say anything good, don't say anything"
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Looks like Mitchell is not the only one who wants out of his contract.

I think he is paid $55,000 a year. I am not sure of what they knew of his ability at the time of the contract but it appears Obie and co. signed this guy cheap and now the Ticats are getting it back in a less than loyal player who is stuck in that $$$ contract unless he extends. No extension, no money.
I'm not sure if that would be considered being signed cheap. It may not be fair but I think you'd find $55K to be around what the CFL market pays for import rookies unless they are QBs or have more than a training camp cup of coffee and a bit of PR time on their NFL resume. In many ways the CFL CBA does the players no favours. The option year is archaic in pro sports. I think the CFL may be the only league in pro sports where a player cannot sign a true 1 year contract. As such teams hold most of the cards and a player can easily paint himself into a corner as Williams has.

Williams has 3 options:
1) Suck it up and play for CFL peanuts this season hopefully putting up another impressive season while risking an injury that might seriously hamper his NFL aspirations. Potential earnings loss? $350K.
2) Sign an extension. The way CFL contracts work he cannot sign an extension that would allow him to be a FA after 2013. He'd be closing the NFL window until 2015 at the earliest. Assuming he gets bumped to $150K which might be stretching things potential earnings loss? $600K.
3) Simply sit out this year which is well within his rights. He'd be passing up his CFL money but would also be removing the injury risk.

There are no guarantees he'd stick in the NFL but the money difference and lure of it is vast. NFL minimum for a rookie this year is $405K. In 2014 it jumps to $420K. In Williams' case he would earn $900K over the next 2 years if he were to go south now and make an active NFL roster for those 2 years. For the player it becomes quite a conundrum.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnHenry
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:

I think he is paid $55,000 a year. I am not sure of what they knew of his ability at the time of the contract but it appears Obie and co. signed this guy cheap and now the Ticats are getting it back in a less than loyal player who is stuck in that $$$ contract unless he extends. No extension, no money.
I'm not sure if that would be considered being signed cheap. It may not be fair but I think you'd find $55K to be around what the CFL market pays for import rookies unless they are QBs or have more than a training camp cup of coffee and a bit of PR time on their NFL resume. In many ways the CFL CBA does the players no favours. The option year is archaic in pro sports. I think the CFL may be the only league in pro sports where a player cannot sign a true 1 year contract. As such teams hold most of the cards and a player can easily paint himself into a corner as Williams has.

Williams has 3 options:
1) Suck it up and play for CFL peanuts this season hopefully putting up another impressive season while risking an injury that might seriously hamper his NFL aspirations. Potential earnings loss? $350K.
2) Sign an extension. The way CFL contracts work he cannot sign an extension that would allow him to be a FA after 2013. He'd be closing the NFL window until 2015 at the earliest. Assuming he gets bumped to $150K which might be stretching things potential earnings loss? $600K.
3) Simply sit out this year which is well within his rights. He'd be passing up his CFL money but would also be removing the injury risk.

There are no guarantees he'd stick in the NFL but the money difference and lure of it is vast. NFL minimum for a rookie this year is $405K. In 2014 it jumps to $420K. In Williams' case he would earn $900K over the next 2 years if he were to go south now and make an active NFL roster for those 2 years. For the player it becomes quite a conundrum.
Williams already had extensive tryouts with 2 NFL teams and couldn't make the cut. If he never signed in the CFL, his football career would probably have been over. There is no conundrum, he needs to honour his contract. Nothing good will transpire if he sits out a season, pouts or complains about the contract he signed.

Not sure how many 150-lb players there are in the NFL or why they even need kick returners, aren't they legislating them out of the NFL?...a player could get hurt out there.
------------------------
With regards to Khalif Mitchell, you could never meet a nicer guy. While some of his actions on the field could be construed as selfish, more likely he cared too much for his team and wanted to dominate his position and win at any cost. The Lions had little choice but to let him go, but I wouldn't question Khalif's dedication to the Lions and his teammates.

:roar:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote:Williams already had extensive tryouts with 2 NFL teams and couldn't make the cut. If he never signed in the CFL, his football career would probably have been over. There is no conundrum, he needs to honour his contract. Nothing good will transpire if he sits out a season, pouts or complains about the contract he signed.

Not sure how many 150-lb players there are in the NFL or why they even need kick returners, aren't they legislating them out of the NFL?...a player could get hurt out there. :roar:
Not sure I'd call them extensive. He had one training camp with the Dolphins back in 2009. He hadn't yet turned 22 back then. Later that fall he had a 9 day cup of coffee on the Browns' PR. Big difference I think between making it as a 21 year old raw rookie versus a 25 year old veteran with 2 full seasons of pro ball under his belt. Cam Wake couldn't make the cut in his first NFL go-around either and things worked out pretty good for him. Wake, like Stefan Logan and Elimimian, was able to try the NFL under the option year window. I'm still a big supporter of the option year clause and hope they bring it back. If it was still in place we wouldn't be having this discussion. Williams could be trying the NFL out again and the Ti-Cats would retain his rights if he didn't make it this year. That IMO can become a win-win-win for the player, the Ti-Cats and the Ti-Cats fans. Now he can wait a year and leave as a FA. If he doesn't make it he comes back to likely sign with anybody but the Ti-Cats.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:Williams already had extensive tryouts with 2 NFL teams and couldn't make the cut. If he never signed in the CFL, his football career would probably have been over. There is no conundrum, he needs to honour his contract. Nothing good will transpire if he sits out a season, pouts or complains about the contract he signed.

Not sure how many 150-lb players there are in the NFL or why they even need kick returners, aren't they legislating them out of the NFL?...a player could get hurt out there. :roar:
Not sure I'd call them extensive. He had one training camp with the Dolphins back in 2009. He hadn't yet turned 22 back then. Later that fall he had a 9 day cup of coffee on the Browns' PR. Big difference I think between making it as a 21 year old raw rookie versus a 25 year old veteran with 2 full seasons of pro ball under his belt. Cam Wake couldn't make the cut in his first NFL go-around either and things worked out pretty good for him. Wake, like Stefan Logan and Elimimian, was able to try the NFL under the option year window. I'm still a big supporter of the option year clause and hope they bring it back. If it was still in place we wouldn't be having this discussion. Williams could be trying the NFL out again and the Ti-Cats would retain his rights if he didn't make it this year. That IMO can become a win-win-win for the player, the Ti-Cats and the Ti-Cats fans. Now he can wait a year and leave as a FA. If he doesn't make it he comes back to likely sign with anybody but the Ti-Cats.
I too agree with the old system that allowed an player in his option year to try the NFL, but then had to return to his old CFL team if the NFL didn't work out which was usually the case.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Controversial or not, we're going to miss his great piano skills. I know I've posted this before, but I'll post it again and let this be a farewell memory of him, as we all want to be remembered by their good aspects.

Last edited by Robbie on Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
korey&dante4ever
Champion

The fact that we don't get to know who the neg list player is that we received in the trade is destroying my soul. All we get is a few hints from Ullrich and Beamish:

-----------------------------------

"B.C. received a fellow defensive lineman, 29-year-old reserve import Adrian Awasom, and an undisclosed defensive back with NFL experience with the St. Louis Rams who had been on the Argos' negotiation list"

"Buono said the negotiation list player the Lions received in the Mitchell trade is not a throw-in but a defensive back with some NFL experience. The Lions have been following him with interest for a couple of years and intend to have him at their upcoming free-agent camp in Atlanta."

----------------------------------

Tye Hill was my first instinct, though he's been out of the NFL for a while and probably made more than enough money being a former 1st rounder down there.

Jonathan Wade? Nate Ness? Cord Banks?. Quick wikipedia search of recent former Rams DB's.

Sigh. Let the guessing continue..
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
David
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:With regards to Khalif Mitchell, you could never meet a nicer guy. While some of his actions on the field could be construed as selfish, more likely he cared too much for his team and wanted to dominate his position and win at any cost. The Lions had little choice but to let him go, but I wouldn't question Khalif's dedication to the Lions and his teammates.

:whs:

Far be it for me to contradict Andrew Harris who worked with Khalif everyday, but having watched virtually all of TSN's post game locker room speeches/game balls following Lions' wins for the past couple of years, it was quite clear to me that Khalif exhibited a love and loyalty toward his teammates and the uniform.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:With regards to Khalif Mitchell, you could never meet a nicer guy. While some of his actions on the field could be construed as selfish, more likely he cared too much for his team and wanted to dominate his position and win at any cost. The Lions had little choice but to let him go, but I wouldn't question Khalif's dedication to the Lions and his teammates.

:whs:

Far be it for me to contradict Andrew Harris who worked with Khalif everyday, but having watched virtually all of TSN's post game locker room speeches/game balls following Lions' wins for the past couple of years, it was quite clear to me that Khalif exhibited a love and loyalty toward his teammates and the uniform.

DH :cool:
Anyone who thinks that Khalif Mitchell, diagnosed with adult ADD could just overcome this disorder with more willpower, the advice of a few teammates, or even a few visits with the team psychologist (if that even happened) doesn't understand the brain chemistry of the disorder or how difficult it is for the individual to manage.

A few of the major symptoms of adult ADD includes problems with impulsivity, restlessness, and emotional difficulties:

~ poor self-control
~blurting out thoughts that are rude or inappropriate without thinking
~acting recklessly or spontaneously without regard for consequences
~not dealing well with frustration
~easily flustered
~irritability or mood swings
~hypersensitivity to criticism
~short, often explosive, temper
~feelings of inner restlessness, agitation
~tendency to take risks
~getting bored easily
~racing thoughts
~rouble sitting still; constant fidgeting
~craving for excitement
~talking excessively

Without going into more details about the difficulty of dealing with ADD its a very challenging disorder that impacts a lot of areas of an individual's life. Football is also a game of discipline and self-control within a violent sport.

The high level of structure that football offers has probably been very helpful to Khalif in helping to manage his ADD. At the same time, the impulsivity that comes with the disorder has hurt him from his comments to his impulsivity during games.

It looks like a problem of immaturity but its not. I was disappointed to read Andrew Harris's comments and I, like many others on this website like Andrew Harris a lot. I also understand Harris' frustration. A friend of mine has adult ADD - a fantastic guy with a heart of gold, like Khalif Mitchell but also very frustrating at times too.

Whether the Lions helped Mitchell enough or should have been tougher on him is conjecture and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Our Leos were dealing with a complex disorder and a very sensitive individual and Khalif was dealing with a very significant challenge. I like to think both tried to deal with it in the best way they could at the time and there were and are no magic answers.

I will try to focus my memories on Khalif Mitchell's 2011 season, where he was almost unstoppable. I believe that Mitchell turned down Miami and the big signing bonus and potential big money because he really made the decision with his heart and love for his teammates. I also beleive that Mitchell needed a new start elsewhere, due to all the things that happened during the 2012 season.

I wish Khalif well in Toronto and his life. In the meantime, our Leos are making some key changes to a defense that was best in the CFL last season. That in itself is interesting and exciting.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I have expressed a lot of support for Khalif. And yet I would suggest that some of his actions and words are unacceptable. And he has not apologized for them. He may privately recognize their inappropriateness, but he hasn't made it public.

I consider Wally's leadership to be enlightened. He oftentimes views his players virtually like his own children. Help is available. Tutoring. Counseling. Psychological help. Mentoring. Older, wiser teammates. As far as football teams go, the Lions are pretty much a family.

I think we all recognize that Khalif has issues. It seems to me the Lions as an organization, and as individuals, did what they could to keep Khalif safely in the den. This is true of Wally, Benny and various veteran players.

Khalif spoke from the heart after the Grey Cup win. He came back to the Lions, rejecting an offer from the NFL. And, sad to say, he used up the tolerance of the Lions' staff and players.

I wish him well. And I have concerns about his well being as time goes on. I think it is evident he makes quite a few poor decisions in his behaviour. How much tolerance there is for those decisions (considering his issues) is an individual, and an organizational matter.
South Pender
Legend

Blitz wrote: Anyone who thinks that Khalif Mitchell, diagnosed with adult ADD could just overcome this disorder with more willpower, the advice of a few teammates, or even a few visits with the team psychologist (if that even happened) doesn't understand the brain chemistry of the disorder or how difficult it is for the individual to manage.
Blitz, do we know for a fact that Mitchell was properly diagnosed (that is, by a qualified clinical psychologist or neuropsychologist) with ADD? Or was this simply an inference some people drew from his behaviour? Or was it Mitchell's own self-diagnosis? I think that before explaining bad behaviour by blaming neurological and biochemical factors, we need to be sure that this condition was, truly in fact, a part of his neuropsychology. I'm not doubting this diagnosis for Mitchell, just inquiring as to whether it was properly arrived-at.
Blitz
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
Blitz wrote: Anyone who thinks that Khalif Mitchell, diagnosed with adult ADD could just overcome this disorder with more willpower, the advice of a few teammates, or even a few visits with the team psychologist (if that even happened) doesn't understand the brain chemistry of the disorder or how difficult it is for the individual to manage.
Blitz, do we know for a fact that Mitchell was properly diagnosed (that is, by a qualified clinical psychologist or neuropsychologist) with ADD? Or was this simply an inference some people drew from his behaviour? Or was it Mitchell's own self-diagnosis? I think that before explaining bad behaviour by blaming neurological and biochemical factors, we need to be sure that this condition was, truly in fact, a part of his neuropsychology. I'm not doubting this diagnosis for Mitchell, just inquiring as to whether it was properly arrived-at.
This is the information that has been shared regarding Khalif Mitchell

~The diagnosis is ADHD, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which is even more complex that attention deficit disorder
~Khalif Mitchell is also dyslexic
~Khalif takes prescriptions for his ADHD and has done so since 2009
~He was diagnosed with ADHD at East Carolina, where he played his college football
~Khalif began taking medications for his ADHD when he was on the San Francisco 49'ers roster and where he consulted a specialist and also engaged in counseling with an NFL psychiatrist
~B.C. Lions players only learned of Mitchell's ADHD diagnosis in October, following Mitchell's Twitter remarks and his one game suspension by Leos management.
~While no details have ever been provided the Lions coaching staff and management were aware of his issues and worked with him on treatment.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)