2013 CFL free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote: Oh, by the way, are Marsh and Phillips still in the fold (i.e., not able to go elsewhere this year)? If so, all we might need at the back end is a decent safety.
Phillips was extended earlier.
Blitz
Team Captain

Some very good news today.

The biggest story was Olifoye signing with our Leos. It was a very positive development, especially since our offensive line was the area that we need to pay the most attention to for next season. Our Leos will sign Hameister-Rees to play for injured Dean Valli, who will not start the season at guard, providing Hamister-Rees can pass his medical.

Eliminian signed, with reports that the key to his signing was guaranteed playing time. How that will play out will be interesting, with Bighill and McKenzie playing so well last year and we need a nickel back at linebacker on passing downs. However, Eliminian is young and an eventual replacement for McKenzie.

Korey Banks, my favorite Leo, since he arrived here signed an extension. He has been the heart and soul of our defense since Carl Kidd's retirement.

Finally and surprisingly Paris Jackson will be back for next season. I hope that Paris can get more time in the offensive receiver rotation - his heart is in B.C. and he will provide vet leadership and a positive attitude.

All, in all, a very good news day. If we can sign a free agent offensive lineman, it will add an exclamation point to another very good off-season, as we enjoyed last year as well.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

FA13: Winnipeg inks non-import OL Mark Dewit

Posted: February 15, 2013 12:00 AM

CFL.ca Staff
#CFLFA13

WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have announced that they have agreed to terms with non-import free agent offensive lineman Mark Dewit. As per team policy, details of the agreement were not disclosed.

Dewit was originally drafted 42nd overall by the Toronto Argonauts in the 2008 CFL Draft. He spent the 2012 season with the Calgary Stampeders after being acquired in the trade that also brought Kevin Glenn to Calgary, playing in nine games with the Stamps and starting two.

He spent the 2011 season in Hamilton, also playing in nine regular season games and the Ti-Cats’ two playoff games. Overall, he has played 54 regular games throughout his CFL career.

“Mark has experience in our league playing in over 50 games throughout his career, and we look forward to watching him compete on our offensive line in 2013, said Vice-President and General Manager Joe Mack.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Remove Mark Dewit from the free agent list.

I'm thinking Wally is not as worried as some fans about our O Line. It doesn't sound like Mack broke the bank to sign Dewit. Nor does it sound like he promised much of anything in terms of playing time.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Canadian tackle Jeff Perrett sticks with Alouettes

By QMI Agency

Offensive tackle Jeff Perrett is staying with the Montreal Alouettes, signing a new three-year deal with the club Tuesday.

The Lethbridge, Alta., native played in 14 games in 2012, missing four weeks with a hyper-extended left knee.

"Today's signing allows us to go to camp with our offensive line intact from one year ago," Alouettes general manager Jim Popp said. "Jeff brings a massive, imposing figure to the right tackle position and is a very difficult player to get around to get to the quarterback."

The 28-year-old is the fourth Canadian lineman to extend with the Alouettes in the off-season, joining guards Andrew Woodruff, Kristian Matte and Ryan Bomben.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 74416.html

Popp had 4 free agent NI O Linemen in the off season. He got them all re-upped. All I can say is good for him. He brought them in. His coaches developed them. So I guess it is fair to say he is entitled to keep them.

Not much left out there. Three guys ... two with unpronounceable names :wink: plus Steenbergen.

Earlier discussion of O Line issues from December ...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26560&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
joe kapp22
Legend

Gore, Jovan O, Sol-E

Wally has kept the maybe head South guys

Muamba though, hurts us in NI starters on D

JHR is set to re-up pending a physical in March
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

joe kapp22 wrote:Gore, Jovan O, Sol-E

Wally has kept the maybe head South guys

Muamba though, hurts us in NI starters on D

JHR is set to re-up pending a physical in March
I would like Muamba back. Not sure how the Lions feel. I do not think that they would have given up on him.

Who knows about JonHR? He doesn't have many miles on him. Could he suddenly be over with all his injuries? When healthy, IMO he is very solid.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
South Pender wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:It appears the Lions are highly interested in NI DL Brian Bulcke.
This is a surprise! We seem pretty deep at that position already. Could Wally be moving towards more NIs on the D-line and maybe one import more on the O-line?
Either that or the media/agents haven't got a clue what's going on. Everyone was saying Elimimian wouldn't be back in BC and low and behold he's back. Not sure if I'd trust the media anymore lol.
A good agent is also good at keeping a GM wondering whether he just might go to free agency. Just listening to the phone interview with Black and Forde with SE and SE was asked about how'd they play he and AB. He just said they will play but did not sound like it would anything like a 30 with both out at the same time

TSN said that the Lions stepped up to re-sign Paris Jackson when another team expressed interest in a trade.

edit: now listening to the Wally tape with forde and black on SE. Nothing specific. Off season to plan what kind of defenses for the coaches.

Two very changed media people in BC. Wally and his interview with Black and Forde shows a different, more relaxed, interesting interview - less uptight than he had to be as HC/GM and whatever else he had to do. The other guy is Luongo.

Buono is speaking on the team. He is as happy keeping their potential FAs as getting any one else's.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: I would like Muamba back. Not sure how the Lions feel. I do not think that they would have given up on him.
I'm more or less going 0 fer (much to my delight, actually) on predictions, but I'm surprised that Muamba isn't in Winnipeg.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:You can chalk up the Julius Williams signing today to Eric Tillman...he put the Esks in a position where they were going to have to lose some key personnel this year...Thanks Eric!
Is there something I missed? Tillman trading Ray freed up some cap space of significance for the Eskimos this offseason. They freed up enough cap space that the Eskimos signed Odell Willis, which made Williams expendable.

Not that I'm complaining.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
joe kapp22 wrote: I would like Muamba back. Not sure how the Lions feel. I do not think that they would have given up on him.
I'm more or less going 0 fer (much to my delight, actually) on predictions, but I'm surprised that Muamba isn't in Winnipeg.
Perhaps his asking price is too rich for the Bombers
JohnHenry
Champion

According to Sun's Beamish, Olifioye had an contract offer from the Browns and other NFL clubs but turned them down to stay with the Lions "and finish his career in B.C."

Eliminian also had a contract offer from the Browns and higher offers from other CFL clubs but elected to re-sign in B.C, against the advice of his agent.

The Argos Chad Kackert agreed to terms with the NY Jets but instead re-signed in Toronto. Chad Owens also turned down a Jets offer in 2011 to re-sign with the Argos.

With K. Mitchell rejecting the Dolphin's offer last year, which included a signing bonus, to re-sign in B.C...who said the CFL can't compete with NFL salaries? :cool:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I expect Elimimian will have a bounce back year after getting over his disappointment after being cut by the NFL
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:You can chalk up the Julius Williams signing today to Eric Tillman...he put the Esks in a position where they were going to have to lose some key personnel this year...Thanks Eric!
Guess Tillman wasn't as bad as some people would make him out to be. :wink:
Lots of people in Toronto are thanking him this year.